Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mightyjoe

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Mightyjoe »

jhu7276 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:44 pm I have a JHU alumni conference call tomorrow and they will hear from me...time for heads to roll...but who knows if they even give a ****

:(
What do you say to alum
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Mightyjoe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:40 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm just saying it can't be any worse than rolling out Mabbett and Stagnitta every week
I wonder if some guys even watch the games. Do you really think Mabbett has been given a fair chance? Have you ever seen him take more than two runs in a game? I’ll help you out, his average of runs per game is a lot closer to zero than two.
The kid needs a chance to bring it down the alley. Looks like he doesn't fit in Bobby's offense. Waste of talent.
Athletic alley dodging midfielders have been a staple of the Hopkins offense for the past two decades. If he was that good at it, they would use him. Hopefully he can continue to develop and make contributions. The coaches seem to like him somewhat. Among the bench warmers he gets relatively more time.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Let’s look at yesterday’s Massey ratings:
MasseyRatings23FEB2020
MasseyRatings23FEB2020
061C68C6-5593-491A-BDE8-5450C5B94CBE.jpeg (127.75 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
Note what I highlighted in yellow. Expected wins, expected losses. For a 13 game regular season, that projects to be 7-6.

Got to play them all, of course, but THE KEY game this year as to whether JHU plays in the B1G Tournament looks like it will be the Rutgers game. That could be the difference between a conference record of 2-3, playing more, OR 1-4 and playing golf.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

More Massey (which is far better than stupid polls - polls are just for fun and stirring up conversation):

Hopkins season, current projection of game outcomes:
Hopkins-Massey23FEB2020
Hopkins-Massey23FEB2020
62D47CA6-F929-4EDA-9978-6999C0FE6EC9.jpeg (215.87 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
Again, circle that Rutgers match on your calendar.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

On a game by game projection, that would be 6-7.

Getting into the B1G tourney and losing in the first game would make Hopkins 6-8, below .500 and ineligible for the NCAA tournament.

The season already projects to truly be AQ or bust.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And that’s the current state of Hopkins Tradition.

Potential 5, 6, 7 loss or worse seasons. Not just 3 or 2 losses, or even being competitive if they make the playoffs.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:26 am
I'm just saying it can't be any worse than rolling out Mabbett and Stagnitta every week
I wonder if some guys even watch the games. Do you really think Mabbett has been given a fair chance? Have you ever seen him take more than two runs in a game? I’ll help you out, his average of runs per game is a lot closer to zero than two.
The kid needs a chance to bring it down the alley. Looks like he doesn't fit in Bobby's offense. Waste of talent.
Athletic alley dodging midfielders have been a staple of the Hopkins offense for the past two decades. If he was that good at it, they would use him. Hopefully he can continue to develop and make contributions. The coaches seem to like him somewhat. Among the bench warmers he gets relatively more time.
Yeah, they must really like him to have 0, 1 or 2 times on the field per game (not runs, the bury him) Oh wait, he and others don't get many runs because the offense is being so productive.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:26 am
Seriously, the entire offense from 2010 to 2013 was middie alley dodges. I can commend Benson for expanding the offense back in the 2014 time frame but I still don't think he is a great OC. But, I think most of the offense is driven by talent and not his strategies. So when Hopkins comes up against teams that match Hopkins talent they have a hard time scoring. They spend too much time working for the mismatch which forces bad play in the last few seconds of the SO.

I also think Petro controls the offense too much. If anything has taught us from last year and the shot clock is that you need to push play. There were certainly times on Saturday where Hopkins had a slow fast break and numbers but they didn't push the ball. That is Petro's MO.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm Would someone please teach Ron Daniels how to clear against a 10-man ride? Unacceptable that he still can't do that by now
Again, the issue isn't that Daniels is against the program but doesn't give it the support it needs. He isn't going to get in the way of what the program wants to do like the council stuff but he isn't going to push it to go beyond their expectations. He's completely fine with where the program is. A good CEO would look at one of his marque programs struggling and try to find ways to improve the program. A few years ago that necessarily wouldn't mean a HC change though it probably would have included staff changes. But, a few years ago it would have likely been simple high level actions. Maybe it would be provide additional staff to reduce Petro's work load. I'm sure Petro does a ton of fundraising and fundraising events on behalf of the school - and I am talking outside of the athletics program. Maybe Daniels could have said to reduce those events while the program is struggling. There are a million things that Daniels could have done that what many believe is just not getting in the way.

Further, there is very valid reason a number of the D3 coaches have retired over the last 5 years. Wow, just looked at outside of Babb, Van Allen and Tucker, all the rest of the old guard from the 90s are gone. RIP Margraff and Funk.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:52 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm Would someone please teach Ron Daniels how to clear against a 10-man ride? Unacceptable that he still can't do that by now
Again, the issue isn't that Daniels is against the program but doesn't give it the support it needs. He isn't going to get in the way of what the program wants to do like the council stuff but he isn't going to push it to go beyond their expectations. He's completely fine with where the program is. A good CEO would look at one of his marque programs struggling and try to find ways to improve the program. A few years ago that necessarily wouldn't mean a HC change though it probably would have included staff changes. But, a few years ago it would have likely been simple high level actions. Maybe it would be provide additional staff to reduce Petro's work load. I'm sure Petro does a ton of fundraising and fundraising events on behalf of the school - and I am talking outside of the athletics program. Maybe Daniels could have said to reduce those events while the program is struggling. There are a million things that Daniels could have done that what many believe is just not getting in the way.

Further, there is very valid reason a number of the D3 coaches have retired over the last 5 years. Wow, just looked at outside of Babb, Van Allen and Tucker, all the rest of the old guard from the 90s are gone. RIP Margraff and Funk.
Maybe he can help with man-down D? They don't call him Ronny "D" for nothing.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

In 18 years as a student and alum I've never seen Petro anywhere on campus other than the lacrosse field on gamedays, lacrosse freshman move in day and a few times a year to see if players were in class. I've never seen his name on a fundraising invitation for the school or photos of him at any non lacrosse related event. Not spring fair, not a Hopkins in Los Angeles event, having lunch at in a freshman cafeteria w/regular students, not stopping by the phonathon where kids call to ask for $. When I was a sr they forced track off campus so his program could have a pretty field, then built him a lacrosse only facility. I'm not sure how the school has over burdened him w/commitments or starved him of resources. I really don't care for daniels but he's not the reason to my knowledge we're 1-2 and have only been able to win more than 1 ncaa tournament game once in a dozen years.

They have 2 games to get the season back on track, get some momentum into the mid major section so it's not aq or bust, again.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Will the Princeton game have any live video options?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am Will the Princeton game have any live video options?
It will be on ESPN+ ($5 a month for a subscription), so likely a step down in quality from the ESPNU broadcasts.

https://plus.espn.com/

That said, you might want to avert your eyes.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Maybe better to wait until after it's over to pay to watch the replay if it turns out OK. :lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I got the package, ESPN+, specifically to watch Michael Sowers this year.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I get a couple of invites a year to fund raising events with DPs involvement.

Off tooic a bit. I was approached to be the fund raiser for my class’s gift for Homecoming. Had a nice lunch and asked how much. I get a number and really shouldn’t be a problem and who I would call. I was told no. I couldn’t call them because they had a relationship manager who controlled access. I turned it down. I then met with someone to find out more detail. The people I was calling lived in the Chicago area but their assigned RM was in Baltimore. I suggested they put someone on the ground there. I believe they did but don’t know they did. Silos.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:47 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am Will the Princeton game have any live video options?
It will be on ESPN+ ($5 a month for a subscription), so likely a step down in quality from the ESPNU broadcasts.

I can get the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ package. If things get ugly I guess I can watch The Mandalorian instead? lol
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:47 am

The ESPN+ broadcast from the Princeton-UVA women's game was pretty well done.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Jerry Price of Princeton's sports info dept is a very knowledgable lax commentator.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’ve never paid attention to the Massey stuff. Historically how accurate have those predictions been?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”