Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by Laxgunea »

Would love to hear more analysis. Out of town and had to follow by live feed. The statistics dont tell much of a story. Looks like we took quite a few shots that were not on goal, and that the clears need some work. FO were almost even. But the stat that matters is a really happy one. Was this just a case of better execution? More specifically, how did the D look? Much to learn from this? I am certainly not missing Friday's game.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

I would say we were deeper, faster, more skilled and a lot of our guys just took their man to the hoop and dumped it off. Holden and Herlihy could not be stopped by anyone on the Colgate roster. Knox, Scott, Archer, Mott, Simas, all were able to just dodge and get good looks or after a slide two passes later it was a step down shot and goal. Colgate turned it over a lot. Mostly unforced errors too but we did pressure them pretty well. I would say we outplayed them in all phases except extra man, which kept them in shouting distance until half way through the third.
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

The conference is looking better too. St. Joe's over Providence and Merrimack over Michigan.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Watched the game in the Dome today and this is such a good team, I'm trying to not be too excited because I might jinx them since the season is still early. They made some unforced errors today, but despite that ,this is a very deep and talented team, especially on offense and Sam was fantastic in goal. The Syracuse game should be telling, first one to 20 wins .
Last edited by Bartman on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

LRoggy wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:35 pm The conference is looking better too. St. Joe's over Providence and Merrimack over Michigan.
St. Joe's also beat Delaware and Bryant beat BU.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Though Bryant turned around and lost to Dartmouth today.

Was surprised to see Baltzer spend so much time on the wing today but he did a very nice job.

Other surprise is Yanko who must be slightly injured or something else because he didn’t get in until 5min left in the game.

Loved the activity of a couple of the younger guys, Madonna, Grooms, Herlihy and Baltzer.

Scott played like a consummate 2 way guy. 1 goal (6 shots) , but 3gbs, 2cts and 1 blown up Colgate player.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Happy that the team got the job done. I will always respect a W. If they think they can get away with that many penalties Friday, they will lose by 5. Our man down needs work. Way too many completely open looks leaving Sam out to dry. Herlihy is another great addition from Lincoln Sudbury. I will echo KMartin's and say Simas has a ton of talent but, needs to make better decisions. Ty Yanko should have gotten some PT earlier. Good decisions and skills. Hope Friday will be better than last year's debacle.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s early but out top three point scorers, Holden, Knox & Herlihy are shooting 56%, 60% & 60% with SOG %68%, 72% & 66.7%. That’s 14, 15 & 9 goals. Skip past Archer whom is struggling a bit (14%) but still has 9 pts at 3,6 and you gets Mott and Madonna at 37.5% & 45.5% (SOG % Pt 62.5% & 54.5%-Madonna played very well w 2,2 and looked very spry today but missed the cage a lot).

That’s some shooting.

BTW, Archers 3 assists today puts him at 84 career pts and tied for 20th amongst D1 scorers tied w Chris David (for those who don’t recall or weren’t paying attention David was a athletic gunner midfielder from GTown Prep who played like 04-07 or 05-08). 1pt behind Kevin Curtin at 19th so he’s doing plenty right.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Justin Scott had a couple of dodges today where he put on a burst and ended up in front of the net. Very dangerous guy who seems to be hot and cold. And Mott put himself in position to get a couple today but did not finish. We will need him and Archer to be sharp, they can be big factors in our success this year.

Good to see Mueller get some time but pk got lit up.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

This was my second game at Stiles Field in the bubble and it was great! One of the things you notice being so close to the field is the tremendous athleticism on display and the speed of the game....
I would agree with KMartin that we were just deeper, faster, and more skilled than Colgate. This allowed us to pull away early and keep a fairly good lead for most of the game. The thing that kept them hanging around at all were the penalties. I would say that the officials didn‘t do us any favors there, but it doesn‘t make any difference. We are a heavily penalized team and we are lousy on the kill. If we incur this many penalties against Syracuse we will lose by a ton.
21 goals is a lot. I thought that we were going to score even more than that at one point, but we couldn‘t seem to hit the cage there for awhile and the Colgate goalie made some good saves. We need to cash in on more of those opportunities in the future.
Except for a period in the second quarter I thought that Sam was on fire. He bailed the defense out on many occasions. The defense itself keeps improving, but we will need a better effort on Friday if we are to have any chance at all.
Impressive how many minutes we are getting from our FY players. Baltzer, Herlihy, Romm, Grooms, Shea. All are contributors. I don‘t recall that many FYs getting that much time in the past. Hopefully they won’t have the deer in the headlights syndrome come Friday.
Relatively quiet scoring day from Scott, but he more than made up for it with other aspects of his play. Would like to see a few more goals out of Archer, but he remains the big assist asset out there. Someone mentioned that he is nearing or just passed Chris David in career points. For those who don‘t remember David, he was one of the best midfielders we‘ve had at the DI level. A truly great player.
Would like to point out another player who is playing well. P.J. Delpha. He’s out there all of the time, but you hardly ever notice that he’s there because his game is so solid.
Things to improve on. Clearing. We lost the ball a number of times in the midfield trying to run by players instead of passing the ball. Clean up the penalties/improve on the man down defense.
It will be interesting to see how Syracuse does against Army this afternoon. In general, I think that this is one of the best SU teams I’ve seen in a long time. They are Final Four quality, which does not bode well for us.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Cuse is really good and their top two midfield lines are starting to gel which presents a matchup challenge for us. This could be the weakest defensive core that they’ve had for quite sometime now which works to our advantage.
We don’t need to play perfect but we need to minimize our mistakes & penalties to give us a chance.
On paper they beat us by 7-8 but we don’t play on paper.

I’ll give this team a shooters chance of bringing the K-S trophy back home with them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I thought the man down played great first two hawks, albeit against lesser competition. Got lit up yesterday, but for what it’s worth, it was the first time Sam Mueller player in a while and only on man down. That may have been some rustiness. Doesn’t hurt that they have a shorter week and presumable a physically tough game today.

We do need to keep the PR machine up for Holden and Knox though. IL loves their Mid Atlantic guys but Holden is on pace to surpass last years 67pts (45,22) and is on the early early Class award and Tewaarton lists. Felt like Knox was a few cm from 2-3 more goals yest. Couldn’t believe he crossbarred that one in front of goal, probably to many fakes.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

If you’re watching the SU-Army stream Cuse looks as anemic as Ryan Powell’s color commentary. At first I thought it was Norm McDonald in the booth.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TopShelf585 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm If you’re watching the SU-Army stream Cuse looks as anemic as Ryan Powell’s color commentary. At first I thought it was Norm McDonald in the booth.
You just insulted Norm... RP and the SU announcing crew are homers extraordinaire. May have to watch with the sound off. Hope the Bart faithful has a large presence on Friday. Clean-up the penalties and practice your passes as well as your shots. You'll need it, gentlemen. One game at a time.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:10 pm
TopShelf585 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm If you’re watching the SU-Army stream Cuse looks as anemic as Ryan Powell’s color commentary. At first I thought it was Norm McDonald in the booth.
You just insulted Norm... RP and the SU announcing crew are homers extraordinaire. May have to watch with the sound off. Hope the Bart faithful has a large presence on Friday. Clean-up the penalties and practice your passes as well as your shots. You'll need it, gentlemen. One game at a time.
The announcers for these type of games have to be provided by the school so their definitely going to be biased. I have to say I did enjoy the Hobart feed last year, that main pbp guy was pretty good and he went off on an official for a good 5 min. I watched some of your Colgate game and was happy to see him calling it.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ted Baker has been our PBP man for a while. He's become one of the better "non professionals" out their. I'd take him over a number of the ESPN guys. He does get a bit irate about biased officiating, especially when it is blatant. It would be great if the ACC network put him on to counteract the usual SU guys calling the game.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Hobart Ranked #19 going into the Syracuse game. Same Army team that loses 9-7 to Syracuse Sunday was pummeled 17-9 last Tuesday by 2-1 Marist that looks very good this year (lost to Richmond by 2). Is Syracuse really a #3? We'll see on Friday.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Hopkins forum wants your coach. :D
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Interesting Defensive came in Syracuse over the weekend in a grind it out 9-7 game. Army holds Cuse attack to zero points? Orange D only gives up 7 without Nick Mellens? Syracuse transition does not look as electric as in years past, moving Kennedy to close perhaps reduces the spark , although Helmer looks very good. We should have some interesting match ups dealing with Trimboli who's playing lights out and Dearth who is a monster. Under Peet we would take the air out of the ball and slow the pace to limit Cuse possesions , I'd like to see the Statesmen get out and go , run with these guys deep bench and fresh legs. Shea and Blanchard will have their hands full with Phaup.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Army limited their slides apparently (I didnt catch the game) and played Syracuse fairly straight up. I think our D can do that too, but at the midfield Curry and Trimboli are very fast and they can dish it. They will be able to create some space. How we deal with that will help tell the tale. Syracuse is such a good front running team, although they showed they could come back from behind against Army too, but once they start to feel a little free that is when they can fill it up. Simply have to get some face-offs.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”