All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 pm Question: If there was no sensationalism, no attempts to create mass hysteria, just an even-keeled voice explaining that Corona is a flu and, like the flu, it can kill people, though the vast majority of deaths would be experienced by the infirmed. We do have flu shots. We do not (yet) have Corona Virus shots. If the Corona Virus was explained this way, would we be cancelling these events, having no audience sporting events, etc.?
Nope.

Do we have anyone who Americans trust in the Federal Government who can explain that? It'd be great if that person stepped up to the mic.
Actually, until there really is a vaccine and/or an easy available testing regimen as well as understanding of how long we need to be away from older folks, there's going to continue to be a need to quarantine.

Right now, my risk, even though I'm 62, is low given that I don't have any of the non-age risk factors. But if I get exposed and become a carrier, and don't know it, whether because too early to know or I wasn't tested for it when I get some relatively mild symptoms, I'm seriously dangerous to my 82 year old respiratory challenged mom. We're talking well above 15% mortality rate for her in that situation if I pass it.

We need a vaccine and we need easy, available testing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm Hate to break the news, but we don’t have “a few weeks to get this under control globally.”

Those “few weeks” passed at least two months ago.
That's not what I meant. There's the science...which is what you're talking about.

Then there's the fear, irrational public reaction, and economic damage that follows.

I'm talking about the latter. And the latter is where all the real damage occurs.
Respectfully, that’s not where the “real damage occurs.” The Trump Administration’s incompetence is going to cost American lives. Sadly, it’s too late to prevent some of that, but if Trump stays out of the way, many deaths can still be avoided.

As for economic damage, it is already too late to stop that as well. The coronavirus pandemic took at least 4-5 months to ramp up, and it’s not at all clear that it has peaked even in China and South Korea. Certainly has not peaked in the U.S. Mind you that South Korea and China have employed measures and resources that the U.S. is in no position to take. South Korea has tested hundreds of thousands of people, something the U.S. won’t have the capacity to do for months. China has essentially quarantined entire cities, something that is not feasible in the United States. We’re not in a good position. We likely won’t see coronavirus “under control” in the U.S. for at least 6 months.

Whether or not they “formally” fall into recession, the economies of China, South Korea, Italy, Germany, and Japan will all be hit hard. The U.S. economy will hit hard, too.

Bottom line ... everything you discuss above? It’s already too late to prevent all of that. Your post would have been meaningful about two months ago. It’s too late for that discussion now.

No need for panic, but we need to acknowledge that a major problem has already landed on our shores.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm No need for panic, but we need to acknowledge that a major problem has already landed on our shores.
Clearly you don't understand what's happening...and it is indeed something that can be mitigated with competent, constant messaging from Health Leaders. I'm saying that if we don't get that in the next few weeks...picture every conference, and all travel plans being cancelled. No more sporting events anywhere.

They're shutting down schools in Seattle already. What happens when that's nationwide? All that economic activity goes poof.

We don't have an economic term that describes the sudden and immediate cessation of entire sectors of economic activity. This isn't because of the virus. It's because of the reaction to the virus. We have a populace that's so poorly educated and uninformed that they stopped buying Corona beer, FFS.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The city of Austin just canceled SXSW (South by South West).
a fan

Post by a fan »

Case in point, JHU72, thank you...

The economic impact of calling off SXSW would be devastating: The annual infusion of hundreds of millions of dollars from visitors is deeply embedded in the budgets of virtually every public and private enterprise in the city. This is no doubt why the SXSW and the city of Austin had refused to cancel the festival until now.

Buckle up, folks. Trump better come up with something, and fast.....

https://austin.eater.com/2020/3/6/21167 ... estaurants
a fan

Post by a fan »

Here's another, and it spells out the economic loss to Chicago: $77Million.

Now picture what it's gonna look like when every single convention in the US is cancelled.

The word recession won't cover what's happening.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03/02 ... GVOnhVoJI8
old salt

Post by old salt »

Don't get too far ahead with the worst case predictions.
Community spread is inevitable. The key is to isolate, protect & treat the vulnerable.
Identify & contain any hot spots.

Regarding the economy --
end of life health care costs are inevitable, no matter the cause of death.
...pay now, or pay later, with variable years of long term care costs in the interim.
There is no low cost off ramp.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm Here's another, and it spells out the economic loss to Chicago: $77Million.

Now picture what it's gonna look like when every single convention in the US is cancelled.

All this is just the beginning. Chicago will lose billions in convention income. Orlando the same. This is where the really big conventions are held. The convention centers, hotels, restaurants, taxis, state and city sales tax, other state and city service taxes. Other cities will lose lots as well, but these are probably the two biggest losers.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:12 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm Here's another, and it spells out the economic loss to Chicago: $77Million.

All this is just the beginning. Chicago will lose billions in convention income. Orlando the same. This is where the really big conventions are held. The convention centers, hotels, restaurants, taxis, state and city sales tax, other state and city service taxes. Other cities will lose lots as well, but these are probably the two biggest losers.
Vegas will be crushed.
Not sure what major city will not be.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Vegas will be crushed.
Not sure what major city will not be.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm No need for panic, but we need to acknowledge that a major problem has already landed on our shores.
Clearly you don't understand what's happening...and it is indeed something that can be mitigated with competent, constant messaging from Health Leaders. I'm saying that if we don't get that in the next few weeks...picture every conference, and all travel plans being cancelled. No more sporting events anywhere.

They're shutting down schools in Seattle already. What happens when that's nationwide? All that economic activity goes poof.

We don't have an economic term that describes the sudden and immediate cessation of entire sectors of economic activity. This isn't because of the virus. It's because of the reaction to the virus. We have a populace that's so poorly educated and uninformed that they stopped buying Corona beer, FFS.
My public health degree from Harvard suggests I may have a better understanding of the situation than most folks. ;)

Anywho ... the paucity of data, especially with the clearly negligent lack of testing in the U.S., means that no one has a clear understanding of what’s going on here.

This ain’t the flu. It also ain’t Ebola. It definitely ain’t a zombie apocalypse.

Having said that, we have seen how quickly this virus can spread. Should we cancel every large gathering in America? No. Is overreaction a horrible thing at this time? No.

One thing has been consistent all over the world when it comes to COVID-19 ... it’s dangers and potential impact have been consistently underestimated by government and corporate officials at every turn.

Would be very cautious about describing any precaution as an overreaction. Such descriptions have been proven tragically wrong too many times with COVID-19.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 pm My public health degree from Harvard suggests I may have a better understanding of the situation than most folks. ;)
And my wife has a MPH from UMich, and has 20 years actually working in this field now. Neither of you understand what's happening economically, and that's all I'm discussing here. ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 pm My public health degree from Harvard suggests I may have a better understanding of the situation than most folks. ;)
And my wife has a MPH from UMich, and has 20 years actually working in this field now. Neither of you understand what's happening economically, and that's all I'm discussing here. ;)
You should listen to your wife more. Might learn something.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

I do! Everyday!

But she doesn't know, for example, which of the countries that we import materials from (France, Spain, and Italy) are we having issues due to the virus. Or what that does to our production.

And doesn't know business owners (manufacturers and hospitality industry) not just in the US, but all over the world. And knows how they're getting hit by this thing, because we're all dealing with it and talking about it. And which ones are in the process of losing major conventions because of this thing.

And neither do you.....maybe you ought to listen, too, eh? ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:42 pm I do! Everyday!

But she doesn't know, for example, which of the countries that we import materials from (France, Spain, and Italy) are we having issues due to the virus. Or what that does to our production.

And doesn't know business owners (manufacturers and hospitality industry) not just in the US, but all over the world. And knows how they're getting hit by this thing, because we're all dealing with it and talking about it. And which ones are in the process of losing major conventions because of this thing.

And neither do you.....maybe you ought to listen, too, eh? ;)
I listen quite a bit ... which is why I do the dishes (ok ... load the dishwasher) in my family. :P

Anyway, just how incompetent is the Trump Administration?

Vice President Pence announced that 21 passengers on that cruise ship off of San Francisco had tested positive for COVID-19 ... before notifying the captain and passengers involved.

“Twenty-one of those on the ship tested positive for the coronavirus, 24 tested negative and one test was inconclusive,” Mr. Pence said at a White House news briefing — blindsiding the passengers and the ship’s operators.

... Shortly after Mr. Pence’s briefing, the ship captain came over the loudspeaker and apologized that passengers were getting updates from television news rather than him. The captain said that he had not received any advance notice about the news briefing and that the ship would notify individuals of their test results “as soon as possible.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/worl ... e=Homepage

If the Moron-In-Chief’s gang of idiots can’t even handle an announcement properly, then I shudder to think about everything else they are screwing up.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
calourie

Post by calourie »

Trump has met the threat of CoronaVirus contagion by trying to prove he can BS his way through whatever gets in the way of proving that he knows better than everyone about what to do about everything. It's a high standard to be sure, and begs the question of whether he will ever actually be called to task for his fully bloomed lunacy.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“Trump is getting more rabid and erratic by the week. I have never in 50 years of experience seen a more vindictive, abusive, and ignorant public official. His behavior in public office is simply shameful.”

Barry McCaffrey retired 4 star general
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

What about San Francisco? Hell they have homeless folks eating their own poop now. I bet that does not do much to increase tourism.https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sa ... &FORM=VIRE

At least the guy isn't going hungry... :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

President Trump:
"Anybody right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They're there. They have the tests and the tests are beautiful."
Um, no...

Absolute bald-faced lie. It is crap like this (and not the only crap) that makes this administration's response not just lacking but abhorrent.

Now if you happen to be in South Korea, this statement would be true.

Return to “POLITICS”