Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu08

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by jhu08 »

viper wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:18 am
jhu08 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:07 pm
loyola11 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:31 pm I think Epstein is a competitor, he will never win one at Hopkins, he will be doomed to .500 seasons. Gray did not stay at Boston U, he saw the writing on the wall.
Yeah, not winning is totally why Gray left BU.
I sense (and am hopeful for sarcasm there). How many players commit to BU with the expectation of a National Championship????
Yes, it was. I thought it was pretty widely known that Gray’s reasons for departing BU were related to his desired choice of major and that not working out at BU. But based on some of the discussion in this thread before my post, maybe that’s not the case.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu08 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:50 am
loyola11 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:31 pm I think Epstein is a competitor, he will never win one at Hopkins, he will be doomed to .500 seasons. Gray did not stay at Boston U, he saw the writing on the wall.
I sense (and am hopeful for sarcasm there). How many players commit to BU with the expectation of a National Championship????
Yes, it was. I thought it was pretty widely known that Gray’s reasons for departing BU were related to his desired choice of major and that not working out at BU. But based on some of the discussion in this thread before my post, maybe that’s not the case.

I'm certain that there are not that many people who know the real reason why Gray left for UNC, but I'm more than certain that no one who posts here at FanLax knows why! Let the dude play, try talking about the game instead. Sheesh, people.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am

I'm certain that there are not that many people who know the real reason why Gray left for UNC, but I'm more than certain that no one who posts here at FanLax knows why! Let the dude play, try talking about the game instead. Sheesh, people.
Maybe Loyola fans should stay out of the JHU thread suggesting our best player is going to transfer because he’s not winning.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu08 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:21 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am

Maybe Loyola fans should stay out of the JHU thread suggesting our best player is going to transfer because he’s not winning.

I agree; loyola11 shouldn't post stuff he knows nothing about. Uninformed speculation adds nothing. No argument from me about that.

Play the game, discuss afterward. Onward.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Listen to all these Syracuse guys. The Metallica song is called "Enter Sandman" not "Enter Sandbag"
JHUFan

Post by JHUFan »

Any speculation on possible would-be replacements for Petro?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:40 am
stupefied wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:22 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:06 am
Chitown wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:39 pm 1. Never ever criticize individual Hopkins lacrosse players. They all are playing to win. They don't want to lose. They are putting forth a lot of effort in practice and during games. Honor that effort. I don't know any former players who are not rooting for the players and team to succeed.
+1. The more you know, the less you should say.
Agree.
9-13 in last 22. 13 losses should be a career not 1.25 seasons.
And this is a reason why students should be called out by name? By a person who goes by a screen name?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Wow. Don’t ever read SEC Football message boards.
DMac

Post by DMac »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:41 am Listen to all these Syracuse guys. The Metallica song is called "Enter Sandman" not "Enter Sandbag"
Umm, no, not sanbagging. Phaup leaves the Bart game injured, Dearth leaves with a bad leg, Mellen week to week and hasn't seen any action since game one. No way he's game ready even if the leg is. Cuse just given the curse of being ranked number one. Hop fans might continue to eat their own and count Hop out, but Cuse fans aren't foolish enough to do the same. A hungry team with their backs up against the wall is a dangerous team, knocking off the number one team is a good way to turn their season around. No sandbagging going on here.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Syracuse will pummel Hopkins even with three Orange legs tied behind their backs.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 am Syracuse will pummel Hopkins even with three Orange legs tied behind their backs.
Exactly. Since the 2008, SU is 9-4 against Hopkins. In many of the match ups Hopkins was the favored or higher ranked team and Hopkins has still lost. Desko owns Petro over the last decade. When it has been the opposite, SU has killed Hopkins. SU is going to run Hopkins off the field because they won't be afraid to push the pace of play. I think 18-10 sounds about right.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

I don't know if it is similar with other coaches/program but it seems like you can almost predict the trajectory of a players career by the amount of PT you get in freshman year. If you are top tier, you make it into the starting lineup pretty quickly or get significant PT. If you are a 1-3 game player, you are pretty much destined for only for mop up duty. If you get into 6-7 games, that's pretty much your career stat line. If you are not playing significantly in the first year. Somebody the top tier in the next class surpasses you.
A Degnon is the rare case.
Amirite?
Is it a matter of lack of development or is it that hard to improve and leapfrog other players and make it into the line up?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Yes, it was. I thought it was pretty widely known that Gray’s reasons for departing BU were related to his desired choice of major....
I truly hope that folks have are not that naive. BU is a medium-sized Uni, with dozens of majors to choose from. What major does Carolina offer that no one else does? Even if BU doesn't offer an exact match, I'd bet anyone there could elf-design their own major and get really close.

Let's put on our critical thinking skills here; there are plenty of reasons for a D1 transfer, but major is not gonna be one of the top reasons, at the undergrad level. Not trying to pick on the kid, a great player and I wish him well at Carolina, but let's just acknowledge that using a 'major for transfer reasons is more spin, than anything else.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 am Wow. Don’t ever read SEC Football message boards.
No, I won't.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Seems naive to think that Gray leaving had absolutely nothing to do with him dropping triple digit points and not even sniffing the playoffs. List of schools was John's Hopkins, UNC, Cornell, Yale, Cuse (not sure he was interested but they certainly were), and Duke. Funny how he was only looking at high level teams loaded with talent and playoff potential. Never heard any rumors about Dartmouth or Brown.
viper

Post by viper »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:21 am I don't know if it is similar with other coaches/program but it seems like you can almost predict the trajectory of a players career by the amount of PT you get in freshman year. If you are top tier, you make it into the starting lineup pretty quickly or get significant PT. If you are a 1-3 game player, you are pretty much destined for only for mop up duty. If you get into 6-7 games, that's pretty much your career stat line. If you are not playing significantly in the first year. Somebody the top tier in the next class surpasses you.
A Degnon is the rare case.
Amirite?
Is it a matter of lack of development or is it that hard to improve and leapfrog other players and make it into the line up?
I see what you are getting at with respect to DP and JHU. However, you are forgetting one very important factor and that is who is playing ahead of the freshman. Sometimes even the most talented of freshman have to wait their turn behind equally (or more) talented folks on the field. There was a time, many decades ago, when many future Hopkins AAs rarely saw the field as freshman.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Seems to me that for whatever reason Gray was a late bloomer on the recruiting scene and by the time the big schools came around he had already built a relationship with BU and stuck with them. Then he accomplishes about everything that he can at BU and then decides to test the waters at a bigger program. I don't see anything wrong with that.
viper

Post by viper »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:58 am Seems naive to think that Gray leaving had absolutely nothing to do with him dropping triple digit points and not even sniffing the playoffs. List of schools was John's Hopkins, UNC, Cornell, Yale, Cuse (not sure he was interested but they certainly were), and Duke. Funny how he was only looking at high level teams loaded with talent and playoff potential. Never heard any rumors about Dartmouth or Brown.
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if he was on the radar of any of those schools out of HS (and vice versa)? I can see a situation where he didn't come into his own until college and thus used that to propel him to a National Championship contender. Having said that if those choices were already his out of HS then there is probably more to that picture than we are seeing.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

viper wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:11 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:58 am Seems naive to think that Gray leaving had absolutely nothing to do with him dropping triple digit points and not even sniffing the playoffs. List of schools was John's Hopkins, UNC, Cornell, Yale, Cuse (not sure he was interested but they certainly were), and Duke. Funny how he was only looking at high level teams loaded with talent and playoff potential. Never heard any rumors about Dartmouth or Brown.
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if he was on the radar of any of those schools out of HS (and vice versa)? I can see a situation where he didn't come into his own until college and thus used that to propel him to a National Championship contender. Having said that if those choices were already his out of HS then there is probably more to that picture than we are seeing.
https://laxweekly.com/chris-gray-2017/
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 am Wow. Don’t ever read SEC Football message boards.
Good advice. And to those who want to 'grow the game', be careful what you wish for. SEC football is what a race to the bottom looks like.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”