Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:08 pm Don’t know what all the fuss is about. Blue Jays have a talented team this season. Good speed, size, and athleticism all over the field. Also improved depth compared to past seasons.

Blue Jays also have injuries to key people, lots of new starters and contributors, and a tough schedule. Hopkins is going to be inconsistent for a while.

Vast majority of coaches around the country would love to have guys like Zinn and Degnon on their midfields. DeSimone, Zinn, and Degnon are all on pace for about 20 goals or more this season. I’ll take that.

Zinn is generating a lot of offensive opportunities for himself and others off the dodge. For a lot of players, averaging an additional assist or goal per game is an unrealistic ask. Not so for Zinn ... well within his capabilities to be averaging four points a game (All-America caliber production) versus his current three.

I’m not sold on Darby yet, especially on whether he can ever be a vocal leader of the defense. Issues with clears may be a sign of that. Still, I think our defense is playing better as a team than last year.

If the young men put the work in and Epstein can work his way back to form (and who would wager against him?), this could be a pretty special Hopkins team. Don’t be surprised if that special team takes a few weeks more to develop.

DocBarrister 8-)

Ring a gosh-darn cow-bell; I agree with a post from DocB!!!!! This is the first, and possibly only post of his, that makes sense, especially the highlight above. :o

I'm no friend of this program, but my respect is deep. DocB captures this team well with the highlighted sentences above. The boys will recover despite the coach, heck maybe even in spite of the coach! I look forward to them pasting those Tar Heel interlopers this weekend! Get at it!
Carpetbagging mercenary. You just want Carolina to lose.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The fact of the matter is Loyola scored 10. A very respectable result for the D. Towson is in no way on the same level as Loyola. That is an equivalence that doesn’t hunt.

D did well especially in light of time of possession, gbs etc. Loyola was down two starters. Had Hopkins had a healthy Epstein etc result might have been better.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:57 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:08 pm Don’t know what all the fuss is about. Blue Jays have a talented team this season. Good speed, size, and athleticism all over the field. Also improved depth compared to past seasons.

Blue Jays also have injuries to key people, lots of new starters and contributors, and a tough schedule. Hopkins is going to be inconsistent for a while.

Vast majority of coaches around the country would love to have guys like Zinn and Degnon on their midfields. DeSimone, Zinn, and Degnon are all on pace for about 20 goals or more this season. I’ll take that.

Zinn is generating a lot of offensive opportunities for himself and others off the dodge. For a lot of players, averaging an additional assist or goal per game is an unrealistic ask. Not so for Zinn ... well within his capabilities to be averaging four points a game (All-America caliber production) versus his current three.

I’m not sold on Darby yet, especially on whether he can ever be a vocal leader of the defense. Issues with clears may be a sign of that. Still, I think our defense is playing better as a team than last year.

If the young men put the work in and Epstein can work his way back to form (and who would wager against him?), this could be a pretty special Hopkins team. Don’t be surprised if that special team takes a few weeks more to develop.

DocBarrister 8-)

Ring a gosh-darn cow-bell; I agree with a post from DocB!!!!! This is the first, and possibly only post of his, that makes sense, especially the highlight above. :o

I'm no friend of this program, but my respect is deep. DocB captures this team well with the highlighted sentences above. The boys will recover despite the coach, heck maybe even in spite of the coach! I look forward to them pasting those Tar Heel interlopers this weekend! Get at it!
Carpetbagging mercenary. You just want Carolina to lose.

True.

Can’t Bloomberg buy the Jays a sweet victory this weekend?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Because lacrosse should be played in the spring, I boycotting all results before March 1st weekend so the last 2 games results never existed.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OC and PB don’t exist.

In fact, this should be like that controversial season of the old TV show Dallas, where they proclaimed the whole previous season was just a dream sequence.

For Hopkins, let’s just forget about the past 11 years.

Yeah.

To dream... the forgettable dream!
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest, to follow that star
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march
Into hell for a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lay peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To fight the unbeatable foe
To reach the unreachable star

And Hopkins still sucks. I like the unbeatable foe part of the above.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm Because lacrosse should be played in the spring, I boycotting all results before March 1st weekend so the last 2 games results never existed.
I know you're joking but in all honesty—when are we going to learn not to put so much stock into early February games? I'm as guilty as anyone. I tell myself this every year but in the moment it's just kinda of hard not to overreact. We very likely overreacted to the Towson win and I think the same thing is happening with the Loyola loss. In 2017 we went 4-0 in February, including a convincing win at Carolina, then went 4-7 the rest of the way. On the flip side, in 2015 we went 2-3 in February (including a loss at home to Princeton)—pretty much everyone was writing the eulogy at that point—then eventually won 7 in a row to get to a Final Four.

Penn lost three in a row to start the year last year. Virginia lost 2 of 3 including a blow out to Loyola and a loss to High Point. Obviously I am not saying we are going to have the season Virginia had, nor even the one Penn wound up having, but it's almost pathetic how quickly some people come out of the woodwork the literal moment the team shows any signs of faltering early on (a lot of these people were conspicuously silent after the Towson game).

It's president's day, anyone who thinks they know exactly how this season is going to go is full of it. Having said all that—Epstein's injury is a major, major concern, and if he can't get fully healthy then, yes, perhaps, we might be in serious doo doo.

BTW—this thread has become a laughingstock on Twitter. Someone at College Crosse has been monitoring it closely and because of our most histrionic, end-of-days type members, it's now pretty much an internet meme. I don't think some of you guys realize what a bad look it is for the program. Not doing anyone any favors by rushing here to call for people's heads the second the team has a bad game. I was told by someone very close to the team that the players do read this and think it's a joke. I don't really think they appreciate anonymous old geezers screaming for their coach to lose his job after every loss, but I'm just guessing here.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OCanada wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:46 pm The fact of the matter is Loyola scored 10. A very respectable result for the D. Towson is in no way on the same level as Loyola. That is an equivalence that doesn’t hunt.

D did well especially in light of time of possession, gbs etc. Loyola was down two starters. Had Hopkins had a healthy Epstein etc result might have been better.
And if a frog had wings, it wouldn’t bump its ass on the ground.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 pm
steel_hop wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 pm Because lacrosse should be played in the spring, I boycotting all results before March 1st weekend so the last 2 games results never existed.
I know you're joking but in all honesty—when are we going to learn not to put so much stock into early February games? I'm as guilty as anyone. I tell myself this every year but in the moment it's just kinda of hard not to overreact. We very likely overreacted to the Towson win and I think the same thing is happening with the Loyola loss. In 2017 we went 4-0 in February, including a convincing win at Carolina, then went 4-7 the rest of the way. On the flip side, in 2015 we went 2-3 in February (including a loss at home to Princeton)—pretty much everyone was writing the eulogy at that point—then eventually won 7 in a row to get to a Final Four.

Penn lost three in a row to start the year last year. Virginia lost 2 of 3 including a blow out to Loyola and a loss to High Point. Obviously I am not saying we are going to have the season Virginia had, nor even the one Penn wound up having, but it's almost pathetic how quickly some people come out of the woodwork the literal moment the team shows any signs of faltering early on (a lot of these people were conspicuously silent after the Towson game).

It's president's day, anyone who thinks they know exactly how this season is going to go is full of it. Having said all that—Epstein's injury is a major, major concern, and if he can't get fully healthy then, yes, perhaps, we might be in serious doo doo.

BTW—this thread has become a laughingstock on Twitter. Someone at College Crosse has been monitoring it closely and because of our most histrionic, end-of-days type members, it's now pretty much an internet meme. I don't think some of you guys realize what a bad look it is for the program. Not doing anyone any favors by rushing here to call for people's heads the second the team has a bad game.
Post the memes. Let’s have some entertainment from the lame duck season. And screw College Crosse.

The issue here is many more bad games are coming. Book it.

It’s not the fans fault for the “bad look it is for the program.”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I just checked out that bastion of lacrosse news.

One lame tweet and two lame retweets.

Try actual journalism.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You Hop fans should give your cat man a helping paw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3GJycgu-cs
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

vernal equinox is usually around march 20. i'd guess that's around half or more of the season, but see you then!!

now following college crosse.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 pm Try actual journalism.
I wish there were more of that.

Unfortunately, sometimes all there is is listening to those 3 um their way through surface level analysis of games they didn't watch (shoutout to none of them actually watching Duke@Denver this week).
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

jhu08 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:20 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 pm Try actual journalism.
I wish there were more of that.

Unfortunately, sometimes all there is is listening to those 3 um their way through surface level analysis of games they didn't watch (shoutout to none of them actually watching Duke@Denver this week).
Tbf none of them are actual journalists. I mean I think they all have other jobs during the day. The only one who could maybe be classified as a journalist had to stop running the sight. I don't think it's fair to call them out for not being top notch with everything.

I'll defend the College Crosse guys because I appreciate that they actually try to put out some content. We aren't really blessed as a sport with a ton of people paying attention. You've got US Lacrosse Magazine and IL as really the only official sources and for Crosse to add on top of that is only a good thing regardless of what you think of the quality. And while they certainly aren't the most polished podcast they are the only ones who seem to care enough to put a podcast both recapping and previewing each week. IL can barely get 30 minutes of discussion into their's and they use two different sets of guys to get it done. The only other option is Barstool and like Crosse I give Jordie credit for adding to the landscape but it isn't exactly my style.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

jhu08 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Unfortunately, sometimes all there is is listening to those 3 um their way through surface level analysis of games they didn't watch
Tried listening to a few of these (we are indeed starved for quality coverage in this sport) and this is the best description I could possibly imagine. They are awful.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 pm
Tbf none of them are actual journalists. I mean I think they all have other jobs during the day. The only one who could maybe be classified as a journalist had to stop running the sight. I don't think it's fair to call them out for not being top notch with everything.

I'll defend the College Crosse guys because I appreciate that they actually try to put out some content. We aren't really blessed as a sport with a ton of people paying attention. You've got US Lacrosse Magazine and IL as really the only official sources and for Crosse to add on top of that is only a good thing regardless of what you think of the quality. And while they certainly aren't the most polished podcast they are the only ones who seem to care enough to put a podcast both recapping and previewing each week. IL can barely get 30 minutes of discussion into their's and they use two different sets of guys to get it done. The only other option is Barstool and like Crosse I give Jordie credit for adding to the landscape but it isn't exactly my style.
The Crosse is putting out the most comprehensive podcast. Last year IL had a third podcast with Aburn and Devitte which was not bad. Aburn has left IL and it looks like they chosen not replace it with other talent at IL. That podcast took a deep dive into games and was far more appealing. Q and Foy are boring.

Is Jordie’s “The Crease Dive”?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 pm

On some level I'm not for some of the reasons you stated. But, there is no doubt figuring out who you are in the first month is important. You certainly want to win early games because, to quote Yogi Berra "you don't want it to get late, early" but at the end of the day it is the overall record that will matter.

You would also like to see you come out of these games healthy, which is unfortunately not going to happen. I'd argue as much as they need Epstein, Hopkins would be better off resting him for the next 2-3 games. Rushing him back doesn't nothing but increase the chance he hurts himself again because he isn't fully healed.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

The team has laid so many stinkers the last decade it is hard to blame fans for succumbing to the feeling of "here we go again", though I agree with the sentiment that everyone including myself at times should probably take a deep breath and let the next few weeks develop.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:33 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 pm

The Crosse is putting out the most comprehensive podcast. Last year IL had a third podcast with Aburn and Devitte which was not bad. Aburn has left IL and it looks like they chosen not replace it with other talent at IL. That podcast took a deep dive into games and was far more appealing. Q and Foy are boring.

Is Jordie’s “The Crease Dive”?
Yes Jordie does Crease Dive
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 pm BTW—this thread has become a laughingstock on Twitter. Someone at College Crosse has been monitoring it closely and because of our most histrionic, end-of-days type members, it's now pretty much an internet meme. I don't think some of you guys realize what a bad look it is for the program. Not doing anyone any favors by rushing here to call for people's heads the second the team has a bad game. I was told by someone very close to the team that the players do read this and think it's a joke. I don't really think they appreciate anonymous old geezers screaming for their coach to lose his job after every loss, but I'm just guessing here.
Guy with Most Posts on Thread Learns Thread Considered "Joke"; Concludes Problem Is Everybody Else Posting Stuff

Film at 11.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 pm BTW—this thread has become a laughingstock on Twitter. Someone at College Crosse has been monitoring it closely and because of our most histrionic, end-of-days type members, it's now pretty much an internet meme. I don't think some of you guys realize what a bad look it is for the program. Not doing anyone any favors by rushing here to call for people's heads the second the team has a bad game. I was told by someone very close to the team that the players do read this and think it's a joke. I don't really think they appreciate anonymous old geezers screaming for their coach to lose his job after every loss, but I'm just guessing here.
Guy with Most Posts on Thread Learns Thread Considered "Joke"; Concludes Problem Is Everybody Else Posting Stuff

Film at 11.
I know reading can be difficult for some so I will spell it out for you. Thought this was pretty clear but I guess not: What they consider a joke specifically is the idea of the same group of curmudgeons taking to the internet to anonymously demand their coach be fired after every loss, like clockwork. The problem is not "everybody"—it is a clear vocal minority. It's not my conclusion. I'm friendly with a few guys who played for Hopkins in the last decade. They know several posters here by name. And they laugh at them.

One poster here recently said nothing we say here matters, which is probably correct. Tell me, then, does it make more sense to at least attempt to have semi-thoughtful discussion of the game of lacrosse and our passion/interest in the Hopkins team, or to scream into the void like infants every time the team loses? Which do we think is the type of post that players and the lacrosse community at large make fun of?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”