Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by laxfan1313 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:34 am Great Cornell turnout last evening for the induction of Paul Schimoler into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Next on the list, Bob Shaw & Craig Jaeger, two worthy candidates long overlooked.
Chousnake: last October (above), I posted about Paul Schimoler's posthumous induction into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame (the post was accompanied by a photo that didn't display above, showing the many supporters of Paul's induction). Paul was one of the greatest goalies and Cornell players in history, a 4-time All America selection (1986-9), Ivy League Rookie of the Year (1986), Ivy League Player of the Year (1989), twice 1st Team All-Ivy. Paul still holds the record for most saves in an NCAA tournament (85 in 1988). Paul tragically died in 2013 from brain cancer. Not a single person who regularly posts on the Cornell thread said a word about Paul in response to my post. Not one. In fact, I think only one person posted at all in response, and as memory serves me, it was MDLaxfan76, a fellow former Ivy League goalie, although not a Cornellian. That told me all I needed to know about people who post on the Cornell thread. VRR once referred to me derisively as the "keeper of the flame." I don't claim that title but do proudly support the Cornell lacrosse program. I'm not saying definitively that other posters aren't true Cornell supporters. However, the lack of any reaction to Schmoles' induction was quite revealing to me and quite sad.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:26 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:34 am Great Cornell turnout last evening for the induction of Paul Schimoler into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Next on the list, Bob Shaw & Craig Jaeger, two worthy candidates long overlooked.
Chousnake: last October (above), ...
Well, that settles it once and for all. You're officially Cornell Lacrosse Fan of the Year. Congrats!

ETA: Now if only you could figure out how to reply to a post in the Ivy League thread over in the Ivey League thread, when the original poster is much more likely to see it. Then you might actually make Forumite of the Year!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:26 pm
Chousnake: last October (above), ...
Well, that settles it once and for all. You're officially Cornell Lacrosse Fan of the Year. Congrats!

ETA: Now if only you could figure out how to reply to a post in the Ivy League thread over in the Ivey League thread, when the original poster is much more likely to see it. Then you might actually make Forumite of the Year!
My post on the Cornell thread was intentional as this is a Cornell issue, not an Ivy League issue. As Chousnake frequents the Cornell thread, he'll see it. But thanks for your sarcasm from East Hill.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

1313: I don't wish to be drawn into a debate, and I appreciate your updates based on your frequent interaction at events and games. With regard to #40, Paul Schimoler, I would respectfully make the following observations as instructive, and not argumentative:

1. Many of the of the long time posters here are '60's or '70's vintage, as far as I can tell. For the people from the 1960's, it might have been a bit easier to follow the team in the '70's due to the very high profile of the "streak years" in the 1970's.

2. As far as I can tell, there is only one poster from the late '80's, "CU88" who keeps us updated with links, and diplomatically reserved comments. There was another '80's poster on Laxpower, but he did not come over to Fan Lax. There seem to be several posters who graduated in more recent years as well.

3. For 70s people, like myself, it wasn't easy to keep up with the 1980's teams. Alumni updates were mailed, and not frequently. Also, Tim Goldstein was really the player in the spotlight. Jeff Tambroni was really the coach who reached out and actively rebuilt the Cornell alumni base, with the assistance of the internet.

4. The Alumni Game for '60's and '70's players was held during reunions, so students were gone. It was more difficult to meet players. There was no #10 golf tournament. To the credit of this former Alumni Game format, the Alumni Games were not filled with pro players, but with former players well past their prime. They were fun for all.

5. With respect to Paul Schimoler, there are a few "elephants in the room" I'd point out that might make people reserved about commenting:
a. There was a consistent and underlying amount of discussion (both on this board, and in other circles) that he, and not a currently
famous broadcaster, deserved the Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr Award in one particular year.
b. Early deaths of goalies from brain issues is particularly sensitive. Cornell has lost three goalies in the past decade from such.

6. The program has honored Paul by naming an award for alumnus of the year. I did not know him, and have heard only great things about him. It is heart breaking to see his family awarding this recognition in the pictures sent in alumni updates.

Go Big Red!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:01 pm 1313: I don't wish to be drawn into a debate, and I appreciate your updates based on your frequent interaction at events and games. With regard to #40, Paul Schimoler, I would respectfully make the following observations as instructive, and not argumentative:

1. Many of the of the long time posters here are '60's or '70's vintage, as far as I can tell. For the people from the 1960's, it might have been a bit easier to follow the team in the '70's due to the very high profile of the "streak years" in the 1970's.

2. As far as I can tell, there is only one poster from the late '80's, "CU88" who keeps us updated with links, and diplomatically reserved comments. There was another '80's poster on Laxpower, but he did not come over to Fan Lax. There seem to be several posters who graduated in more recent years as well.

3. For 70s people, like myself, it wasn't easy to keep up with the 1980's teams. Alumni updates were mailed, and not frequently. Also, Tim Goldstein was really the player in the spotlight. Jeff Tambroni was really the coach who reached out and actively rebuilt the Cornell alumni base, with the assistance of the internet.

4. The Alumni Game for '60's and '70's players was held during reunions, so students were gone. It was more difficult to meet players. There was no #10 golf tournament. To the credit of this former Alumni Game format, the Alumni Games were not filled with pro players, but with former players well past their prime. They were fun for all.

5. With respect to Paul Schimoler, there are a few "elephants in the room" I'd point out that might make people reserved about commenting:
a. There was a consistent and underlying amount of discussion (both on this board, and in other circles) that he, and not a currently
famous broadcaster, deserved the Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr Award in one particular year.
b. Early deaths of goalies from brain issues is particularly sensitive. Cornell has lost three goalies in the past decade from such.

6. The program has honored Paul by naming an award for alumnus of the year. I did not know him, and have heard only great things about him. It is heart breaking to see his family awarding this recognition in the pictures sent in alumni updates.

Go Big Red!
Thanks for your comments faircornell. I can't speculate on why not a single Cornell poster expressed a thought concerning Paul. When he died in 2013, he was defensive coach at Dartmouth after coaching at St Michaels College for 8 years, so he was still in the public view. I must be wrong to think any Cornell supporter would express joy at the induction of a Cornell player in the National Hall of Fame. In closing, I must add his teammates worshipped him for his skill and character. Imagine a goalie with a career save percentage in the 60s. For those who didn't play with Paul, his instructions to his defensive teammates were when the opponent shot, don't look back, turn around and run because an outlet pass would be on the way. More often than not, it was. Rest in peace Schmoles.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i hate to be a complainer when lax is streamed on a cpu, but the camera angle is just too low.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The camera angle on LSN is making this game unwatchable.

Better now that they went to a higher angle.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:32 pm i hate to be a complainer when lax is streamed on a cpu, but the camera angle is just too low.
Definitely tough to follow with that angle.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

considering the six straight unanswered goals in just minutes (and 75% at the draw), i guess i'll watch...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

8-2 at end of first. Big effort by face off unit, 50/50 ground balls. Amazing shooting.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

so many different scorers, 10 straight goals. one literally ripped the net open.

wanted to point out- most of the goals have been up top, 10+ yards, almost all off-stickside. well done big red!
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

33 was lost in space on the 3rd PS Gail.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

12-5 at half. Cornell hustling on ground balls and defense. PSU with a flurish at the end of the half to make up the deficit. Offense for the Red is amazing.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

13-10 with 3:59 left in the 3rd. Big run for PSU
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

This third quarter is a nightmare.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

13-12 at end of third. PSU scoring almost at will. Cornell showing a lot of hustle against a really good team.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

18-17. Fantastic hustle. Fantastic win.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

instant classic! nice job big red. wow.

*if PSU ever slides to the ball, they could maybe be the top team in the country
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations Big Red on an unbelievable win! Love that they gave it to Teat for the tying goal (how PSU could’ve let a shortie switch to him I don’t know) and love that Cornell pushed it upfield when they got the ground ball in the last 20 seconds and went for the win instead of playing for overtime.

Fantastic game.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Wow! What a finish!

Angelo Petrakis, man of the match!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”