Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
hens62

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by hens62 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:43 pm
If I was the JHU AD, would go with Nadelen, but so far his team this year is making the optics of that look rather bad ...
Exactly why they should go for him this year.. Nads at Hop is a no brainer if he'd do it
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:06 pm So what is the hook for recruits to Hopkins, after you take away the Amazing Lacrosse Tradition. What pushes a recruit to your school. It used to be a badge of honor for a high school player to get an inquring letter.
The hook is that it's a very good school and has that, as you called it, "Amazing Lacrosse Tradition." It's that simple.

The number of schools with both an elite academic reputation AND a history of high-level lacrosse tradition is finite. Hopkins. Duke. Virginia. North Carolina. Cornell. Princeton. Yale. Notre Dame. Can probably throw the service academies in there. Penn is a recent add to the list. Georgetown too I suppose. But that's about it.

The history probably does not matter as much as it used to, but it still does carry weight, and it always will to some degree. Ask literally any of these kids why they committed.
DTTMT2018 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pm the team hasn't won an NCAA playoff game in years
Does 2018 not count? I get that it's been a rough go as of late but that was less than two years ago?

Reminder: Before last year, Penn hadn't won a tournament game since 1989. Cornell was winless in the NCAA tournament from 2013-2017, two years longer than Hopkins has ever gone without an NCAA win under Petro. He has never gone more than two years without a quarterfinal appearance, though this year will likely put that to the test. By Hopkins standards, the last decade has been awful. But by objective standards—making the tournament (almost) every year and getting to a quarterfinal every few years—that's still better than most schools. Remind me how many NCAA games Villanova and Marquette have ever won.

Again—if you want the best academics and a good shot at playing in May, there are only a handful of schools to choose from. There are a lot more than there used to be, sure. But Hopkins is still one of them.
DTTMT2018 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pmI'm sure people on this page will say Hopkins is a great school, and it is, but it doesn't have the reputation of the Ivys/Duke/UVa.
It doesn't? According to whom?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Petro seems to do a very good job
If it seems like he was a doing a very good job, there wouldn't be a very large contignent of people talking about who should replace him over the past weeks. If it seems like he was doing a very good job then the question would be why didn't he get a contract extension like he has in the past?

You are also new but if you were on this board 3-4 years ago or in the Laxpower days you would know I've been saying the program has been going down hill for last decade. Most of the posters on here are the same ones from back in those days. I received a great deal of push back...don't get that so much now.

1 Final Four in 12 years ain't getting the job done. Plain and simple.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:02 pm
1 Final Four in 12 years ain't getting the job done. Plain and simple.
Indeed.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

One good thing: He’s kept Hopkins out of national headlines.

Sadly, that includes Tuesday after Memorial Day headlines too.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm One good thing: He’s kept Hopkins out of national headlines.

Perhaps that has just been good luck?
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

program definitely in a tailspin... :oops:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm One good thing: He’s kept Hopkins out of national headlines.

Perhaps that has just been good luck?
Partly. Partly instruction. Partly omertà.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Until they begin to win, then they'll be in a upswing with JHU faithful taking a 360 degree turn just as they did late season after Maryland wins and PSU contest or the opening Towson win this year . Petro has some good recruiting classes lined up. End of season, only one team stands. Wont be JHU but also wont be 73 others . All be good, Doc Barrister will ride out the bumps.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

stupefied wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:25 pm Until they begin to win, then they'll be in a upswing with JHU faithful taking a 360 degree turn just as they did late season after Maryland wins and PSU contest or the opening Towson win this year . Petro has some good recruiting classes lined up. End of season, only one team stands. Wont be JHU but also wont be 73 others . All be good, Doc Barrister will ride out the bumps.
360 degree turn.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DTTMT2018 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pm New to fanlax posting, but have been an avid reader for years. During that time, I've casually observed the activity on this particular forum and have noted the intensity with which JHU fans care about their lax team (often admiringly, often with a degree of shock, looking at you Wilkins Dismuke). But I've been thinking recently...

At what point does JHU stop being the top tier men's lax program that it has been for all these years and move to the second tier of programs in the realm of Towson, Villanova, Marquette, etc? I think in the past, hs recruits were (and many still are) wowed by the history and high profile nature of the program, not to mention the success year after year on the field. That profile, combined with the academics, made it THE place to go for the best recruits in the country.

Recently though, recruiting has fallen by the wayside compared to what it once was, the team hasn't won an NCAA playoff game in years, and it seems like other schools are becoming viable alternatives to JHU's mix of academics and athletics. For example, Penn and Yale 10-20 years ago wouldn't have dreamed of pulling the caliber of recruits that JHU, Maryland, and ACC teams did, but nowadays, they certainly are, just look at Yale's recruiting class next year. I'm thinking of the type of kid in HS that is a good student, but also very talented on the field. Why wouldn't he go Ivy (maybe excluding Dartmouth) if he knows the recent success of Yale, Penn, Cornell on the national stage over JHU??? What does JHU offer that those programs don't. I'm sure people on this page will say Hopkins is a great school, and it is, but it doesn't have the reputation of the Ivys/Duke/UVa.

Also, I've had conversations with several former JHU players who have made the claim that when comparing their social experiences at JHU to the experiences of peers at Big10, Ivy, ACC schools, they don't really compare. This is obviously hard to give real value to as a highschooler, but it certainly evident upon arrival at college and in post-grad life.

I think that the issue with this program is less a function of Petro and more a function of the evolving landscape in college lax. I'm ready for someone to prove me wrong, or for JHU to go on a huge run to make me look like an idiot, but again I pose the question: when (if ever) does JHU turn into a second tier program?
lol - nice try trolling but at least try and get some facts straight. Coming from Stanford in Cali, Hopkins has a far stellar reputation than many ivies save for HYPS due to its STEM prowess (which are bad at dartmouth and brown and deficient from a penn engineering perspective). And yea, way off on the playoff games "many years" as pointed out by others.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:52 am
DTTMT2018 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pm New to fanlax posting, but have been an avid reader for years. During that time, I've casually observed the activity on this particular forum and have noted the intensity with which JHU fans care about their lax team (often admiringly, often with a degree of shock, looking at you Wilkins Dismuke). But I've been thinking recently...

At what point does JHU stop being the top tier men's lax program that it has been for all these years and move to the second tier of programs in the realm of Towson, Villanova, Marquette, etc? I think in the past, hs recruits were (and many still are) wowed by the history and high profile nature of the program, not to mention the success year after year on the field. That profile, combined with the academics, made it THE place to go for the best recruits in the country.

Recently though, recruiting has fallen by the wayside compared to what it once was, the team hasn't won an NCAA playoff game in years, and it seems like other schools are becoming viable alternatives to JHU's mix of academics and athletics. For example, Penn and Yale 10-20 years ago wouldn't have dreamed of pulling the caliber of recruits that JHU, Maryland, and ACC teams did, but nowadays, they certainly are, just look at Yale's recruiting class next year. I'm thinking of the type of kid in HS that is a good student, but also very talented on the field. Why wouldn't he go Ivy (maybe excluding Dartmouth) if he knows the recent success of Yale, Penn, Cornell on the national stage over JHU??? What does JHU offer that those programs don't. I'm sure people on this page will say Hopkins is a great school, and it is, but it doesn't have the reputation of the Ivys/Duke/UVa.

Also, I've had conversations with several former JHU players who have made the claim that when comparing their social experiences at JHU to the experiences of peers at Big10, Ivy, ACC schools, they don't really compare. This is obviously hard to give real value to as a highschooler, but it certainly evident upon arrival at college and in post-grad life.

I think that the issue with this program is less a function of Petro and more a function of the evolving landscape in college lax. I'm ready for someone to prove me wrong, or for JHU to go on a huge run to make me look like an idiot, but again I pose the question: when (if ever) does JHU turn into a second tier program?
lol - nice try trolling but at least try and get some facts straight. Coming from Stanford in Cali, Hopkins has a far stellar reputation than many ivies save for HYPS due to its STEM prowess (which are bad at dartmouth and brown and deficient from a penn engineering perspective). And yea, way off on the playoff games "many years" as pointed out by others.
STEM is "bad at Dartmouth"???
Yikes, that's uninformed.
And very, very few lax players are choosing their destination schools based on rep for STEM in specific. Overall rep, sure, but not STEM in specific.

But hey, I do agree with the 'trolling' accusation re "second tier".
Hopkins will be a "second tier" lax school only if and when that's the decision, else they'd already be an MIT program.

The newbie poster appears to have very little sense of the history of the game, whether at Hopkins or the Ivies. Of course, his moniker includes "2018" so maybe he's just young...

Hopkins was never a top lax school because the athletes were going there because it was the best school.
They weren't there "for the academics" in the same sense that recruits chose Ivy.
At least not most of them. (of course some exceptions). Unless we're comparing with recruits to UMD? ;)
In most and maybe all decades, the admission standards for Hopkins recruits were not constrained by the rest of the school's academic standards. Fact.

By dint of historical chance, Hopkins was at the epicenter of the game as it developed, with a tight pipeline to the very best Native American sticks. Baltimore's hotbed (back then both private and public) fueled those early teams and the building of a premier legacy.

For many years, pre the growth of pro sports, Hopkins lacrosse games outdrew pro sports and regularly occupied front page coverage. That legacy became a juggernaut. The school committed to it.

The game has spread immensely and many of those early advantages no longer exist.
But there's no reason why, with institutional commitment, that Hopkins can't be at least on par with the top 10 programs, regularly in the top 4.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Homewood Field is going to be like the Roman Colosseum tomorrow afternoon.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 am Homewood Field is going to be like the Roman Colosseum tomorrow afternoon.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 am Homewood Field is going to be like the Roman Colosseum tomorrow afternoon.
Though it should raise eyebrows but this game isn't even being shown live but on tape delay on Sunday. It is available to stream but it is likely determined that Hopkins isn't holding up their end of the bargain.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

That is possible. It is also a 1PM Saturday game during the height of college basketball season, so that might have something to do with it too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
Though it should raise eyebrows but this game isn't even being shown live but on tape delay on Sunday. It is available to stream but it is likely determined that Hopkins isn't holding up their end of the bargain.
It should not raise eyebrows. This game hasn't been live on "actual TV" (as opposed to streaming) in years. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hop's current season. These decisions are made each year well in advance of any games being played.

Catbird is correct. There is very little room for a lacrosse game on TV on a weekend in March. We should be thankful it's available to stream at all. Not that the distinction even matters much anyway. It's 2020. People should know how to get a game on the ESPN app onto their TV sets. The production values are the exact same as if it were on ESPNU. (Sorry to the Quint haters—he is calling this weekend's game with Anish.)
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am
steel_hop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
It should not raise eyebrows. This game hasn't been live on "actual TV" (as opposed to streaming) in years. It has absolutely nothing to do with Hop's current season. These decisions are made each year well in advance of any games being played.

Catbird is correct. There is very little room for a lacrosse game on TV on a weekend in March. We should be thankful it's available to stream at all. Not that the distinction even matters much anyway. It's 2020. People should know how to get a game on the ESPN app onto their TV sets. The production values are the exact same as if it were on ESPNU. (Sorry to the Quint haters—he is calling this weekend's game with Anish.)
Yep, for all intents and purposes there is no difference between streaming on ESPN3 and live on ESPNU anymore. You just have to be quick on the mute button when it goes to break otherwise you will be able to recite the one or two repeat commercials they play from memory at the end of the game.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Will Petro get the thumbs up or thumbs down?!
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

If only they'd have landed Scanlan!
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”