Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by jrn19 »

Mr. F wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:04 pm
JHUFan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:55 am Any speculation on possible would-be replacements for Petro?
My guess is that the Athletic Department would try to focus the search first on Alums (of which there are many). The loyalty factor might allow them to negotiate a lower salary. I'd predict the favorite would be Seth Tiereny of Hofstra. He has recent history with the program, leading Hop to a title in 2005 as an assistant. He also has done a really good job at Hofstra making due with what little talent he has. If memory serves me right, they were ranked as high as #2 in 2017. Some on this board have called for Scott Marr. I think he'd be a good fit, but it would be hard to pry him away from a program that, while successful, has lower expectations and pressure associated with it. It's a good gig for him, he has the resources there to be successful, so I don't picture him leaving.
I predict if Hopkins hires Seth Tierney this board will self destruct from the schadenfreude of rival teams fans. I do not say this lightly, but suggesting Hopkins replace Dave Pietramala with Seth Tierney is maybe the single dumbest comment I've ever seen in my life.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:10 pm
JHUFan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:55 am Any speculation on possible would-be replacements for Petro?
My guess is that the Athletic Department would try to focus the search first on Alums (of which there are many). The loyalty factor might allow them to negotiate a lower salary. I'd predict the favorite would be Seth Tiereny of Hofstra. He has recent history with the program, leading Hop to a title in 2005 as an assistant. He also has done a really good job at Hofstra making due with what little talent he has. If memory serves me right, they were ranked as high as #2 in 2017. Some on this board have called for Scott Marr. I think he'd be a good fit, but it would be hard to pry him away from a program that, while successful, has lower expectations and pressure associated with it. It's a good gig for him, he has the resources there to be successful, so I don't picture him leaving.
I predict if Hopkins hires Seth Tierney this board will self destruct from the schadenfreude of rival teams fans. I do not say this lightly, but suggesting Hopkins replace Dave Pietramala with Seth Tierney is maybe the single dumbest comment I've ever seen in my life.

You might be correct; maybe I'm wrong. I don't know Tierney, but I like graduates taking over programs.

There has to be SOME candidate in Baltimore that can manage this program! How about Ryan Brown?
laxphan16

Post by laxphan16 »

Maybe just ask Bloomberg once the whole presidential race thing runs its course. You know "just throw money at the problem" sort of strategy. LOL
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:19 pm

You might be correct; maybe I'm wrong. I don't know Tierney, but I like graduates taking over programs.

There has to be SOME candidate in Baltimore that can manage this program! How about Ryan Brown?
Hopkins has plenty of alums that would make for good hires. Nadelen has taken Towson to more NCAAs since 2013 than all but 9 or 10 programs, including a Fonal four and an additional QF. Raymond took over a program that hadn’t had a winning season in 6 years and is looking at his 4th in 5 and likely 2nd NCAAT appearance in 5 years. Marr seems to have slipped a bit at Albany the last two years but his resume speaks for itself.

Tierney meanwhile has had 8 straight seasons missing the NCAA Tournament and more often than not in those 8 years finished 4th in his own conference as opposed to 1-3. And he has easily the best job in that conference, and one of the 3-4 best non-B1G/ACC/Ivy jobs in the whole country. He’s a monument to underachievement. Hopkins could do so much better even if they just restricted their search to alumnus.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

admin has a strict anti-alumni preference policy. It's against the meritocratic social equity values of the modern Johns Hopkins University to give preference to anyone based on past association with the school. You played here, your wife worked as a nurse saving kids at the hospital, we're not counting that, wouldn't be fair to the princeton educated guy whose great grandfather started a company to profit off union needs during the civil war. Among other qualities the school will seek in a coach are pledges to strictly adhere to the schools committment to sustainability (you best be a paper straw guy instead of a plastic straw guy and reusable grocery bag man), social justice (in the interview they will expect a recruiting plan that includes low income, racial/geographic diversity and a cap on the number of guys named chad), pledge to use inclusive personal pronouns in all forms of communication (this is very important), a plan to work closely with university sportswear partners to ensure the program doesn't wear the same uniform combo twice in a season (and of course that all gear is made of sustainable fair trade materials), ideas on how to foster student academic success that gets more lacrosse players into progressive focused majors and career paths and oh and if you win once in awhile that's ok too.
laxphan16

Post by laxphan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:38 pm admin has a strict anti-alumni preference policy. It's against the meritocratic social equity values of the modern Johns Hopkins University to give preference to anyone based on past association with the school. You played here, your wife worked as a nurse saving kids at the hospital, we're not counting that, wouldn't be fair to the princeton educated guy whose great grandfather started a company to profit off union needs during the civil war. Among other qualities the school will seek in a coach are pledges to strictly adhere to the schools committment to sustainability (you best be a paper straw guy instead of a plastic straw guy and reusable grocery bag man), social justice (in the interview they will expect a recruiting plan that includes low income, racial/geographic diversity and a cap on the number of guys named chad), pledge to use inclusive personal pronouns in all forms of communication (this is very important), a plan to work closely with university sportswear partners to ensure the program doesn't wear the same uniform combo twice in a season (and of course that all gear is made of sustainable fair trade materials), ideas on how to foster student academic success that gets more lacrosse players into progressive focused majors and career paths and oh and if you win once in awhile that's ok too.
This post is epic!
This thread absolutely needs more sarcasm!
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Who are the young up and comers that are not JHU alumni? Torpey? Chemotti?
laxphan16

Post by laxphan16 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm Who are the young up and comers that are not JHU alumni? Torpey? Chemotti?
Chemotti would be great
Cassese?

Lot of other hot young coaches just took new posts this year including:
Gilardi Stonybrook
Stimmel Marquette
Baxter Fairfield

Amplo would have been great as well.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm Who are the young up and comers that are not JHU alumni? Torpey? Chemotti?
I've got some nitpicks with Chemotti, but on the balance he's an excellent coach. Who knows if you'd be able to pull Warne from Georgetown, but he's building something potentially special there. There are other guys like McMinn and Wilkinson doing good jobs, but Hopkins can pull better.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:34 pm Keep Petro. Hire new offense and Defense coordinators
I lay plenty of blame for this mess at Bensons cleats. Not so much at Dwans. Dwan runs the box, runs the face off guys and supports Petro. Not sure what he’s done that’s inadequate.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

laxphan16 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:51 pm
Chemotti would be great
Cassese?

Lot of other hot young coaches just took new posts this year including:
Gilardi Stonybrook
Stimmel Marquette
Baxter Fairfield

Amplo would have been great as well.
Cassese has been at Lehigh for 13 years now. Got hired young, but he's past the up and coming phase. His record isn't as good as some of the others out there as well
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:55 pm
Mightyjoe wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:34 pm Keep Petro. Hire new offense and Defense coordinators
I lay plenty of blame for this mess at Bensons cleats. Not so much at Dwans. Dwan runs the box, runs the face off guys and supports Petro. Not sure what he’s done that’s inadequate.
Dwan is also the good cop to Petro's bad cop? I think he comes back around and tries to lift the guys up after getting a good ripping from coach.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:19 pm

It really should be “no chest protector” DB.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm
Dwan is also the good cop to Petro's bad cop? I think he comes back around and tries to lift the guys up after getting a good ripping from coach.
He also does the film studies, tailored for each opponent and custom for each Hopkins defender.
laxphan16

Post by laxphan16 »

In defense of Coach Benson JHU stats via analytics lacrosse:
Offensive Efficiency:
2014- 10th
2015- 2nd
2016- 3rd
2017- 9th
2018- 3rd

Defensive Efficiency:
2014- 7th
2015- 30th
2016- 39th
2017- 24th
2018- 18th

Which side of the ball looks more consistent?
Last edited by laxphan16 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:06 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm
He also does the film studies, tailored for each opponent and custom for each Hopkins defender.
So he's completely to blame?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:10 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:06 pm He also does the film studies, tailored for each opponent and custom for each Hopkins defender.
So he's completely to blame?
:D :D :D
Laxrat

Post by Laxrat »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:38 pm admin has a strict anti-alumni preference policy. It's against the meritocratic social equity values of the modern Johns Hopkins University to give preference to anyone based on past association with the school. You played here, your wife worked as a nurse saving kids at the hospital, we're not counting that, wouldn't be fair to the princeton educated guy whose great grandfather started a company to profit off union needs during the civil war. Among other qualities the school will seek in a coach are pledges to strictly adhere to the schools committment to sustainability (you best be a paper straw guy instead of a plastic straw guy and reusable grocery bag man), social justice (in the interview they will expect a recruiting plan that includes low income, racial/geographic diversity and a cap on the number of guys named chad), pledge to use inclusive personal pronouns in all forms of communication (this is very important), a plan to work closely with university sportswear partners to ensure the program doesn't wear the same uniform combo twice in a season (and of course that all gear is made of sustainable fair trade materials), ideas on how to foster student academic success that gets more lacrosse players into progressive focused majors and career paths and oh and if you win once in awhile that's ok too.
+1
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Seth Tierney is unacceptable because his record at Hofstra isn’t that good? Using the kind of logic so often found here e.g. inductive logic he wouldn’t be any better at Hopkins? John Danowski coached at Hofstra and didn’t do so great either. Alums were calling for his removal. It might have happened but Duke called him and now he is brilliant. He didn’t change; the advantages/disadvantages of his employer changed.

Nads? Well sheesh just look at their record this year and the internal problems they had last year.

Marr? Reaped a bounty when he hit the Thompson trio that Cuse couldn’t get in and was able to build on.

Steel Stanwick has done well with the women’s team. But they are not men.

Unlikely an Ivy or large state school moves and gives up their advantages.

Carry on, drink if you must.

Cart and horse comes to mind
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

danowski was 192-123 over 21 years (better if you throw out the 1st years taking over a 3 and 11 team), had only 3 losing seasons after his 1st 2, had 8 conference titles in 20 years, was 72-16 in conference vs like teams, and was 17 and 2 & made the quarterfinals the year the duke job came open. @ hofstra.

only commenting on danowski. and i don't have a problem with him, but don't genuflect for him, either.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”