Roanoke 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LaxDad2020

Re: Roanoke 2020

Post by LaxDad2020 »

richard wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm Tough to see stuff like this before the season starts. Pilat will weed out the bad seeds and Noke will continue to be a strong program. I've seen it befor at other programs. Coaches are there for the long haul. Kids and parents with inflated senses of entitlement only last so long.
The freshman and sophomore players who left actually played in games. It's more then "entitlement" as to why they left. Could be grades, could be a new school with different opportunities, could be sick of playing - not fair to chalk it up to sour grape kids and parents.
richard

Post by richard »

LaxDad2020 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm Quality players left for the 2020 season to play elsewhere. One solid player in Saro left. They tend to play Freshman, so they don't transfer. Sit Sophs so they are left with the hard choice of sticking it out 2 more years or transferring. Juniors too late to leave. Going to be a long season for Roanoke.

[/quote
This is how it was presented???
Jakes

Post by Jakes »

Disappointing start, but to be expected with a very young team. Definitely missing Davies presence in goal. Defense seems to lack the usual stalwart from past years. Not much optimism taken from today.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Jakes wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 pm Disappointing start, but to be expected with a very young team. Definitely missing Davies presence in goal. Defense seems to lack the usual stalwart from past years. Not much optimism taken from today.
Tough to be optimistic when the other guys score 20+, but I'll give it a try because I'm Mr. Bright Side.

Roanoke played a lot of freshman, and it showed: a ton of turnovers, some communication issues on both ends, challenges in the clear game. Those issues will get ironed out as the young guys play some games and get that experience and composure.

Roanoke won the first quarter 4-3, and it should have been 5-3 but for a (spectacular) goal called off for a phantom crease violation. That call changed the momentum of the game I thought. Penalties - most notably a locked-in 1:00 penalty that led to THREE goals - were damaging for Roanoke in the disastrous second quarter. Again, this is a circumstance that can and will be remedied going forward. I thought the refs called a tight game for both teams, flags were flying all day, but CNU was able to capitalize more often, and at the right moments, while Roanoke was not.

Bottom line: CNU is a very good team, they move the ball well, and they are impressive up the middle at FOGO and in goal. They will make some noise this year. With so many freshman getting playing time, Roanoke will have to build momentum as the season goes along, and I think they will because I saw talent out there today despite what the score indicates.

And for all those who doubted whether Sarro would be able to come back and be productive this season, doubt no more: he put up 3 and 4, and was moving like nothing ever happened.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I thought Roanoke would be down from last year but it looks worse than that at the moment. I say at the moment due to the incredible number of freshman on this team. I doubt Pilate has forgotten how to coach. Lots of freshman on the field last game. Looks like they will take a hit in the win loss column like last year, so why not go with the youth movement. I’ve seen it done before. As far as PT goes put the younger player out there. In recruiting conversations I think they can honestly say we are going with youth, if so, you will probably have a good shot to get time freshman year and very likely sophomore year. Bite the bullet and rebuild, you are not reloading this season.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

I wouldn't be so quick to hop on the Sarro is back train. He only had 1 and 1 before CNU pulled their starters at the end of the 3rd quarter. #33 on CNU also seemed to be handling him easily. I don't think I saw a slide to that matchup all game.
Laxfan69

Post by Laxfan69 »

Just watched yesterdays game. YIKES
Dehuntshigwa’es

Sarro is 28 assists away from the all time record. Played in many more games to be fair so on a per game basis which is how any scoring record should be tabulated it’s different... This has stood for at least 40 years going back to Nokes national title. A far cry from today’s performance.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:07 pm Sarro is 28 assists away from the all time record. Played in many more games to be fair so on a per game basis which is how any scoring record should be tabulated it’s different... This has stood for at least 40 years going back to Nike’s national title. A far cry from today’s performance
Pray tell, what was wrong with today's performance?
Dehuntshigwa’es

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:10 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:07 pm Sarro is 28 assists away from the all time record. Played in many more games to be fair so on a per game basis which is how any scoring record should be tabulated it’s different... This has stood for at least 40 years going back to Nike’s national title. A far cry from today’s performance
Pray tell, what was wrong with today's performance?
Meant to say a far cry from the teams current situation. They are struggling. Sarro will likely break the record in-spite of that
BruceS.

Post by BruceS. »

Dehunt,

That's quite the pathetic display. To get on this board and minimize what this kid has done...SAD!!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Not minimizing anything just stating facts. Just to give you some historical information to make the point that records are mere numbers without some context. Sarro is obviously an outstanding player, and will likely break the assist record over 66 games. Truth is the record of 141 assists was recorded over guess what, 51 Games. Look further Sarro has played in exactly 51 career games to this point and has 113 assists. That record is held by someone who has 28 more assists over the same number of games (51) that both played in. Sarro will play in at least 14 more likely 15 more games ( that’s almost an entire season ) . You need to look behind the numbers sometimes to see how relevant they really are. I do know W&L needs an X attack man badly maybe we can work out a trade
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

I see Roanoke records does list goals / assists per game so those old timers who played 13-14 games a year are rightly recognized along with the players who played 18+ games. To Dehunt’s point it is the appropriate way to list records. I don’t think it was intended to be a slight.
The total accumulation is certainly a testament to today’s players who see increased competition to see time especially as a freshman as well as the better overall defenses.
To break a 40 year record after coming back from an injury will be a worthy accomplishment to Sarro.
richard

Post by richard »

Numbers are numbers. They are not judgements as to whether a player might be better than another. If Sarro breaks the record for assists he has that record. If he does not break the record for assists per game then he does not. The numbers tell that story and nothing else.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”