Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:15 pm When Foley missed the '17 season I heard it was a tiny bit more than straight academics and it seems the narrative plays out well that the staff stood by him - otherwise why come back to that program? If Petro et al. threw him under the bus - he would have plied his trade at virtually any program. If Wombat is trying to suggest that the reason a 5th year didn't work out is actions taken or not taken by the HC - I have zero idea. I always assumed the NCAA took a literal interpretation of the rules at the time which was since he played in the fall of '16 he had used up a year of eligibility.

Reading between the lines of the Inside Lacrosse article on Rapine - this was clearly a long simmering issue. Without looking at it - how did they put it - "participation in fall activities meaningfully reduced" or something like that. Then he come back from the winter and is dismissed from or leaves the team. Says to me - he really didn't buy what Petro was selling for this year and they had enough of each other.
Quick question to the forum:

In the context of the new rules regarding scrimmages and eligibility (as I understand them), and Rapine graduating from Hopkins this year, can he play a final year as a graduate student at another Division I program?

Thanks.

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Not sure. Does it matter? Was he that good where he could show up next year after taking a year off and contribut?
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

.....contribute
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 pm Foley was out for one reason.....NCAA regulations. Why you guys try to look into this and try or hope to create some sort of theory that that there was tension amongst the team or player and coach is funny.
I think you’re missing the point. We all know why he was out the speculation is why isn’t he back this year when it has been alleged he got his year back.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

He did not get his year back. It was absolutely taken from the NCAA.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mightyjoe wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:08 pm He did not get his year back. It was absolutely taken from the NCAA.
This is not true.

Again, nothing salacious—but this is not exactly what happened.
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:56 pm In the context of the new rules regarding scrimmages and eligibility (as I understand them), and Rapine graduating from Hopkins this year, can he play a final year as a graduate student at another Division I program?
If he wants to, I don't see why not. I think it would fall within the rules and some program would probably be happy to have him. My guess however is that he gets his degree and then heads to Wall Street or wherever else they all tend to end up.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Tell me, what exactly did happen then? While you’re at it, tell me where you are getting your information.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

I’m referring to Foley
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I don't know anyone on the band. I never knew the band people. Just thought if redacted deserves a video so do they.

In honor of WOMBAT. FOLEY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Is it ok if I continue to hate the band?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hey All, longtime first time on this board.

I heard something about Coach P being in the last year of his contract. He’s getting a bit up there and been at the helm for a while now. Has there been any discussion here about whether they should renew him further or look for a replacement? You guys thinking about that at all here or just focused on the IL HS rankings and kid colors?

Thanks, Mgt
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

PeopleAreTalking
PeopleAreTalking
73E754AF-DAFC-416D-BF3F-BA2DBBF87752.jpeg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

SNAFU FUBAR
SNAFU FUBAR
F545EEA6-D27E-43A8-A4A7-EE38285CC8EF.jpeg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm There are two stories that hopefully will come to light at some point, maybe after all the dust is settled.

Foley

Rapine

Each are far different, and rather interesting.
While I have no information on either situation, I do know that losing you're Number One defenseman before the season starts is not good.
I suspect we will feel the pain of that loss acutely in the next three weeks.
Still not at all sold on the goalie situation. Clears are an adventure. When you're the key man of the defense, just ok is not OK.
Rushing Epstein back is a mistake. I don't care what the trainers say. The Trainers cleared RGIII to play, when anyone watching him play could see he was shaky. The coach should have gotten him off the field, instead he basically derailed the kid's career. Let JE rest and recuperated and come back when he's ready rather than rush him into practice, rush him back onto the field, let him get re-injured, and then you never get him back. I'd be super cautious with any kind of a knee injury.
I predict that Hop fans will be happy this Memorial Day weekend, or happy June 1, one or the other this year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am The coach should have gotten him off the field, instead he basically derailed the kid's career.
Ok this is getting ridiculous. "Derailed the kid's career"—what on earth are you talking about? The kid played the first quarter, touched the ball twice maybe three times (he actually should have had an assist had Baskin finished a feed on the doorstep), and when it was apparent he wasn't right, they took him out and he didn't return.

At the risk of sounding like OC—you're not at the practices, you've got no clue how Joey was looking in the week leading up to the game. He practiced all week, and they prepared to have him all week. It wasn't a last minute decision. They expected to have him. The doctors actually cleared him two weeks ago before Towson but they erred on the side of caution for that one. Of course, hindsight is 2020, it didn't work out as planned, so they adjusted. That happens in sports. No career has been derailed. Everyone take a deep breath.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:23 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am The coach should have gotten him off the field, instead he basically derailed the kid's career.
Ok this is getting ridiculous. "Derailed the kid's career"—what on earth are you talking about? The kid played the first quarter, touched the ball twice maybe three times (he actually should have had an assist had Baskin finished a feed on the doorstep), and when it was apparent he wasn't right, they took him out and he didn't return.

At the risk of sounding like OC—you're not at the practices, you've got no clue how Joey was looking in the week leading up to the game. He practiced all week, and they prepared to have him all week. It wasn't a last minute decision. They expected to have him. The doctors actually cleared him two weeks ago before Towson but they erred on the side of caution for that one. Of course, hindsight is 2020, it didn't work out as planned, so they adjusted. That happens in sports. No career has been derailed. Everyone take a deep breath.
I wonder if that part of the quote was referring to RGIII?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

cltlax wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am

Ah, yes, see that now, apologies Sagittarius assuming that's the case.

Still, not really sure how the RGIII situation is remotely relevant—very different sport, very different injury.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm There are two stories that hopefully will come to light at some point, maybe after all the dust is settled.

Foley

Rapine

Each are far different, and rather interesting.
While I have no information on either situation, I do know that losing you're Number One defenseman before the season starts is not good.
I suspect we will feel the pain of that loss acutely in the next three weeks.
Give the younger guys a chance. Sincerely, Mr. Optimism
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

cltlax wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am

Yes, I was referring to RGIII, who ended up in Baltimore after being out of football for a year.
Knee injury + Contact Sport = Take it Easy.
I remember John Greeley years ago trying to come back from a knee injury. He was playing against NAVY and he just collapsed during the game. It was similar to RGIII.
Knee injuries are nothing to fool with. Knees, ankles, don't heal so well unless you stay off them. I'm sure Joey wants to play, but someone has to be the voice of reason. I would let him rest, rehab, stay off the field until he's 100%. If he starts and you have to pull him back out again, he wasn't near %100.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm one of the tougher posters but foley and rapine are no longer part of the program and I've moved on. I saw a few unc previews, but if we're going to win tomorrow what will it take to get us back on track+what weaknesses does unc have?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”