NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
GritCoaster

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by GritCoaster »

Rumor has it Conn College has a couple big ACC transfers at attack coming in...combined with fully loaded new coaching staff. Should be interesting to see what comes out of New London this year...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes confirmed regarding the staff...will be interesting to see what they can do.
DaveyBags

Post by DaveyBags »

Excited for the upcoming season. A ton of talent across the board. Watch out for the Camels as a potential sleeper for 2020. Nagle brings a ton of experience to a young but talented roster that experienced coaching deficiencies in the past. Heard murmurs that Corcoran jumped ship to Trinity so look for a tenacious defense out of Hartford. Look to #21 Jon Creed to play a stronger role in the offense this year despite shooting 10%. Big, dumb dodger who can get to the ally and rip it. Also look to #42 Seibel as a gritty, honorable attack men to quell some of his fears and play a pivotal role in the offense.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Interesting that Corcoran went to Trinity....makes sense geographically
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

GritCoaster wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm Rumor has it Conn College has a couple big ACC transfers at attack coming in...combined with fully loaded new coaching staff. Should be interesting to see what comes out of New London this year...
any more detail on which acc schools? if true this is exciting for the camels who have sat in a zone for so many years.
Nagle is a great hire. Not to mention he is a great marketer/recruiter, too. My inbox was flooded by Jim Nagle Stony Brook camp emails when my youngest son was going through the recruiting process years (my son ended up playing in the ODAC but still pulling for Nagle's success)
excited for nescac lacrosse to start up again!
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

NBN NESCAC KICK-Off Weekend “Predictions, Prognostications & Power Rankings”

Games: #3 RIT vs. Bate (NR) Sept 22nd.

Only a few days left before RIT and Bate start the beginnings of a new season for the NESCAC. After last year opening 14-12 nail biter…, my guess this will be a similar looking contest. All eye will be focused on Bate’s All American, Matt Chlastawa (92 Pts in 2019), and he will need to come up big against another tough and strong RIT Team. The Tiger also return a slew of talented including to 70 pt.+ performer in Tate and Banable.

Prediction: Going with the Bobcats this year in OT 13-12. :o

Additional Comments: The fact that Bates is not Ranked in Top 20 is a complete JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!; they will be next week.

NBN’s NESCAC Power Rankings – Kick Off Weekend, Next week will be the officially week one, and on the 30th will see if we get any changes in those PR’s

1.) Williams
2.) Tufts
3.) Amherst
4.) Middlebury
5.) Bate
6.) Wesleyan
7.) Trinity
8.) Colby
9.) Bowdoin
10.) CT College
11.) Hamilton
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Nothing But Net wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 pm NBN NESCAC KICK-Off Weekend “Predictions, Prognostications & Power Rankings”

Only a few days left before RIT and Bate start the beginnings of a new season for the NESCAC. After last year opening 14-12 nail biter…, my guess this will be a similar looking contest. All eye will be focused on Bate’s All American, Matt Chlastawa (92 Pts in 2019), and he will need to come up big against another tough and strong RIT Team. The Tiger also return a slew of talented including to 70 pt.+ performer in Tate and Banable.

Additional Comments: The fact that Bates is not Ranked in Top 20 is a complete JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!; they will be next week.

NBN’s NESCAC Power Rankings – Kick Off Weekend, Next week will be the officially week one, and on the 30th will see if we get any changes in those PR’s

1.) Williams
2.) Tufts
3.) Amherst
4.) Middlebury
5.) Bate
6.) Wesleyan
7.) Trinity
8.) Colby
9.) Bowdoin
10.) CT College
11.) Hamilton
Bates struggled to stay in the top twenty last year while mediocre teams from the south (or really the LL) got ranked. NESCAC voter fatigue is a thing.

I think this weekend will be a third straight barnburner win in the series for RIT (9-7 in 2018, 14-12 in 2019). Tons of respect to the Bobcats for opening their past few seasons after one week of practice with a top five opponent who has been playing for a few weeks. Unfortunately, they only have one Matt Chlastawa.
Nothing But Net

ah23 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:02 am
Nothing But Net wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 pm NBN NESCAC KICK-Off Weekend “Predictions, Prognostications & Power Rankings”

1.) Williams
2.) Tufts
3.) Amherst
4.) Middlebury
5.) Bate
6.) Wesleyan
7.) Trinity
8.) Colby
9.) Bowdoin
10.) CT College
11.) Hamilton
Bates struggled to stay in the top twenty last year while mediocre teams from the south (or really the LL) got ranked. NESCAC voter fatigue is a thing.

I think this weekend will be a third straight barnburner win in the series for RIT (9-7 in 2018, 14-12 in 2019). Tons of respect to the Bobcats for opening their past few seasons after one week of practice with a top five opponent who has been playing for a few weeks. Unfortunately, they only have one Matt Chlastawa.
I not sure if would say struggle last year, the team had 5 losses RIT, Williams, Tufts & Amerhest (2); all were pretty close games...5 closes losses to teams that could considered 4 of the top 5 programs in the country... plus a win against the then National Champs.... should have been a reusme to be included in the Top 10 in MHO

Here is the straignt on this... Bates last year would have had a great chance to win every other conference in the country in D3 except for one or two. Agree with you on Voter Fatigue with the NESCAC...Most likely everone of its member would be ranked in the top 20 if they played in other conferences.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Nothing But Net wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:29 am
I not sure if would say struggle last year, the team had 5 losses RIT, Williams, Tufts & Amerhest (2); all were pretty close games...5 closes losses to teams that could considered 4 of the top 5 programs in the country... plus a win against the then National Champs.... should have been a reusme to be included in the Top 10 in MHO

Here is the straignt on this... Bates last year would have had a great chance to win every other conference in the country in D3 except for one or two. Agree with you on Voter Fatigue with the NESCAC...Most likely everone of its member would be ranked in the top 20 if they played in other conferences.
Hmm, seems like I phrased my initial comment poorly. Just to clarify, I didn’t mean that Bates struggled as a team. What I meant was that they had something of a hard time being ranked where they deserved to be despite being clearly better (IMO) than teams from weaker conferences who were ranked above them.

That’s continuing this year - depending on which poll you look at, schools like St. Lawrence, Stevenson, Rhodes, and CNU all appear in the Top 20 while Bates is NR. In the NCAA poll they received less votes than fellow NRs RPI, Illinois Wesleyan, and Elizabethtown. It’s a complete joke. The thirst to rank undeserving teams just so the poll can feature regional/conference diversity is real.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

With a league as large as the NESCAC, it limits the OOC games, so you have to make those count. Start by beating RIT. What were the signature wins from last year where your team got hosed? Middlebury (8-9)?
ColonelFastBreak

Post by ColonelFastBreak »

Nothing But Net wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:29 am not sure if would say struggle last year, the team had 5 losses RIT, Williams, Tufts & Amerhest (2); all were pretty close games...5 closes losses to teams that could considered 4 of the top 5 programs in the country... plus a win against the then National Champs.... should have been a reusme to be included in the Top 10 in MHO
First, I'm not sure you can count the two losses to Amherst (by a combined 27 goals) to be "close games". The Williams and Tufts games both look a little closer than they were as Bates looked outclassed at times in both games. Regardless, I would grant that those two games were relatively close.

If you're going to mention close losses as a justification for a top 10 ranking, then you must consider the close wins that damage their resume. An OT win against Babson, a three goal win over Keene State, a 4th quarter, come from behind two goal win over Bowdoin and a one goal, back and forth win over Trinity are all pretty weak results for what you are calling a top 10 team. RPI, a team mentioned as one that Bates should be considered over, beat Babson by 6 goals last year and Keene by 9.

Certainly, Bates should get credit for a win over a solid Wesleyan team, which they did as they were ranked around the top 10 (though never in it as far as I could tell) for quite a while last year. Their win over Midd wasn't particularly impressive at the time as Midd opened the year 3-5 with losses to SLU and Union (both teams Bates would apparently finish ahead of if they played in the LL). Midd got hot at the end of the year and was much better than they were at the start. Whether that was due to the return of Madnick at the 'X', a young team gelling or just general improvement throughout the year remains to be seen. But really, what did Middlebury do last year aside from play three solid games (two of which they lost) to end the year and blow a 5 goal, 4th quarter lead in the NESCAC tournament?

So what was Bates? They were a very good team that really only beat one(maybe two) good teams all year and probably played their worst lacrosse at the end of the year. Doesn't sound like a top 10 team to me. That said, they have the best player in the conference at attack and if the supporting cast can step up they could do some serious damage. I won't be surprised if they beat RIT, but I don't see how anyone can complain that they aren't considered among the D3 top 10 before they win that game. Maybe somewhere in the 15-20 range if you're feeling generous.
overandback

Post by overandback »

A little harsh on the Bobcats, no? Their 5 losses were vs A++ teams!
I'm no NESCAC lover, but do recall feeling at Selection time last year that, even @ 10-5, they had a case for a bid.
IF favorites Wash and Lee and Gettysburg, Stevens had won their tournaments, I think Bates just might have slipped in.
In the end, Bates wasn't even the first team from North left out. NCAA had Stevens (16-3) two places ahead of them in Regional Rankings.
NESCAC is to D3 lax as Ivy League is to D1 Hockey - Great books, strong conference, short season.
Quality of loss is a tough case to plead.

JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

Aside from Bates vs RIT this weekend, are there any notable scrimmages on the books?
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
Dr.2Slide

Post by Dr.2Slide »

Any validity to the rumor John Cordrey (HS AA) is back for a 5th year with the Bos? Would be big if true
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Dr.2Slide wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm Any validity to the rumor John Cordrey (HS AA) is back for a 5th year with the Bos? Would be big if true
https://www.gotuftsjumbos.com/sports/ml ... -20/roster

per their roster, no there is not
Zonesurgeon

Post by Zonesurgeon »

overandback wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 pm A little harsh on the Bobcats, no? Their 5 losses were vs A++ teams!
I'm no NESCAC lover, but do recall feeling at Selection time last year that, even @ 10-5, they had a case for a bid.
IF favorites Wash and Lee and Gettysburg, Stevens had won their tournaments, I think Bates just might have slipped in.
In the end, Bates wasn't even the first team from North left out. NCAA had Stevens (16-3) two places ahead of them in Regional Rankings.
NESCAC is to D3 lax as Ivy League is to D1 Hockey - Great books, strong conference, short season.

Can partly see where you're coming. With the current structure of the D3 tournament, Bates will just simply be on the outside looking in more than they may deserve to be (as with other NESCAC teams). If they were in a different conference they would likely make it nearly every year. However, if they were not in the NESCAC their reputation, recruits, development throughout the year, and overall level of play would likely decrease. Thats the double edged sword of a team being in the NESCAC-you get better but you make it harder to get into the tournament. Also, W&L did win their conference last year as the favorite so that partially discredits your point.

Your point about NESCAC in D3 lax being comparable to the Ivy in D1 hockey is borderline insane. First off, the Ivy league isnt a conference in D1 hockey, the 6 Ivy league teams that have teams play in the ECAC with a bunch of other teams. Also, their conference is maybe the 3rd, but probably the 4th, best conference out of the 6 in D1 hockey (NCHC, Hockey East, and Big 10 are probably better). Lastly, most of the teams in the ECAC (or the Ivy league as you say) play roughly the same amount of games as teams in the other conferences and not a "short season."
Nothing But Net

ColonelFastBreak wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 pm
Nothing But Net wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:29 am not sure if would say struggle last year, the team had 5 losses RIT, Williams, Tufts & Amerhest (2); all were pretty close games...5 closes losses to teams that could considered 4 of the top 5 programs in the country... plus a win against the then National Champs.... should have been a reusme to be included in the Top 10 in MHO
First, I'm not sure you can count the two losses to Amherst (by a combined 27 goals) to be "close games". The Williams and Tufts games both look a little closer than they were as Bates looked outclassed at times in both games. Regardless, I would grant that those two games were relatively close.

If you're going to mention close losses as a justification for a top 10 ranking, then you must consider the close wins that damage their resume. An OT win against Babson, a three goal win over Keene State, a 4th quarter, come from behind two goal win over Bowdoin and a one goal, back and forth win over Trinity are all pretty weak results for what you are calling a top 10 team. RPI, a team mentioned as one that Bates should be considered over, beat Babson by 6 goals last year and Keene by 9.

Certainly, Bates should get credit for a win over a solid Wesleyan team, which they did as they were ranked around the top 10 (though never in it as far as I could tell) for quite a while last year. Their win over Midd wasn't particularly impressive at the time as Midd opened the year 3-5 with losses to SLU and Union (both teams Bates would apparently finish ahead of if they played in the LL). Midd got hot at the end of the year and was much better than they were at the start. Whether that was due to the return of Madnick at the 'X', a young team gelling or just general improvement throughout the year remains to be seen. But really, what did Middlebury do last year aside from play three solid games (two of which they lost) to end the year and blow a 5 goal, 4th quarter lead in the NESCAC tournament?

So what was Bates? They were a very good team that really only beat one(maybe two) good teams all year and probably played their worst lacrosse at the end of the year. Doesn't sound like a top 10 team to me. That said, they have the best player in the conference at attack and if the supporting cast can step up they could do some serious damage. I won't be surprised if they beat RIT, but I don't see how anyone can complain that they aren't considered among the D3 top 10 before they win that game. Maybe somewhere in the 15-20 range if you're feeling generous.
Will agree to disagree, outside of Salisbury, RIT, York & Cabrini last year..., there is not one team that remained ranked in the top 20 that would have matched Bate 10 - 5 mark of last year. The other item you also have to take in consideration are those OOC games againt NESCAC are like those teams superbowls. So they play at an extra energy level sometimes....Everygame in the NESCAC is a Battle... no days off
overandback

Post by overandback »

:!:
Zonesurgeon wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 pm
overandback wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 pm A little harsh on the Bobcats, no? Their 5 losses were vs A++ teams!

Can partly see where you're coming. With the current structure of the D3 tournament, Bates will just simply be on the outside looking in more than they may deserve to be (as with other NESCAC teams). If they were in a different conference they would likely make it nearly every year. However, if they were not in the NESCAC their reputation, recruits, development throughout the year, and overall level of play would likely decrease. Thats the double edged sword of a team being in the NESCAC-you get better but you make it harder to get into the tournament. Also, W&L did win their conference last year as the favorite so that partially discredits your point.

Your point about NESCAC in D3 lax being comparable to the Ivy in D1 hockey is borderline insane. First off, the Ivy league isnt a conference in D1 hockey, the 6 Ivy league teams that have teams play in the ECAC with a bunch of other teams. Also, their conference is maybe the 3rd, but probably the 4th, best conference out of the 6 in D1 hockey (NCHC, Hockey East, and Big 10 are probably better). Lastly, most of the teams in the ECAC (or the Ivy league as you say) play roughly the same amount of games as teams in the other conferences and not a "short season."

My bad on W&L.
But you need to brush up on your hockey.
Ivy’s play 5 less games than the other ECAC schools and all the other D1 hockey programs. Like NESCAC lax, they start practice and Games about three weeks after all the rest.
I’d say that’s a pretty good analogy.
I also love that you invoke the double edge sword and then quickly contradict it with the familiar NESCAC fan whine about how your teams are just doomed to be overlooked.
It does cut both ways! Look at Cornell hockey’s record to see that a shorter season can get you a silly good winning percentage. And I guess Bates 2019 to see flip side.
It’s this short season and the strength of the conference that makes me think NESCAC coaches are wary to take on too much OOC.
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

Dr.2Slide wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm Any validity to the rumor John Cordrey (HS AA) is back for a 5th year with the Bos? Would be big if true
who?
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

It would be much easier to believe the claims of "middling NESCAC teams would dominate other conferences" if the NESCAC teams made more of an effort to play good teams OOC instead of beating up on the NEWMAC and CCC teams in their backyard.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”