Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm I assume Giacalone will start against Syracuse.
I wouldn't count on it. This is the same staff that started a goalie in an NCAA tournament game who had been 16% in his previous three games. Even today a change wasn't made until it was far too late. Since he was decent in the first few games before today, my guess is he gets more than one bad outing before he's permanently replaced. I think that would be a rather large mistake and perhaps presage the end of the Pietramala regime, but at least he'd go down on his own terms: loyal to his guy until the catastrophic end.
Sad but true.
Giacalone should have been the starter after the first Maryland game last year. The fact the Petro has stuck with his goalie this long borders on insanity.
If G does start against Cuse the Jays have a chance. At least the game will be competitive.
Otherwise, it won't be worth watching. 22% save percentage. Rome is Burning. C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:45 pm After the Cuse game, Hop has 3 winnable non-con games and then starts the B1G season against the 2 worst B1G teams. It's likely you all will be 6-4 (2-0) heading into the PSU game. Things will look very different by then. Now, that is unless the team implodes and loses to one of MTSM, Navy, or UD.

Definitely losing to UD
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Jhu99 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am
Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:45 pm After the Cuse game, Hop has 3 winnable non-con games and then starts the B1G season against the 2 worst B1G teams. It's likely you all will be 6-4 (2-0) heading into the PSU game. Things will look very different by then. Now, that is unless the team implodes and loses to one of MTSM, Navy, or UD.

Definitely losing to UD
ohhh, I do think UD has a good shot, but their losses yesterday and on the 18th certainly don't suggest that they have it all together either.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:13 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm I assume Giacalone will start against Syracuse.
I wouldn't count on it. This is the same staff that started a goalie in an NCAA tournament game who had been 16% in his previous three games. Even today a change wasn't made until it was far too late. Since he was decent in the first few games before today, my guess is he gets more than one bad outing before he's permanently replaced. I think that would be a rather large mistake and perhaps presage the end of the Pietramala regime, but at least he'd go down on his own terms: loyal to his guy until the catastrophic end.
Sad but true.
Giacalone should have been the starter after the first Maryland game last year. The fact the Petro has stuck with his goalie this long borders on insanity.
If G does start against Cuse the Jays have a chance. At least the game will be competitive.
Otherwise, it won't be worth watching. 22% save percentage. Rome is Burning. C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goalies have up days and down days; what is more disturbing for Darby is the trend line.

Towson 61%
Loyola 52%
UNC 45%
PU 22%

Clearing is a consistent problem.

What is happening in practice?

Based on game day performances, Giacalone deserves a shot.
And game day matters the most.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Sad but true.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Darby is starting next week. Maybe Hop16 said it but DP will look at it as a one off situation. He’ll look at it as not wanting to kill Darby’s confidence.

Of course, the players are at practice. They can see which goalie is playing well and which one isn’t. If Giaclone is playing better (we have no idea) in practice and Darby plays, how does a field player have any confidence in anything a coach says or does if he can’t make a basic evaluation on a goalie. It must be disheartening and destroy any sense of confidence in the thought you can win. Surely, Larry Quinn has some input on this issue.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Has anyone heard from DeSimone or Williams? A friend said they saw them on Milk Cartons.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

steel_hop wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:41 am
Sad but true.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Darby is starting next week. Maybe Hop16 said it but DP will look at it as a one off situation. He’ll look at it as not wanting to kill Darby’s confidence.

Of course, the players are at practice. They can see which goalie is playing well and which one isn’t. If Giaclone is playing better (we have no idea) in practice and Darby plays, how does a field player have any confidence in anything a coach says or does if he can’t make a basic evaluation on a goalie. It must be disheartening and destroy any sense of confidence in the thought you can win. Surely, Larry Quinn has some input on this issue.

Without a healthy Epstein and without Patrick Foley (!!!!!!!!!!!#$????!!!!) it's doubtful this team can recover from a 1-4 start no matter who starts in goal, although a goalie change is essential and long overdue. At this point it might be too little too late. I think Epstein should basically rest and rehab for a month and try to come back for the BIG schedule. The only hope now would be to win the BIG tournament as unlikely as that sounds with a reloaded/reinforced MD team and Penn State looming. I don't recall a season going so bad so quickly. Where is the accountability? When the Coach stops giving press conferences you know the accountability talk was all just BS.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I have been following this team for many years and been to many home games. While it is sad to watch, this has been inevitable. The days of a smaller talent pool and Hopkins pipeline to that pool are over, just like they are with Cuse to some extent. In addition, I think the complicated nature of the defense is keeping Petro from getting some of the high end defensive recruits. I also think he goes for lacrosse skills over athletics, one of which you can teach.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:01 am Has anyone heard from DeSimone or Williams? A friend said they saw them on Milk Cartons.
A single assist each against Princeton.

Upperclassmen need to step up. Sophomores like Epstein (even injured), Zinn, and Degnon already have.

Giacalone deserves a shot at starting in goal. Couldn’t care less what Petro sees in practice.

I’m sure Darby is a fine young man, but over two different seasons he has shown what he is: a sub-0.500 save percentage division I goalie with a losing record. He will occasionally help the team win, but most of the time you just hope he doesn’t lose the game for you. That’s no knock on Darby ... that’s just what he has proven himself to be as a player. That’s not the type of goalie who will get you back to the Final Four.

Give Giacalone a shot. If he doesn’t work out, keep moving down the line (Tim Marcille?). No need to come back to Darby, who is obviously not the answer.

If we see Darby start against Syracuse, then we’re witnessing a head coach who is too stubbornly rigid for today’s game.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

It’s remarkable how “consistent” Darby has been:

13.04 GAA
0.448 save %

2020 (to date)
13.26 GAA
0.455 save %

Darby is not in a slump. Darby did not have a one-off bad game. Darby is what he is and is what he has been and is what he will be. He just is.

Time to give Giacalone his shot.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm If only everyone on the Hopkins team were as competitive as Joey Epstein. Did everyone see how Epstein grabbed the shirt of a Princeton defender as he was coming to the sideline and basically shoved him aside like some unwanted dog? :shock:
DocBarrister:|
who would shove aside an unwanted dog, or even think to make up such a metaphor?
you, sir, are a sicko!!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:45 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm If only everyone on the Hopkins team were as competitive as Joey Epstein. Did everyone see how Epstein grabbed the shirt of a Princeton defender as he was coming to the sideline and basically shoved him aside like some unwanted dog? :shock:
who would shove aside an unwanted dog, or even think to make up such a metaphor?
you, sir, are a sicko!!
Ok, ok. :roll:

Shoved him aside like some unwanted cat.

Satisfied?!? :?

DocBarrister (shoving unwanted cats) ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:45 pm
you, sir, are a sicko!!
Simile fam
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

thanks. thought that could be the case but wasn't looking it up.
i'll now promptly forget the discrepancy as i did back then.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hopkins has fallen so far, the argument is now similes and metaphors.

No one will ever want to go to school there now.
viper

Post by viper »

:
:
2016 lather, rinse, repeat
2017 lather, rinse, repeaT
2018 lather, rinse, repeAT
2019 lather, rinse, repEAT
2020 lather.......

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:10 pm Preview of coming attractions
"don't criticize the players they're just kids, this will discourage future recruits and you're an internet troll"
-They get money to go to the school, aren't subject to academic admission standards, benefit in recruiting if their parents went there-not available to regular kids anymore, and chose to come to hopkins knowing the scrutiny and benefits of playing here.
"How do we endure the rest of the season"
-WOMBAT gifs, taking a shot of something responsible every time a change in defensive strategy is urged, and therapy.
"we still have a chance"
-yes because michigan and rutgers couldn't make an auto bid conference tourney, maryland is a more beatable program for us than loyola, and you never know with ohio state and penn state 2 schools where most kids don't even realize they have a lax program.
"you're mean to x player who is playing hurt"
-then he shouldn't play
"who should"
-I'm not paid to make that call
"Hopkins should go to d3"
-the players, coaches and administrators should be demoted, not the program itself. academics and past success aren't a reason to go d3.
"in the offseason we were promised accountability and changes, where are they"
-the same ones promised after 2009,2010,2012,2013,2016, and hah you must be new here.
"why is X still playing after years of suck?"
-because these players spend years in the program first as recruits, then as players and the coaches know them as people and relationships>winning.
"should x be the next coach?"
-what past qualifications/credentials do the administrators have making that call show they're the ones who know what they're doing?
"Hopkins fans are unreasonable, this isn't 2005 or 1995 or 1965 anymore, there are more talented kids and more programs with resources"
-tell that to nick saban and every coach chasing him.
"what happens to future recruits"
-xanders addressed this, they fell in love w/the school not just the coach and the current roster is littered with the career carcasses of kids just like them that didn't live up to the hype. I don't want top 100 recruits anymore I want 1st team college all americans.
"does daniels care about raising money, woke politics, and 234342342342 other issues more than lacrosse"
-absolutely. If it was up to him+woke higher ed today I doubt there'd be a program tbh. Look at their agenda+look the socio economic makeup of the game/its fans.
"who is the current ad?"
-probably a lovely woman who supports the Presidents woke agenda, has no record of making these kinds of hires, loves talking about the summer research exploits of womens xc team members, is great w/donors and would be perfectly content w just making an ncaa tournament every few years.
"you're an internet troll"
-if your kid could play and gave sustained effort I'd be the first to praise him
"Kids/coaches don't want to come to hopkins. The fans are mean, the city is violent, the grades are tough, the women are ugly"
-how many yale coeds have you seen in the swimsuit issue or people that have said new haven is beautiful in february?
"why is hopkins still on espn"
-why is the nfc east on mnf/snf/late sunday game slots. because history/personality/tradition>flavor of the week.

How does one list 20 upcoming complaints and/or thoughts on the state of Johns Hopkins lacrosse and not once spell out the name Dave Peitremala?
Perhaps they didn't want to misspell it PB... :roll: :lol:

Touche.

But now that the correct spelling of a very hard to spell last name coach has been identified, what says the board here?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 am
nyjay wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:22 pm Going back to a prior post - when was the last time this team was fun to watch? My wife - also a JHU grad (one of the cute ones, I swear) - told me to turn off the game to today. She said she wasn't going to watch again until DP wasn't the the head coach. She doesn't read this message board, and she wouldn't tolerate me talking about it. So, turd's gotten real.
Hey, can you get her to call up the Athletic Director and voice her concerns? I'm serious. Or even have her send an email to the AD.
One woman to another. Could have an impact, no?

Hey, I know some former players, good ones, who absolutely despise this coach. This is something I can post because I have direct first hand knowledge of it.

Yup
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:28 pm Hopkins has fallen so far, the argument is now similes and metaphors.

No one will ever want to go to school there now.

HAHAHAHAH. SO TRUE !!
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Another beating. Epstein continues to play hurt, risking his body for a coach that has let the ship out to sea years ago. It is long past DP's time, the only question should be who is the next Hopkins coach?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”