D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by The Orfling »

Three key stats for Maryland:
EMO 1 For 4 {CORRECTED}
Clears 13 of 18 (Nova 17-18)
Turnovers 21 (Nova 13)
Last edited by The Orfling on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:50 pm Three key stats for Maryland:
EMO 1 For 8
Turnovers 21 (Nova 13)
EMO is actually 1 for 4 according to the box score.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

EMO 1 For 8
Turnovers 21 (Nova 13)
Nova's stat site went down at the start of the fourth quarter. The Terps had 16 TOs entering the 4th. I think they had more than 5 in the 4th quarter. Messy, messy, messy game. Lots of dropped passes and airmailed passes. Real head scratching performance. Love that they never give up and never feel like they're out of a game, but...man...getting down the way they did against Nova...eeesh....
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Nova's Michael Corrado post-game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhuTLjmixE8

John Tillman post-game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSLkD6rRYQw
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm
EMO 1 For 8
Turnovers 21 (Nova 13)
I stand corrected.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:13 pm Score looked better than it was. Same story, except this time the freshmen were not there to save the day. Not unexpected on a Tuesday road game, and Villanova can beat anybody, but the defensive players' ballhandling continues to be atrocious.

That said, Villanova is a very talented team and deserved the win.
It was something, wasn't it? Maltz struggled in finishing. He had 3 missed shots on the doorstep including a one-on-one with Vitton (who played really, really well). Threw 3 stick fakes and missed the open net. Vitton baited Terp shooters all night. The Terps just couldn't get any rhythm. The turnovers were as contagious as the Coronavirus. Long was bobbling balls all night. Showed his rust from not playing until this past Saturday. Nova shut Jared off on that final play, and Bubba threw a close-range and low bullet to DeMaio coming around with his right hand. Fitting that they turned it over on the final play.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:16 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm
EMO 1 For 8
Turnovers 21 (Nova 13)
I stand corrected.
Easy mistake since they turned it over 3 times on the EMO. That's what you probably remembered....as did I...

Post by 127205020 »

“We battled, we fought, fourth quarter the kids played [their] hearts out,” Tillman said. “We just gotta play cleaner, gotta play smarter, gotta play more efficiently, but just more turnovers than I can remember in a long time.”

TRUTH, I was there, couldn't believe my eyes . . .

https://dbknews.com/2020/02/18/maryland ... lls-short/
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I have never loved (in basketball as well as lacrosse) the late timeout to plan the last shot even when it seems like an organic good look out of transition is about to happen. Too often, it seems like the defense can prevent a good shot if the amount of time is short enough. However, I will cheerfully admit that is results-oriented; if Bernhardt and Co. had scored I wouldn’t give it another thought or I’d praise the coaching foresight.

Thrilling last five minutes, that’s for sure.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Pictures of Brandau stopping the ball with his face mask

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8v5RVSBho6 ... tv5fn743a5
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Didn't get to watch the game at all, what cause the run of 3 goals to put us down 5 in 4Q? TOs? FO issues? The botched clears? None of the above, just good goals?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

ckstevenson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 am Didn't get to watch the game at all, what cause the run of 3 goals to put us down 5 in 4Q? TOs? FO issues? The botched clears? None of the above, just good goals?
Calderone did a good job; we didn't lose because of face-offs. We had a lots of turnovers that seemed to lead to goals. Offensive passing was uncharacteristically sloppy, but a consistent story this season is a d middie scooping up a ground ball and then getting it poked out of their stick for a turnover.

This game was going to be difficult no matter what. Tuesday night on the road against a good, somewhat desperate team (with the Terps following a dramatic win just a few days ago). But so far it is a consistent script similar to the basketball team earlier this season, where they don't really show up until the end of the game. Not really a concern yet, as Tillman's teams seem to make a big improvement after spring break.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I was unhappy on finding the broadcast of the game was on a pay network for Villanova. I didn't pay it.

Now, I am sort of feeling good that I didn't see the game. Sort of the "out of sight, out of mind" thing - and just move on.

Navy is coming up on Saturday in Byrd (Maryland) stadium. Navy lost 12-9 to Richmond yesterday. Hopefully, the Terps can rise up an win this one.
Live Free or Die!
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

So I paid the $10 and really the score doesnt indicate how out of character the Terps were today. Lots of missed scoring opportunities. Another bad start. Turnovers like I haven't seen.

But---lots of character coming back. A stupendous goal by Fairman at crunch time. Logan becoming a great distributor. Calderone more then held his own.

Too many 50-50 balls went to Nova. And yes Nova played with a sense of desperation and it was probably why they won.
3-1 isn't hateful and Tils will get this turnover situation straightened.out.

On the funny side, the 2 Nova announcers took home town rooting to a new level. The lead guy was actually screaming whenever Nova scored. But he did praise Rambo (a Philly guy) the entire game and he did point how Maryland was robbed of a final four appearance last year on the no goal-goal.
Check out terptalk.com tonight at 6PM to hear all of our commentary on the game.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BTN+ is now listing Saturday game with Navy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland Announces National Broadcast Schedule
The Terps will play at least five games on TV this season, with matchups against North Carolina (ACC Network), Penn State (Big Ten Network), Michigan (ESPNU), Ohio State (Big Ten Network) and Johns Hopkins (ESPNU) all appearing on national television.

Maryland could possibly play a sixth regular season game on television when UMD hosts Virginia on Saturday, March 14. In the event Ohio State hosts an ice hockey semifinal on Sunday, March 15 instead of Saturday, March 14, the game will air on Big Ten Network. Otherwise, the game will be streamed via BTN
Sad that not all the Big Ten games are not going to be aired on the network
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

ACC Network is not “national” quite yet as Comcast does not carry the channel. I’ve searched my channel guide with no luck here in MD.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Seahawk wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:21 am ACC Network is not “national” quite yet as Comcast does not carry the channel. I’ve searched my channel guide with no luck here in MD.
ACCN is national, it's just that not all cable providers are willing to pay for the channel.

I will agree with anyone who says they're disappointed with the BTN coverage. ACCN isn't everywhere but generally has two games a week, with several Friday games.

Also BTN, throw games on the three non-HD channels you have! Have the student broadcasters do the games (they're generally very good).
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

ckstevenson wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 am I will agree with anyone who says they're disappointed with the BTN coverage. ACCN isn't everywhere but generally has two games a week, with several Friday games.
You won't agree with me then. I have been quite happy with BTN's coverage this February. Last February, they had mostly just the Rutgers and UMd home games on BTN+, but this year they have had just about every BigTen home game. $14.95 is not a bad price for such a large number of games, and you get replays when you want.
I admit that for a fan of an OOC team, wanting really just to watch the 1 game with their team in it, the price is a little steep - but you can reduce to $9.95 by just going for the 1 Big Ten team that they are playing - which is no different than what Villanova was charging for the Terp game on Tuesday.

One of the positives of BTN+ is that you can get games in areas where BTN is not available. Unfortunately, you don't get the BTN broadcast games with BTN+. Another thing I noticed last Spring, that BTN broadcasts were not available over the web when I signed in to xfinity.

Of course, we get the one BTN game this month (Yale at PSU) tomorrow. I think I will put the PSU game on TV, and have the Maryland game on my laptop.

It would be nice, if they made the BTN broadcast games available live on BTN+, then if you lived in an area without BTN, you could shell out your $14.95 a month and watch all the games.
Live Free or Die!
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Cooter wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:55 am
ckstevenson wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 am I will agree with anyone who says they're disappointed with the BTN coverage. ACCN isn't everywhere but generally has two games a week, with several Friday games.
You won't agree with me then. I have been quite happy with BTN's coverage this February. Last February, they had mostly just the Rutgers and UMd home games on BTN+, but this year they have had just about every BigTen home game. $14.95 is not a bad price for such a large number of games, and you get replays when you want.
I admit that for a fan of an OOC team, wanting really just to watch the 1 game with their team in it, the price is a little steep - but you can reduce to $9.95 by just going for the 1 Big Ten team that they are playing - which is no different than what Villanova was charging for the Terp game on Tuesday.

One of the positives of BTN+ is that you can get games in areas where BTN is not available. Unfortunately, you don't get the BTN broadcast games with BTN+. Another thing I noticed last Spring, that BTN broadcasts were not available over the web when I signed in to xfinity.

Of course, we get the one BTN game this month (Yale at PSU) tomorrow. I think I will put the PSU game on TV, and have the Maryland game on my laptop.

It would be nice, if they made the BTN broadcast games available live on BTN+, then if you lived in an area without BTN, you could shell out your $14.95 a month and watch all the games.
Well I and the predecessor comment solely referenced BTN, not BTN+. That's different.

Your comment/s on BTN proper are similar to what I and the other person wrote, BTN's lacrosse coverage is lacking.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”