Cooter

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

Terps 14-9 final
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

That's the game we've been waiting to see. They were awesome today. Offense dropped 14 on a defense that had given up nothing this year, and it should have been more, they hit 4 pipes, ND's goalie is a cyborg, and they missed some gimmies. Created so many good looks today. Defense was tremendous, never gave Notre Dame anything easy, played good late in the shot clock. ND only 23% offensive efficiency today. I'll take that any day. Shockey's turning into an elite FOGO, and I don't know what led to McNaney playing but he did a strong job. Wish it could have been a bigger blowout, and should have been, but I'll take a 5 goal win over a Top 5 team every week. Great W.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great game in every aspect except......shooting. With 60+ shots and a ton of missed bunnies, that could have been a 20 goal game.

Excellent face-offs (this can't be appreciated enough), great passing and overall possession domination. Just got to shoot a little better.

Defense was night and day better than previous games. It looked like Geppert switched positions with Rahill, but not sure. Coffman is turning into a real pest on defense and super-fast weapon in transition. Makar looks like he's growing into the next great Maryland defender, and a one man clear too. If McNaney was being rewarded for great practices, it sure showed. He was excellent.

Also, not sure how Costabile wasn't given an unsportsmanlike for taunting Smith standing right over him. That was BS, but otherwise a clean game.
grelch

Post by grelch »

McNaney's a little dude but he was fantastic in high school. He's a gutsy player. I hope he can go from strength to strength.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Changes I noticed
McNaney In goal. ND was probably looking for Brandau
Rahill at close defense
Geppert at LSM
Long playing wings at FO with another SSDM. Several times they did not put out a LSM at FO.
Bubba and Maltz trading in and out at attack
Wisnauskas keep scoring even though they kept beating him

SVP after the game
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I thought winning the face-off battle was the key today. Shockey was outstanding. The Terps seemed to have the ball on their offensive end of the field 2/3 of the game. I don't know what it was with the Terps shooting, a lot of shots not on goal, but the Terps backed them up well.

McNaney looked good in his first outing, seemed pretty consistent.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 pm I thought winning the face-off battle was the key today. Shockey was outstanding. The Terps seemed to have the ball on their offensive end of the field 2/3 of the game. I don't know what it was with the Terps shooting, a lot of shots not on goal, but the Terps backed them up well.

McNaney looked good in his first outing, seemed pretty consistent.
There was some awry shooting early, but later on it basically seemed to be a combo of ND's goalie being just incredible, he made a couple crazy saves plus seemed to get just a bit of some other good shots, hitting like 5 pipes, and then I think just gripping the sticks too much in tight bc of that; Maltz had a wide open lay-up and shot it wide. Seemed like he got in their heads a bit. But this is a great shooting team, that won't be a problem again
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Was McNaney in goal a surprise ?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cno3putts wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:38 am Was McNaney in goal a surprise ?
For this Maryland fan yes. I had thought that if Tills switched he would give Morris the go. Freshman goalie’s at Maryland usually get a red-shirt their freshman year.

Switching gave Maryland a slight advantage in that there is no film on him. Maryland also switched Rahill to close from LSM. Geppert went to LSM. I believe Geppert came in as a offensive middie. That big leap.

Has anyone heard anything on Welding?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 am
For this Maryland fan yes. I had thought that if Tills switched he would give Morris the go. Freshman goalie’s at Maryland usually get a red-shirt their freshman year.

Switching gave Maryland a slight advantage in that there is no film on him. Maryland also switched Rahill to close from LSM. Geppert went to LSM. I believe Geppert came in as a offensive middie. That big leap.

Geppert played offense with Joey Epstein at Landon. Probably first time he’s ever had a pole in his hand. Gotta get your athletes on the field where you can.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:13 am
AreaLax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 am

Geppert played offense with Joey Epstein at Landon. Probably first time he’s ever had a pole in his hand. Gotta get your athletes on the field where you can.
Kuhn at JHU was an offensive player in High School. Moving players to get athletes on the field is a good thin. Joel White at Syracuse was another example. Best LSM I have ever seen.
“I wish you would!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The team shaved their heads and raised $48,000 that will be donated to support patients at @BostonChildrens

https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/12 ... 16131?s=21

Next up is Albany who plays UMASS today
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Tills talked a lot about the goalie change today. Expect to see several articles out soon on the rationale behind the change.

Tills expected McNaney to redshirt, that Brandau had a slight lead coming out of the fall, that the change had more to do with McNaney practicing so well, and it wasn't about Brandau playing poorly. Talked a lot about McNaney's ability to forget about the last goal.

Will be interesting going forward to see how much Brandau and McNaney switch off if at all. If the defense plays the way it did against ND, that might be the most important thing.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Mcnaney BT frosh of the week. Congrats
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:15 pm Tills talked a lot about the goalie change today. Expect to see several articles out soon on the rationale behind the change.

Tills expected McNaney to redshirt, that Brandau had a slight lead coming out of the fall, that the change had more to do with McNaney practicing so well, and it wasn't about Brandau playing poorly. Talked a lot about McNaney's ability to forget about the last goal.

Will be interesting going forward to see how much Brandau and McNaney switch off if at all. If the defense plays the way it did against ND, that might be the most important thing.
Any word on Welding?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:16 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:15 pm Tills talked a lot about the goalie change today. Expect to see several articles out soon on the rationale behind the change.

Any word on Welding?
Nope. Still out.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BTN will air the MD vs ND from this past weekend game this morning at 9 and I think it re-airs on March 10th
molo

Post by molo »

Portal yet?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”