Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by OCanada »

I don’t mind making the comparison. When Tierney was there we did quite well. He knows how to coach. Since then it has been a steady slide no with the passage of time They did well for a couple of years with a core there when he left. Seth leaving was a very marginal issue compared to others that have had an impact

The biggest issue for Hofstra for a long time has been the problem of keeping talent on the island. It’s not Howdy Myers’ era anymore. So much has changed in the sport and virtually none of it beneficial for Hofstra. More and more Kids want to go away. Other schools have more resources etc. it falls into the group of schools that have lost traction over the last 15 or so years imo. As things stand I don’t see anyone equaling Howdy Myers or John Danowski if they can’t overcome the other challenges.

Hobart has its own challenges. it has proven it can attract good players but they have other challenges as well. Others know the school better than I do. I will say
I went to HS in Niagara Falls and Rochester and played sports against many Canadian schools. It’s been a long time but I knew the area pretty well.

I guess what I am saying is record alone does not determine how good a coach is despite the saying you are what your record says you are. There are a lot of inputs that go a long way to determine output and define what is achievable.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

I don't know all the details on why the Women's Soccer coach was replaced but it seems the current AD isn't too afraid to replace a long tenured coach with new blood. That being said, I know lacrosse at Hopkins is way different from the Women's Soccer program.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Hop has the money, history, and infrastructure to hire the best available coach regardless of whether that coach in an alum or not. Danowski - not a Duke Alum. Andy Shay - not a Yalie. John Tillman - not a MD alum. Lars Tiffany - not a UVA alum. Bill Tierney - not a Princeton or Denver alum.

Why in the world would any decision-maker limit options? Am I missing the point of some of this discussion? I feel like I entered a Michigan football forum.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:14 pm Hop has the money, history, and infrastructure to hire the best available coach regardless of whether that coach in an alum or not. Danowski - not a Duke Alum. Andy Shay - not a Yalie. John Tillman - not a MD alum. Lars Tiffany - not a UVA alum. Bill Tierney - not a Princeton or Denver alum.

Why in the world would any decision-maker limit options? Am I missing the point of some of this discussion? I feel like I entered a Michigan football forum.
No one said the decision would be limited only to alums—in fact, quite the opposite, I'm seeing a lot of people advocating (including myself) for casting a wide net. I think the discussion has centered on Nadelen/Marr/Raymond/Tierney/Voelker/Holman/etc. because, as alums, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that they'd at least be a part of the conversation and would, in theory, be very interested in the position. (Not saying they would all take it, but I'm fairly certain they'd all at least entertain the idea of it). On the other hand, it's much harder to tell right now which non-alums would be realistic targets, IMO. I think the chances of luring a Tillman or a Shay to Homewood are not very high, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try...again, if it comes to that.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:14 pm Hop has the money, history, and infrastructure to hire the best available coach regardless of whether that coach in an alum or not. Danowski - not a Duke Alum. Andy Shay - not a Yalie. John Tillman - not a MD alum. Lars Tiffany - not a UVA alum. Bill Tierney - not a Princeton or Denver alum.

Last year someone posted the title 9 stats on the cost of a d1 mens lax program. I think at the high end it's something like $1.7-$2 million a year including scholarships etc. For a university that just raised $2.8 billion last year this better be like unc replacing dean smith with roy williams or rock chalk replacing williams with a white hot bill self. The next coach will be replacing the schools all time winningest coach. Tambroni, Toomey, Andy Shay, there should be a f-you $ offer and for assistants as well and whatever else they need as they would if they were recruiting a key hospital exec or med school dean. Lacrosse along with the hospital, med school, and homewood is one of 4 parts of the university people think of first and there should be no expense spared. University brags constantly about how big its brass balls are, lets see them throw them on the table and get someone proven who can start winning again next spring.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:39 pm lets see them throw them on the table and get someone proven who can start winning again next spring.
Proven champions in D1 yields a very, very, short list.

Tierney, who coached at Hop, just got an extension at DU. If there wasn't a contract issue, that's who I'd go after if I were an AD, and I was looking for a "proven" winner, as opposed to a younger "promising" Head Coach.

Danowski? Can't see him leaving. Same for Tillman. Same for Shay. Same for Desko. Same for Scroggs.

Bring Zim back? Can't see that, either, but he's a proven winner. Who's left?

Only proven coach that imho, might (emphasis on might) leave is Toomey.

Everyone else is "unproven" as a D1 Championship coach.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:39 pm lets see them throw them on the table and get someone proven who can start winning again next spring.

Tierney, who coached at Hop, just got an extension at DU. If there wasn't a contract issue, that's who I'd go after if I were an AD, and I was looking for a "proven" winner, as opposed to a younger "promising" Head Coach.

Danowski? Can't see him leaving. Same for Tillman. Same for Shay. Same for Desko. Same for Scroggs.

I remember reading an IL article related to the Navy HC search: Navy wanted to get Toomey and offered a fair amount of $$$ but a loyola spokesperson was quoted saying he has multiple years left on his current contract
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

At 67, Tierney's too old. Does he still have the fire-in-the-belly to recruit? (I'm guessing not.)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Never say never but Charley isn’t going anywhere. The faith-based nature of Loyola is quite important to him. It’d take ‘Bloomberg cash’ to overcome that and all the other intangibles that connect Charley and Loyola.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:39 pmFor a university that just raised $2.8 billion last year
And how much of that can be spent on sports per the terms of the donors' gifts? My guess is very little.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:39 pm be like unc replacing dean smith with roy williams
Just as an FYI, Roy Williams didn't replace Dean Smith. Dean Smith (a Kansas alum) retired right before the season started and his assistant Bill Guthridge was the HC for 3 years. Guthridge retired 3 years later and was replaced by Brad Doherty (a UNC alum and was HC at ND at the time). Doherty was effectively canned 3 years in to his reign and then Roy Williams (a UNC alum) was hired. And the rest is history.

But, to think Hopkins should limit itself to hiring a coach played at Hopkins is absurd. They should get the best person for the job. It might help if there is a connection to Hopkins but that shouldn't be a requirement.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:39 pm be like unc replacing dean smith with roy williams
Just as an FYI, Roy Williams didn't replace Dean Smith. Dean Smith (a Kansas alum) retired right before the season started and his assistant Bill Guthridge was the HC for 3 years. Guthridge retired 3 years later and was replaced by Brad Doherty (a UNC alum and was HC at ND at the time). Doherty was effectively canned 3 years in to his reign and then Roy Williams (a UNC alum) was hired. And the rest is history.

But, to think Hopkins should limit itself to hiring a coach played at Hopkins is absurd. They should get the best person for the job. It might help if there is a connection to Hopkins but that shouldn't be a requirement.
Matt Doherty
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Pretty sure Scroggs is retired
a fan

Post by a fan »

JHU06 asked for proven D1 Coaches.

Zimmerman is retired, too.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:13 pm JHU06 asked for proven D1 Coaches.

Zimmerman is retired, too.
Is proven means having won a title, Starsia is available....EDIT: I believe Petro is a good coach. I like the looks of the last two classes and I have been hard on his player selection.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

FYI no Mellen for Cuse against Hopkins. SSDM Peter Dearth is a maybe and FOGO Phaup is OK.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:26 pm
I remember reading an IL article related to the Navy HC search: Navy wanted to get Toomey and offered a fair amount of $$$ but a loyola spokesperson was quoted saying he has multiple years left on his current contract
Navy was throwing $750K and on-base housing. Went after established, high profile coaches. Got Amplo...a good hire for sure but one with an unknown ceiling.

Just because Nads is having a down year doesn't make him a bad coach. He's more proven than Tills was before Maryland. He's more proven than Dano was before Duke.

Mike Murphy...great coach. Nick Myers...great coach. Kevin Warne...great coach.

But consider something else. Winning is winning. Building a program is building a program. U Buffalo hired Lance Leipold as their football coach after he won a gazillion titles at a D3 school. He's not long for UB and will end up in a power conference.

Jim Berkman, John Raba...why not? Proven winners. I don't care if it's D3. They know how to build winning cultures. They're great in-game coaches. Great game planners. They know how to win at the highest level of their sport.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Speaking of proven coaches...Bill Belichick will be at the Hopkins-Navy game in two weeks. He tends to be a bad omen for the Jays when he shows up on the sideline.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/04/ ... osse-game/
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:57 pm Speaking of proven coaches...Bill Belichick will be at the Hopkins-Navy game in two weeks. He tends to be a bad omen for the Jays when he shows up on the sideline.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/04/ ... osse-game/
Great, just bring those two breasts along with him and hope for warm weather.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:50 pmJim Berkman, John Raba...why not? Proven winners. I don't care if it's D3.
And how has 3-time D3 national champ coach Mike Daly worked out at Brown after taking over a final-4 team?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”