media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: media matters

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:36 pm This was a dog schidt move by Felicia, shoving the daughter's/sisters face in it all, and their mother's as well.
Good timing, am sure the other families feel pretty much the same, Felicia is a classless yeast infection.
“Instead of protecting and supporting a reporter in the face of abuse, the Post placed her on administrative leave while newsroom leaders review whether she violated the social media policy. Felicia had to leave her home out of fear for her safety and has gotten insufficient guidance from the Post on how to protect herself,” the Guild said.
How is it the Post's responsibilty to provide you with sufficient guidance oh how to protect yourself from the backlash of a story you decided to tweet? Hope someone leaks some of the nude photos you sent to your BF.
I wouldn't go so far as DMac, but I would point out that the Guardian is no friend of the Post and has not provided a fulsome reporting of the issues.

IMO, the tweet was inappropriate in the context of the immediate moment. Further, the tweet violated (apparently) the social media policy of the Post. Fully within their prerogative to place her on leave.

As to whether the Post has provided "insufficient guidance", I would suggest that's highly subjective. What would be "sufficient"?

The Post had heavily reported the matter at the time, appropriately, and undoubtedly the matter will not be lost.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:52 am
Cosmo, are you saying the Post’s management is spineless here?
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:33 pmYes.
Kobe bang one of your girlfriends or something?
Wow ! She's getting death threats. Makes me reconsider my NPR tote bag campaign.
No dopp bag for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Condi—asleep on 9/11 and dead wrong on Iraq. What else does she believe?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

You would suspect that a truly unbiased media would be investigating any CAMPAIGN contribution violations in the Bloomberg campaign.

Over $300 million spent (all from one donor) in any number of ways on just about everything—campaign staff, air time, space, elected officials.

We'll see.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 pm Condi’ keeping it real: 😂😂https://twitter.com/squill_whispers/sta ... 28544?s=21
What do you think about Russia’s influence campaign on voters? Some effect, no effects, some effect but can’t be measured, Russia just wasted time and money or it was a hoax?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 pm Condi’ keeping it real: 😂😂https://twitter.com/squill_whispers/sta ... 28544?s=21
What do you think about Russia’s influence campaign on voters? Some effect, no effects, some effect but can’t be measured, Russia just wasted time and money or it was a hoax?
What is your point? Teach us how we stop that and we will all be better for it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:41 am You would suspect that a truly unbiased media would be investigating any CAMPAIGN contribution violations in the Bloomberg campaign.

Over $300 million spent (all from one donor) in any number of ways on just about everything—campaign staff, air time, space, elected officials.

We'll see.
Huh???

Spending on your own campaign is explicitly legal.
How would you imagine it to be a campaign contribution violation?
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am
I just want to know what you THINK.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 am
Likely the highlighted in red answer is my guess.

The concern is none of this is controllable.... heck, we even have to fact check our own danged people during a live debate and then even the fact checkers are questioned.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Start with admitting the sweeping nature of the active measures campaign. Loudly. Start there.

Make it criminal to participate in any way with such a foreign influence campaign, to knowingly disseminate false information, including false political information sourced by foreign influences. Civil fines on businesses who let their platforms be used for such false info dissemination.

And, for god's sake, dump the politicians who participate.
That should overwhelm any other partisan preference.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 am

The concern is none of this is controllable.... heck, we even have to fact check our own danged people during a live debate and then even the fact checkers are questioned.
I don't buy that it is impossible. We have courts of law that decide cases every day on libel, slander etc, false advertising claims, etc.

If we did not have such laws and courts, companies would lie all the time, egregiously so, about whatever snake oil...but instead, there is a brake on such behavior.

Let's be clear, our tech platform companies have the resources, both capital and technology, to identify the sources of information, the identities of their participants, and the veracity of the claims...should they be required to do so. But they're not required to do so...

These companies are enormously profitable, mining our personal data, our like and dislikes, our personalities and preferences, our identities and apply algorithms to that data to advertise to us effectively whatever they are paid to advertise. They definitely have the tool sets to identify and prevent the dissemination of false identity information, false information.

And don't kid yourself, the bad guys will be using more and more sophisticated measures to persuade us of false information. If we don't put legal systems into place and continuously improve them, it's going to get far uglier than in 2016. And fast.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:49 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 am

I don't buy that it is impossible. We have courts of law that decide cases every day on libel, slander etc, false advertising claims, etc.

If we did not have such laws and courts, companies would lie all the time, egregiously so, about whatever snake oil...but instead, there is a brake on such behavior.

Let's be clear, our tech platform companies have the resources, both capital and technology, to identify the sources of information, the identities of their participants, and the veracity of the claims...should they be required to do so. But they're not required to do so...

These companies are enormously profitable, mining our personal data, our like and dislikes, our personalities and preferences, our identities and apply algorithms to that data to advertise to us effectively whatever they are paid to advertise. They definitely have the tool sets to identify and prevent the dissemination of false identity information, false information.

And don't kid yourself, the bad guys will be using more and more sophisticated measures to persuade us of false information. If we don't put legal systems into place and continuously improve them, it's going to get far uglier than in 2016. And fast.
Exactly. Condi was just spouting a company line. Media influences people. That’s why politicians pay for campaign ads and commercials. The fact that someone will paste a link to twitter says it all.
“I wish you would!”
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

NYT publishes an oped from the head of the Taliban:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/opin ... jDlFycdcq0

W T F has happened to the NYT?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
old salt

Post by old salt »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:44 pm NYT publishes an oped from the head of the Taliban:

Oh No ! I hope this doesn't prompt Kismuck to cx his subscription.
Kismet wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:54 pm Except that the Taliban have to agree to stop killing Americans. Fat chance.

Like the last time, DOA.

DOPUS gets to claim he tried.
Typical Trump BS.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:50 pm
thatsmell wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:44 pm NYT publishes an oped from the head of the Taliban:

Kismet wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:54 pm Except that the Taliban have to agree to stop killing Americans. Fat chance.

Like the last time, DOA.

Typical Trump BS.
Infantile name-calling just shows your true colors. Grow up
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:02 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Like the last time, DOA.

Typical Trump BS.
Infantile name-calling just shows your true colors. Grow up
OKus DOPUS
https://twitter.com/HurdOnTheHill/statu ... gr%5Etweet
Rep Will Hurd
@HurdOnTheHill
At a time when our country is concerned with disinformation, for The New York Times to allow a terrorist responsible for the death of Americans (and who kidnapped their own reporter) to pen an op-ed with things they know are lies is outrageous.
3:05 PM · Feb 20, 2020
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

OKus DOPUS
Like I said, grow up....to they guy who cries about being TROLLED here by others. Takes one to know one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Ben Smith, formerly founding editor of BuzzFeed News is now media columnist for NYT and has posted his first column

Why the Success of The New York Times May Be Bad News for Journalism

In his debut, our new media columnist says The Times has become like Facebook or Google — a digital behemoth crowding out the competition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/busi ... e=Homepage

Old Salt will be thrilled :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “POLITICS”