CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Trinity

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by Trinity »

Back in the day the Weathermen were an offshoot of the SDS. My wife still has a Harvard on Strike T-shirt.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
tech37 wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:tech37,
What makes it so tough to understand that 'white supremacists' or 'white nationalists' are not synonymous with "white males" ?
I didn't comment on that either way. Don't know what you're talking about.
Perhaps I misunderstood your "pre-election fear mongering" comment as dismissing the article which was offered as a good read on the topic of this sort of hate group and its threat.

And then conflated that with our resident troll's apparent fear on behalf of "white men".
That was the line of discussion and the thread topic.
You seemed to be coming down on the side of dismissing the issue as material or appropriate in the given moment, despite the events of last week that brought the issue to the forefront in a terrible way.

Please feel free to make your view, whatever it may be, more clear; and if I jumped to a mistaken conclusion, my apologies.
In my opinion, it is irresponsible for the NYT (or any other "news" outlet for that matter) to publish an article recognizing just one extremist group in this country, when these groups exist on both sides. In doing so, they are simply acting in political and racist fashion.

Also, the timing is quite obvious, stoking fear days before the election. Let's not waste each other's time on this point and agree to disagree. And to spare you from going into novella mode, I realize that both sides are guilty of playing the fear card.
No novella, but you're simply wrong about there being any sort of balance between left and right violent extremism in America today.

The facts matter, or at least should.

Unless you're going to suggest that extreme Islamic fundamentalism is somehow leftist, the events of hate ideology inspired violence from the left are quite minimal.

Not non-existent though. And I believe entirely that the hard left is quite capable of organizing to commit hate (or anti-authority) crimes and/or inspiring hate crimes too, but the balance is indeed heavily tipped to the hard right. But absolutely we should be darn concerned about the left resorting to extremism and violence if there is not an adequate response to the hate speech and violence out of the hard right, and particularly from the Oval Office.

As to the timing, this was a story that is important and building, and absolutely the heightened political rhetoric is considered to be a component. That rhetoric from the biggest bull horn has ratcheted up to unprecedented levels.

But the 'stoking fear' was a guy going to a black church to kill blacks, finding the doors locked and going to the grocery store to find random blacks to kill. It was the pipe bombs sent to the President's designated enemies list, it was the anti-semitic shooter killing 11 in a synagogue. All in one week.

Would anyone have paid much attention to that article otherwise? Stoking fear? Or would it have been brushed off as much ado about nothing?

Weathermen Fatty? Yeah, they've been a big threat over the past 30 years...right.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote:NO ONE has answered this question:

Was Bill Ayers and his weather underground group considered a left wing or right wing hate group?

Oh....the answer....it matters.

Also, example by example, please prove where the original list is false.
TLD searching for a video response on youtube right now ;) ..... (just having some fun)

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

A lot of this stuff (from both extremes) is amplified by social media.

If you missed Frontline's documentary on Facebook, I strongly recommend Part 2.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... k-dilemma/

Here's a good study :
https://www.moreincommon.com/hidden-tribes/

The dialogue is dominated by the 14% who represent the polar extremes (8 % left, 6 % right)

67% of us are the "exhausted majority", in which there is much agreement on even the most divisive issues.

The polar extremes & partisan media drive the political dialogue.
Last edited by old salt on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: But the 'stoking fear' was a guy going to a black church to kill blacks, finding the doors locked and going to the grocery store to find random blacks to kill. It was the pipe bombs sent to the President's designated enemies list, it was the anti-semitic shooter killing 11 in a synagogue. All in one week.

Would anyone have paid much attention to that article otherwise? Stoking fear? Or would it have been brushed off as much ado about nothing?

Weathermen Fatty? Yeah, they've been a big threat over the past 30 years...right.
just answer the "F n " question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLEpZm957jk

Right wing or late wing? And what events on baldonitos list are NOT true?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:NO ONE has answered this question:

Was Bill Ayers and his weather underground group considered a left wing or right wing hate group?

Oh....the answer....it matters.

Also, example by example, please prove where the original list is false.
TLD searching for a video response on youtube right now ;) ..... (just having some fun)

tremendous :lol: .....and so true confused2
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote:A lot of this stuff (from both extremes) is amplified by social media.

Here's a good study :
https://www.moreincommon.com/hidden-tribes/

The dialogue is dominated by the 14% who represent the polar extremes (8 % left, 6 % right)

67% of us are the "exhausted majority", in which there is much agreement on even the most divisive issues.

The polar extremes & partisan media drive the political dialogue.
I have been saying for years that 80% of us can agree on 80% of the stuff....
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Who is it that's trying to compare the Weather Underground with Nazis and white supremacist racists? Is there a point in there somewhere, something about them all being the same, is that it?

What was the Weather Underground founded to protest? Were their bombings ever preceded by evacuation warnings? Did their positions have something to do with racial hatred?

Maybe this ice cream DOES have bones...??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Is this really this hard? To try to "converse" with people on this website?

We all really "enjoy" the critical thinking after reading wikipedia for 30-40 seconds, but you're still just not answering a very simple question.

timmy mcveigh.......right wing US Government bomber

bill ayers/WU........Left wing US Government bomber

I have this correct? they are NOT all the same? huh? What was timmy mcveigh protesting? quick, answer, without looking it up on wiki.

Big difference.........bill ayers comes from a wealthy family. They still are. mcviegh?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:Is this really this hard? To try to "converse" with people on this website?

We all really "enjoy" the critical thinking after reading wikipedia for 30-40 seconds, but you're still just not answering a very simple question.

timmy mcveigh.......right wing US Government bomber

bill ayers/WU........Left wing US Government bomber

I have this correct? they are NOT all the same? huh? What was timmy mcveigh protesting? quick, answer, without looking it up on wiki.

Big difference.........bill ayers comes from a wealthy family. They still are. mcviegh?
I'll bite.
McVeigh was a right wing, anti-gov't nut, revenge for Waco and Ruby Ridge. Killed 168.

Ayers was a left wing radical who turned to violence to gain attention for a cause, primarily against the war. If I recall correctly they issued warnings in advance and again if I recall correctly the only lives lost were 3 of their own in an accidental explosion as they were making bombs.

I do see those as meaningful differences. Which isn't to cut either slack.

But neither are examples of anything comparable to the organized terror of the white supremacist groups and their long, ugly history of killing and intimidation based solely on racial/ethnic hate of minorities.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Who died in a Weather Underground attack? Anyone?

FPAATS

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ** snork

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

McVeigh - White Dude
Ayers - White Dude

----

Recent major mass shootings not targeted at one person / family for revenge

Yoga Studio Shooting - White Dude
Synagogue Shooting - White Dude
Kentucky Grocery Store - White Dude
Santa Fe High School - White Dude
Charleston Church - White Dude
Parkland, FL - White Dude
Las Vegas - White Dude
Capital Gazette - White Dude
Sutherland Springs Church - White Dude
Pulse Nightclub - Middle Eastern "Brown" Dude (born in US)
Dallas Shooting - Black Dude (Army vet born in US)
San Bernadino - White Guy
Baton Rouge Shooting - Black Dude (Born in US)
Waco Shootout - White Dudes (motorcycle clubs / gangs, including the Bandidos - coincidence???)
Fort Hood - Puerto Rican (Army Vet born in US)

------------

The people making big statements outside of personal revenge / gang / drug related violence do seem to be from the majority of the populace. You'd have to really dig into the data to find definitive motive and per capita attacks and injuries to find correlation, but it certainly seems like the people wanting to make terror statements are white dudes, regardless of motive.

Kind of like the people making terror statements in Afghanistan are mostly majority race Afghanis, and those in Iraq are mostly majority race Iraqis, those in Brazil are mostly majority race Brazilians, etc.

You're more likely to be killed in a US-national terrorist attack than a foreign based terror attack. You're more likely to be killed by a cow than being killed in a foreign based terror attack.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Your ethnic bean counting is suspect (& amusing in it's deception).
Sometime it's not skin color that matters.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -on-terror
San Berdo = white guy ; Ft Hood = Puerto Rican. .:roll:.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote:Your ethnic bean counting is suspect (& amusing in it's deception).
Your'e correct, I meant Santa Barbara - but there are so many reported on nowadays that it's easy to make a mistake (even if it's about the safest time in modern history)

San Bernadino perpetrators were still born in the USA even if they were "Brown" people.

But you're picking out the one mistake among them all and ignoring the rest. .:roll:. - want to comment on all of the others? Virtually everyone listed in your link was born in the US.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I was focusing more on the motivation & ideology of the attackers, rather than their color.

Did you detect a common trait among the attackers in the article I linked ?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote:
old salt wrote:Your ethnic bean counting is suspect (& amusing in it's deception).
Your'e correct, I meant Santa Barbara - but there are so many reported on nowadays that it's easy to make a mistake (even if it's about the safest time in modern history)

San Bernadino perpetrators were still born in the USA even if they were "Brown" people.

But you're picking out the one mistake among them all and ignoring the rest. .:roll:. - want to comment on all of the others? Virtually everyone listed in your link was born in the US.
Did they mostly not have ONE thing in common........bat turd ares wholes of crazy land. Once again, thank you NSA, here's another 3 trillion, because the information is SO overwhelming.
True story. A local kid at one state U. was planning a road trip to visit friends at another state U. They were underage regarding booze purchases. In text messages, they referred to beer (budlt) as "ak 47's" . Boors lt were m16s. "we are locked and loaded and heading up" and various other similar text messages. In less than an hour, state police were a knock knocking on the kids door, weapons drawn. He was actually grateful they came and were paying attention, after they de-booted his face to the floor and interrorgated him. Question......HOW did they follow this conversation of texts? And get to campus SO fast?

And yet, dont spend any time scouring social media?

Anyway, the way you and Lemon are portraying patterns are hateful and generalizations. We all know it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:
holmes435 wrote:

Did they mostly not have ONE thing in common........bat turd ares wholes of crazy land. Once again, thank you NSA, here's another 3 trillion, because the information is SO overwhelming.
True story. A local kid at one state U. was planning a road trip to visit friends at another state U. They were underage regarding booze purchases. In text messages, they referred to beer (budlt) as "ak 47's" . Boors lt were m16s. "we are locked and loaded and heading up" and various other similar text messages. In less than an hour, state police were a knock knocking on the kids door, weapons drawn. He was actually grateful they came and were paying attention, after they de-booted his face to the floor and interrorgated him. Question......HOW did they follow this conversation of texts? And get to campus SO fast?

And yet, dont spend any time scouring social media?

Anyway, the way you and Lemon are portraying patterns are hateful and generalizations. We all know it.
hmmm, what is it about the facts that bother some of us so much?

I don't read Holmes in any sense saying we should fear or hate "white dudes"; I read him as simply saying that when a mass shooting or bombing act happens in America, terrorist or undetermined motive, the perpetrator is more likely to be a "white dude" than any other group. But not necessarily.

I'm a "white dude". I'm not worried that Don Lemon is "hateful" about me.
Pretty sure he knows that the violent actors are a tiny minority of "white men", the exception and far from the rule.

What does bother me about the reverse racist assumptions about "white men", especially "old white men", (which I have indeed experienced) is the understandable assumption that I may have views similar to those I actually reject. I wish I didn't need to consciously make clear to a room full of black women in a poor urban neighborhood that they could trust me to understand and respect them. But I do have to do so. And I understand why that is, based on their life experiences.

I am more concerned about the soft 'white supremacism' of much of our white population. Assumptions based on racial difference, anxieties about demographic change whipped into a frenzy by demagoguery. This provides an umbrella of acceptability for 1) the hard white supremacists to take action, and 2) for institutional discrimination to worsen instead of improving.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote:I was focusing more on the motivation & ideology of the attackers, rather than their color.

Did you detect a common trait among the attackers in the article I linked ?
A few common traits. Mostly American citizens, home-grown radicalized people with a middle eastern and Islamic background. They killed about 100 people over 16 years mostly because of Islamic extremism.

Is that about right, and what exactly was your point?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote:A lot of this stuff (from both extremes) is amplified by social media.

Another home run by Frontline!! FB is a hot mess and is ground zero for all that is wrong with an open platform with questionable guardrails.

The Scapegoating of Facebook

"Liberals at Harvard show, with data, why liberals elsewhere are wrong about 2016."

"Let’s roll back the tape. It was evident to this columnist Russian trolls were favoring Donald Trump as early as mid-2015, but it didn’t then and doesn’t now seem like a big deal. The internet is a welter of dubious information and fake claims by people pretending to be somebody they aren’t. On the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog."

Frontline dispelled that notion...
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

not sure if we have the racism thread back but ill use this one for now.
https://www.nj.com/education/2018/11/th ... ust_g.html

his defense? no such thing as reverse racism. (oh and his rights were violated)

state U's response? well, it didnt really disrupt the "university's mission" (why?). racist professor doesnt disrupt state U's mission (which is to charge $14k/year).

see? it was just satire. now i get it.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “POLITICS”