Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by youthathletics »

Maybe we can hire this guy for Petro, or ask his players to take his class?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:52 pm

Some of you will find this blasphemous but I don't really care if the next coach—whether it's next year or in 20 years—is a Hopkins alum or not. UVA, Maryland, Duke, and Yale have done pretty well for themselves by hiring from outside their communities. There's a whole world of talented people out there, doesn't make sense to me to restrict the hiring pool to a half dozen names. Despite what some of you may think—it is still Hopkins, and in the event there is a coaching vacancy, you will have guys from all over the country crawling over each other for the chance to coach the men's program here.
Strongly agree with this. Regardless of what timeframe we're talking about, restricting to JHU grads would be a big mistake. And don't make assumptions about who's "happy" or not. Especially as long as "Ivy League Administrative Fatigue" remains a thing. A guy like Mike Murphy, perhaps?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Some of you will find this blasphemous but I don't really care if the next coach—whether it's next year or in 20 years—is a Hopkins alum or not. UVA, Maryland, Duke, and Yale have done pretty well for themselves by hiring from outside their communities. There's a whole world of talented people out there, doesn't make sense to me to restrict the hiring pool to a half dozen names. Despite what some of you may think—it is still Hopkins, and in the event there is a coaching vacancy, you will have guys from all over the country crawling over each other for the chance to coach the men's program here.
Strongly agree with this. Regardless of what timeframe we're talking about, restricting to JHU grads would be a big mistake. And don't make assumptions about who's "happy" or not. Especially as long as "Ivy League Administrative Fatigue" remains a thing. A guy like Mike Murphy, perhaps?
Depends on how they are let go. The incestuous nature of lacrosse may make others respect the existing person more than wanting to work at JHU. There is precedent to prove this theory.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm Have a fan and DMac ever been seen in the same post at the same time???

Hmmm …

Agree with DMac on faceoffs though … less important than the average fan thinks.
ha! dmac... like his passion, too. and an upstate guy.

i wonder how boeheim would feel if, 10-13 times a game.. the refs gave the ball back to the orange's opponent to check in at the top of the key after they made a bucket? nah, probably wouldn't matter.
Sorry to interrupt the misery here, just wanted to finish this.
If that were to happen he'd be miserable, but then again he'd be miserable if his team got the ball at the top key after every hoop. He's just a miserable kind of guy. Was listening to a commentator some time back and the team Cuse was playing was playing a 2-3 zone. The commentator said the only difference between JB's 2-3 and the other HC's (can't remember who it was) is that the other HC has a personality. He was pretty much right on the money (I aint no JB/Cuse hoops fan).
JFTR, I absolutely appreciate that winning the FO is a whole lot better than losing it but I just don't see it as being as big a deal as whole lot of others do.
Enjoyed the chat, now back to the demise of Hop on their thread.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Depends on how they are let go. The incestuous nature of lacrosse may make others respect the existing person more than wanting to work at JHU. There is precedent to prove this theory.
Understood. Though if letting a guy go that has served out his contract is a bad way to be "let go', I guess we're looking at coach-for-life.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

What makes you think "Ivy League Administrative Fatigue" is so much worse than Hopkins in the age of Daniels?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Would someone please teach Ron Daniels how to clear against a 10-man ride? Unacceptable that he still can't do that by now
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm Would someone please teach Ron Daniels how to clear against a 10-man ride? Unacceptable that he still can't do that by now
:lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

This is the most complete Princeton team I've seen in an age. Despite being a UVA fan, I didn't mind seeing this particular Princeton team pull out a win in Charlottesville, because it looks like that win might actually represent something other than a fluke. It will be interesting to see how quickly Princeton's speed affects Hopkins defensive scheme. Forget about Sowers (well, not really), but the rest of Princeton is blazing as well. Their wing play is remarkable and they'll push transition. 20, 20, and 16 for goals on the season at this point for the Tigers. Not a whole lot of offensive let up from week 1 Monmouth to week 3 UVA.

This could prove to be a QW come tournament time. As a home game, I might feel more confident, but as an away game coming on the heels of a confidence builder, I'm not so sure. Sowers has gotten loose for 5 or 6 the past couple of years, and the Jays have still been able to pull it out.

If this Tiger team looks anything like they did against UVA, then watch out. That being said, UVA looked pretty darn sloppy. However, and this is a big however, if Hopkins exceeds Princeton in the goal column of the box score, that could spell trouble for Princeton.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm ...if Hopkins exceeds Princeton in the goal column of the box score, that could spell trouble for Princeton.
Geez, who woulda thunk it??
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm This is the most complete Princeton team I've seen in an age. Despite being a UVA fan, I didn't mind seeing this particular Princeton team pull out a win in Charlottesville, because it looks like that win might actually represent something other than a fluke. It will be interesting to see how quickly Princeton's speed affects Hopkins defensive scheme. Forget about Sowers (well, not really), but the rest of Princeton is blazing as well. Their wing play is remarkable and they'll push transition. 20, 20, and 16 for goals on the season at this point for the Tigers. Not a whole lot of offensive let up from week 1 Monmouth to week 3 UVA.

This could prove to be a QW come tournament time. As a home game, I might feel more confident, but as an away game coming on the heels of a confidence builder, I'm not so sure. Sowers has gotten loose for 5 or 6 the past couple of years, and the Jays have still been able to pull it out.

If this Tiger team looks anything like they did against UVA, then watch out. That being said, UVA looked pretty darn sloppy. However, and this is a big however, if Hopkins exceeds Princeton in the goal column of the box score, that could spell trouble for Princeton.
That means the CoronaGetRidOfYourCoachVirus could spread from Hopkins to Princeton.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:28 pm
Enjoyed the chat, now back to the demise of Hop on their thread.
Aviancide is tough to watch.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The word is Schadenfreude.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Jhu99 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 am Our offense would have no problem if he were in control. Instead we have big dope Bobby, who is possibly one of the worst offensive coaches in the country.
Did anyone notice him when he "checked out" during the game. Evident when he was chatting it up with the injured kids rather than talking strategy with those that are playing.
Last edited by Mightyjoe on Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm just saying it can't be any worse than rolling out Mabbett and Stagnitta every week
I wonder if some guys even watch the games. Do you really think Mabbett has been given a fair chance? Have you ever seen him take more than two runs in a game? I’ll help you out, his average of runs per game is a lot closer to zero than two.
The kid needs a chance to bring it down the alley. Looks like he doesn't fit in Bobby's offense. Waste of talent.
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

I have a JHU alumni conference call tomorrow and they will hear from me...time for heads to roll...but who knows if they even give a ****

:(
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

i would look at Steele - if anybody understands how offense is supposed to work it is that kid
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

I would look to anyone that can develop these young men’s natural abilities and avoids crossing his fingers hoping for a score. Watch closely...much of our scoring (very little at this point) comes from free play, not some BS play he designed.
If you need more proof just watch our EMO.
Last edited by Mightyjoe on Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:14 pm i would look at Steele - if anybody understands how offense is supposed to work it is that kid
I like both Dave and Bobby, and I imagine they are under incredible stress, but having Steele on that sideline would be huuuuuuuuuge.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:34 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:14 pm i would look at Steele - if anybody understands how offense is supposed to work it is that kid
I like both Dave and Bobby, and I imagine they are under incredible stress, but having Steele on that sideline would be huuuuuuuuuge.
Steele...sure, Bobby no
Last edited by Mightyjoe on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”