Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by wgdsr »

your take on faceoffs continues to be confusing.
no one has ever said it is the only thing that matters.
depending on the game, any statistic on its face can be considered important or irrelevant.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:14 pm your take on faceoffs continues to be confusing.
depending on the game, any statistic on its face can be considered important or irrelevant.
Exactly. Darby could be the next coming of Quint and save everything throw his way, but it matters not, if the boys can't get the ball over the midline in 20 seconds.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:14 pm your take on faceoffs continues to be confusing.
It's not at all confusing, all I've ever said about face offs is that they're over rated. There are a whole lot of people out there who will tell you, face offs wins games!!!! It's just one part of the game that doesn't carry any more weight than GBs, saves, SOGs, TOs, and oh, goals.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you are the only one that says it like that, with zero context. there is no "whole lot of people out there".
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse is 5-0 on face offs, Army is ahead 4-1. Is that context? Cuse was behind pretty much the whole game while dominating at the X. That's not all that unusual in lacrosse.
There were a whole lot of people making a whole lot of noise about TD Ierlan a couple of years back, no? Gonna win a NC if you've got TD...well, maybe not.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan... ya know i like you. the only posts i see talking about faceoffs that way, for a long time now, are yours.

personally, i think they're very important and tip the field. they can be overcome, but it does take a superior effort vs your opponent in other areas. though that's not wholly diff than other parts of the game.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Have a fan and DMac ever been seen in the same post at the same time???

Hmmm …

Agree with DMac on faceoffs though … less important than the average fan thinks.
Last edited by CU77 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I came here to read about Hopkins... instead...

I feel a cat is about to appear.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pmHire Metzbower
OK, I'll say something about Hopkins. The above is the dumbest idea yet on this thread. Hire a guy who's never been a HC to learn on the job at Hopkins? Totally insane. Nadelen is a much better idea.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm I came here to read about Hopkins... instead...

it's about time some thread hijacks happened around here.
ok... narewski? where was he?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm Have a fan and DMac ever been seen in the same post at the same time???

Hmmm …

Agree with DMac on faceoffs though … less important than the average fan thinks.
ha! dmac... like his passion, too. and an upstate guy.

i wonder how boeheim would feel if, 10-13 times a game.. the refs gave the ball back to the orange's opponent to check in at the top of the key after they made a bucket? nah, probably wouldn't matter.
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

CU77 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm
Jhu99 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pmHire Metzbower
OK, I'll say something about Hopkins. The above is the dumbest idea yet on this thread. Hire a guy who's never been a HC to learn on the job at Hopkins? Totally insane. Nadelen is a much better idea.
Our offense would have no problem if he were in control. Instead we have big dope Bobby, who is possibly one of the worst offensive coaches in the country.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm I came here to read about Hopkins... instead...

it's about time some thread hijacks happened around here.
ok... narewski? where was he?
Pine. Showing it’s not just Benson that has questionable personnel decision making.

If there is a standard of play as Petro said after the Loyola game referring to Epstein being pulled, why don’t DeSimone or Baskin ever get put on the bench?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The band should start playing this song:

flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:49 am The band should start playing this song:

A real toe tapper
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:54 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:49 am The band should start playing this song:

A real toe tapper
It took me a few years in my youth to understand why my dad always wanted to watch Hee Haw.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 am
flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:54 am

A real toe tapper
It took me a few years in my youth to understand why my dad always wanted to watch Hee Haw.
I remember why. Image
GSP

Post by GSP »

Johns Hopkins fails to crack the Inside Lacrosse Top 20 with undefeated Princeton and Syracuse on the immediate horizon.

Now, Quint, one of Dave's most obsequious boosters, fails to even rank them as well. Could that be DP's, Walter Cronkite, "The war is now unwinnable" moment?"

Very sad indeed.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 pm a fan... ya know i like you. the only posts i see talking about faceoffs that way, for a long time now, are yours.

personally, i think they're very important and tip the field. they can be overcome, but it does take a superior effort vs your opponent in other areas. though that's not wholly diff than other parts of the game.
I think this is the right take. Face offs win percentage (FOWP) is one of the most important stats in determining who should win the game. Doesn't mean there are other important aspects of the game that can negate face off WP. If you lose the FOWP, you need to win at other parts of the game and by win, I mean much better than the other team. Be it causing TOs, save percentage, clearing and riding, non-FO ground balls, EMO, Man down, etc. If you aren't winning in those areas and are losing the FOWP, more than likely you are losing 17-10.

If you are losing the FOWP, you are already conceding that you are losing possession of the ball more times than not when you have a 50/50 chance at it. It also inhibits a team that is down from stringing a bunch of scores together to get back in the game.

FOWP is also more important to some teams than other. For example, FOWP is really important to PSU because of their offense they can get up 5-6 goals early and by the time you've settled in, the game is essentially over. Just like in the Yale/PSU game this weekend, Yale neutralized PSU's ability to score by having fewer possessions. It is less important to a UNC or ND because those teams like to play 10 man ride and will make up for their lower FOWP by getting TOs on rides.

Saying that the importance of FOWP has dropped with the introduction of the shot clock. Teams like Denver (when they had Baptiste) can't sit on the ball for 2+ minutes for one possession, score, and then get it back and do the same thing. The shot clock has decreased a player like Baptiste or Ierlan (SIC) impact, which I think is a good thing. No one should be winning FOs at 70%+
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

GSP wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 am Now, Quint, one of Dave's most obsequious boosters
QK has been extremely critical of Petro and the program as a whole over the last several years. Not sure what you're talking about. In fact he's generally accused of anti-Hopkins bias.
Jhu99 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 am Our offense would have no problem if he were in control. Instead we have big dope Bobby, who is possibly one of the worst offensive coaches in the country.
Look I'm as frustrated as anyone and God knows I have had my issues with their personnel decisions, especially on offense, but this is quite the ridiculous statement. Before last year, Hopkins offenses hadn't finished outside the top 15 in scoring since 2012. #12 in 2018, #15 in 2017, #12 in 2016, #9 in 2015, #10 in 2014, #14 in 2013. That may not be elite but that's pretty consistently solid. Not to mention Hop is typically near the top in EMO percentage. Are they leaving points on the field? Sure. Is there untapped potential they're not capitalizing on? Probably. Are some of the personnel decisions head-scratching to those of us on the outside? Most definitely. But "one of the worst offensive coaches in the country"—give me a break.

Having said that, yes, there is clearly something not working right now. The whole thing shouldn't fall apart when your best player is hurt.

On another note—the theme of this year has been "accountability," and yet I have seen neither video nor transcript of this weekend's postgame press conference posted online.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”