Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm I think we saw why Giacalone hasn’t won the starting job before today. Darby acquitted himself slightly.
Murphy is gaining confidence. Hawley the other bright spot...😉
Darby has had a leash that is miles long. Giacalone had a short piece of string. Not quite the way I would treat a senior in his first start of his entire career.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

So about that peer leadership from Captains and Seniors :shock:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm -there's no argument for connor, forry, zinn, hubler, reinson, mcmanus playing at all tuesday. The first midfield is garbage. Reinson/hubler/mcmanus can't grab gbs and can't guard anyone. I'm not sure what they saw in forry, but half the penalties we draw are after the play hits (guys playing w/out self control goes to his leadership) and he's invisible most saturdays. In the show the wire there's a lt named Rawls who has a detective named mcnulty who is a pain in his butt. He needs to know what he's up to all the time so he tells a second detective named santangelo that he needs to spy on mcnulty for him because while he can solve easy cases (dunkers) he's otherwise very bad at his job. This is the majority of players on this team. They can make a play when the moment is right, but they've consistently shown they can't when it gets any harder and even when the moment is right they flop. This is similar to several of the preceeding classes.
-I had friends who were football players at Hopkins, we've seen the recruiting videos of several hopkins players. There are some like watson that were rhodes finalists but there are fair number who academically would've been pressed to get into Rutgers. The admissions standards for the student body are ivy league caliber, for the athletics programs its rutgers/caa
-Quint mentioned this was the first poll ever where Hopkins did not recieve votes, this week will make 2, the following week will make 3.
-will dwan coach tuesday?
this is ridiculous. mcnulty put up with more political b.s. than cops would throughout about anywhere. rawls asked to keep an eye on him to make sure he wasn't crossing over the lines, often political.
he likely had more to do with pushing cases toward a result than anyone.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:16 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm -there's no argument for connor, forry, zinn, hubler, reinson, mcmanus playing at all tuesday. The first midfield is garbage. Reinson/hubler/mcmanus can't grab gbs and can't guard anyone. I'm not sure what they saw in forry, but half the penalties we draw are after the play hits (guys playing w/out self control goes to his leadership) and he's invisible most saturdays. In the show the wire there's a lt named Rawls who has a detective named mcnulty who is a pain in his butt. He needs to know what he's up to all the time so he tells a second detective named santangelo that he needs to spy on mcnulty for him because while he can solve easy cases (dunkers) he's otherwise very bad at his job. This is the majority of players on this team. They can make a play when the moment is right, but they've consistently shown they can't when it gets any harder and even when the moment is right they flop. This is similar to several of the preceeding classes.
-I had friends who were football players at Hopkins, we've seen the recruiting videos of several hopkins players. There are some like watson that were rhodes finalists but there are fair number who academically would've been pressed to get into Rutgers. The admissions standards for the student body are ivy league caliber, for the athletics programs its rutgers/caa
-Quint mentioned this was the first poll ever where Hopkins did not recieve votes, this week will make 2, the following week will make 3.
-will dwan coach tuesday?
this is ridiculous. mcnulty put up with more political b.s. than cops would throughout about anywhere. rawls asked to keep an eye on him to make sure he wasn't crossing over the lines, often political.
he likely had more to do with pushing cases toward a result than anyone.
Are we seriously discussing old police dramas on the Hopkins thread after a game? That’s about as useless as discussing lemon trees or cats.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm I think we saw why Giacalone hasn’t won the starting job before today. Darby acquitted himself slightly.
I checked the box score to specifically look for Hawley. He's a good player. I plan on watching later.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:15 pm they may not be b1g underdogs very often.
Um, what?

As things stand now, they'll be underdogs against Penn State, Maryland, and Ohio State.

@ Rutgers is probably a toss-up at best.

Only game where they'll probably be favored is at home against Michigan. And it's probably not by all that much.
a play on b1g. like not more than 3- 4 goals on the spread vs too many of them.
since you brought it up -- hop has destroyed mich every year, haven't they?
rutgers is more than beatable this year.
o state -- who knows hoo they are, even if they look 10x more athletic.
umd wouldn't seem in reach... yet who would thunk 2 wins last year? they even competed with penn state.

the season may not have a chance to be markedly different in a best case, but it's not over.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:08 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:38 pm Angelus either scores or assists every time he touches the ball.
Angelus to 1st line would be an upgrade
They must have some other offense they can pull from along with Angelus??
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:09 pm
Darby has had a leash that is miles long. Giacalone had a short piece of string. Not quite the way I would treat a senior in his first start of his entire career.

Giacalone is not the answer. When he has come in, desperation time, nothing to lose, overconfident shooters that have to adjust to a lefty. First start and he lays a stinker. Perhaps that’s what the coaches see in practice. If he was head and shoulders above the rest he would have started before now, imo
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Giacalone is not the answer. When he has come in, desperation time, nothing to lose, overconfident shooters that have to adjust to a lefty. First start and he lays a stinker. Perhaps that’s what the coaches see in practice. If he was head and shoulders above the rest he would have started before now, imo
I understand that and I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I would have gone down the line and given Marcille a shot. Maybe Giacalone isn’t the answer (I would have given him at least a full half), but we know Darby isn’t the answer either.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:07 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:00 pm

I understand that and I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I would have gone down the line and given Marcille a shot. Maybe Giacalone isn’t the answer (I would have given him at least a full half), but we know Darby isn’t the answer either.

DocBarrister :?
Yep, I have wondered why goalies don’t come to Hopkins anymore... or is the staff going after the wrong ones?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I wonder if Rapine and Foley would have helped today
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Q reported that Petro said pre-game that the starting GK was a "game-time decision". I'm no expert, but that seems unusual; AFAIK, coaches usually inform the starter a couple of days in advance (if there's any question as to who it will be) to give time to get mentally ready.

Also: first time I've gotten a good look at those cartoon helmets … I'd play badly too if I had to wear one of those ...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Darby wound up having a decent game, but they still lost by 6. I just don't get how you don't at least see what Gainey or Marcille can do in a real game. Worst case, they stink, and you lose anyway and are free to go back to Darby or whoever you want in the next game. Best case, maybe you find a new goalie for the rest of the year (and for future years).

If they still did postgame press conferences, that'd be something I'd expect the reporters to ask Petro about. Apparently accountability only applies to the players.

Unless we win like 7 of the next 8 games, including wins over Penn State and Maryland, the at-large goose is cooked. In other words...the at-large goose is cooked and it's AQ or bust. In a way that's almost liberating. These next couple games don't really matter! Why not fiddle with the lineup a little bit so that you feel good with where you're at by the time the B1G schedule rolls around.

Jaronski had 3 caused turnovers—when is the last time one of our poles had that many CTs in a game? It's not every day a Hopkins pole has 3 CT. That's like 6 CT for other teams. And it was as the #2 LSM. This season might be a total bust but I suppose if there's something that might convince some of you to come back from the ledge, it's that there does appear to be some interesting young talent on this team to build around in future seasons. Murphy and Angelus may have been our two best offensive players the last two weeks. Jaronski, Glassmeyer, Degnon, Zinn, McManus, Hawley—a lot of contributors in the freshman and sophomore classes. Add those to a healthy Epstein and Grimes/McDermott/Bauer/Scott Smith next year and maybe you have something, provided the staff—whether it's this one or another one—can capitalize on it.

Concannon is confirmed out for the year, BTW. I really, really feel for the kid and selfishly hope he is able to return healthy next year and contribute though I would totally understand if he decides to just call it a career at this point.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:21 pm Q reported that Petro said pre-game that the starting GK was a "game-time decision". I'm no expert, but that seems unusual; AFAIK, coaches usually inform the starter a couple of days in advance (if there's any question as to who it will be) to give time to get mentally ready.

Also: first time I've gotten a good look at those cartoon helmets … I'd play badly too if I had to wear one of those ...
Perhaps to not let SU shooters know if they are getting the righty or lefty?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:21 pm Q reported that Petro said pre-game that the starting GK was a "game-time decision". I'm no expert, but that seems unusual; AFAIK, coaches usually inform the starter a couple of days in advance (if there's any question as to who it will be) to give time to get mentally ready.

I’d imagine he’d told whoever was starting that they’d be starting a few days ago. Announcing it publicly at gametime was likely just posturing.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Anyone who thinks this staff is competent with goalies might remember the insider's posts on the old forum a few years ago. Laid out in great detail how Hopkins recruits great goalies and kills their careers.
Last edited by veryoldgoose on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

veryoldgoose wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm Anyone who thinks this staff is competent with goalies might remember the insider's posts on the old forum a few years ago. Laid out in great detail why Hopkins recruits great goalies and kills their careers.
where does the insider coach?
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:01 pm
veryoldgoose wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm Anyone who thinks this staff is competent with goalies might remember the insider's posts on the old forum a few years ago. Laid out in great detail why Hopkins recruits great goalies and kills their careers.
where does the insider coach?
If I recall the posts correctly, I believe the poster was a player on the team. But the posts got deleted.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

veryoldgoose wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm the insider's posts
I know what post you're talking about and maybe there was some truth to it, I have no idea, but you do realize this is an anonymous forum right? Anyone can come here claiming to be whoever they want and say whatever they want. There's a reason that post was deleted.

Regardless, it's clear that Larry Quinn—with all due respect to the legend—has not done a lick for this goaltending group. Feels like a wasted coaching slot. Meanwhile, you've got Tinney coaching up the road at Calvert Hall—I'd get him and his infectious energy on staff. He could help out with the middies, wings, transition play, and just generally be a younger/more relatable presence on staff.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:03 pm
veryoldgoose wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm the insider's posts
I know what post you're talking about and maybe there was some truth to it, I have no idea, but you do realize this is an anonymous forum right? Anyone can come here claiming to be whoever they want and say whatever they want. There's a reason that post was deleted.

Regardless, it's clear that Larry Quinn—with all due respect to the legend—has not done a lick for this goaltending group. Feels like a wasted coaching slot. Meanwhile, you've got Tinney coaching up the road at Calvert Hall—I'd get him and his infectious energy on staff. He could help out with the middies, wings, transition play, and just generally be a younger/more relatable presence on staff.
Oh I agree, thats probably why those posts got deleted. And for those that don't recall, the gist was the staff's mind-games that destroyed confidence. Regardless of whether that poster was telling the truth, we saw it in action today, hence why I bring it up.

No coach in their right mind does what Petro did today to his goalies. Kudos for Darby bouncing back, but everyone could see how Petro destroys goalies confidences.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”