Lack of subs in blow outs why?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxmomma

Lack of subs in blow outs why?

Post by Laxmomma »

Third game this year I watched in person or online. Large roster big blow out and the team getting blown out plays 12 maybe 14 girls with another 10 standing on the sideline? Why? Some of these teams are "newer" to Div 1 going against strong programs, the dominant team subbed freely. Why not get some of the younger girls some time? Why not prevent your so called studs from getting hurt? One game the coach played the same 12 entire game ( Wofford vs Duke) with 4-6 kids dressed on sideline ready to go in. Why?
Badlands

Re: Lack of subs in blow outs why?

Post by Badlands »

Or the frequency with which teams have a running clock for most of the second half and sub in only half of the available non-starters.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Every coach is different. Every program is different. I think there are all kinds of reasons that go into why some teams won’t put in their bench in blowouts and why some teams will. I think a lot of things factor in, (speaking for myself certainly) that I am unaware of.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

With some schools, I swear it is about getting stats for certain players.. That helps with the AA consideration, but if you drill down and see that player X scored 8 on little sisters of the poor, it loses some of its WOW
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 pm With some schools, I swear it is about getting stats for certain players.. That helps with the AA consideration, but if you drill down and see that player X scored 8 on little sisters of the poor, it loses some of its WOW
Great point.Very true. And I've heard of it causing resentment among the bench players who are thinking "OK, now our AA has scored 8 in the first half and we're up 15-0. By the time I get in, the coaches will be telling us we can only score one each."
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Agree with wlaxnut on this one, that there are so many different reasons.

I also think ability to understand the systems being played can sometimes come into it. It may be that standalone some of those kids are super talented but often they get into the college environment and if you can’t learn to fit into (and execute) whatever system the coaches are running offensively or defensively then you probably won’t get time. Lax IQ is super important.

I agree though it is nice to see bench kids get more time, it can’t be fun being on that sideline so much!
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

My thinking is that a great way for reserves to show they can run the system is in a real game with live opponents and refs. You can’t replicate that in practice. And it’s great for them to have game pressure after the coach says: “You’re going in and we’re up by 12. When the game ends, I expect us to be ahead by at least a dozen.” Maybe BC would be looking sharper if they had done more of that over the last 2-3 years. We’ll never know.
Laxmomma

Post by Laxmomma »

I was mostly asking about the losing team in these blow outs! This behavior is sure to make the transfer portal light up come May! Off the players I know in this current situation, losing end of blow outs coach plays 12 kids! It is not lax IQ or ability for some it simply is they are not the "new" coaches recruits and they want them gone.. sad to not even give kids a chance.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Laxmomma wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:45 am I was mostly asking about the losing team in these blow outs! This behavior is sure to make the transfer portal light up come May! Off the players I know in this current situation, losing end of blow outs coach plays 12 kids! It is not lax IQ or ability for some it simply is they are not the "new" coaches recruits and they want them gone.. sad to not even give kids a chance.
I can understand how that would be very difficult, for both player and parent. Very disappointing.
RocktheCasbah

Post by RocktheCasbah »

Laxmomma wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:14 pm Third game this year I watched in person or online. Large roster big blow out and the team getting blown out plays 12 maybe 14 girls with another 10 standing on the sideline? Why? Some of these teams are "newer" to Div 1 going against strong programs, the dominant team subbed freely. Why not get some of the younger girls some time? Why not prevent your so called studs from getting hurt? One game the coach played the same 12 entire game ( Wofford vs Duke) with 4-6 kids dressed on sideline ready to go in. Why?
It must be pointed out that this particular game you cite featured 30 players for Duke.

Box score: https://goduke.com/sports/womens-lacros ... core/19221

Wofford only played 13.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 pm With some schools, I swear it is about getting stats for certain players.. That helps with the AA consideration, but if you drill down and see that player X scored 8 on little sisters of the poor, it loses some of its WOW
Kylie O ( StonyBrook) played in blowouts , racking up stats. Unfortunately, you can look at box scores and see examples. Women’s lacrosse in general does not use the bench. You hear team this & that. They don’t play enough people!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:02 am
Kylie O ( StonyBrook) played in blowouts , racking up stats. Unfortunately, you can look at box scores and see examples. Women’s lacrosse in general does not use the bench. You hear team this & that. They don’t play enough people!
And she racked up probably most of those stats against the Sisters of the Poor in the America East conference, who she got to play 7 times during the regular season, then another 2 in the America East championship.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:02 am
And she racked up probably most of those stats against the Sisters of the Poor in the America East conference, who she got to play 7 times during the regular season, then another 2 in the America East championship.
I’m w you. Back then I was looking at her box scores, it was blatantly obvious she was staking numbers w the coaches ok. I don’t have any angst towards SB or KO. It is what it is. But women’s coaches have to get out of that old school nonsense about substitutions. Play the entire roster in games that are in control in the second half. The best thing that can happen to women’s lacrosse is keep moving forward . Don’t go back to old school way driven by the ego maniac women’s coaches who played for the US Squad in 79 ! No one cares.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

3putt, I don’t weigh in on KO but I totally agree with you on what needs to change on the coaching end.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”