Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by nrthcrosslax »

I'd be curious to see what a "smurf" line could do? Murphy, Angelus, Baskin? Maybe bring a different energy?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I am not necessarily advocating for a coaching change—it's February, and as we've discussed, we'll know one way or the other at the end of this season—but I suppose while you're all already talking about it:

If they do move on, I don't think it makes much sense to hire someone Petro played or coached with. That rules out Tierney and Voelker. Not to mention their track records as head coaches have not been very impressive.

You want to get younger...you want someone who approaches the game a little differently and maybe relates to the players in a different way. Not saying Petro can't do that—in fact by many accounts the players greatly respect him—but I think after moving on from your coach of 20 years you should be in the market for a new personality and philosophy.

I don't know Tierney or Voelker (or really any coach from that era) personally but my guess is they all see the game similarly. They came of age when it was very, very different. Some have adapted well (Tiffany), others, not so much. But I think you want someone who is closer to today's version of the game.

Obviously Nadelen is at the top of a lot of lists. He's done great work at Towson—a place that is not easy to recruit to IMO with Hopkins, Maryland, Loyola, Georgetown, Navy, all within spitting distance. I am curious to see what he'd do with top talent that a place like Homewood can still attract.

Raymond is indeed an interesting name—quite young for a D1 head coach but has done a respectable job with that Hobart team. His background is in defense but under his watch the Statesmen have had some high octane offenses despite multiple offensive coordinators.

I could see Durkin, Boyle, Brown, Crawley, Tinney, etc. all D1 head coaches some day, but I agree...probably not yet. Crawley in particular is rocketing up the ranks, now Lehigh's OC. If we don't hire him soon, someone else probably will.

Some of you will find this blasphemous but I don't really care if the next coach—whether it's next year or in 20 years—is a Hopkins alum or not. UVA, Maryland, Duke, and Yale have done pretty well for themselves by hiring from outside their communities. There's a whole world of talented people out there, doesn't make sense to me to restrict the hiring pool to a half dozen names. Despite what some of you may think—it is still Hopkins, and in the event there is a coaching vacancy, you will have guys from all over the country crawling over each other for the chance to coach the men's program here.

That includes current D1 coaches of successful programs. You're probably not going to steal someone like Tillman or Shay away but one "tier" below that I think is pretty fair game. For instance, someone is eventually going to hire Chemotti away from Richmond if it's not Duke. I don't know if Joe Alberici would ever leave Army but he's someone I'd be interested in hearing from. If you extend to coordinators, I'd be looking at Michael Phipps, who has completely revitalized the Georgetown offense in three years and has a lot of experience coaching (and playing) in the Maryland area.
Homer

Post by Homer »

This is a longer shot than Nadelen or Raymond, who I'd assume are 1a and 1b if you're looking at Hop alums right now -- but as long as we're just idly tossing names out there... One current D1 HC with deep Hopkins and Baltimore ties who hasn't been mentioned yet would be Brian Holman. Maybe not enough HC experience -- and not getting younger as 16 mentioned -- but definitely an interesting resume.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

viper wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am
CU77 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm
Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pmHire Metzbower
OK, I'll say something about Hopkins. The above is the dumbest idea yet on this thread. Hire a guy who's never been a HC to learn on the job at Hopkins? Totally insane. Nadelen is a much better idea.
Nadelen, Marr (probably wouldn't leave Albany) or Seth Tierney. While Hofstra may not have done much under Tierney (they didn't do much under Danowski either) I truly believe that the turning point for this program was the day he left the program. The offense he left behind (2007) was the last that was truly consistent and competitive, despite no measurable drop in recruiting over the last 12 years.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement and you can certainly see a clear delineation between the two "eras" for Hopkins. It isn't that Tierney is better than Benson but what he brings to the table that Benson can't or isn't able to bring. That is Tierney was never coached by Petro while Benson has been. There is always going to be some deferment by Benson (even if subconscientiously) based on the fact there was a coach/player relationship long before it was coach/coach.

This isn't to say I think Tierney should be the coach at Hopkins after Petro but when he left, Hopkins lost a huge influence that you can't put on paper. His leaving changed the dynamics of the program. Maybe it is simple as being able to push back against Petro on strategy, recruiting, team dynamics, etc. Maybe it is an older set of eyes on a recruit or defensive stance. I don't know. And I am not saying Benson can't or won't be that person, only that results have shown that when Tierney was on the staff, the team was demonstratively better than when Benson is on.

Again, I only have to point out the fact, the even with a top 15ish offense over the last 6-7 years, Benson has never really sniffed a DI job. I think his only interview ever was at UMBC. (There might be very valid reasons like Byrne at ND for so long i.e. his wife was the bread winner). But, otherwise, his name never pops up for consideration in any openings over the last 2-3 years. He's what 37ish years old. He is at a prime age for an HC job. Petro was already at Hopkins by that point and he was the HC at Cornell when he was what 30 give or take. Raymond and Nads are of comparable age has him but already of 6 and 8 years of head coaching experience. If he wasn't interested, he would still have heard him taking interviews or at least interest but there's been nada.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

You also have Kevin Conry out there trying build the Michigan program.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:52 pm
Some of you will find this blasphemous but I don't really care if the next coach—whether it's next year or in 20 years—is a Hopkins alum or not. UVA, Maryland, Duke, and Yale have done pretty well for themselves by hiring from outside their communities. There's a whole world of talented people out there, doesn't make sense to me to restrict the hiring pool to a half dozen names. Despite what some of you may think—it is still Hopkins, and in the event there is a coaching vacancy, you will have guys from all over the country crawling over each other for the chance to coach the men's program here.
Regardless of if or when it happens, restricting the interview process to coaches with Hopkins connections or only alumni would be insane. You take the best guy that fulfills the parameters of what you need to be a successful, championship winning DI coach and wants the job. As you said, there will be a ton of guys that would die to be the Hopkins HC (and yes there are a ton of guys that wouldn't). Anything else would be a detriment to the program.

For example, for a long time, the UVA position was considered Corrigan's job to lose when Dom stopped being the coach. And, yet, UVA went back to the Brown well and got Tiffany.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 pm I'd be curious to see what a "smurf" line could do? Murphy, Angelus, Baskin? Maybe bring a different energy?
who did you have in mind coaching this crew?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:22 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 pm I'd be curious to see what a "smurf" line could do? Murphy, Angelus, Baskin? Maybe bring a different energy?
I'm just saying it can't be any worse than rolling out Mabbett and Stagnitta every week
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm just saying it can't be any worse than rolling out Mabbett and Stagnitta every week
and who would coach those guys up in a perfect world?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I wonder if some guys even watch the games. Do you really think Mabbett has been given a fair chance? Have you ever seen him take more than two runs in a game? I’ll help you out, his average of runs per game is a lot closer to zero than two.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm
I wonder if some guys even watch the games. Do you really think Mabbett has been given a fair chance? Have you ever seen him take more than two runs in a game? I’ll help you out, his average of runs per game is a lot closer to zero than two.
Granted a small sample size but what have Murphy and Angelus done in their first runs?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm
I really don't know who the perfect coach would be.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Angelus touched the ball twice for more than 2 seconds on Saturday and both times resulted in goals. I'm no rocket scientist but maybe let that kid play more.

Not sure what they're doing with Mabbett exactly—he kind of just fills up space. They have never attempted initiating offense with him, or even getting him in space to take a shot. He's kind of just there. Not his fault, really. I honestly don't know if he can beat his man one-on-one because we've never seen him try. The guy is quite big and strong, though I know some have accused him of being slow.
steel_hop wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:09 pm Again, I only have to point out the fact, the even with a top 15ish offense over the last 6-7 years, Benson has never really sniffed a DI job. I think his only interview ever was at UMBC. (There might be very valid reasons like Byrne at ND for so long i.e. his wife was the bread winner). But, otherwise, his name never pops up for consideration in any openings over the last 2-3 years. He's what 37ish years old. He is at a prime age for an HC job. Petro was already at Hopkins by that point and he was the HC at Cornell when he was what 30 give or take. Raymond and Nads are of comparable age has him but already of 6 and 8 years of head coaching experience. If he wasn't interested, he would still have heard him taking interviews or at least interest but there's been nada.
For what it's worth, I know for a fact at least one other program sent feelers out to Benson during their recent hiring process, but it wasn't reported in the press. No clue if he actually interviewed, or if he was even interested, but a lot goes on beyond what you hear about here and in Inside Lacrosse. That he hasn't "sniffed" a D1 job, as you put it—even if that's true—is not necessarily an indictment of his coaching ability.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm
Seems like a big athlete and I would love nothing more than to see him break out.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

The misery in this forum is special. :D
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

notentitled wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:52 pm The misery in this forum is special. :D
Wait. Hold my beer.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:42 pm
The answer is obvious here: DocB
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Not sure what they're doing with Mabbett exactly—he kind of just fills up space. They have never attempted initiating offense with him, or even getting him in space to take a shot. He's kind of just there. Not his fault, really. I honestly don't know if he can beat his man one-on-one because we've never seen him try. The guy is quite big and strong, though I know some have accused him of being slow.
Allow him to run and use his strengths to our advantage.
Any other program he would be disruptive to the opposing defense.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:02 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:42 pm
The answer is obvious here: DocB
It would detract from his time coaching the D though.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

This forum is great. By the end of the season, it seems that Pietramala's dismissal will not be enough. Summary execution by firing squad on the 50-yard line will be the only choice. :)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”