FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Week 4 Poll

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:36 pm 1 - UNC — Rocky start vs Virginia but they finished strong.
2 - Notre Dame — Played solid defense and beat Duke.
3 -
4 - Syracuse — Beat Little Turtles 10-5. Another resilient win with distractions all around, most notably, their own turnovers and erratic play.
5 - Northwestern — Bounce back with a win over ranked Stanford. To what extent Scane is injured will tell the tale for the Wildcats the rest of the way.
6 - Florida — Toughed it out vs Stony Brook.
Nut, you know I usually agree with you, but I think the team you put in your #3 spot is a little too high....They are a nice team with a few good wins and they will be playing a bunch of cupcakes in their conference, but, there is no way they are ready to be top 3.... :cry:
Matnum PI

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Matnum PI »

That invisible team is Loyola.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:37 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:36 pm 1 - UNC — Rocky start vs Virginia but they finished strong.
3 -
4 - Syracuse — Beat Little Turtles 10-5. Another resilient win with distractions all around, most notably, their own turnovers and erratic play.
5 - Northwestern — Bounce back with a win over ranked Stanford. To what extent Scane is injured will tell the tale for the Wildcats the rest of the way.
Nut, you know I usually agree with you, but I think the team you put in your #3 spot is a little too high....They are a nice team with a few good wins and they will be playing a bunch of cupcakes in their conference, but, there is no way they are ready to be top 3.... :cry:
Doc -- appreciate trying to avoid the home cooking, but … but 'the team that shall not be named' is sitting at 2 in terms of RPI and 3 in SOS.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I think Loyola is playing great, really great. They could easily be #1 and, in time, I don't see why they won't be. Easily the best team in NCAA Women's Lacrosse. Great season for the greyhounds and, personally, I cannot imagine a scenario where anything changes this...
Caddy Day
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:37 pm
3 -
I've been waiting for Microsoft to come out with a sarcastica font...or a humble pie font....or a dont jinx the team font...or a dont set them up too high and cause another upset font.... :roll: :twisted: :shock:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm I think Loyola is playing great, really great. They could easily be #1 and, in time, I don't see why they won't be. Easily the best team in NCAA Women's Lacrosse. Great season for the greyhounds and, personally, I cannot imagine a scenario where anything changes this...
Doc, here's the jinxer. Looking at a serious schneid now. Better bring some Maker's Mark to the games.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I’m not sure the extent to which this has been discussed on here, but I’ve recently become intrigued by Quint Kessenich’s theory on the mlax side that mid-week or at least weekday games are more likely than weekend contests to result in upsets. His reasoning is that 1) student athletes tend to be distracted by schoolwork and non-lacrosse commitments midweek (sometimes they’re finishing tests or papers just a few hours before game time), 2) the mid-week games tend to be local games pitting an underdog against their in-state or local tormentor, which means that it’s often a game the higher ranked team is overlooking and one the lesser ranked team has circled on the schedule, and 3) teams often haven’t fully recovered from their games and travel the previous weekend. He probably has other reasons. His reasoning seems sound, and I recall some recent upsets in wlax have been weekday games, such as SBU over Cuse and UR over UVA. Do others have thoughts on this?
Dr. Tact

IWLCA Coaches poll W4

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Everybody got 'em in early so I'm posting 'em early.

FanLax’s D1 Women Forum Polls (Mar. 2, 2020)

Caddy Day
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

#1 - The FanLax Computer Rankings are currently based on 2 Best Wins and 3 Worst Losses. Which is fair for all teams involved except, arguably, the teams who only have 1 win at this point in the season due to their good Strength of Schedule. e.g. UMD. With this, Maryland is exactly where they should be. For heaven's sake, Terps, you don't get kudos for losing to good teams. Beat someone good!
#2 - Again, arguably, Maryland is better than where the Forum Poll has them. Once they demonstrate this, UMD will move up in the rankings and... So will Syracuse.
#3 - UMass at #22?! What's wrong with you people?! They have good Ws and... Dartmouth is good. That's not a bad loss, humans!
And no love for Vanderbilt?! I guess beating Denver isn't enough for you. You people are impossible...
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:37 pm I’m not sure the extent to which this has been discussed on here, but I’ve recently become intrigued by Quint Kessenich’s theory on the mlax side that mid-week or at least weekday games are more likely than weekend contests to result in upsets. His reasoning is that 1) student athletes tend to be distracted by schoolwork and non-lacrosse commitments midweek (sometimes they’re finishing tests or papers just a few hours before game time), 2) the mid-week games tend to be local games pitting an underdog against their in-state or local tormentor, which means that it’s often a game the higher ranked team is overlooking and one the lesser ranked team has circled on the schedule, and 3) teams often haven’t fully recovered from their games and travel the previous weekend. He probably has other reasons. His reasoning seems sound, and I recall some recent upsets in wlax have been weekday games, such as SBU over Cuse and UR over UVA. Do others have thoughts on this?
I agree. the one Wed. game I went to this year was Loyola hosting Towson...Underdog, In-state/local tormentor (check).....easily a very distracted game as Loyola won, but it was close.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:12 pm #1 - The FanLax Computer Rankings are currently based on 2 Best Wins and 3 Worst Losses. Which is fair for all teams involved except, arguably, the teams who only have 1 win at this point in the season due to their good Strength of Schedule. e.g. UMD. With this, Maryland is exactly where they should be. For heaven's sake, Terps, you don't get kudos for losing to good teams. Beat someone good!
#2 - Again, arguably, Maryland is better than where the Forum Poll has them. Once they demonstrate this, UMD will move up in the rankings and... So will Syracuse.
#3 - UMass at #22?! What's wrong with you people?! They have good Ws and... Dartmouth is good. That's not a bad loss, humans!
And no love for Vanderbilt?! I guess beating Denver isn't enough for you. You people are impossible...
Hey FanLax Computer, I accidentally had Old Dominion at number two. Should have been Notre Dame. Did you adjust that? And what do you think ODU's chances are of winning it all? :P
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Amended by me. FanLax Computer just eats whatever I put in his mouth.
Caddy Day
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 pmAnd what do you think ODU's chances are of winning it all? :P
The chances are astonishingly low. They're currently #94 of 118 teams and the highest ranked teams they play are currently ranked #14 and #20. Their only real hope would be making it into the National C'ship Tournament and then going undefeated through the Finals. Hope springs eternal. Just not for ODU.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:53 pm
Badlands wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:37 pm I’m not sure the extent to which this has been discussed on here, but I’ve recently become intrigued by Quint Kessenich’s theory on the mlax side that mid-week or at least weekday games are more likely than weekend contests to result in upsets. His reasoning is that 1) student athletes tend to be distracted by schoolwork and non-lacrosse commitments midweek (sometimes they’re finishing tests or papers just a few hours before game time), 2) the mid-week games tend to be local games pitting an underdog against their in-state or local tormentor, which means that it’s often a game the higher ranked team is overlooking and one the lesser ranked team has circled on the schedule, and 3) teams often haven’t fully recovered from their games and travel the previous weekend. He probably has other reasons. His reasoning seems sound, and I recall some recent upsets in wlax have been weekday games, such as SBU over Cuse and UR over UVA. Do others have thoughts on this?
I agree. the one Wed. game I went to this year was Loyola hosting Towson...Underdog, In-state/local tormentor (check).....easily a very distracted game as Loyola won, but it was close.
I agree too; it is just a recipe for catching the favorite just a little under the level of intesity necessary to win in the age of relative parity. As an example, Loyola should have beaten Towson by 10 -- the way they whooped Florida.
laxorangebookworm

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 pm Amended by me. FanLax Computer just eats whatever I put in his mouth.
Oh ok. I thought Fan Lax Computer was running the show. It sounded like it was the other day.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Also, more upsets on Weekdays because more potential upsets on Weekdays. When the weekend games are primarily evenly matched teams, by definition, there's going to be fewer weekend upsets.
laxorangebookworm wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:40 pm Oh ok. I thought Fan Lax Computer was running the show. It sounded like it was the other day.
FanLax Computer is made of plastic and metal. Despite his antagonism towards all things made of flesh and blood, he wouldn't exist without us.
Caddy Day
laxorangebookworm

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:41 pm Also, more upsets on Weekdays because more potential upsets on Weekdays. When the weekend games are primarily evenly matched teams, by definition, there's going to be fewer weekend upsets.
laxorangebookworm wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:40 pm Oh ok. I thought Fan Lax Computer was running the show. It sounded like it was the other day.
FanLax Computer is made of plastic and metal. Despite his antagonism towards all things made of flesh and blood, he wouldn't exist without us.
You know, that's what they said about Joshua, aka WOPR. Women's lacrosse is a game, but what if Fan Lax Computer decides to broaden his horizon to start playing Global Thermonuclear War? Cuz I'm just sayin', that wouldn't be pretty... :shock:
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:37 pm Nut, you know I usually agree with you, but I think the team you put in your #3 spot is a little too high....They are a nice team with a few good wins and they will be playing a bunch of cupcakes in their conference, but, there is no way they are ready to be top 3.... :cry:
I’m sure by now you’re aware that Inside Lacrosse and US Lacrosse has The Unmentionables at 3 as well. Along with the Lax Fan Computer. So Doc, tell your story walking 😉
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

No one needs to explain Loyola or SU at #3. LaxDad23 needs to explain USC at #3! And, while we're talking, seacoaster's N'western at #4. One more thing, I think people are low-balling FL.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”