Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mightyjoe

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Mightyjoe »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:24 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:09 pm Concannon is still listed among the key personnel in the game notes. Should we assume that there is still hope he will return at some point this season?
Is this Concannon's 5th year, correct? If for some reason he doesn't come back and play would he be eligible for a 6th year? I know there is a bunch of other requirements that need to be met but just playing 1 game this year wouldn't make him ineligble.
I found this via google. This seems to indicate Concannon could possibly have a chance for a 6th year if he can't play anymore this year. Question is, would he want to take it if he were to get it?

A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria. It could work for a player such as currently-redshirting Nathan Cottrell or KirVonte Benson, though, were they to suffer a second season-ending injury at some point in their careers.
concannon's first redshirt was medical. there have been a number of folks in the nc$$ who've gotten 2 medicals. i'd imagine most of them have been revenue/full scholly types.
even at hopkins boland got 2 years, the 2nd medical.

if he's still in the game notes, such as they are, everyone's probably hopeful/expecting he'll be back.
He's not mention in this weeks game notes
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Mightyjoe wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:32 pm He's not mention in this weeks game notes
He is in the full PDF version
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The hope is that because the team hasn't announced anything yet, he has a chance to return. When it's a 100% season-ending injury with no hope for return, they usually come out and say so. So in this case, no news might be relatively good news.

But IF Concannon is out for the year and IF he wants to return for round 6, I think the NCAA would give it to him. The bigger issue IMO would be whether or not he wants to come back. A 5th year is one thing but a 6th is more difficult to pull off for a variety of reasons. For starters I assume he'd have to find another master's program. I feel for him and hope this isn't the case and that he's able to return this year and continue contributing. Good player and a good kid.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Think a tough issue is being 23 or 24 years old playing with 19 and 20-year olds- strange.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

notentitled wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 pm Think a tough issue is being 23 or 24 years old playing with 19 and 20-year olds- strange.
I believe I remember a story that the guys called Boland Grandpa or something similar in his last year. lol
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

I guess one positive for the team is that the parents aren’t starting fights in ND’s version of PJs.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/p ... 9e943.html
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I bet $100 that the parents arrested were from Long Island. :D

Just kidding, I know that no sane person would take that bet.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 pm I bet $100 that the parents arrested were from Long Island. :D

this is a pretty insulting post to the people of new jersey.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:40 pm
Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 pm I bet $100 that the parents arrested were from Long Island. :D

Many of the awful people in Jersey are, in fact, from Long Island.

Or Staten Island.

Nice win over Georgetown for the Hopkins women yesterday. The game-winning goal in the final seconds was featured on SportsCenter.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

What's the over/under on Sowers for tomorrow?
8 G, 2 A ?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

[/quote]
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:33 am What's the over/under on Sowers for tomorrow?
8 G, 2 A ?
I’ve got 6 and 4
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Massey projection:
Princeton 38 percent
Princeton 38 percent
52AFB651-D262-486C-BE6C-7153BA91421D.jpeg (201.97 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
Projects 13-12 Princeton, 38% chance of Hopkins winning.

I doubt it will be a one goal game.

But, that’s the fun of the actual game. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I remember the last trip up there though. Not fun.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:33 am What's the over/under on Sowers for tomorrow?
8 G, 2 A ?
Relatedly, how much zone vs man to man?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Many of the awful people in Jersey are, in fact, from Long Island.

Or Staten Island.

Nice win over Georgetown for the Hopkins women yesterday. The game-winning goal in the final seconds was featured on SportsCenter.
It was a nice highlight except for him saying John instead of Johns twice
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am
8 G, 2 A ?
Relatedly, how much zone vs man to man?
93 and 7. 7 being when Hopkins is MD.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Obviously it's pick your poison with Sowers as he can beat you pretty much every which way but I think you have to try to turn him into a goal scorer as much as you possibly can. He's going to beat you at least a few times but I still think that's better than letting him just rack up 10 easy assists (not necessarily "easy," but he makes them look that way). It's almost impossible to double team the kid because he will recognize and find the open man 100 times out of 100.

I think you have to try shut shut-off strategy—it probably won't work for the whole game but at least it might force Princeton to waste a valuable part of the shot clock getting Sowers free so that he can orchestrate the offense. The more time spent getting Sowers the ball than Sowers carrying the ball is a win for the defense. I'd rather he have 20-30 seconds to beat us each possession than 40-60. That also means riding well. Even if you don't force a failed clear, at least make them use the whole 20 seconds.

The unfortunate thing is as good as he is, he's also extremely difficult to even prepare for. Who on the scout team can even come close to resembling his combination of speed, strength, footwork, and passing ability? They aren't going to get a taste of what it's like to defend him until...they actually have to defend him. There's really no good way to simulate it.

The best defensive strategy against Sowers is probably just to play good offense. Win more faceoffs, take good, long possessions, don't turn the ball over. Not exactly rocket science, I know.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am Obviously it's pick your poison with Sowers as he can beat you pretty much every which way but I think you have to try to turn him into a goal scorer as much as you possibly can. He's going to beat you at least a few times but I still think that's better than letting him just rack up 10 easy assists (not necessarily "easy," but he makes them look that way). It's almost impossible to double team the kid because he will recognize and find the open man 100 times out of 100.

I think you have to try shut shut-off strategy—it probably won't work for the whole game but at least it might force Princeton to waste a valuable part of the shot clock getting Sowers free so that he can orchestrate the offense. The more time spent getting Sowers the ball than Sowers carrying the ball is a win for the defense. I'd rather he have 20-30 seconds to beat us each possession than 40-60. That also means riding well. Even if you don't force a failed clear, at least make them use the whole 20 seconds.

The unfortunate thing is as good as he is, he's also extremely difficult to even prepare for. Who on the scout team can even come close to resembling his combination of speed, strength, footwork, and passing ability? They aren't going to get a taste of what it's like to defend him until...they actually have to defend him. There's really no good way to simulate it.

The best defensive strategy against Sowers is probably just to play good offense. Win more faceoffs, take good, long possessions, don't turn the ball over. Not exactly rocket science, I know.
Has Petro ever locked a guy off? I don’t really remember him ever deploying that strategy.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

I don't see the lock-off working with Sowers. With Teat, it can be effective because it deprives the offensive of his real strength, which is pin-point passing to just the right man for an open shot or to maximize pressure on the defense. Sowers is quicker and faster than the lock-off guy. He will beat the lock-off in 3 seconds, and now what do you do?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:20 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am Obviously it's pick your poison with Sowers as he can beat you pretty much every which way but I think you have to try to turn him into a goal scorer as much as you possibly can. He's going to beat you at least a few times but I still think that's better than letting him just rack up 10 easy assists (not necessarily "easy," but he makes them look that way). It's almost impossible to double team the kid because he will recognize and find the open man 100 times out of 100.

Has Petro ever locked a guy off? I don’t really remember him ever deploying that strategy.
Zack Greer. Actually worked, but Greer and Sowers are obviously very different players.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DALaxDad wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:31 am I don't see the lock-off working with Sowers. With Teat, it can be effective because it deprives the offensive of his real strength, which is pin-point passing to just the right man for an open shot or to maximize pressure on the defense. Sowers is quicker and faster than the lock-off guy. He will beat the lock-off in 3 seconds, and now what do you do?
Get your face off man ready.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”