Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Ok, it is just one game but reading this thread here and in LP, i will pretend for the sake of argument, JHU’s performance is not just a short term aberration. (I picked JHU to go to the final four so i thought they would improve given the talent they have!)

Just a thought, when I played lacrosse was not a sport that kids played from first grade on and generally was not the only sport kids played.

I believe kids are closer to burn out when they enter college than at any other time. This does not necessarily mean they will quit but I believe they become less responsive to negative motivation and avoid it as much as they can.

Add on to that the entitlement many recruits feel.

Then look at the only takeaway you can have with Petro’s sideline behavior and from what I hear, how he runs practices.

I certainly have seen this leadership style myself after 27 years in the military but I know it is rapidly disappearing.

Petro did not suddenly become uninformed on lacrosse. Maybe his style no longer works? There has to be other coaches with his style. Are there? Are they successful? What is the trend?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Never fire someone unless you have a replacement in mind. Otherwise you get a Navy situation.

If I were AD/President at Hop, I don’t know who the next guy is.

I’d be having a conversation with Petro but give him two years to turn things around.

Kids haven’t changed that much. They want to be coached and you need to connect with them in an authentic way. If you don’t, your message becomes stale.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

thatsmell wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:29 am Never fire someone unless you have a replacement in mind. Otherwise you get a Navy situation.

If I were AD/President at Hop, I don’t know who the next guy is.

I’d be having a conversation with Petro but give him two years to turn things around.

Kids haven’t changed that much. They want to be coached and you need to connect with them in an authentic way. If you don’t, your message becomes stale.
I’d argue the firing of DeLuca at Cornell is a better example than Navy but same point.

I heard this iteration of Hop is transformational though from a certain non practitioner with a MD....
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Consider the source.
He’s a “non-practitioner” in many fields.
Both as a doctor AND with lacrosse.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Are you saying it’s fake news?
molo

Post by molo »

I guess a Hounds win over Hopkins at the RIAC,as it is now called, has become so routine that it no longer merits free post game sandwiches.
I counted one run for the second midfield of 31, 33, and 23 although the first comprised a rotation of DeSimone, Zinn, and Degnon with occasional runs by Baskin and Smith, both of whom played some attack as well.
Why in a town where the prevailing winds are out of the west and northwest did they have to shift to southeast yesterday? The real temp around freezing would have been tolerable, but the windchill on the 20s was brutal.
UNC is loaded and on the way.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 am But he was way way outplayed by his counterpart for Loyola, who is also a Junior.
I don't know, this seems like grasping at straws to pin it on the goalie when in fact he was one of the only Blue Jays who played well enough to win that game. He's not competing against their goalie. He's competing against their shooters. He saved more shots than he allowed in. That at least gives you a shot. He did his job, for the most part (again, outlet passes continue to be a bit of an adventure). God knows I was hoping we'd have a new goalie this year but I'm not going to complain about 56% through two games.
loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:42 pm I am jumping over to the hopkins page to give you guys my opinion of hopkins.

Playing Epstein a huge mistake, looked like a hs player... could not move, turnovers, that was a coaching mistake

FO was handled by Savio.

GK, played well.

Middies, Zinn did not live up to the hype, he looked overwhelmed. Your middies overall are average.

EMO has alot to work on, 2 man up and you do not score.

You have alot to work on with your upcoming schedule... maybe 500 again this year
"Overwhelmed" is most definitely not the right word for Zinn's performance. He had a bad shooting day—still had more points than any Loyola middie.

While we're sharing opinions of one another—I don't think you should be very pleased with that performance from the Greyhounds. We may have been bad but that does not necessarily mean you were good. 20% offensive efficiency through two games (60th in the country). Good luck scoring against Army this year.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:39 am
I’d argue the firing of DeLuca at Cornell is a better example than Navy but same point.
Unlike Meade, DeLuca's firing had nothing to do with Big Red's record on the field. After all, in 2013, his final year, DeLuca's team was 14-4 with NCAA wins over Maryland and Ohio State before falling to Duke in Final 4.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

But it was still a panicky unplanned action. You telling me they had designs on Kerwick ever being HC there?
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 pm But it was still a panicky unplanned action. You telling me they had designs on Kerwick ever being HC there?
Nope. Just saying what I said.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

But moving Petro in anything other than a planned, orderly transition would be panicky and lacking a responsible plan same as that situation. Big difference between meades great contribution to Navy and Petro as a all time player there with two titles as a coach. There’s a signaling effect to blowing out a coach without at least the facade of a message of a plan that extends to future coaches and all other constituents. See Florida St or Tennessee football.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm
Interesting....0min. 27sec. of FS and 9min. 09sec. of DP. :shock:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:05 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 am But he was way way outplayed by his counterpart for Loyola, who is also a Junior.
I don't know, this seems like grasping at straws to pin it on the goalie when in fact he was one of the only Blue Jays who played well enough to win that game. He's not competing against their goalie. He's competing against their shooters. He saved more shots than he allowed in. That at least gives you a shot. He did his job, for the most part (again, outlet passes continue to be a bit of an adventure). God knows I was hoping we'd have a new goalie this year but I'm not going to complain about 56% through two games.
loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:42 pm I am jumping over to the hopkins page to give you guys my opinion of hopkins.

Playing Epstein a huge mistake, looked like a hs player... could not move, turnovers, that was a coaching mistake

FO was handled by Savio.

GK, played well.

Middies, Zinn did not live up to the hype, he looked overwhelmed. Your middies overall are average.

EMO has alot to work on, 2 man up and you do not score.

You have alot to work on with your upcoming schedule... maybe 500 again this year
"Overwhelmed" is most definitely not the right word for Zinn's performance. He had a bad shooting day—still had more points than any Loyola middie.

While we're sharing opinions of one another—I don't think you should be very pleased with that performance from the Greyhounds. We may have been bad but that does not necessarily mean you were good. 20% offensive efficiency through two games (60th in the country). Good luck scoring against Army this year.

I have to apologize for my young Hounds colleague. His words often fail to convey what he’s trying to say.

Zinn is a beast. I’d give anything to have him on the Hounds.

As for the Hounds, you’re correct. I suspect we will have scoring efficiency issues for a while as we find our rhythm. We could use Zinn at midfield to relieve the attention paid to our attack.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxxygilmore wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Noticed that, too. Not a good look. Tells you some of what is an obvious issue at Hop...

I’m on record as not a Petro fan. Hopkins needs fresh blood, to see talent differently, to make in-game changes, to motivate. But to pull the trigger after one loss of 3 goals is somewhat brusque.

Of all the colleges, you’d think Bloomberg could make the necessary coaching change and keep all sides happy (if not wealthier). 😎
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

thatsmell wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:44 am Consider the source.
He’s a “non-practitioner” in many fields.
Both as a doctor AND with lacrosse.
Such pettiness, and on a Sunday, too!

I will pray for you.

DocBarrister 8-) ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

there's 12.6 scholarships per d1 team. Who on Hopkins has earned theirs consistently on a week to week basis the last 2 years? Epstein. Foley. Kuhn. Where is the rest of it going?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The most telling thing about that postgame news conference was the comments on practice not going that well as if they were comfortable with that win over Towson. That analysis was frustrating - and is on both the players and coaches.

Complacency is not an option. That breeds defeat. That’s walking into each weekend with the potential of a loss not motivating enough. Maybe the fallback option of a potential AQ led to this way of thinking - some regular season losses aren’t so bad and they can afford a few in the loss column.

But, we’re not talking about going 11-2 or 10-3 versus undefeated anymore. We’re talking about losses having become so routine, they seem to be acceptable as the team and staff waddle through near .500 seasons and non-competitive blowout playoff losses.

THAT is NOT Hopkins Technique and Tradition.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm Noticed that, too. Not a good look. Tells you some of what is an obvious issue at Hop...
Honest question, have you ever seen a college lacrosse postgame press conference before in your life? This is how every team does it—the coach makes a short statement at the beginning and then it's open to questions for both coach and player(s). They don't choose what questions get asked. Only one question was asked of Forry. He answered it. Had there been more questions for him, he would have answered those. But nobody else asked him anything. That's how news conferences work. "Not a good look," "an obvious issue,"—absolute nonsense.
a fan

Post by a fan »

laxxygilmore wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:46 pm
If Petro didn't say anything, or simply sent his players out there?

Posters would be on him for throwing them under the bus.

Another interpretation of that presser is that Petro took the bulk of the heat for the loss.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trumansburger wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 pm But it was still a panicky unplanned action. You telling me they had designs on Kerwick ever being HC there?
Nope. Just saying what I said.
I might say that it was certainly "unplanned" but not "panicky".
When that sort of thing happens, it's far less in one's control than one would like.
But you still gotta pull the trigger.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”