Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax3

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Lax3 »

Yale fan here - don't crush me - and I am curious how folks think Jackson Morrill, son of a JHU HOF, grandson of a JHH HOF, would've done under Benson. No clue whey he wasn't recruited by JHU, but he is up to 220 plus points for Yale. This young man seems like the kind of alumni kid who would've been perfect for JHU. Thoughts?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:32 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:50 pmJim Berkman, John Raba...why not? Proven winners. I don't care if it's D3.
And how has 3-time D3 national champ coach Mike Daly worked out at Brown after taking over a final-4 team?
Do we really have to talk about sample sizes of 1?

And do you want to talk context about that Brown team?
a fan

Post by a fan »

I do. What's the missing context? This is his 3rd year. What else do we need to know?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 pm I do. What's the missing context? This is his 3rd year. What else do we need to know?
Graduating 5 of their top 6 scorers, their top FOGO (rated by McEwen as the top FOGO that year), and their starting, first team All-American goalie is kind of some context, no? Like, do you think Lars, had he not left, would have gotten them back to that level any better than Daly?

If we're making decisions based on samples of 1, how many other things shouldn't we do?

But hey...here's to hoping that JHU sticks with Petro for a few more years. I won't mind that at all.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 pm Do we really have to talk about sample sizes of 1?
You're the one who brought up D3 success as an indicator of D1 success. I'm saying there's a counterexample.

And yes, Brown had big losses, but did return the Tewy winner. No one expected a return to the final four under any coach the next year, but if you read the Brown thread, you'll find that Brown fans are mostly pretty underwhelmed by how Daly has done (as am I).

Moral: big success in D3 is no guarantee. That was my point.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:51 pm Yale fan here - don't crush me - and I am curious how folks think Jackson Morrill, son of a JHU HOF, grandson of a JHH HOF, would've done under Benson. No clue whey he wasn't recruited by JHU, but he is up to 220 plus points for Yale. This young man seems like the kind of alumni kid who would've been perfect for JHU. Thoughts?
I certainly don't expect everyone to go back and read all 165 pages of this nonsense unless you have a death wish—that said, a 1-minute search using the search function would show you that this exact conversation has been had multiple times already. What exactly do you mean by "he wasn't recruited by JHU"? He absolutely was. Petro wanted him, but apparently Morrill wasn't thrilled that Shack Stanwick—at the time probably the best attackman in that recruiting class—had already committed to the Jays:
If you’re wondering how Morrill ended up at Yale instead of Hopkins – where his father teamed up as a junior with current Blue Jays coach Dave Pietramala on the ’87 title team – Mike Morrill says it came down to two factors.

One was a compelling recruiting pitch by Shay. The other was the presence of then-attackman/quarterback Shack Stanwick as a fixture at Homewood, where Stanwick would be a junior during Morrill’s freshman year.

“We had a fantastic recruiting trip to Hopkins, and our first visit to Yale really resonated with [Jackson]. We went back two more times. It was clear Andy really wanted him,” Mike Morrill says. “With Shack there [at Hopkins], we didn’t know if Jackson would play [for those first two years]. He wasn’t too excited about that.”
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... c-families

Of course he ended up playing second fiddle to Ben Reeves for a year or two anyway but at the time he committed, Reeves was not considered to be nearly the player that he ultimately was by the time Morrill was on campus and ready to compete for playing time.

There are lots and lots of potential recruits with ties to Hopkins lacrosse. Petro has gotten a good chunk of them. In today's landscape, you can't get them all.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 pm Do we really have to talk about sample sizes of 1?
You're the one who brought up D3 success as an indicator of D1 success. I'm saying there's a counterexample.

And yes, Brown had big losses, but did return the Tewy winner. No one expected a return to the final four under any coach the next year, but if you read the Brown thread, you'll find that Brown fans are mostly pretty underwhelmed by how Daly has done (as am I).

Moral: big success in D3 is no guarantee. That was my point.
Very true. Big success as a D1 coordinator is no guarantee as a HC. Being a HC at lower level D1 program is no guarantee as a HC at major program.

A lot of hiring is a crap shoot. But I'd go with success as a HC at any level over success as coordinator if I had a choice. If Hop were to move on, they'd probably go with someone who's had D1 success even in a lower level program. Don't know if they'd go for a guy like the youngster up at Marist or someone like Chemotti at UR.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:06 pm
Lax3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:51 pm Yale fan here - don't crush me - and I am curious how folks think Jackson Morrill, son of a JHU HOF, grandson of a JHH HOF, would've done under Benson. No clue whey he wasn't recruited by JHU, but he is up to 220 plus points for Yale. This young man seems like the kind of alumni kid who would've been perfect for JHU. Thoughts?
I certainly don't expect everyone to go back and read all 165 pages of this nonsense unless you have a death wish—that said, a 1-minute search using the search function would show you that this exact conversation has been had multiple times already. What exactly do you mean by "he wasn't recruited by JHU"? He absolutely was. Petro wanted him, but apparently Morrill wasn't thrilled that Shack Stanwick—at the time probably the best attackman in that recruiting class—had already committed to the Jays:
If you’re wondering how Morrill ended up at Yale instead of Hopkins – where his father teamed up as a junior with current Blue Jays coach Dave Pietramala on the ’87 title team – Mike Morrill says it came down to two factors.

One was a compelling recruiting pitch by Shay. The other was the presence of then-attackman/quarterback Shack Stanwick as a fixture at Homewood, where Stanwick would be a junior during Morrill’s freshman year.

“We had a fantastic recruiting trip to Hopkins, and our first visit to Yale really resonated with [Jackson]. We went back two more times. It was clear Andy really wanted him,” Mike Morrill says. “With Shack there [at Hopkins], we didn’t know if Jackson would play [for those first two years]. He wasn’t too excited about that.”
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... c-families

Of course he ended up playing second fiddle to Ben Reeves for a year or two anyway but at the time he committed, Reeves was not considered to be nearly the player that he ultimately was by the time Morrill was on campus and ready to compete for playing time.

There are lots and lots of potential recruits with ties to Hopkins lacrosse. Petro has gotten a good chunk of them. In today's landscape, you can't get them all.
Ben Reeves was the best attackman at Yale his freshman year. It was apparent by October. Public caught on later. Ben was under the radar because he wasn't a "summer showcase" type player.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Pegasus6

Post by Pegasus6 »

Without having to read all 165 pages and figuring out where this discussion came from: was there some formal announcement that there would be a change in HC after this year or is this just ruminations that a change in leadership is in order?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Pegasus6 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:26 pm Without having to read all 165 pages and figuring out where this discussion came from: was there some formal announcement that there would be a change in HC after this year or is this just ruminations that a change in leadership is in order?
The latter.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Benson would have most likely slow kill his natural talents while handcuffing him to some BS offense.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:50 pmJim Berkman, John Raba...why not? Proven winners. I don't care if it's D3.
And how has 3-time D3 national champ coach Mike Daly worked out at Brown after taking over a final-4 team?

Ok, let’s try a sample size of two then, with relevance to Hopkins:

Washington College, 1998: John Haus
At Johns Hopkins, 1999-2000 - a bunch of meh.
At UNC, 2001 through whatever it was. A bunch more meh.

We’ve been there.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

A bunch of meh?

So, you are predicting an upgrade?

Of course...

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:17 am
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Ok, let’s try a sample size of two then, with relevance to Hopkins:

Washington College, 1998: John Haus
At Johns Hopkins, 1999-2000 - a bunch of meh.
At UNC, 2001 through whatever it was. A bunch more meh.

We’ve been there.
Haus never amounted to anything at UNC but I would love a couple years of "meh" like we had in 1999 and 2000 about now (Final Four both years). The entirety of the 90s with Seaman and Haus is a preferable lacrosse experience to what we have been getting recently.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Navy was offering 750k? Typo? I find it difficult to believe. Receipts? I know what they were offering last time they had a vacancy. I know the CFO. I am not saying it can’t be true but I am very skeptical. Navy owns properties for housing coaches. When they made their FB changes last year three defensive coaches got housing.

Merrill’s father and grandfather are in the HOF as I recall. Of course Hop recruited him. Good quotes from Mike. Thanks for posting them
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Does anyone know of the staff recruited goalie Ross Blumenthal at Drexel? Started as a freshman.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:13 pm JHU06 asked for proven D1 Coaches.

Zimmerman is retired, too.
"Danowski? Can't see him leaving. Same for Tillman. Same for Shay. Same for Desko. Same for Scroggs."

Well, you listed him with a bunch of active coaches that you didn't think would leave their current jobs. I think you meant to say Breschi but ok.
Homer

Post by Homer »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:04 pm Unlikely an Ivy or large state school moves and gives up their advantages.
Sorry -- had to reply to this one. There's a long history of coaches leaving the Ivies for other jobs: Tiffany, Tillman, Tambroni, Tierney, Voelker, Sowell... going back to Pietramala himself and Starsia and Seaman before that. It'd be a shorter list of names who had success during that time and didn't go elsewhere. Turnover in the Ivies is like the drive belt on the whole coaching carousel, or at least that's how it's been for a while.
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:13 am Does anyone know of the staff recruited goalie Ross Blumenthal at Drexel? Started as a freshman.
The Sun wrote an article on him last year. Bryant was the only other DI school that recruited him. If Hopkins would have expressed interest, no doubt he would have been a Jay. His dad is a huge JHU supporter.
viper

Post by viper »

Yes he would have been perfect and I think its a bit presumptious to say "he wasn't recruited by JHU" unless you know something specific. I think he opted for Yale despite having paternal JHU lineage. Instead he followed his maternal lineage - as I thought his mom was a Yale grad.

If my facts are straight blame losing Morrill on his dad for marrying outside of his educational realm. :) :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”