TV & Streaming 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10 10 2

Re: TV & Streaming 2020

Post by 10 10 2 »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:27 pm Thanks to this season’s men’s lacrosse TV and streaming technology, I have enjoyed watching a lot of lacrosse games in 2020 and it is only February. Quick question - Why do our announcers only use ONE metaphoric analogy to describe when a goalie is playing great - “He’s STANDING ON HIS HEAD!” I have taken notes, lax brothers, and no other metaphor is ever used. I hear it over and over and over and have been for years. Even when I attend a lacrosse game, in the stands I will hear some old fart tell us that the goalie is ... wait for it ... “STANDING ON HIS HEAD!”

Excuse my pettiness, but it is a stupid analogy. Perhaps we could start a movement to encourage our announcers and fans to mix it up a bit and use other metaphors that would reduce my eye rolls and be less distracting. Thank you for your time. Back to the streams of games!
Do you have any suggestions?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:27 pm Thanks to this season’s men’s lacrosse TV and streaming technology... “STANDING ON HIS HEAD!”
The games should be commentated by FanLax Forum Post-ers in a discussion-based format, like the forum itself.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:29 pm
SpinalTap14 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:27 pm Thanks to this season’s men’s lacrosse TV and streaming technology... “STANDING ON HIS HEAD!”
The games should be commentated by FanLax Forum Post-ers in a discussion-based format, like the forum itself.
You’re an idiot! No, YOU’RE an idiot!

Actually, I would love to hear just one mic near the substitution box, and just listen to the sound of an entire game - no talking heads.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 am Actually, I would love to hear just one mic near the substitution box, and just listen to the sound of an entire game - no talking heads.
THIS ^^^

Put the mic on the scorer's table, you get all the info you need for the game
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HooDat wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:38 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 am Actually, I would love to hear just one mic near the substitution box, and just listen to the sound of an entire game - no talking heads.
THIS ^^^

Put the mic on the scorer's table, you get all the info you need for the game
Would significantly cut back on production costs too!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:27 pm Thanks to this season’s men’s lacrosse TV and streaming technology, I have enjoyed watching a lot of lacrosse games in 2020 and it is only February. Quick question - Why do our announcers only use ONE metaphoric analogy to describe when a goalie is playing great - “He’s STANDING ON HIS HEAD!” I have taken notes, lax brothers, and no other metaphor is ever used. I hear it over and over and over and have been for years. Even when I attend a lacrosse game, in the stands I will hear some old fart tell us that the goalie is ... wait for it ... “STANDING ON HIS HEAD!”

Excuse my pettiness, but it is a stupid analogy. Perhaps we could start a movement to encourage our announcers and fans to mix it up a bit and use other metaphors that would reduce my eye rolls and be less distracting. Thank you for your time. Back to the streams of games!
I love this exercise! Your inquiry has stirred something in my own soul. What are this phrase's origins, its etymology, and what does it really mean.. According to Pennlive.com, "Standing on his head" finds its origin in hockey:

Stand On His Head
"This phrase is a favorite among hockey commentators and analysts. It describes a succession of saves by a goaltender, usually on rebound shots, often when the netminder stacks the pads and appears to be nearly positioned on his head. In the early years of the NHL, goalies were prohibited from falling to the ice to block a shot. It was in 1918 when NHL President Frank Calder changed the rules, allowing goalies to drop to the ice. In describing the rule change Calder said, "They could stand on their head, if they want to.""

This origin story is interesting, but it presents a reading that is far too literal for me. I've always heard the phrase as a wedding of both the concrete and figurative. To me, "standing on his head" suggest an impossibility, an upside down world, as one uses their legs to stand, not the head. It suggests an impossibility. This sense of the impossible speaks to the miraculous, extraordinary, and superhuman achievement witnessed when a goaltender is able to perform at the highest level. One could also consider this phrase to be creating a Dickinsonian sort of trinity between head, brain(soul/mind), and body. It suggest that his legs have a mind of their own, that the mind/brain is rooted in the soles of the feet, and one stands (stand up to/ stands at attention) with an intent that begins with belief and virtue, not physical stature or ability.

It's akin to the phrase "thinking on one's feet", which is essentially an inversion of "standing on one's head", but also complimentary in nature. If the goalie was "sitting on his head", it would be a suffocating of talent similar to a "resting on laurels".

I think only Beninatti and Booker are capable of bringing something fresh to the table in this regard. But I love the challenge, lax brother :lol:
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

You guys really need to tune in to Hobart @ Syracuse.
Very intense
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ I can attest to that - watching on freestreams.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:47 pm ^ I can attest to that - watching on freestreams.
Same here. What bugs me is that ACCN used to be included in my sports package with TWC/Spectrum and could be streamed for free (legally) on the Watch ESPN app. Those thieves will never get another cent from me, especially when it is very easy to find unofficial streams on the Internet nowadays and watch on TV using an HDMI cable connected to your PC.
socalref

Post by socalref »

Disappointed with the Big East channel coverage. Watching St John's at Michigan and it's a pay to watch event. No audio (just muted from the stands), not score or clock on the screen. High School game coverage is better.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Too many games behind the paywall. I wish there was an aggregator that would provided access to lacrosse games only. You pay for access to the BTN or ACCN only to find another pay gate to watch what was once part of the package. Free streams are often a petri dish of viral infections, spyware, loggers and lurkers that I don't want on my rig. I could care less about ability to view tennis, volleyball, softball, baseball, etc within these conferences. I wonder how many viewers opted just to watch UMASS v Yale instead of the premium channels
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

UNC-Denver will be a free on Big East YouTube channel. Hope it is better then said about Big East above.

https://youtu.be/gProRSJC38c
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

JohnnyOTGPowder: Thank you for the informative history of the extremely overused “He is standing on his head” comment by the throngs of people describing the stellar play of a goalie. At least now, while watching a game announced by commentators with limited vocabulary and dim-witted imaginations, I can have more respect for this tired, weary and redundant analogous relationship.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

spartanslynx wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 am UNC-Denver will be a free on Big East YouTube channel. Hope it is better then said about Big East above.

https://youtu.be/gProRSJC38c

thanks for the tip - according to the schedule it's on at 12PM Mountain or 1PM Central

should be a goody
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Guys,

Whenever you can, please post daily schedules of lax games which are available online. Much appreciated ...

spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

I just use this. https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/media/tv-listings

A lot of free and interesting games tonight.

UAlbany at UMass
Richmond at Mount

Will Towson be the worst team in Baltimore (and Maryland). At UMBC tonight.
They have not and will not face Navy and Maryland, but they fell worse
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/1/12 ... -times-lax

currently watching Binghamton vs Army on watchstadium network

spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/1/12 ... -times-lax

Both early games close after a quarter. Watching on split screen
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

spartanslynx wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:32 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm https://www.collegecrosse.com/2020/1/12 ... -times-lax

Both early games close after a quarter. Watching on split screen

good idea - trying to watch part of the UMass v Albany game as well

manyhats

Post by manyhats »

Anyone find a link for the Drexel and St. Joes game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”