Post by Chuckman »

Sums up the season so far.
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by jhu06 »

Laxrat

Post by Laxrat »

Well Cuse doesn’t have a Sowers type player. Maybe with a new goalie starting (hopefully), everyone else wakes up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:06 pm We have a starting defender that was mediocre in the MIAA B conference.
This is a bit of a cheap shot. In fact, McManus didn't even do a bad job on Sowers. The kid is averaging 10.5 pts per game this year. I was frankly surprised by McManus' ability to match feet with Sowers one-on-one, but off-ball D and goaltending were horrendous.

If Giacalone started that game the result might have been a little different. This is what I was talking about when I said Petro needed to be brought up on war crimes after the Villanova scrimmage if he wasn't the starter when the season began. Petro waited way too long to make the switch today and it cost us. The switch really should have been made like 19 games ago but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Every time it's a night and day difference. Practically everyone within earshot in the stands today was begging Petro to put Giacalone in after Princeton's 10th goal or so.

Not the reason we lost, but having been at the game, just wanted to point out how truly awful this group of refs was. Complete amateur hour. The mustached guy has no idea what he's doing.

I don't get why picking up the ball is so hard for this team. Seems like we lose 4 or 5 possessions per game just because we can't finish a GB. I'm not even talking about the 50-50 ones that can go either way. I'm talking about literally just picking the ball up off the ground.

Someone called out Hawley the other day for some reason—he had a nice day off the wings. Seems to be the only guy capable of emerging from traffic with the ball in his stick, which I assume is why they put him there. 90% of those tough scrums, the ball ends up in the other team's stick.

I've defended Benson recently but I have no answers for this one...it was clear that the "have DeSimone dodge against a shortie" strategy was not going to work after the third or fourth time it yielded no results and yet that seems to be the entire offense for much of the game. Meanwhile Angelus touches the ball once and makes the best pass of the day. With Epstein immobile, the offense needs to run through Zinn, Murphy, and Angelus.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:28 pm Just for perspective. In the last three games Hopkins defense has given up 5 goals in four quarters, 4 goals 3 times, 3 goals 3 times and 2 goals 2 times. But keep running out that same man town defense that gets repeatedly kicked in the head by bad slides, poor defense and mind numbing dumb decisions.

As the saying goes, all things end badly or they wouldnt end. And Petros time is ending.
I’m not giving up on this season. The B1G isn’t looking all that formidable. The AQ is there for the taking.

I say reset with Giacalone starting in goal. Keep giving Epstein those reps, because he is clearly improving every week. Give Murphy more playing time (he’s earned it). Continue the promising development of Zinn and Degnon.

Start next week like it’s the season opener and take the season one game at a time.

DocBarrister 8-)
Against Syracuse? That’s a good game to reset :D
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:32 pm
Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:06 pm We have a starting defender that was mediocre in the MIAA B conference.
This is a bit of a cheap shot. In fact, McManus didn't even do a bad job on Sowers. The kid is averaging 10.5 pts per game this year. I was frankly surprised by McManus' ability to match feet with Sowers one-on-one, but off-ball D and goaltending were horrendous.

If Giacalone started that game the result might have been a little different. This is what I was talking about when I said Petro needed to be brought up on war crimes after the Villanova scrimmage if he wasn't the starter when the season began. Petro waited way too long to make the switch today and it cost us. The switch really should have been made like 19 games ago but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Every time it's a night and day difference. Practically everyone within earshot in the stands today was begging Petro to put Giacalone in after Princeton's 10th goal or so.

Not the reason we lost, but having been at the game, just wanted to point out how truly awful this group of refs was. Complete amateur hour. The mustached guy has no idea what he's doing.

I don't get why picking up the ball is so hard for this team. Seems like we lose 4 or 5 possessions per game just because we can't finish a GB. I'm not even talking about the 50-50 ones that can go either way. I'm talking about literally just picking the ball up off the ground.

Someone called out Hawley the other day for some reason—he had a nice day off the wings. Seems to be the only guy capable of emerging from traffic with the ball in his stick, which I assume is why they put him there. 90% of those tough scrums, the ball ends up in the other team's stick.

I've defended Benson recently but I have no answers for this one...it was clear that the "have DeSimone dodge against a shortie" strategy was not going to work after the third or fourth time it yielded no results and yet that seems to be the entire offense for much of the game. Meanwhile Angelus touches the ball once and makes the best pass of the day. With Epstein immobile, the offense needs to run through Zinn, Murphy, and Angelus.
The refs were awful. Just awful. And you are right about that short stick on the wings. He made a bunch of gritty plays.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Has the shot clock era put a end to DP era?
Laxrat

Post by Laxrat »

Turnandrake wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:45 pm Has the shot clock era put a end to DP era?
Probably, but so did the Maryland stall-ball era.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:17 pm
Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:08 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:58 pm So it’s clear Epstein can shoot the ball effectively however he can’t dodge and beat his man. I seriously wonder why he’s in the game when he’s not 100%.
Because the replacement that comes in for him is non-existent in the game. You might as well play with 2 attackmen
But we are losing anyway. I’m worried about his long term health. Why push it now.
And really, there's no 4th attack man on the roster???...my guess is several guys could step up if unleashed.
But I don't really know that to be true, just that it makes little sense that there's not talent in reserve.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:25 pm
laxjuris wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:21 pm As an outside observer, it’s astonishing to see Hopkins a shell of its former self. They seem to be bringing in talented kids, but obviously something isn’t working. Barring an unforeseen turnaround, it would seem there’s no chance Petro is back next year. Has the game really passed him by?
It’s clearly passed his defense. Petro needed a real defensive coordinator, like, ten years ago.

DocBarrister :|
And the offense and the transition game. (what transition game?)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Someone is bound to show up and say 11 is an improvement.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:08 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:58 pm So it’s clear Epstein can shoot the ball effectively however he can’t dodge and beat his man. I seriously wonder why he’s in the game when he’s not 100%.
Because the replacement that comes in for him is non-existent in the game. You might as well play with 2 attackmen
once the game was out of reach, like [actually before] Darby was pulled, Epstein should have sat as well. Bad knees don't get better by running on them. They ONLY heal with rest. The faster he fully heals, the better chance we have to win at least one more game this year.

(He definitely starts, IMO, but he gets an early hook particularly when there is almost no chance to come back.)
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Turnandrake wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:45 pm Has the shot clock era put a end to DP era?
Is that a serious question?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:10 pm Preview of coming attractions
"don't criticize the players they're just kids, this will discourage future recruits and you're an internet troll"
-They get money to go to the school, aren't subject to academic admission standards, benefit in recruiting if their parents went there-not available to regular kids anymore, and chose to come to hopkins knowing the scrutiny and benefits of playing here.
"How do we endure the rest of the season"
-WOMBAT gifs, taking a shot of something responsible every time a change in defensive strategy is urged, and therapy.
"we still have a chance"
-yes because michigan and rutgers couldn't make an auto bid conference tourney, maryland is a more beatable program for us than loyola, and you never know with ohio state and penn state 2 schools where most kids don't even realize they have a lax program.
"you're mean to x player who is playing hurt"
-then he shouldn't play
"who should"
-I'm not paid to make that call
"Hopkins should go to d3"
-the players, coaches and administrators should be demoted, not the program itself. academics and past success aren't a reason to go d3.
"in the offseason we were promised accountability and changes, where are they"
-the same ones promised after 2009,2010,2012,2013,2016, and hah you must be new here.
"why is X still playing after years of suck?"
-because these players spend years in the program first as recruits, then as players and the coaches know them as people and relationships>winning.
"should x be the next coach?"
-what past qualifications/credentials do the administrators have making that call show they're the ones who know what they're doing?
"Hopkins fans are unreasonable, this isn't 2005 or 1995 or 1965 anymore, there are more talented kids and more programs with resources"
-tell that to nick saban and every coach chasing him.
"what happens to future recruits"
-xanders addressed this, they fell in love w/the school not just the coach and the current roster is littered with the career carcasses of kids just like them that didn't live up to the hype. I don't want top 100 recruits anymore I want 1st team college all americans.
"does daniels care about raising money, woke politics, and 234342342342 other issues more than lacrosse"
-absolutely. If it was up to him+woke higher ed today I doubt there'd be a program tbh. Look at their agenda+look the socio economic makeup of the game/its fans.
"who is the current ad?"
-probably a lovely woman who supports the Presidents woke agenda, has no record of making these kinds of hires, loves talking about the summer research exploits of womens xc team members, is great w/donors and would be perfectly content w just making an ncaa tournament every few years.
"you're an internet troll"
-if your kid could play and gave sustained effort I'd be the first to praise him
"Kids/coaches don't want to come to hopkins. The fans are mean, the city is violent, the grades are tough, the women are ugly"
-how many yale coeds have you seen in the swimsuit issue or people that have said new haven is beautiful in february?
"why is hopkins still on espn"
-why is the nfc east on mnf/snf/late sunday game slots. because history/personality/tradition>flavor of the week.

How does one list 20 upcoming complaints and/or thoughts on the state of Johns Hopkins lacrosse and not once spell out the name Dave Peitremala?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 pm
"don't criticize the players they're just kids, this will discourage future recruits and you're an internet troll"
-They get money to go to the school, aren't subject to academic admission standards, benefit in recruiting if their parents went there-not available to regular kids anymore, and chose to come to hopkins knowing the scrutiny and benefits of playing here.
-WOMBAT gifs, taking a shot of something responsible every time a change in defensive strategy is urged, and therapy.
"we still have a chance"
-yes because michigan and rutgers couldn't make an auto bid conference tourney, maryland is a more beatable program for us than loyola, and you never know with ohio state and penn state 2 schools where most kids don't even realize they have a lax program.
-then he shouldn't play
"who should"
-the players, coaches and administrators should be demoted, not the program itself. academics and past success aren't a reason to go d3.
-the same ones promised after 2009,2010,2012,2013,2016, and hah you must be new here.
-because these players spend years in the program first as recruits, then as players and the coaches know them as people and relationships>winning.
-what past qualifications/credentials do the administrators have making that call show they're the ones who know what they're doing?
"Hopkins fans are unreasonable, this isn't 2005 or 1995 or 1965 anymore, there are more talented kids and more programs with resources"
-xanders addressed this, they fell in love w/the school not just the coach and the current roster is littered with the career carcasses of kids just like them that didn't live up to the hype. I don't want top 100 recruits anymore I want 1st team college all americans.
"does daniels care about raising money, woke politics, and 234342342342 other issues more than lacrosse"
-absolutely. If it was up to him+woke higher ed today I doubt there'd be a program tbh. Look at their agenda+look the socio economic makeup of the game/its fans.
"who is the current ad?"
-probably a lovely woman who supports the Presidents woke agenda, has no record of making these kinds of hires, loves talking about the summer research exploits of womens xc team members, is great w/donors and would be perfectly content w just making an ncaa tournament every few years.
-if your kid could play and gave sustained effort I'd be the first to praise him
"Kids/coaches don't want to come to hopkins. The fans are mean, the city is violent, the grades are tough, the women are ugly"
-how many yale coeds have you seen in the swimsuit issue or people that have said new haven is beautiful in february?
-why is the nfc east on mnf/snf/late sunday game slots. because history/personality/tradition>flavor of the week.

How does one list 20 upcoming complaints and/or thoughts on the state of Johns Hopkins lacrosse and not once spell out the name Dave Peitremala?
Perhaps they didn't want to misspell it PB... :roll: :lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 pm
"we still have a chance"
-then he shouldn't play
"who should"
"who is the current ad?"

And how does someone call out someone for listing 20 upcoming complaints, and then doesn’t spell Coach’s name correctly?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Fudge. MDl beat me to it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 pm Fudge. MDl beat me to it.
:D
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Chuckman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Sums up the season so far.
Team bus on I-95 South.

notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Princeton looked much more athletic, quick, and faster to the ball than Hopkins. The goalie was not the difference. One team was playing at one speed and the other was ...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”