All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Kismet

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Kismet »

Why does it feel like we are in deep doo-doo with these clowns in charge. They appear to have no idea what they are doing.

While Pence is having a news conference with his task force in DC trying to articulate the testing plan and how it will roll out, DOPUS at the CDC says "anyone who wants a test gets a test right now". A few minutes later while Pence is applauding Governors for their cooperation, DOPUS calls Washington Gov. Jay Inslee "a snake".

The poor folks on the boat off the coast of CA find out the results of testing via Pence at that same news conference - they neglected to notify the passengers and crew before they went public. DOPUS also declares that his preference is for the boat to remain offshore so as to minimize the number of confirmed cases in the USA.

He complains about his ratings on FOX.
...and finally he pees in his pants which is then caught by photographer and captioned - DIAPER DON

More doozies from yesterday-

"Everything's perfect just like the letter was perfect"
"Maybe I just have a natural ability to understand all this"

I'll look forward to those here who have been defending this crowd to defend all of this garbage from them.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ugh!

All this while cutting back on entitlements which make the vulnerable even more vulnerable.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
calourie

Post by calourie »

Trump is considering, putting himself on the ship to keep the numbers down, and you people think he has no empathy.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Bart

Post by Bart »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm No need for panic, but we need to acknowledge that a major problem has already landed on our shores.
Clearly you don't understand what's happening...and it is indeed something that can be mitigated with competent, constant messaging from Health Leaders. I'm saying that if we don't get that in the next few weeks...picture every conference, and all travel plans being cancelled. No more sporting events anywhere.

They're shutting down schools in Seattle already. What happens when that's nationwide? All that economic activity goes poof.

We don't have an economic term that describes the sudden and immediate cessation of entire sectors of economic activity. This isn't because of the virus. It's because of the reaction to the virus. We have a populace that's so poorly educated and uninformed that they stopped buying Corona beer, FFS.
My public health degree from Harvard suggests I may have a better understanding of the situation than most folks. ;)

Anywho ... the paucity of data, especially with the clearly negligent lack of testing in the U.S., means that no one has a clear understanding of what’s going on here.

This ain’t the flu. It also ain’t Ebola. It definitely ain’t a zombie apocalypse.

Having said that, we have seen how quickly this virus can spread. Should we cancel every large gathering in America? No. Is overreaction a horrible thing at this time? No.

One thing has been consistent all over the world when it comes to COVID-19 ... it’s dangers and potential impact have been consistently underestimated by government and corporate officials at every turn.

Would be very cautious about describing any precaution as an overreaction. Such descriptions have been proven tragically wrong too many times with COVID-19.

DocBarrister :|
It's the numbers. Those dam numbers. What is the real denominator? Unless we test everyone we may actually never know since the severity of infection vary's so much. I've said it several times, I trust nothing out of China. I think Korea is a much better estimate of the actual numbers. I also think, like JHU72 those may be slightly over inflated.

Panic? I hope not. Concern..............absolutely. Here is a list of current treatment options in either testing or the pipe line: https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/ana ... cov-drugs/

In the economic effects trend the Experimental Biology Annual meeting scheduled for April 4-7 has been canceled due to the virus spread.

It will not shock me if more and more Colleges begin to take measures like those already done. Get materials ready to be delivered on line is a common theme.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:12 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm Here's another, and it spells out the economic loss to Chicago: $77Million.

Now picture what it's gonna look like when every single convention in the US is cancelled.

The word recession won't cover what's happening.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03/02 ... GVOnhVoJI8
All this is just the beginning. Chicago will lose billions in convention income. Orlando the same. This is where the really big conventions are held. The convention centers, hotels, restaurants, taxis, state and city sales tax, other state and city service taxes. Other cities will lose lots as well, but these are probably the two biggest losers.
Vegas will be crushed.
Not sure what major city will not be.
I was talking specifically about convention space. Chicago and Orlando dwarf everything else in the US. If you are a big organization that wants to hold meetings, not just exhibits your only choices are Chicago and Orlando. Big professional societies for example.

US convention centers by size (at bottom of article)

Las Vegas of course has multiple active smaller convention centers. I think that is unique, although actual total meeting space appears to be smaller than Chicago or Orlando. Of course there are a number of cities that have significant convention income.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CV update. Looks like the Lifecare nursing home is finally getting the attention it has deserved for sometime now. 15 individuals moved to area hospitals.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:12 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm Here's another, and it spells out the economic loss to Chicago: $77Million.

Now picture what it's gonna look like when every single convention in the US is cancelled.

The word recession won't cover what's happening.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03/02 ... GVOnhVoJI8
All this is just the beginning. Chicago will lose billions in convention income. Orlando the same. This is where the really big conventions are held. The convention centers, hotels, restaurants, taxis, state and city sales tax, other state and city service taxes. Other cities will lose lots as well, but these are probably the two biggest losers.
Vegas will be crushed.
Not sure what major city will not be.
I was talking specifically about convention space. Chicago and Orlando dwarf everything else in the US. If you are a big organization that wants to hold meetings, not just exhibits your only choices are Chicago and Orlando. Big professional societies for example.

US convention centers by size (at bottom of article)

Las Vegas of course has multiple active smaller convention centers. I think that is unique, although actual total meeting space appears to be smaller than Chicago or Orlando. Of course there are a number of cities that have significant convention income.
Yes, correct.
I happened to have been going to a convention in Vegas later this month; canceled.
Vegas does lots and lots of smaller conventions filling those hotels.

Independent of the convention business, the entire business of Vegas is tourist destination, large crowds, etc...gonna be rough for awhile.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Yup. Vegas may actually be the most vulnerable city with respect to social distancing. Although Orlando probably gives them a run for their money.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Heard from my wife that the 3 Maryland cases were contracted in Egypt. They were on a cruise down the Nile. Apparently an Iranian tourist was the carrier. Unfortunately these folks after infected attended some event in Rockville, MD upon return, before being tested. Apparently the three are doing well, but now quarantined. DC and Maryland physicians have been put on notice regarding people who may have also attended the event and present with cold or flu symptoms. It is unknown who those attendees may have been.
a fan

Post by a fan »

"I've never seen downtown so empty," she said, referring to the streets, not just the shelves.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/se ... qVtDU2cwAc
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sadly, 19 dead in the U.S. with 437 confirmed cases according to the Hopkins tracking site (the most up to date).

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 953496002/

If patterns from elsewhere in the world hold here, that suggests well over 1,000 infections already in the U.S.

In all likelihood, the U.S. will blow by the numbers in South Korea (7,314) and Italy (5,833). Not good.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:04 am Sadly, 19 dead in the U.S. with 437 confirmed cases according to the Hopkins tracking site (the most up to date).

If patterns from elsewhere in the world hold here, that suggests well over 1,000 infections already in the U.S.

In all likelihood, the U.S. will blow by the numbers in South Korea (7,314) and Italy (5,833). Not good.

My post is already out of date. There are now 472 confirmed cases in the United States.

@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:04 am Sadly, 19 dead in the U.S. with 437 confirmed cases according to the Hopkins tracking site (the most up to date).

My post is already out of date. There are now 472 confirmed cases in the United States.

Sounds right. Assuming the 19 deaths are actually the only deaths due to this virus (not all deaths were necessarily tested) but lets assume that's the case, and the mortality rate is 2%, that would mean ~1,000. But if more like South Korea, then we'd see about 4X of that, say 4,000 if we were testing at the same rate at SK. And if there are really 1,000 or worse 4,000 folks with this virus, mostly unknown as to who, then they are undoubtedly infecting others.

They can't be quarantined unless found.

Do folks understand yet how ridiculous it is that the tests weren't ready???
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The nursing home in Kirkland still does not have tests for their employees.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

“Do folks understand yet how ridiculous it is that the tests weren't ready???”

No, I don’t think people do understand this.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:06 pm The nursing home in Kirkland still does not have tests for their employees.
Which is truly outrageous.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Death toll now 21. Two more nursing home patients die. Another 100 confirmed cases. Now 537.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump’s team posted and retweeted this, apparently unaware of a guy named Nero.
Attachments
9336BBAA-79A0-4D27-B030-8105F2095F66.jpeg
9336BBAA-79A0-4D27-B030-8105F2095F66.jpeg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:16 pm Death toll now 21. Two more nursing home patients die. Another 100 confirmed cases. Now 537.
This relatively recent post is already out of date. Now 544 confirmed cases. That’s 107 new confirmed cases just today, and the day is not done.

How many of you have the sense that we’re on a runaway train with no engineer in the locomotive?

@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”