Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

No surprise.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

Whole Foods & a retired 60 Minutes investigative producer are gonna save rural America ?
.:roll:. ...I'm sure the locals will be impressed.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://pagesix.com/2018/11/02/alec-bal ... pot-punch/ Ya gotta love Alex and his unique FLP message for spreading peace and love and compassion in this world. Ya get in a disagreement... punch em in the mouth boxing1
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

I so get it. Ever try to find a parking spot in Manhattan?
DMac

Post by DMac »

I get what you're saying, A, but this guy is a hot headed jerk (have dealt with him, a major hot headed egomaniac, as is his brother Daniel...got a mighty long rap sheet to prove it)
cradleandshoot wrote
Ya gotta love Alex
Alec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vjEnkQdaHM
;)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Only A- holes drive in Manhattan. Take the train or subway. Or a cab. Or walk. What kind of car does Baldwin drive? A prius , for the climate, for sure. And yet, he climbed into the back of a car that gets 10mpg when leaving the cop station.

Honey....it's ONLY the hypocrites.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:Only A- holes drive in Manhattan. Take the train or subway. Or a cab. Or walk. What kind of car does Baldwin drive? A prius , for the climate, for sure. And yet, he climbed into the back of a car that gets 10mpg when leaving the cop station.

Honey....it's ONLY the hypocrites.
http://insider.foxnews.com/amp/article/48799
“I wish you would!”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Democrats Are So, So Bad at This

"Two years into the Trump presidency, the prominent Democrats who are called upon most frequently to speak on the party’s behalf about our many national crises—Pelosi, Schumer, other high-ranking legislators, the officials and surrogates of the Democratic National Committee—seem congenitally incapable of communicating in a way that is not beside the point and laden with clichés. This is in and of itself not totally crippling to the party’s electoral chances—there’s a lot that goes into messaging besides catchy sound bites. The toothlessness of establishment Dems is even somewhat understandable, given the way Pelosi, Schumer, and others came of age in an era in which the deployment of cautious, folksy rhetoric was a winning strategy. But it seems at least worth considering that, in 2018, being more direct, more aggressive, and more not-world-historically-lame—being, say, more like Florida gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum, who concisely and virally said during a debate with his opponent Ron DeSantis that “I’m not calling Mr. DeSantis a racist. I’m simply saying the racists believe he’s a racist”—could help the party rally supporters, establish a rapport with new voters, frame news coverage in advantageous ways, and, like, actually win elections for once."

Yes, their messaging is bad.

Yes, more left-leaning policy is a winner...it needs a PROPER message...

Time for the D establishment to GO.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

How Far Have the Democrats Moved to the Left?

"Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez get lots of attention, but the most significant shift is among voters, not candidates."

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

https://blackagendareport.com/fascism-r ... ostly-fake

So, where have all the anti-fascists been hiding, the last 50 years, as Black America was methodically tortured, destabilized and dismembered by the State? Did they cry “fascist” when Barack Obama broke all records in deporting undocumented people? Of course not -- no fascism there. They denounce Trump’s anti-Muslim tirades, but did they mobilize an anti-war movement to halt Obama’s proxy jihadist war against Syria that has left half a million dead? No, instead they applaud Trump when he bombs Syria and condemn Russia for defending a sovereign state from unprovoked attack by the U.S. and its allies. Do they care about international law? Never heard of it. They are not upset that the U.S. spent $5 billion to overthrow an elected government and install actual Nazis in power in Ukraine -- after which Hillary Clinton had the nerve to call Putin “Hitler.” No, the “resistance” is mad at the Russians for…everything.

ICDIT
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote:Democrats Are So, So Bad at This

"Two years into the Trump presidency, the prominent Democrats who are called upon most frequently to speak on the party’s behalf about our many national crises—Pelosi, Schumer, other high-ranking legislators, the officials and surrogates of the Democratic National Committee—seem congenitally incapable of communicating in a way that is not beside the point and laden with clichés. This is in and of itself not totally crippling to the party’s electoral chances—there’s a lot that goes into messaging besides catchy sound bites. The toothlessness of establishment Dems is even somewhat understandable, given the way Pelosi, Schumer, and others came of age in an era in which the deployment of cautious, folksy rhetoric was a winning strategy. But it seems at least worth considering that, in 2018, being more direct, more aggressive, and more not-world-historically-lame—being, say, more like Florida gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum, who concisely and virally said during a debate with his opponent Ron DeSantis that “I’m not calling Mr. DeSantis a racist. I’m simply saying the racists believe he’s a racist”—could help the party rally supporters, establish a rapport with new voters, frame news coverage in advantageous ways, and, like, actually win elections for once."

Why does the D establichement need to go? Perhaps, b/c, they are VERY similar to the CONservatives.

Yeah....THAT stupid taats thing. It must hurt to agree with me......
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

As right wingers always say, more guns means a safer society. This means we shall all be safer thanks to those lefties and to these folks:

Let's have all forum right wingers applaud.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Its not about labelling people left or right.

Some "Left-wingers" agree that more guns means a a safer society too.

Speaking of which, there is a democrat here in deep blue MD with a new campaign ad.

What do think, Brookie?

Last edited by thatsmell on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Rise? I am the armed "left" and have been for decades. Not surprised, the second largest armed insurrection....IGNORED....by the pretend intelligentsia at laughable "news" sources like the nytimes.

" which side are you on boys....which side are you on "

PBS would NEVER run a workers rights documentary on something as historically significant as the Battle of Blair mountain.

Armed LEFT......history anyone? yawn Pats won. Gronk didn't play......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dislaxxic wrote:Democrats Are So, So Bad at This

I agree about the old Dem elite needing to be put out to pasture (ala the Clintons), as they personify an arthritic sense of power and privilege and elitism. I agree that they need to elevate more youthful leadership who personify quite the opposite message. (Bernie needs to 'retire' from prominence too, IMO)

But I'm not so sure the Dem party should move significantly more ideologically 'left' in its policy preferences and prescriptions. Sure, locally an Ocasio-Cortez type can win in specific districts. But there's a whole lot of others where she would lose overwhelmingly. Too many to take the Senate or White House, much less both with that brand of progressivism.

We don't know yet whether O'Rourke will pull off a stunning upset in Texas, but I'd suggest that his persona and policy set would have a heck of a lot higher likely success nationally than hers. Both have star quality charisma, and are terrific at communicating, but one would put off moderate voters as too extreme/too risky, the other, definitely a progressive but moderate in tone, would not.

To push an overly aggressive left leaning message on a national level is to greatly increase the risk of falling short of winning the White House and the Senate.

I'm rooting for the Dem candidates for Gov in Florida and Georgia, who I think are both very talented messengers (Gillum has star quality; she's got a ton of substance), but primarily as a rebuke of the GOP and the trolls they've put forward.

I'd like to see the GOP eventually wake up from being in thrall to Trumpism and compete for the emerging demographics of America with its own set of younger, qualified, socially open, fiscally conservative, moderate in tone candidates.

But I don't think we'll see much of that until post 2020, at best.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

thatsmell wrote:Its not about labelling people left or right.

Some "Left-wingers" agree that more guns means a a safer sociuety too.

Speaking of which, there is a democrat here in deep blue MD with a new campaign ad.

What do think, Brookie?

Why is the healtcare industry donating so much more money to his opponent, Republican Harris? $71k to $380k funny, interesting....yawn

https://www.opensecrets.org/races/secto ... D01&spec=N
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:
Rise? I am the armed "left" and have been for decades. Not surprised, the second largest armed insurrection....IGNORED....by the pretend intelligentsia at laughable "news" sources like the nytimes.

" which side are you on boys....which side are you on "

PBS would NEVER run a workers rights documentary on something as historically significant as the Battle of Blair mountain.

Armed LEFT......history anyone? yawn Pats won. Gronk didn't play......
You were at Matewan, Fatty?
You're a lot older than I supposed.

Why are you whining about PBS doing a documentary; didn't the film Matewan do a tremendous job of telling the story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matewan

If you're just saying that it deserves greater attention, I'd agree.
The film, which apparently had a small distribution and total box office, blew me away when I saw it in Boston in 1987.
Terrifically well acted and directed, presumably the topic wasn't exactly the uplifting sort of historical drama that makes big box office.

But very well worth tracking down and watching.
EDIT: I just checked on Netflix and Amazon, but didn't find it...but lots of documentaries and other movies covering the topic. Blood on the Mountain, Mine Wars (PBS), Salt of the Earth...maybe Hulu etc
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Umm.....not even close to the point I was making. The battle of Blair Mountain would NOT have been able to happen if the coal miners didn't have firearms.

And the movie you mentioned is about as "factual" as Sly Stallones "fist" movie.

gee.....who was President when it was taken of the National Historic list?

https://tclf.org/battle-blair-mountain- ... eing-waged
Last edited by runrussellrun on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”