Florida V Dartmouth

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax247

Florida V Dartmouth

Post by Lax247 »

So good game today at 3pm, on ESPN+ which is unusual for Florida games.
Any Shot Dartmouth can pull out a win?
wlaxnut

Re: Florida V Dartmouth

Post by wlaxnut »

Lax247 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:03 pm So good game today at 3pm, on ESPN+ which is unusual for Florida games.
Any Shot Dartmouth can pull out a win?
I think so. They’re a tough talented Ivy Leaguer, and they’re home. Looking forward to it myself.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I think Dartmouth may stay close, but I think Florida just has some really good athletes. I think we'll see a narrow Florida win.

Thanks for letting me/us know there was a good game to watch today!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I think FLA's one loss was an outlier to their season. I think they beat Dartmouth...

A factor not to ignore - Florida's beautiful grass field and nice warm temperatures....I would expect that they might not like playing in New Hampshire if it is seasonally cold. Just checked weather and it is supposed to be 55 degrees, so that may not be a big issue.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Midweek upset?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:38 pmThanks for letting me/us know there was a good game to watch today!
It was Lax247, but I’ll thank him for ye.

https://youtu.be/V5tgZqBhHkk

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:25 pm Midweek upset?
question to you guys/gals....in pro football the HFA is just under 3 points. What do you think the HFA is for WLAX? 1-2 goals? Does it apply when you have disparate teams?
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I wonder whether there even is a HFA in wlax. I can’t say that I have detected one with the team I follow most. I’ve probably watched wlax games at 10 schools, and I just don’t think home teams get enough of a crowd for the atmosphere to make much of a difference. That would leave the advantages as the benefit of not having to travel and also familiarity with the playing surface, which is probably most significant for goalies. I wonder if there is a quantifiable HFA. Interesting question. Maybe for Maryland because they do get large and boisterous home crowds and play on a unique surface, but they rarely lose anywhere. What we do know is that they really prefer home games to playing in NY blizzards.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:04 pm I wonder whether there even is a HFA in wlax. I can’t say that I have detected one with the team I follow most. I’ve probably watched wlax games at 10 schools, and I just don’t think home teams get enough of a crowd for the atmosphere to make much of a difference. That would leave the advantages as the benefit of not having to travel and also familiarity with the playing surface, which is probably most significant for goalies. I wonder if there is a quantifiable HFA. Interesting question. Maybe for Maryland because they do get large and boisterous home crowds and play on a unique surface, but they rarely lose anywhere. What we do know is that they really prefer home games to playing in NY blizzards.
I agree with you...the only benefit is comfort and not traveling. Not much crowd generated benefit (i.e. cheering loudly so plays cant be called)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

2nd goal by Dartmouth was a sweet dodge.

3-1 Dartmouth
3-2 Dartmouth
3-3 tie
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Good start from the Ancient Eight.

By the way, it was in the 60s today in New Hampshire -- that's May weather here normally. So Florida is lucky. Just a perfect day to play lacrosse.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hfa = home field advantage.

Live Stats. 3-3 at time of posting.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 pm hfa = home field advantage.

Live Stats. 3-3 at time of posting.
There are probably 100 people there in Hanover. Maybe some high school kids and youth players. No advantage from that perspective.

But Hanover is a real chore to get to. Fly to Boston, get in a bus for 3 hours or so, right? Fly to Manchester (or, as we say, Manchvegas) and a 2 hour bus ride. Gators just have to shake it off and play. They look fine so far.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

dartmouth looks fast
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

No. 20 for Dartmouth is their top scorer, I think. But she scores as a finisher from good off-ball movement. Not a dodger to my knowledge. SHe's a SSSA grad; Doc, did you run into her in VA?

Dartmouth seems very well-coached.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm dartmouth looks fast
I am surprised at the apparent athleticism of Dartmouth.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:12 pm
Badlands wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:04 pm I wonder whether there even is a HFA in wlax. I can’t say that I have detected one with the team I follow most. I’ve probably watched wlax games at 10 schools, and I just don’t think home teams get enough of a crowd for the atmosphere to make much of a difference. That would leave the advantages as the benefit of not having to travel and also familiarity with the playing surface, which is probably most significant for goalies. I wonder if there is a quantifiable HFA. Interesting question. Maybe for Maryland because they do get large and boisterous home crowds and play on a unique surface, but they rarely lose anywhere. What we do know is that they really prefer home games to playing in NY blizzards.
I agree with you...the only benefit is comfort and not traveling. Not much crowd generated benefit (i.e. cheering loudly so plays cant be called)
To put some numbers to the opinions... some quick math:
So far this season 280 women's d1 games have been played.
The home team record is 164-116, therefore the Away team record is 116-164.
Average home team margin of victory is 7.59
Average away team margin of victory is 6.43

this doesn't account for rankings, etc, and some of these might have been neutral sites.

if you cap the margin of victory to <=10 goals.
Average home team margin of victory = 4.85
Average away team margin of victory = 4.46
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

Florida, what are you doing to me?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:09 pm Florida, what are you doing to me?
I think Dartmouth may be doing it to us.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:34 pm No. 20 for Dartmouth is their top scorer, I think. But she scores as a finisher from good off-ball movement. Not a dodger to my knowledge. SHe's a SSSA grad; Doc, did you run into her in VA?

Dartmouth seems very well-coached.
Yep, played with my daughter (I think) on the DCMetro team for Schoolgirl's. Daughter also played against her at the annual SSSA spring fling games.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”