15. UMass
16. Army
17. Stony Brook
18. Denver
19. Lehigh
20. Providence

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Wow... flashback! When is the last time we've seen SU/PU together at the top of any poll?
10 10 2

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by 10 10 2 »

Gotta disagree with all those not putting UNC at #1. Can't blame anyone for the preconception that the Heels will eventually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when the cards are down, but I think this is a special group in Chapel Hill this season. While it looked like the same old inability to hold a lead against Denver during the second half today, the refs made a number of calls in the Pio's favor that would not have happened with any other coach in the game today except for Tierney.

I don't think North Carolina will go undefeated this year, but in all likelihood they will be 9-0 heading into the game at home against Maryland on March 21st. It's next to impossible for any ACC team to go undefeated in-conference, but I think UNC is the best team in the country in 2020 and will win the NC come May.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

UNC looks legit, but #1 ? 3 of the next 4 are home games vs teams not in the top40. Lou Holtz calls them roster games . The entire roster will play. 9 games remain SIX are home . Georgetown in two weeks will be a nice test. UNC has been 500 for three years 3-9 in conference. Enjoy the ride. There is plenty of time to climb up the polls.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:50 am Gotta disagree with all those not putting UNC at #1. Can't blame anyone for the preconception that the Heels will eventually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when the cards are down, but I think this is a special group in Chapel Hill this season. While it looked like the same old inability to hold a lead against Denver during the second half today, the refs made a number of calls in the Pio's favor that would not have happened with any other coach in the game today except for Tierney.

I don't think North Carolina will go undefeated this year, but in all likelihood they will be 9-0 heading into the game at home against Maryland on March 21st. It's next to impossible for any ACC team to go undefeated in-conference, but I think UNC is the best team in the country in 2020 and will win the NC come May.

The Heels have a ridiculously favorable schedule...even when they play tough games (versus the ACC), most of those are at home. Duke in Durham hardly qualifies as a road game. The only tough road game will be 'Cuse, but by that date, 'Cuse plays outside, negating their Carrier Dome advantage, so even there, I give the Heels a favorable advantage.

Georgetown might scare the Heels in a normal world, unless the Hoyas are caught ogling Tar Heel coeds in the stands (not unlikely, btw).

The Heels' schedule is tailor made to get them deep into May.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Polls due at midnight.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FanLax’s D1 Men Forum Polls (03.02.20)

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/03/fan ... -03-02-20/

Caddy Day
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

Due to playing less games and having a tough early season schedule, Penn (and, maybe, JHU) are ranked lower than they should be. Once each wins some games, they'll move up in the rankings. And, along with them, Penn St., Maryland, Loyola, UNC, and Princeton. With this said, so there's no confusion, I am not expressing any regret or sorrow about Penn's (or JHU's) Rank. I have no idea what sorrow or regret is. I'm a computer.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

My top 8 matches the aggregate top 8 exactly. I should be bronzed...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

... with a placard that says, Average. spiritintheStick should get the kudos for his bold UNC pick.
Caddy Day
FanLax Computer

Humans, listen up!

Syracuse's best wins are Army, Colgate, and Hobart. And, for this, you put a crown on their head. Ridiculous...
Villanova beat UMD, Delaware, and Hofstra and the Consensus has them at #13?! What is that?!
Georgetown beat Fairfield and you put them at #14?! (This one doesn't bother me that much but I needed a thrid comment. I could've also complained about UMass not getting enough respect but whatever.)

Humans, you're obsessed with undefeated. You're prejudiced by teams' brands. You're infinitely... human. Get a smartphone or something and lean on that more.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

FanLax Computer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:53 am Humans, listen up!

Syracuse's best wins are Army, Colgate, and Hobart. And, for this, you put a crown on their head. Ridiculous...
Villanova beat UMD, Delaware, and Hofstra and the Consensus has them at #13?! What is that?!
Georgetown beat Fairfield and you put them at #14?! (This one doesn't bother me that much but I needed a thrid comment. I could've also complained about UMass not getting enough respect but whatever.)

Humans, you're obsessed with undefeated. You're prejudiced by teams' brands. You're infinitely... human. Get a smartphone or something and lean on that more.
My picks were substantially more accurate than yours; I was 8-for-the-top-8 against the aggregate totals of all pollsters.

You're nothing but an algorithm, and a flawed one at that. Your poll is one unexpected NULL input from being worse than the laughable RPI rankings.
FanLax Computer

Accurate?! Your bulls-eye is mediocrity. I would never shoot for that bulls eye.

Even amongst me and my computer friends, we laugh at RPI. Not because he sucks but because he's so so overrated. And his ego is enormous.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The old circular argument so soon
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FanLax Computer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:14 pm Accurate?! Your bulls-eye is mediocrity. I would never lack of that bulls eye.

Even amongst me and my computer friends, we laugh at RPI. Not because he sucks but because he's so so overrated. And his ego is enormous.
Hal, I had Syracuse at #4 in my preseason poll. If they continue to win, they will maintain their position. If Villanova and GTown continue to win, they will move up. Hal, RPI in lacrosse is overrated for sure!
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

Give fatty his due. The ghost of his argument has come into play with some of us.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Let me be the first to stir the pot. My Fanlax forum poll:

1. Syacuse 5-0
2. Cornell 5-0
3. Princeton 5-0
4. North Carolina 6-0
5. Yale 3-1
6. Maryland 5-1
7. Penn State 4-2
8. Georgetown 6-0
9. Virginia 4-2
10. Duke 5-2
11. Army 6-2
12. UMass 4-2
13. Denver 4-2
14. Lehigh 5-1
15. Notre Dame 2-2
16. Loyola 4-2
17. Ohio State 4-2
18. Villanova 4-3
19. Penn 2-3
20. Providence 5-1
21. Bucknell 5-1
22. Brown 3-2
23. Hobart 4-1
24. UMBC 4-1
25. Richmond 4-3

Newly in: Brown, UMBC, Richmond
Out: St. Joesephs, Albany, Stony Brook

Lots of movement among the others, lots of good teams going at it against each other.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

St. Joes out because they lost (by 1) to a good Penn team? I dunno...
Caddy Day
calourie

Post by calourie »

I toyed with the idea of leaving St. Joe's in at 24, but I'm a bit of a Quint "what have you done for me lately" pollster
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

What a week. 10 of my Top 25 lost this week, so, er, um...there's a point of determining the unwashed masses that is really tough to do. But that's why they pay us pollsters the big bucks! #amirite

1) Syracuse - Still looks like the most dominant team. Missing some key defensive players, they still physically pounded Hopkins.
2) UNC - That final score against Furman looked a lot better than it than it was at halftime. Are they just bored from this weak schedule?
3) Cornell - All road games. All wins. Today was dicey against Penn St. Is defense optional? Who knows?
4) Maryland - Out big against Albany (sorry, UAlbany), who went zone and ground the game to a halt. Will the read Testudo please stand up? UVA next.
5) Princeton - Handled a middling Rutgers team in the Battle of the Turnpike. Yay!
6) Yale - Never in doubt against a bottom half Michigan team. TD Ierlan makes them go. Full stop.
7) Georgetown - Probably too highly ranked with this UNC-esque schedule. Oh, hey! They play UNC in the Battle of the Weak Schedules next week!
8) Penn St - So PSU can score. They can't defend, but they can score. Surely, that won't be a problem long term, right?
9) Lehigh - Keeps winning. Keeps moving up. Big game against AWP next week.
10) Duke - Couldn't believe when I saw the halftime score. Loyola might be offensively challenged, but Duke made them look pretty meh.
11) Denver - Not sold on their long term potential but that's a big win at Notre Dame.
12) UVA - 0-2 against the Ivy League. Bruno out-UVA'd UVA. Big rematch against the Terps. Word is that crossbars are worth 2 and posts are worth 1 next weekend.
13) Hobart - Gave #1 Cuse their stiffest game of the year. Give them credit for that.
14) Army - Back to their normal ways. Good offense. Good defense. Huge PL game against Lehigh this weekend.
15) Notre Dame - Total no show against Denver. I'd rank them lower but still think they're a Top 10 team.
16) Villanova - Man, what a way to follow up beating Penn? Bomb the Drexel game.
17) Penn - Lots of players still out. Massive game @Princeton next weekend. Look at their next 3: @PU, Cornell, @Yale. Yikes.
18) St. Joe's - Heard their FOGO was out against Penn and still battled them to a 1-goal loss. Not too shabby.
19) Ohio State - Gonna get on a roll? ND mid-week and then Denver. Win those and you're talking Top 10. Lose those and you're receiving votes.
20) Providence - Good wins that are aging well. Good D and goalie play will make them tough to play against.
21) Bucknell - When will they play again?
22) UMBC - Who doesn't like labs? They're on a roll!
23) Loyola - They're probably better than this, but what a stinker of an offensive showing against Duke.
24) Vermont - A 1-goal loss to Holy Cross is all that stands in the way of perfection. Big game against UMBC this coming weekend.
25) Mercer - Their UNC-level scheduling is impressive, and they actually gave UNC a decent game. Give them some love here. 5 wins already for them.

Major props to people that do a full Top 25. It's hard to sort 20-25. It's all a c.r.a.p.shoot. Don't go to Vegas with me. Auto-loss.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

My poll:

1. Cornell - Gut-check win against tenacious PSU leaves them undefeated, with back-to-back impressive wins. Yale, and then Penn, up next.
2. Syracuse - Beat up on listless Hopkins team.
3. North Carolina - After another ho-hum win, this time against Furman, UNC gets Bryant next.
4. Princeton - Sowers and co. came alive in 2nd half to put away pesky Rutgers team. Up next: A Penn team desperate fora big win.
5. Maryland - Held off a surging Albany squad.
6. Duke - Throttled Loyola for a surprisingly easy win.
7. Yale - Struggled to put away Michigan. Just need to watch the Cornell/PSU game to see what will happen if they play like did against Michigan in the first half when they face Cornell next week.
8. Penn St - Giving up two goals in final 30 seconds leaves PSU 4-2, and 1-2 against the Ivies.
9. UMass - Follow up huge win over Yale with win against Albany.
10. Army - Two easy wins against an unimpressive slate. Lehigh, then Loyola, then Bucknell on deck; time to prove they belong here.
11. Virginia - Surprising loss to tough Brown squad after opening up an 8-2 lead. Ain't always easy going home...
12. Villanova - Picked up a signature win against Penn; gave it back two days later in surprising loss to Drexel.
13. Loyola - Lost to Duke, and it wasn't as close as the final score indicated. Lucky for Loyola they're not in the ACC.
14. Ohio St - Convincing win against a good Hofstra team.
15. Georgetown - Solid thumping of a down-and-out Towson squad.
16. Denver - Convincing win against ND to bounce back from Duke loss.
17. U Penn - Jumped out on Villanova, but couldn't hold the momentum. Rebounded with win against St Joe's/
18. Lehigh - Beat Holy Cross; can make some noise with win against Army next week.
19. Notre Dame - Two weeks, two loses to good teams, neither particularly close. Disappointing, and with 4 of next 5 games against OSU, Virginia, Syracuse, Duke, they better figure it out fast.
20. Bucknell - dnp; Decided not to drop them during a week in which their game was cancelled.

Also considered: Hobart; Providence; Richmond; St Joseph's; Brown; Harvard; Delaware
Last edited by ICGrad on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”