Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by DMac »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:17 am I just want to say, because no TV announcer will, that Loyola's defense is by far the best defensive squad in the country (I'm not even talking about our LSM's and SSDM's, who are also the best in the country). Not only is our close defense the best, but it runs 6 men deep, all equally deserving of a starting role, making any game-to-game adjustment fun as the coaches figure out best schemes. The UVA game was a first game schematic test; we did okay, but if we see them again, we'll shut down that attack.

I'm praying we see Penn State this year. I'd love to shut down O'Keefe and Ament.

This team continues to be dramatically underrated. Quint has them at #12...unreal. The Hounds would be considered betting line favorites over: UNC, Army, Notre Dame, Yale, Penn, and Cuse, all siting above them. I'd like to put Duke behind us as well, but we know there's some funky magic spell that the Blue Devils uni's have on our boys, so until we break that spell, Duke remains ahead of us.

The only teams I'd currenlty have above us (besides the aforementioned Duke and their uni hex) are MD, PSU, and UVA, and we will beat all of them by the time our offense kicks into high gear with the regular season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qi15kPUqQI
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thou art the nonpareil.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:17 am I just want to say, because no TV announcer will, that Loyola's defense is by far the best defensive squad in the country (I'm not even talking about our LSM's and SSDM's, who are also the best in the country). Not only is our close defense the best, but it runs 6 men deep, all equally deserving of a starting role, making any game-to-game adjustment fun as the coaches figure out best schemes. The UVA game was a first game schematic test; we did okay, but if we see them again, we'll shut down that attack.

I'm praying we see Penn State this year. I'd love to shut down O'Keefe and Ament.

This team continues to be dramatically underrated. Quint has them at #12...unreal. The Hounds would be considered betting line favorites over: UNC, Army, Notre Dame, Yale, Penn, and Cuse, all siting above them. I'd like to put Duke behind us as well, but we know there's some funky magic spell that the Blue Devils uni's have on our boys, so until we break that spell, Duke remains ahead of us.

The only teams I'd currenlty have above us (besides the aforementioned Duke and their uni hex) are MD, PSU, and UVA, and we will beat all of them by the time our offense kicks into high gear with the regular season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qi15kPUqQI

Hyperbole is only when you can't back it up:

Vizzini.jpg
Vizzini.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

You might want to get used to this scene:

Victory.jpg
Victory.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

We're getting real used to that thing that happened once almost a decade ago. :lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Now that team DID have the best D in the land, but that's history and has nothing to do with your hyperbole on 2/18/20.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Catbird wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am We're getting real used to that thing that happened once almost a decade ago. :lol: :lol:
Funny coming from a fan of a team that perpetually lives in the past.

That said, when was the last Hopkins championship?

:lol: :lol:
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 am

Closer in time to this photo than we are here talking about said photo. :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Catbird wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:52 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 am

Closer in time to this photo than we are here talking about said photo. :lol:

Do we even need to ask if this shot was a goal?!?!?! #87 looks great staring at Pat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pat.jpg
Pat.jpg (207.71 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes, its been an extremely long time since Hopkins has won anything of note.
Poor Rob Kuhn.
I don't think his ankles ever recovered.
Spencer had a career worth of highlights just against Hopkins alone.

https://twitter.com/loyolamlax/status/1 ... 6378490880
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

He had them against almost everyone. Want a list of those who had career days against LC
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Heads up, Army is getting crushed right now by Marist. 15-6 in the third. They're clearly beatable after all.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Wow - just watched 4th qtr. Army looked terrible and Marist had no clock management at a time when Army could still come back. Not undoable. bad passes, poor shots, and no defense. On any given day....
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:03 pm Wow - just watched 4th qtr. Army looked terrible and Marist had no clock management at a time when Army could still come back. Not undoable. bad passes, poor shots, and no defense. On any given day....

Marist is good and will surprise a lot of folks this year. I noticed that Army's GK, who had been having heroic outings, saved only 37% today (whereas Marist keeper was at 64%). Still, I'd never have seen this one coming...'Cuse must be happy with Army coming in this weekend.

Lacrosse is great! Any given day...
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I believe those future Officers will remember this loss and plan prepare and execute much better this Saturday against Cuse. I’m picking Army.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 pm He had them against almost everyone. Want a list of those who had career days against LC
Pre Cottle, I’m sure many Hopkins guys did have career days and even padded some stats. But since Cottle- not as many. Even fewer recently. Pendulum has clearly swung to LC’s favor in the contest lately. As a Loyola fan, I think we simply matchup better against Hopkins these days.

The “stumble goal” by Spencer was certainly iconic and a goal burned in the memory of many. I think Spencer literally broke the ankles (or knee) of a freshman JHU defender too. Think he got carted off. Hope that kid recovered.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:32 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 pm He had them against almost everyone. Want a list of those who had career days against LC
Pre Cottle, I’m sure many Hopkins guys did have career days and even padded some stats. But since Cottle- not as many. Even fewer recently. Pendulum has clearly swung to LC’s favor in the contest lately. As a Loyola fan, I think we simply matchup better against Hopkins these days.

The “stumble goal” by Spencer was certainly iconic and a goal burned in the memory of many. I think Spencer literally broke the ankles (or knee) of a freshman JHU defender too. Think he got carted off. Hope that kid recovered.
If you're thinking of what I am the play where he ran over the guy and hurt his knee was against Lehigh.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Out with the old and in with the new. Let's get at Rutgers, boys.

Charambalides is obviously their go-to player on offense; a lefty who plays really well off ball, tends to play quick stick with catch and shoot. He doesn't do much dodging but the rest of the team finds him while he works to get open. All lefty; only rarely even uses his right hand. He's back from injury in a big way. Hopefully Poitras can help our defenders in practice this week.

I can't understand how Rutgers can smoke St. John's then lose so convincingly to Army...it does not compute. And in both games, Rutgers got crushed on FO's. Strange.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am Out with the old and in with the new. Let's get at Rutgers, boys.

Charambalides is obviously their go-to player on offense; a lefty who plays really well off ball, tends to play quick stick with catch and shoot. He doesn't do much dodging but the rest of the team finds him while he works to get open. All lefty; only rarely even uses his right hand. He's back from injury in a big way. Hopefully Poitras can help our defenders in practice this week.

I can't understand how Rutgers can smoke St. John's then lose so convincingly to Army...it does not compute. And in both games, Rutgers got crushed on FO's. Strange.
GreyingHound and i actually talk on FB about the Hounds and the season. He thinks Bailey will crush Rutgers' FO unit and get a bevy of ground balls as a result.

My only slight concern is that with a GB advantage that should lead to more offensive opportunities and more goals. Really hope the offense puts on a nice performance for saturday!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am Out with the old and in with the new. Let's get at Rutgers, boys.

Stick with your packed in zone , your man to man is average, just flash it at times to change look. I dont get Rutgers -Army either. Loyola should be in top ten, they will be next week
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am

Stick with your packed in zone , your man to man is average, just flash it at times to change look. I dont get Rutgers -Army either. Loyola should be in top ten, they will be next week
WIth Hughes back and Wyers off his one game, they will be hungry. Not worried about man d, shut down a supposedly strong hopkins team without two of our best.

I also worry about number of ground balls not turning into offensive points. It is chemistry and Van has just not found the those middie lines yet.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”