Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:03 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:48 am
Greeley - however - did not just collapse against Navy. I was there. He was near midfield and a Navy player tried to lob a clearing pass over his head and he jumped and actually stabbed the pass with only one hand on the stick and came down wrong on the same knee. The other thing about Greeley was - since his original injury was at the Lake Placid summer deal - probably about 7 to 8 months past his injury when they played Navy since it was late in the season (Hopkins had just lost to Maryland the week before). He also had a real knee brace on - not an amped compression sleeve. While you can debate whether 7-8 months is enough time for an ACL I guess - one figures or hopes ALOT of medical thought went into that one.
You recall this a lot better than I do. I just remember that he went down even though nobody had touched him. But still it was a non-contact re-injury, a bit different from RGIII since Greeley was jumping up and I think RGIII was just running back after the snap. Having said that I saw Greeley take some pretty nasty hits before his injury so he was a pretty tough guy. Knee injuries just make me really nervous and I'd honestly rather see Epstein sit then take unnecessary risks with this.
I was never a big Greeley fan. From day 1 I never saw what all the hype was about. I also believe he was highly prone to knee injuries. Some kids are, whether they are athletic in other ways or not. Sure he was a nice kid, but he was a program mistake in my opinion.
typical douche comment from 72... he didn't like Greeley cause he was a Cuse native
molo

Post by molo »

Wombat, was your question about whether Epstein took himself out or “they” took him out? From where I was sitting, based on the body language and more than 40 years as a father and counselor with a large chunk of those years spent as a coach, it was a caring coach comforting an injured player who clearly wanted to play and telling him he needed to come out for his own safety. Like Petro or not, he looked sincere and supportive while telling a competitor he needed to pack it in for the day.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

My final thought on Greeley - from his freshmen year to sophomore year he went from 8 points to 26 points. Fairly easy math on the percentage improvement. I would kill for all Hopkins midfielders to show that rate.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:lol:
tech37 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:38 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:03 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:48 am
Greeley - however - did not just collapse against Navy. I was there. He was near midfield and a Navy player tried to lob a clearing pass over his head and he jumped and actually stabbed the pass with only one hand on the stick and came down wrong on the same knee. The other thing about Greeley was - since his original injury was at the Lake Placid summer deal - probably about 7 to 8 months past his injury when they played Navy since it was late in the season (Hopkins had just lost to Maryland the week before). He also had a real knee brace on - not an amped compression sleeve. While you can debate whether 7-8 months is enough time for an ACL I guess - one figures or hopes ALOT of medical thought went into that one.
You recall this a lot better than I do. I just remember that he went down even though nobody had touched him. But still it was a non-contact re-injury, a bit different from RGIII since Greeley was jumping up and I think RGIII was just running back after the snap. Having said that I saw Greeley take some pretty nasty hits before his injury so he was a pretty tough guy. Knee injuries just make me really nervous and I'd honestly rather see Epstein sit then take unnecessary risks with this.
I was never a big Greeley fan. From day 1 I never saw what all the hype was about. I also believe he was highly prone to knee injuries. Some kids are, whether they are athletic in other ways or not. Sure he was a nice kid, but he was a program mistake in my opinion.
typical douche comment from 72... he didn't like Greeley cause he was a Cuse native
:lol: :lol: - Yeah that's it. The kid was over rated. Get over your hometown elitism.
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:27 pm Wombat, was your question about whether Epstein took himself out or “they” took him out? From where I was sitting, based on the body language and more than 40 years as a father and counselor with a large chunk of those years spent as a coach, it was a caring coach comforting an injured player who clearly wanted to play and telling him he needed to come out for his own safety. Like Petro or not, he looked sincere and supportive while telling a competitor he needed to pack it in for the day.
Not to mention Petro said it pretty clearly in the postgame press conference—he was benched for ineffectiveness and "pressing," trying to, in Petro's words, "fit an entire offseason into one game." Joey was clearly anxious to get out there but his body wasn't quite up to speed. No chance it was a player decision, though being a team first guy and a captain, I'm sure he understood why it needed to happen, as frustrating as it may have been for him personally.

Zinn is on pace to go from 9 pts to 48 if we play 16 games this year. That would be All-American territory for a midfielder. Of course that's a difficult pace to continue and Epstein will surely account for a lot of production if/when he (hopefully) returns healthy but there are a few reasons why it's far from impossible: 1) His shooting, I believe, is likely to improve over the course of the season 2) Still just 2 games into his career as a starter, he's really only scratched the surface of his potential.

Have to like the emergence of Degnon there as well. Those two and DeSimone have played well in Epstein's absence—need more contributions from Murphy, Baskin, Angelus, Mabbett types especially with Concannon out and it goes without saying Williams can't go double bagel again.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:40 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:20 pm I was never a big Greeley fan. From day 1 I never saw what all the hype was about. I also believe he was highly prone to knee injuries. Some kids are, whether they are athletic in other ways or not. Sure he was a nice kid, but he was a program mistake in my opinion.
"Highly prone to knee injuries"—what does this even mean? Have you examined his knee yourself?

If that even is true, how can you then turn around and say you're "not a fan" and that he was a "program mistake" if there was some underlying medical issue that no one could have predicted when he committed? I won't need to remind you that he was one of the top ranked recruits coming out of high school and picked Hopkins over pretty much his choice of top-tier D1 programs. Syracuse, UNC, Duke, etc. would have been thrilled at the chance to make that same "program mistake."

Not all top recruits pan out for a variety of reasons—obviously injuries had a little something to do with this instance. Even with the injuries he still finished with 65 career points as a midfielder, over 16 per season while being in and out of the lineup and probably never at close to 100%. Disappointing given the giant expectations but not exactly a mistake.

The language some of you use to talk about unpaid student athletes who gave their all for your alma mater and weathered several major injuries to put up decent point totals...grosses me out.
No. It was an observation based on a lot more years associated with lacrosse than you! Some kids have knee problems that are chronic. To me, Greeley looked like one. I have personal experience with such. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Have to like the emergence of Degnon there as well. Those two and DeSimone have played well in Epstein's absence—need more contributions from Murphy, Baskin, Angelus, Mabbett types especially with Concannon out and it goes without saying Williams can't go double bagel again.
[/quote]

We need more N and S kids to move the defense. We got them...use them
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 pm
But anyone calling up the name of LaxFi to attack me is a real low life ankle biter. Despite whatever you think you know, the spirit of LaxFi was to cultivate the in real life personal relationships. The message board is just a domain. Real life is what matters. Using his very name to attack someone in my opinion is using his name in vain, and represents the exact opposite of what he was all about.

W
Yup. I know- I'm a few pages late, but I'm trying to catch up with the new season and just saw this. Wombat, LaxFi and I go back quite a ways- probably close to 25 years. The days of Swami and the Big Boyz and vast amounts of foolishness and good times in the parking lots of Final Fours. Just had to say that Wombat has nailed this one. RIP, Rob. :cry:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lol. Just an FYI LaxFi were friends of very long standingX I remember meeting Ivan at his house.

I know you Wombat. LaxFi kicked you to the curb. So have a number of others. I remember the day DP came into the stands to chat with you. You were furious. It was not all grins. You bitched about it for years. You are just that compulsive.

I met LaxFi when we were undergrads and we were friends longer than you even knew who he was.

As for lawpower I was pretty close to an original and for a time the business manager. I don’t meet LaxFi on LaxPower I knew him in real life, saw him almost daily for
several years.

So I will say the same thing to you he did. I don’t want to hear anymore of your BS.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Wombat did capture an aspect of Bob. It’s why he kicked him to the curb.

O and I once sat in Swami’s chair in his office. I had a good friend who worked with him
Last edited by OCanada on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

+1
Wombat wrote
Real life is what matters
Yes, and in real life LaxFi wanted nothing to do with you and I can tell you that with 100% certainty. We low life ankle biters speak the truth.
(Am glad you came on, OC, was going to do it for you but thought better of it.)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You are both wrong on lots of accounts, and if you want to keep this up, I will reveal all.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Please stop you are embarrassing your self. He and I were fiends going back long before you ever knew he existed. Maybe we can rope the previous Moderator into it. You have trashed him often. I am sure he feels warmly about you too
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't need you to reveal anything for me, I spoke with LaxFi pretty regularly right up to his last days. He thought you were an aszhole and wanted to have nothing to do with you. You can make up all the stories you want at this point but you're not going to BS all of us.
Big game today, eh?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

First, let me know what “friends” you think I’ve lost, and then I’ll tell you whether I thought they were real friends in the first place. By you two’s own behavior - you are showing the real value of relationships based on message boards.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Isn’t this the thread that recently posted that the players visit to read opinions?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am Isn’t this the thread that recently posted that the players visit to read opinions?
They do on occasion (coaches do too, actually), but it's mostly for entertainment purposes, and perhaps a bit of morbid curiosity.

Weather at game time will be high 40s—chance to hit 50—and sunny. About as good as you can hope for mid February. Hope some of you will be in attendance. Should be a decent crowd, especially with the Navy-Maryland came now postponed.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ivyman wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:32 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 pm
But anyone calling up the name of LaxFi to attack me is a real low life ankle biter. Despite whatever you think you know, the spirit of LaxFi was to cultivate the in real life personal relationships. The message board is just a domain. Real life is what matters. Using his very name to attack someone in my opinion is using his name in vain, and represents the exact opposite of what he was all about.

W
Yup. I know- I'm a few pages late, but I'm trying to catch up with the new season and just saw this. Wombat, LaxFi and I go back quite a ways- probably close to 25 years. The days of Swami and the Big Boyz and vast amounts of foolishness and good times in the parking lots of Final Fours. Just had to say that Wombat has nailed this one. RIP, Rob. :cry:
Awesome Guys :!: :!: :!:

Another year, unfortunately without LaxFi.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:47 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am Isn’t this the thread that recently posted that the players visit to read opinions?
They do on occasion (coaches do too, actually), but it's mostly for entertainment purposes, and perhaps a bit of morbid curiosity.

Weather at game time will be high 40s—chance to hit 50—and sunny. About as good as you can hope for mid February. Hope some of you will be in attendance. Should be a decent crowd, especially with the Navy-Maryland came now postponed.
Looking forward to seeing the first test for UNC. I am wondering if their top middie is back. Enjoy the game. Good lacrosse weekend!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:50 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:47 am

Looking forward to seeing the first test for UNC. I am wondering if their top middie is back. Enjoy the game. Good lacrosse weekend!
I hope it is a test for UNC. Last year was a battle and I was proud of the grit the Jays showed then, but this year they are minus Foley and Epstein while UNC has added Chris Gray, whom I believe capable of surprising those who contend that ACC defenses will bring his gaudy numbers back to earth.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”