Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

I watched the Duke Richmond game highlights on YouTube, and the one thing I can say about Duke is they are a very erratic team. Richmond frankly looked like the better all around team, but like they say, the team that played better won.

Duke's goalies are trying to find their rhythm... Uppgren is a lefty, and although I'm always tempted to remind shooters of the dominant hand side of any goalie (lefty or righty, shoot opposite of their dominant hand), the fact is he and Bonafede (righty) let in as many goals on their dominant hand sides as their weak sides. They were also equally suspect high or low. Not even sure what to say to our offense other than shoot fast, high or low, and the shots will find net.

Richmond, once it understood that Dyson Williams will can any shot, locked him up after his burst of goals but it took that burst of goals for the Spiders to figure it out. Williams looks to shoot only...

Duke definitely used their middies to initiate a ton; the thing is, I think their entire offense are interchangeable attack/middies. Our LSM's and SSD's will be tested. I did not think, based on that one game mind you, that their starting attack looked all that solid. The scoreboard says WIlliams is an attackman, but he starts out every offensive possession at midfield. After him, you have Basile, Caputo, and Manown as sort of a de facto attack line (Carpenter too); the edge here is very in favor of the Hounds.

Duke's defense is also somewhat suspect. Lots of weak body positioning and weak slap-happy stick checking. If there's any game for Olmtead and Swindell to go off, this one is it.

Duke's defense is more suited to defend a kid like Poitras who's not quick. Olmstead and Swindell should find room all day, meaning Lindley will be roaming like a madman looking for the feed. I'd advise Charlie to keep legs fresh and let the youngsters in, Raba, Kamish, James, but especially Bateman...you want high lax IQ guys out there who know when to make a cut ahead of the initiator's moves.

I'd look to McNulty and Middleton getting a massive green light from Charlie. There is simply no way Duke's goalies can stop their shots.

Final note: Duke owns us. SO everything I just listed above you can toss out the window. I do not know what it is about the Duke uniforms, but we stink against this team. So, all in all, and until proven otherwise (that we can actually beat the Blue Devils), edge to Duke. Even though we have more talent. That stinks.

See you on the other side.
PhillyHound

Post by PhillyHound »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 pm
molo wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm Too bad that they couldn’t schedule one game at 12 or 1 and the other at 3 or 4.
The entire college lacrosse community needs to take a long hard look at itself in this regard. Tbf to them, at this part of the season it doesn't matter so much because TV is overloaded with college basketball and lacrosse isn't getting air time over that. But once the tournament starts and the ESPN networks, FS1/FS2 and CBSSports Network all have openings, everyone should be spreading out their games. Get as much lax on TV as possible.

Even in this part of the year it doesn't benefit anyone to play at the same time as everyone else. If either Hopkins or Loyola start the games at 5 on Saturday all the lacrosse eyes are on them. Maybe that isn't a ton of eyes, but it is still more than otherwise would be! Thank God the PLL has some people with some actual sense about how to market this stuff in charge. It seems like they might be able to find a bit of growth that everyone else has struggled with the last decade or so.
Can we please stop with the whole schools need to schedule better so I can watch games all day narrative. No one wants to schedule a game after the sun sets in February or March. There are so many factors that go into scheduling, and I promise none of them include whats most convenient for your viewing experience. Schedules are in place months in advance and are based around what time TV wants to broadcast, other events on campus that day, and travel for the visiting school. Never in a million years will Duke and Loyola look at what time Cuse and Hopkins are playing, and decide to play their game based off of that.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

And besides, Hopkins needs to figure out what time the HOUNDS are playing and schedule around us- their new big brother.

:lol:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Lax vegas lines has us as a 1 goal favorite to win against Duke. Same as Massey Ratings.

i've been listening to podcasts this morning and people really think this will be a very close game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

PhillyHound wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 pm
molo wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm Too bad that they couldn’t schedule one game at 12 or 1 and the other at 3 or 4.
The entire college lacrosse community needs to take a long hard look at itself in this regard. Tbf to them, at this part of the season it doesn't matter so much because TV is overloaded with college basketball and lacrosse isn't getting air time over that. But once the tournament starts and the ESPN networks, FS1/FS2 and CBSSports Network all have openings, everyone should be spreading out their games. Get as much lax on TV as possible.

Even in this part of the year it doesn't benefit anyone to play at the same time as everyone else. If either Hopkins or Loyola start the games at 5 on Saturday all the lacrosse eyes are on them. Maybe that isn't a ton of eyes, but it is still more than otherwise would be! Thank God the PLL has some people with some actual sense about how to market this stuff in charge. It seems like they might be able to find a bit of growth that everyone else has struggled with the last decade or so.
Can we please stop with the whole schools need to schedule better so I can watch games all day narrative. No one wants to schedule a game after the sun sets in February or March. There are so many factors that go into scheduling, and I promise none of them include whats most convenient for your viewing experience. Schedules are in place months in advance and are based around what time TV wants to broadcast, other events on campus that day, and travel for the visiting school. Never in a million years will Duke and Loyola look at what time Cuse and Hopkins are playing, and decide to play their game based off of that.
If you want people to care about watching your sport you have to care about people watching your sport. It's that simple. Make it hard for them and they'll turn away. Loyola isn't a money school. Getting an extra 2000 fans through the gate a season would make a difference.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

just a little inspiration from lax reference... these guys get a lot of their picks right as to who gets into the NCAA tourney...

"Here's the biggest NCAA probability swing game of the day. With a win today, the NCAA probability for Loyola jumps to 73.4%; with a loss, it falls to 53.3%. For Duke, they are in 67.2% of the time with a win, and just 43.9% with a loss."

Go, Run, Train, Fight, Battle. Most importantly today- WIN.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

McNulty's feeling confident for today's game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:10 am And besides, Hopkins needs to figure out what time the HOUNDS are playing and schedule around us- their new big brother.

Though it'd be nice to win today, Hopkins has far more on the line against 'Cuse. There is not a small chance that they get blown out on their home field to the only other team which challenges them for the sport's 'New York Yankee' designation. If Cuse takes out Hop by any score which smells of a blowout, please come back to Fanlax to read the Hopkins thread; it'll be entertaining.

As for us and as I've said, until we prove we can actually beat Duke, we won't. I don't know what the deal is when we play this team, but whatever it is, we stink against them. Every single year. This happens in sport, when one team simply plays better against another team every single year; for the Hounds, that's been Duke. I'm generally a very upbeat Hounds supporter; this is the one game every year which I bum out about, and for good reason. If anyone can explain their mastery of us, please do.

It really hacks me off. Hopefully the boys are irritated by Duke, too. I'd pay anything to be 20 years younger and running on that field.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 am
thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:10 am And besides, Hopkins needs to figure out what time the HOUNDS are playing and schedule around us- their new big brother.

Though it'd be nice to win today, Hopkins has far more on the line against 'Cuse. There is not a small chance that they get blown out on their home field to the only other team which challenges them for the sport's 'New York Yankee' designation. If Cuse takes out Hop by any score which smells of a blowout, please come back to Fanlax to read the Hopkins thread; it'll be entertaining.

As for us and as I've said, until we prove we can actually beat Duke, we won't. I don't know what the deal is when we play this team, but whatever it is, we stink against them. Every single year. This happens in sport, when one team simply plays better against another team every single year; for the Hounds, that's been Duke. I'm generally a very upbeat Hounds supporter; this is the one game every year which I bum out about, and for good reason. If anyone can explain their mastery of us, please do.

It really hacks me off. Hopefully the boys are irritated by Duke, too. I'd pay anything to be 20 years younger and running on that field.
Your record against them isn't that bad.....last win was in '14 - you have won over a third of the contests.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 am

Your record against them isn't that bad.....last win was in '14 - you have won over a third of the contests.

We won 6 whole years ago; wow. In 2016 when Duke basically was not very good (they were .500) and we were actually very good, they still beat us 15-6.

For 4 of those 6 years, we had the Teewarton Trophy winner plus the game's best goalie. And we lost every single time, by a lot.

And not for nothing, but have you looked at the scores in the last 4 years? I can't recall one game that was even competitive, let alone a win. Every year a blowout, by Duke. Not even close.

Like I said, until we beat them, we won't. I hope the boys have tiger-blood energy today, but more importantly, I hope they have some will.
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Ugly. 8-1 at half. Exposed
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Hot takes aren’t your thing.
10-5 Hounds over the last 31:30.
Can’t spot any team, yet alone Duke, 8 goals.
Signs of youth. Signs of promise too.
No quit in this team. Upperclassmen have to lead early in games like these.
Better focus on Bucknell. They will be tough.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Shooting is really holding this team back. The first quarter they had 4 or 5 grade A looks and didn't score. It was harder to do that than score all of them.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:29 pm Shooting is really holding this team back. The first quarter they had 4 or 5 grade A looks and didn't score. It was harder to do that than score all of them.
Reinforce this immediately. i'm rewatching the game since i missed a majority of the first quarter. Poitras was wide open after getting his man stuck on the pick, middle of the field and he missed.

Next play, olmstead feeds inside to wigley who has time to shoot it and he missed wide.

These are two opportunities that they could've cashed in on.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

next two plays- They get a turnover and the pole passes to lindley, lindley passes to kamish way open for a stepdown and that got blocked.

Next play after that- another duke turnover and Cox misses point blank 5 yards out from the cage.

Cmon- these were 4 potential goals, that if everything else happened the way they did in the game today- Loyola would get a 1 goal win.

Still- these freshmen have bright futures. GIve the ball to Kamish more. i'm still slightly iffy about olmstead as the offensive QB
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm next two plays- They get a turnover and the pole passes to lindley, lindley passes to kamish way open for a stepdown and that got blocked.

Next play after that- another duke turnover and Cox misses point blank 5 yards out from the cage.

Cmon- these were 4 potential goals, that if everything else happened the way they did in the game today- Loyola would get a 1 goal win.

Still- these freshmen have bright futures. GIve the ball to Kamish more. i'm still slightly iffy about olmstead as the offensive QB
everything else doesn't happen the same way. and duke has similar plays throughout the game. they all count, including the good ones that the hounds had that could've gone the other way. when you start talking about multiple indiv plays and tipping the actual outcome of a decent spread game... not really realistic.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:52 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm next two plays- They get a turnover and the pole passes to lindley, lindley passes to kamish way open for a stepdown and that got blocked.

everything else doesn't happen the same way. and duke has similar plays throughout the game. they all count, including the good ones that the hounds had that could've gone the other way. when you start talking about multiple indiv plays and tipping the actual outcome of a decent spread game... not really realistic.
Exactly right. But missing/getting saved on the set of looks they had early on really kills your chances. Good teams aren't going to keep giving those up and Duke didn't leading to an almost goalless first half. The whole complexion changes if you bury one of those early on.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 am

We won 6 whole years ago; wow. In 2016 when Duke basically was not very good (they were .500) and we were actually very good, they still beat us 15-6.

For 4 of those 6 years, we had the Teewarton Trophy winner plus the game's best goalie. And we lost every single time, by a lot.

And not for nothing, but have you looked at the scores in the last 4 years? I can't recall one game that was even competitive, let alone a win. Every year a blowout, by Duke. Not even close.

Like I said, until we beat them, we won't. I hope the boys have tiger-blood energy today, but more importantly, I hope they have some will.
Sorry to ruin your narrative, but we beat Duke soundly in 2016 and ended their season. This was a team that had superstars like Myles Jones and Deemer Class as seniors.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Nice crowd at Ridley today - 1500+, which isn't bad considering the students are on spring break. The crowd really got energized during the second-half comeback.

A few positives:
  • EMO finally is humming - 5 of 7 on the day
  • Man-down defense remains stout, shutting out Duke 0/1. Only one penalty committed - Hounds continue to excel in this regard.
  • Savio was strong at the X (62%)
  • Once again, we proved we can make adjustments at halftime and outscore a superior team in the second half
  • Our ride gave Duke fits. While they were 16 of 18 clearing, they really had to work for it.
If we had been able to can some of our wide-open looks in the first quarter, and eliminated a couple unforced turnovers in the second half, this could have been a different outcome.

I'm liking our chances in PL play.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 am

Sorry to ruin your narrative, but we beat Duke soundly in 2016 and ended their season. This was a team that had superstars like Myles Jones and Deemer Class as seniors.

That was the post season game. How’d the season game go? We lost, 15-6.

I hate losing more than anyone. And I hate talking about moral victories. But from today if anyone is seeking any moral sustenance, the young nature of this team can be evidenced by how we started slowly against both UVA and Duke. Once we get our footing, it’s game on. The problem is the hole we need to fill. In both games the hole was too deep. Charlie needs to figure out how to keep these games tighter.

Bailey was great. Cam was great. McNulty was great. I like how Charlie is getting Teitlebaum time, and this will pay off down the road, but throwing him at Duke is a tall order.

Hopefully we got something out of today. Biggest issue for us now is we likely need to win the PL to get into the tournament. Leaving no room for a bad outing from a young team is a dicey position to be in. Hoping Charlie can elevate these boys. Bucknell and Army look darn good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”