Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu08 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:03 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:00 pm Take care of business, and you're 5-4 and probably nearing the top 10 if not in it
Lol what? We’re gonna be in/near the top 10 with wins over

Winless Towson
MSM
Navy
Delaware and
Michigan

Yeah right. And that’s a big IF that we even win all of those.

Short of us winning out and finishing 9-4, this team is already AQ or bust. Not enough quality wins left unless we win out.
Win the next 8 regular season games, then win the two B1G tournament games, and not only will Hopkins be top ten, but a top four NCAA tournament team! :shock: :o

DocBarrister :lol: <—— Insane, uncontrolled laughter tinged with mania and despair
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:40 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:25 pm Just to compare.

Hopkins has scored 2 or fewer goals over those 14 quarters - 9 times.

In other words, the entire team is a disaster, lacks talent and is poorly coached.
Just to update 10 of the last 15 quarters Hopkins offense has scored 2 or fewer goals.

Over same time 12 of the last 15 quarters Hopkins has given up 3 or more.
Just to update this
Defense has given up 3 goals or more in 13 of 16 quarters
Offense has scored 2 or less in 12 of 16.

That folks tells me this team stinks. It is bad coaching, bad stickwork, bad defense, not very good athletes, guys that don't know what they are doing and a stagnant offense that has not a single player that scares anyone.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Not even competitive at this point
GSP

Post by GSP »

Things are looking up!
It broke the streak of 7 goal losses if you do not count the stolen 'Cuse goal.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

other than that, how was the play, mrs lincoln?
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:09 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:00 pm Take care of business, and you're 5-4 and probably nearing the top 10 if not in it

Winless Towson
MSM
Navy
Delaware and
Michigan

Short of us winning out and finishing 9-4, this team is already AQ or bust. Not enough quality wins left unless we win out.
Win the next 8 regular season games, then win the two B1G tournament games, and not only will Hopkins be top ten, but a top four NCAA tournament team! :shock: :o

DocBarrister :lol: <—— Insane, uncontrolled laughter tinged with mania and despair
Doc is finally speaking some sense!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

on the bright side, everyone in the b1g is losing games. they may not be b1g underdogs very often.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Winless Towson
MSM
Navy
Delaware and
Michigan

Don’t forget the Fear and Loathing :)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:15 pm they may not be b1g underdogs very often.
Um, what?

As things stand now, they'll be underdogs against Penn State, Maryland, and Ohio State.

@ Rutgers is probably a toss-up at best.

Only game where they'll probably be favored is at home against Michigan. And it's probably not by all that much.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Vast majority of Division I teams would go 0-4 against Loyola, North Carolina, Princeton, and Syracuse. What’s most difficult to take is that the games have not been competitive.

Nothing for the Blue Jays to do now but go back to work, reset, and consider it a new season. Can’t take any opponent for granted. Just need to win one game at a time.

If there is any bright side to all of this, it’s the good play of the Blue Jays’ freshmen and sophomores. It’s the upperclassmen who really need to raise their game (talking to you, Cole Williams).

DocBarrister :(
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am
norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:19 pm Hopkins never had a policy that a great player could gain admission regardless of academic record. Plain and simple.

If an athlete did not meet standard but would otherwise attend there was a vetting process that had to decide whether they could be expected to graduate. It was conservative because if an exception was needed they didn’t want to make a mistake.

The demise of wooden sticks was due to a fire at a Canadian Indian factory. Bacharach, if memory serves, would choose sticks for the team to consider from their inventory.

If anyone had a pipeline to sticks by the Onandaga it was Cuse.

I would be tempted to argue lax players who graduated on average out earned the average grad.
Yes, Bacharach Raisin was the pipeline, Baltimore based. And Hopkins got first choice.
The demise was not a fire per se, it was the rise of the STX head. IMO.

And yeah, guys with abysmal academic records regularly got into Hopkins. Which in no way is to denigrate other guys, nor the ones with poor academic records for that matter...quite a lot of guys blossom quite successfully in their lives without being academic stars! And I know some very bright, accomplished Hop lax alums, so please don't misunderstand me.

By whether they could be expected to graduate, that of course involved what accommodations were available to get a less academically competent or motivated athlete through school, whether through gut courses or otherwise. Far from a Hop specific thing.

And I dare say that, at least in my era, UMD's rep for academic requirements was even less.

On the "out earned", I think there's definitely a phenomenon, probably even more so in earlier eras, of guys with a strong sports team background (with all that means) who thrive in the competitive world of business in particular. Gotta remember that Hopkins' undergraduate experience (especially in STEM) has historically been geared toward academia/research, not industry. Or medicine. The institution as a whole viewed business (and law) as crass.

I'm on the advisory board of The Center for Leadership Education, housed in the Whiting School of Engineering but serving the entire community, which is working to help build the 'soft skills' necessary to be leaders in industry as well. Good progress but more to be done, given the legacy of the academia bias.
With regards to underqualified lacrosse athletes "regularly getting in" - do you have facts or are these more anecdata? Hopkins has no problem getting undergraduates into the upper echelon of business fields today (especially in consulting, finance) and ofcourse comp sci which earns more than these other fields anyways. In fact placement at the top banking and consulting firms is pretty good. What needs to change (and is happening now) is more exposure to these fields to undergraduates.
On lax, anecdata.
In my day and for many decades, it was no mystery who could consider Hopkins and who they could get in.
And that, yes, regularly included some with abysmal academic records...the weren't "under qualified", they had exactly the sort of qualifications necessary...as a lacrosse player. Again, that's not to denigrate those players, or their team mates, or anyone else...read my post, please, in that regard.

I'm not saying that's identical today, but you betcha there's a big difference continuing today between the guys able to get in for say football or baseball than lacrosse. We can debate about whether that's appropriate or not, but it's a reality.

I'd be interested in your assertion that comp sci pays more than the upper echelons of business fields today (especially consulting and finance); Is this "anectdata"? Yes, Google and their ilk do grab a handful each year and pay top $, even before the kids even graduate, (as they certainly do at the Ivies, MIT, Stanford, etc) but you better be off the charts on the academic/brains side.

But here's my more serious question for you as you talk about comp sci or any other STEM background, what's the breakdown of majors for men's lax players versus football or baseball players at Hop, much less the guys and gals Google is picking?

Listen, I'm not saying that Hopkins could not or should not take an Ivy-like approach for lax, it's just that hasn't been the case to date (albeit I bet it's tougher today than in prior decades).

Let me also say that this isn't a particularly fruitful discussion... a lot of season ahead.
I'm at Google now in Mountain View and am ex-McKinsey. Directors and VPs at Google on average make more than partners at McKinsey. Due to recent regulations, companies now have to report median salaries: https://www.vox.com/2018/4/30/17301264/ ... alary-tech

CS Majors vs business majors have even higher earning potential at the top quant trading firms (Two Sigma, Citadel, Hudson River Trading, etc)

You can see how tech leads from a median salary perspective, which is actual hard data. Many of these tech companies are not on the same tier as google / FANG either.

You also don't have to be a genius to work at google and the vast majority of people hired full-time are from converted interns - only a handful are before they have graduated.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am
norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:03 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:19 pm Hopkins never had a policy that a great player could gain admission regardless of academic record. Plain and simple.

If an athlete did not meet standard but would otherwise attend there was a vetting process that had to decide whether they could be expected to graduate. It was conservative because if an exception was needed they didn’t want to make a mistake.

The demise of wooden sticks was due to a fire at a Canadian Indian factory. Bacharach, if memory serves, would choose sticks for the team to consider from their inventory.

If anyone had a pipeline to sticks by the Onandaga it was Cuse.

I would be tempted to argue lax players who graduated on average out earned the average grad.
Yes, Bacharach Raisin was the pipeline, Baltimore based. And Hopkins got first choice.
The demise was not a fire per se, it was the rise of the STX head. IMO.

And yeah, guys with abysmal academic records regularly got into Hopkins. Which in no way is to denigrate other guys, nor the ones with poor academic records for that matter...quite a lot of guys blossom quite successfully in their lives without being academic stars! And I know some very bright, accomplished Hop lax alums, so please don't misunderstand me.

By whether they could be expected to graduate, that of course involved what accommodations were available to get a less academically competent or motivated athlete through school, whether through gut courses or otherwise. Far from a Hop specific thing.

And I dare say that, at least in my era, UMD's rep for academic requirements was even less.

On the "out earned", I think there's definitely a phenomenon, probably even more so in earlier eras, of guys with a strong sports team background (with all that means) who thrive in the competitive world of business in particular. Gotta remember that Hopkins' undergraduate experience (especially in STEM) has historically been geared toward academia/research, not industry. Or medicine. The institution as a whole viewed business (and law) as crass.

I'm on the advisory board of The Center for Leadership Education, housed in the Whiting School of Engineering but serving the entire community, which is working to help build the 'soft skills' necessary to be leaders in industry as well. Good progress but more to be done, given the legacy of the academia bias.
With regards to underqualified lacrosse athletes "regularly getting in" - do you have facts or are these more anecdata? Hopkins has no problem getting undergraduates into the upper echelon of business fields today (especially in consulting, finance) and ofcourse comp sci which earns more than these other fields anyways. In fact placement at the top banking and consulting firms is pretty good. What needs to change (and is happening now) is more exposure to these fields to undergraduates.
On lax, anecdata.
In my day and for many decades, it was no mystery who could consider Hopkins and who they could get in.
And that, yes, regularly included some with abysmal academic records...the weren't "under qualified", they had exactly the sort of qualifications necessary...as a lacrosse player. Again, that's not to denigrate those players, or their team mates, or anyone else...read my post, please, in that regard.

I'm not saying that's identical today, but you betcha there's a big difference continuing today between the guys able to get in for say football or baseball than lacrosse. We can debate about whether that's appropriate or not, but it's a reality.

I'd be interested in your assertion that comp sci pays more than the upper echelons of business fields today (especially consulting and finance); Is this "anectdata"? Yes, Google and their ilk do grab a handful each year and pay top $, even before the kids even graduate, (as they certainly do at the Ivies, MIT, Stanford, etc) but you better be off the charts on the academic/brains side.

But here's my more serious question for you as you talk about comp sci or any other STEM background, what's the breakdown of majors for men's lax players versus football or baseball players at Hop, much less the guys and gals Google is picking?

Listen, I'm not saying that Hopkins could not or should not take an Ivy-like approach for lax, it's just that hasn't been the case to date (albeit I bet it's tougher today than in prior decades).

Let me also say that this isn't a particularly fruitful discussion... a lot of season ahead.
I'm at Google now in Mountain View and am ex-McKinsey. Directors and VPs at Google on average make more than partners at McKinsey. Due to recent regulations, companies now have to report median salaries: https://www.vox.com/2018/4/30/17301264/ ... alary-tech

CS Majors vs business majors have even higher earning potential at the top quant trading firms (Two Sigma, Citadel, Hudson River Trading, etc)

You can see how tech leads from a median salary perspective, which is actual hard data. Many of these tech companies are not on the same tier as google / FANG either.

You also don't have to be a genius to work at google and the vast majority of people hired full-time are from converted interns - only a handful are before they have graduated.
Congrats, Norcalhop!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Attendance: 2178
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-there's no argument for connor, forry, zinn, hubler, reinson, mcmanus playing at all tuesday. The first midfield is garbage. Reinson/hubler/mcmanus can't grab gbs and can't guard anyone. I'm not sure what they saw in forry, but half the penalties we draw are after the play hits (guys playing w/out self control goes to his leadership) and he's invisible most saturdays. In the show the wire there's a lt named Rawls who has a detective named mcnulty who is a pain in his butt. He needs to know what he's up to all the time so he tells a second detective named santangelo that he needs to spy on mcnulty for him because while he can solve easy cases (dunkers) he's otherwise very bad at his job. This is the majority of players on this team. They can make a play when the moment is right, but they've consistently shown they can't when it gets any harder and even when the moment is right they flop. This is similar to several of the preceeding classes.
-I had friends who were football players at Hopkins, we've seen the recruiting videos of several hopkins players. There are some like watson that were rhodes finalists but there are fair number who academically would've been pressed to get into Rutgers. The admissions standards for the student body are ivy league caliber, for the athletics programs its rutgers/caa
-Quint mentioned this was the first poll ever where Hopkins did not recieve votes, this week will make 2, the following week will make 3.
-will dwan coach tuesday?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

I think we saw why Giacalone hasn’t won the starting job before today. Darby acquitted himself slightly.
Murphy is gaining confidence. Hawley the other bright spot...😉
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:47 pm Attendance: 2178
Apathy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Peeping Toms reported filming in women’s bathrooms on campus at JHU yesterday.

That’s the second worst thing happening on campus this weekend.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:02 pm
Apathy
Is this supposed to mean something? Despite an awful start to the season, Hopkins is still third in the country in average home attendance. Turnout is down EVERYWHERE. Homewood is one of the only venues that still consistently draws a decent crowd. And, again, that's with the team sucking.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:05 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:02 pm
Apathy
Is this supposed to mean something? Despite an awful start to the season, Hopkins is still third in the country in average home attendance. Turnout is down EVERYWHERE. Homewood is one of the only venues that still consistently draws a decent crowd. And, again, that's with the team sucking.
Not to mention the fact that Hopkins closed off the NCAA tourney sending a perhaps (scary) message to anyone and everyone that there may be germs on campus.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:38 pm Angelus either scores or assists every time he touches the ball.
Angelus to 1st line would be an upgrade

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”