Pick the Winners pool option

D1 Womens Lacrosse
brandonv

Pick the Winners pool option

Post by brandonv »

This season I started running a D1 pool to pick the winners that has seen a good number of people join. Last week someone approached me to add a D3 as well. It made me think we are neglecting a group I enjoy watching in the Women's game. Is there an appetite among the people in this group to see a D1 Women's pool to pick the winner's each week? I would probably focus on the top 20 like we are doing with the D3 group. The volume of games in Women's D1 is so high. I think it is reasonable to do in the ballpark of 50 games a week but beyond that is a lot of work me but more importantly starts to become a chore to make the selections.

Let me know if people are interested and I will build one for next week and with a good response we will carry through to season's end. Let me know if the top 20 approach is what you think works best.
wlaxnut

Re: Pick the Winners pool option

Post by wlaxnut »

Which top 20? Are you referring to a particular poll i.e. Inside Lacrosse, US Lacrosse, Coaches poll? Would we have to pick each game that a top 20 team plays each week?
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Pick some games that will be good. I have played your men's version. It is fun and easy
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I'd do it
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:06 pm Which top 20? Are you referring to a particular poll i.e. Inside Lacrosse, US Lacrosse, Coaches poll? Would we have to pick each game that a top 20 team plays each week?

I am open to suggestions. I just need a place to start. I am not knowledgeable enough to pick 30 great games on my own. Even if I did, I need some sort of parameters to determine what games qualify as good. Probably no one is particularly interested in my subjective choices. If you think there is a specific poll that fits the bill best.

I was leaning towards just pulling it of IL because it makes it easy for me.https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/wdi/polls/2020
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Why not use the FanLax Forum Poll?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:20 am Why not use the FanLax Forum Poll?
You know Matnum, I was thinking of keeping it all in house but I wasn’t bold enough to suggest it. I think that’s a capital idea.
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

Perfect, that is exactly what I will use!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

It comes out every Tuesday AM (before noon).
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

brandonv wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:24 am

I'm in--but I'd like to know the details. How do we do it? I'm stupid--I need it spelled out.
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:23 am
brandonv wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:24 am

I'm in--but I'd like to know the details. How do we do it? I'm stupid--I need it spelled out.
Super easy. I will post a link, you click the link. It will ask you for a name and email. Then you go through and click the picture of your winning team until you get to the bottom and hit submit. Here is next week for men's D1 https://forms.gle/qCawf3Jw5uAVH6TE7 as an example (This week is closed so the link is closed as well).

At the end of it I get a report with everyone on it, I move it to a spreadsheet and post it here as well as mail it out to the mailing list. I will send out a week report with everyone's picks and score on it (I use first names and first initials of last only) and I send out a season standings.
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

Alright everyone. Let's see how this goes. Let me know what you think and what you would want improved. Share it so we can build a good following and get as many people involved as possible. Friday will be the start of this week.

Women's D1 Pick the Winners March 6-March12 - https://forms.gle/L6fnQPcDtgt428f37
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

brandonv wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 pm Alright everyone. Let's see how this goes. Let me know what you think and what you would want improved. Share it so we can build a good following and get as many people involved as possible. Friday will be the start of this week.

Women's D1 Pick the Winners March 6-March12 - https://forms.gle/L6fnQPcDtgt428f37
That was easy! Thanks for setting it up.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

brandonv wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 pm Alright everyone. Let's see how this goes. Let me know what you think and what you would want improved. Share it so we can build a good following and get as many people involved as possible. Friday will be the start of this week.

A suggestion for future pools: Could you possible denote the home team, or if the game will be played at a neutral site? That would be appreciated if you can make it happen.

Nice easy layout for picking each winning team in the pool. Professional user-friendly job Brandon!
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:40 am

A suggestion for future pools: Could you possible denote the home team, or if the game will be played at a neutral site? That would be appreciated if you can make it happen.

Nice easy layout for picking each winning team in the pool. Professional user-friendly job Brandon!
I will see what I can do about these things. I don't get a lot of text edit options in this format. But I will look at some options that look clean inside of the format. The biggest issue for this is finding an easy schedule with all the games that also lists where they are played. For this week I used the NCAA Website to find the games, makes it easy to open a day and start searches for each team in the top 20. Unfortunately it doesn't list game locations. I have used IL in the past but again, the listed games don't have a location. So the option I have thought of is a cross-reference back to a team from each game's schedule. If you have a better way that would be appreciated. While I really enjoy watching the women's game, I am not a fan filled with in depth knowledge.

One of the things I had considered was placing rankings beside teams, but what I want to try and do is create a situation where the most knowledgeable fans benefit from their time with the game. For example in the men's D1 pool, we get about 60 entrants a week. I toyed with adding rankings each week but then realized that would take some of the work out of it for people who didn't follow as closely. The more casual fan then has to either guess or invest a little more on their picks. That has been my rationale on keeping info to team names. I wonder if there is a similar benefit to not listing locations. I added dates in week 4 to D1 Men's so people knew when to watch the games, hopefully it would drive people to follow more closely.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Our dear friends on this website (FANLAX), have this page:

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/02/d1- ... ing-games/
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

brandonv wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:27 am
The biggest issue for this is finding an easy schedule with all the games that also lists where they are played.
If you have a better way that would be appreciated.

IL Women has a calendar page that will cover you there: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/wdi/calendar/2020

One of the things I had considered was placing rankings beside teams.

I think that's a great idea.
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

Right I have used that inside lacrosse before. But it does not indicate where games are played, makes it tough to determine things like neutral site games.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

brandonv wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:03 pm Right I have used that inside lacrosse before. But it does not indicate where games are played, makes it tough to determine things like neutral site games.
That’s true. In that case, no biggie. I can always go to a team’s website if I really want to research a matchup.
brandonv

Post by brandonv »

Week 1 closes tomorrow get your picks in - https://forms.gle/cCB2fE9MmVdc6gLi9

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”