Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by nyjay »

I hope the tweet was the usual motivational coach speak and nothing more. But while it's not exactly new, there has been an awful lot of "buy-in" talk this year and a fair amount of passive aggressive finger pointing, including the radio interview that wasn't entirely complimentary of last year's leadership group. And when that's combined your coach being on the last year of his contract and having a three year starter leave the program weeks before the season start (which, let's be honest, is really not a good look for anyone), it leads me to believe that all might not be well in Cordish. How many of the guys on the team were happy to see Rapine go? How many are angry/resentful that it came to that? With that background and given the general lack of transparency around the program (which to be fair, isn't unreasonable given that they're college kids and it's a niche sport) and the fact I don't have any inside information, I do tend to be an amateur Kremlinologist. So the tweet, including the lead in that it was sent to him by one of the players, seemed to fit with the prior data points.

Hope I'm wrong and everyone is one big happy family poised for a big win against UNC and a solid year, but I'm more than a little worried.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

There are two stories that hopefully will come to light at some point, maybe after all the dust is settled.

Foley

Rapine

Each are far different, and rather interesting.
Bluejay-Fan

Post by Bluejay-Fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:02 pm BTW - '06 and maybe Wombat just got a wish - maybe not the one they were hoping for but (sorry I can't post the link right now) the latest Homewood Stories video is about the Pep Band
Here you go: "We've been singled out as the best band in college lacrosse," - Irv Litofsky '69

To highlight 1 of the many unique aspects of Blue Jay lacrosse, in this week's #HomewoodTales Irv + Cathy Litofsky help tell the story of the JHU Band!

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 3545956352

lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Thanks for this!! I’ve read many comments about the band but never knew the history.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Disappointed in Bloomberg's showing tonight nm
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

But oddly enough its ghost still appears in your posts.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 pm Disappointed in Bloomberg's showing tonight nm
We can hope he stops wasting his money on everything except for his largess to JHU.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Make Hopkins Great Again
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:25 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 pm Disappointed in Bloomberg's showing tonight nm
We can hope he stops wasting his money on everything except for his largess to JHU.

'twas ugly for Mike.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Build the wall!!

of defense

and make Maryland pay for it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm There are two stories that hopefully will come to light at some point, maybe after all the dust is settled.

Foley

Rapine

Nobody going to bite on this? I’ve certainly heard rumblings about both situations that reflect more poorly on the staff than players. Let’s go Wombat spill it! :lol:
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Which situation with Foley? His leaving school in what would have been his sophomore season or not receiving an extension? If the former what I have been told does NOT match the staff narrative at all.
My guess is there are two widely different representations depending upon your source for both players - probably both have kernels of truth/accuracy
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:33 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm There are two stories that hopefully will come to light at some point, maybe after all the dust is settled.

Foley

Rapine

Nobody going to bite on this? I’ve certainly heard rumblings about both situations that reflect more poorly on the staff than players. Let’s go Wombat spill it! :lol:
As far as Foley, I thought it was known he didn't take care of academics and had to sit then was denied by the NCAA to return for a 5th year? I guess there is more to it? Anyone?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Foley

Rapine

As far as Foley, I thought it was known he didn't take care of academics and had to sit then was denied by the NCAA to return for a 5th year? I guess there is more to it? Anyone?
That's why he had to sit in 2017, but his not returning for a 5th/grad year had nothing to do with academics. The story will probably come out at some point. It's not exactly salacious so don't get your hopes up.

"HomeSlyce" is giving away free tickets to the UNC game today apparently for those in the area. I know some consider it sacrilege to go there ever since it took over the space that used to be PJ's. Yes PJ's was an institution but I for one will not really miss it. The food was good but it always smelled like it was a public restroom (which, arguably, it was).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm That's why he had to sit in 2017, but his not returning for a 5th/grad year had nothing to do with academics. The story will probably come out at some point. It's not exactly salacious so don't get your hopes up.

"HomeSlyce" is giving away free tickets to the UNC game today apparently for those in the area. I know some consider it sacrilege to go there ever since it took over the space that used to be PJ's. Yes PJ's was an institution but I for one will not really miss it. The food was good but it always smelled like it was a public restroom (which, arguably, it was).
did he apply for a redshirt and if yay, was it granted?
only curious in light of the nc$$ ruling. before they changed the rule (after he had already been ineligible for 2017), he would've forfeited his year.
miss pj's but diff limetime ago.
molo

Post by molo »

Funny to see how different fan bases react to their coaches. Hopkins fans question every decision Petro makes and scrutinize facial expressions on video clips while the fans of another team I follow don't have much to say when the number one goalie recruit leaves, the next year's number one recruit overall redshirts, and an experienced pole leaves the team without explanation. I guess winning the NC provides somewhat of a teflon coat.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Foley

Rapine

That's why he had to sit in 2017, but his not returning for a 5th/grad year had nothing to do with academics. The story will probably come out at some point. It's not exactly salacious so don't get your hopes up.

I am curious about Rapine as probably everyone else is also. I think the public word was that is was an amicable decision by everyone for the best interest of the program and that he is still in school at JHU? WTH, is that supposed to mean?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

When Foley missed the '17 season I heard it was a tiny bit more than straight academics and it seems the narrative plays out well that the staff stood by him - otherwise why come back to that program? If Petro et al. threw him under the bus - he would have plied his trade at virtually any program. If Wombat is trying to suggest that the reason a 5th year didn't work out is actions taken or not taken by the HC - I have zero idea. I always assumed the NCAA took a literal interpretation of the rules at the time which was since he played in the fall of '16 he had used up a year of eligibility.

Reading between the lines of the Inside Lacrosse article on Rapine - this was clearly a long simmering issue. Without looking at it - how did they put it - "participation in fall activities meaningfully reduced" or something like that. Then he come back from the winter and is dismissed from or leaves the team. Says to me - he really didn't buy what Petro was selling for this year and they had enough of each other.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Petro fan but dead man walking if under .500
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Foley was out for one reason.....NCAA regulations. Why you guys try to look into this and try or hope to create some sort of theory that that there was tension amongst the team or player and coach is funny.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”