MAC Freedom

D3 Mens Lacrosse
viper

MAC Freedom

Post by viper »

DeSales defending a crown next year with a pretty good Stevens program joining the league. Thoughts?
viper

Re: MAC Freedom

Post by viper »

viper wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:52 pm DeSales defending a crown next year with a pretty good Stevens program joining the league. Thoughts?
So DeSales in the top 20, Stevens not after a year where Stevens ended up outranking DeSales? Will be interesting to see how that plays out during the season now that they are conference foes.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Are we speaking about preseason rankings?
I see both schools receiving votes in US lax poll.
Inside lacrosse has Stevens ranked 12th.
Preseason Polls are silly
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Inside Lacrosse Pre-Season Rankings

1. Amherst
2. Salisbury
3. Williams
4. RIT
5. Cabrini
6. Tufts
7. Gettysburg
8. York
9. F&M
10. W&L
11. Wesleyan
12. Stevens
13. CNU
14. Dickinson
15. Denison
16. Lynchburg
17. St John Fisher
18. St Lawrence
19. Stevenson
20. RPI

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 0?slide=19
viper

Post by viper »

laxrules wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:20 am Are we speaking about preseason rankings?
I see both schools receiving votes in US lax poll.
Inside lacrosse has Stevens ranked 12th.
Preseason Polls are silly
Indeed they are silly, but its always interesting to wonder how they come up with their information. Especially since there is not nearly the background information on the incoming recruiting classes as D1.

Original post was also before the IL poll was up.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

2020 MAC Freedom Men's Lacrosse Coaches' Preseason Poll
Rank Team Points (1st Place Votes)
1 Stevens 49 (7)
t2 DeSales 40
t2 Eastern 40
4 Misericordia 30
5 FDU-Florham 23
6 Wilkes 21
7 King's 11
8 Delaware Valley 10
viper

Post by viper »

laxrules wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:07 pm 2020 MAC Freedom Men's Lacrosse Coaches' Preseason Poll
Rank Team Points (1st Place Votes)
1 Stevens 49 (7)
t2 DeSales 40
t2 Eastern 40
4 Misericordia 30
5 FDU-Florham 23
6 Wilkes 21
7 King's 11
8 Delaware Valley 10
Hard to not pick newcomer Stevens as the favorite. Coming off of several strong seasons. While they had a hiccup against Roanoke they did play #4 Tufts to within 2 goals last year. This year they play Salisbury, Williams and Tufts before their conference play starts. Winning one of those 3 alone would be a statement from the Ducks.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Read in the Centennial Conference thread that both Stevens and DeSales scrimmaged Muhlenberg. The post said that muhlenberg beat DeSales 9-3 and Stevens 11-4 which shocks me. anybody have any insight into if starters were playing for both stevens and desales? Viper and laxrules, looks like you two are talking by yourself in here. Either of you there to see this?
viper

Post by viper »

SpiritInTheStick wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 pm Read in the Centennial Conference thread that both Stevens and DeSales scrimmaged Muhlenberg. The post said that muhlenberg beat DeSales 9-3 and Stevens 11-4 which shocks me. anybody have any insight into if starters were playing for both stevens and desales? Viper and laxrules, looks like you two are talking by yourself in here. Either of you there to see this?
Welcome to the forum Spirit! I was not at Muhlenburg to see any of the scrimmages but it sounds like Stevens struggled in both of their scrimmages. I know Stevens did well in their fall scrimmages, but I suppose when you graduate 3 key parts like Peluso, Bailey and Radbourne (167 points combined) there may be some growing pains. I am looking forward to seeing the 2020 roster (not posted yet) to see where some of the freshman have come from. I have been "piece-mealing" the new class together as best as I can from the recruiting pages, but DIII commits are not tracked like the D1 commits.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I did not see the scrimmage. Muhlenburg is a good team that returns a lot. They played some good teams very close last year.
Stevens also has to replace a goalie from last year.
viper

Post by viper »

laxrules wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:38 pm I did not see the scrimmage. Muhlenburg is a good team that returns a lot. They played some good teams very close last year.
Stevens also has to replace a goalie from last year.
Although its just a preseason scrimmage, the 4 goals on offense is more telling to me than the 11 they gave up. I believe they only put 4 or 5 in against Mt St Marys (DIII) in a 50 minute game (to 25 minute running halves). I guess we will know alot more in a few days when Swarthmore comes to visit.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Watched online. Hey ducks how about some shooting drills?! The leading returning scorer took 16 shots for 2 goals.
Defense looked pretty solid. Face offs were lopsided! Swats goalie made saves but not sure if it was poor shooting or good goalie play.
viper

Re: MAC Freedomt

Post by viper »

laxrules wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:18 pm Watched online. Hey ducks how about some shooting drills?! The leading returning scorer took 16 shots for 2 goals.
Defense looked pretty solid. Face offs were lopsided! Swats goalie made saves but not sure if it was poor shooting or good goalie play.
Probably a little of both. Swat goalie looks good, but telegraphing shots not changing levels, lots of dropping stick and shooting low made it easy for goalie to be in position.

Looks like a tough transition after the loss of midfield scoring and a very effective x attackman. Their high scorer was an ssdm coming in to the game and ended up playing lots of offense in second half. They got nothing at the X today either. The attack leaders Monteleone and Gebhart each had a pair of scores, but this team is going to be leaning on those two until they mature and will need more.

On the positive side Braswell was very good in goal and the defense was excellent as was their fogo and riding.

Lots of ranked opponents over the next few weeks could really expose the offensive issues if current players don’t grow quickly. It starts in a week at Dickinson.
laxrules

Re: MAC Freedomt

Post by laxrules »

viper wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:36 pm
laxrules wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:18 pm Watched online. Hey ducks how about some shooting drills?! The leading returning scorer took 16 shots for 2 goals.
Probably a little of both. Swat goalie looks good, but telegraphing shots not changing levels, lots of dropping stick and shooting low made it easy for goalie to be in position.

Looks like a tough transition after the loss of midfield scoring and a very effective x attackman. Their high scorer was an ssdm coming in to the game and ended up playing lots of offense in second half. They got nothing at the X today either. The attack leaders Monteleone and Gebhart each had a pair of scores, but this team is going to be leaning on those two until they mature and will need more.

On the positive side Braswell was very good in goal and the defense was excellent as was their fogo and riding.

Lots of ranked opponents over the next few weeks could really expose the offensive issues if current players don’t grow quickly. It starts in a week at Dickinson.
I AGREE. Tough schedule could be either a good tool to help growth or something that could be a setback. The ducks ooc schedule is ridiculous!
viper

Post by viper »

Tough loss for Stevens on the road at Dickinson yesterday (13-12). First half for Stevens seemed to be a continuation of Swarthmore. Poor shooting resulted in only 3 goals and not much production from the midfield.

The good news for Stevens is that they made some excellent halftime adjustments. Most notably running the offense from attack vice from midfield. Combined with soft defense around the crease, they were seemingly able to find the offense that we saw last season, putting up 9 in the second half. Including an excellent play to tie the game with just seconds left in the game.

Three straight home games now. Including Haverford Wednesday, Springfield next Saturday and then number 1 Salisbury a week from Wednesday. Only a handful of practices in their to find answers if there is to be an upset in Hoboken against number.
Last edited by viper on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

viper wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:47 am Tough loss for Stevens on the road at Dickinson yesterday (13-12). First half for Stevens seemed to be a continuation of Swarthmore. Poor shooting resulted in only 3 goals and not much production from the midfield.

The good news for Stevens is that they made some excellent halftime adjustments. Most notably running the offense from attack vice from midfield. Combined with soft defense around the crease, they were seemingly able to find the offense that we saw last season, putting up 9 in the second half. Including an excellent play to tie the game with just seconds left in the game. Last week I complained about production from the X, this week they initially moved Monteleone from right to X to put Nico Ipecker at right attack and by keeping Nico in for most of the game - he paid dividends with 6 goals and an assist. Braswell struggled in goal in the first half, leading to Conor Green (freshman) playing the second half. His stat line was not reflective of his day though (7 ga, 5 saves). He made some excellent saves including two in OT. Connor Murphy and the faceoff wings were also excellent getting 22/29 on the day.

The concern with the team now is that late in the game Shaun Coutler (SSDM) was playing two way replacing other midfield options that were not producing. In addition, Monteleone was moved to anchor the midfield in the second half as well (from attack) and was even in on the wing for a few faceoffs. In addition, Dickinson was running several fogos against Murphy (exclusively). Seemed that keeping players on the field (by necessity or otherwise) may have resulted in a team on fumes for the OT. If that was not the case, I believe it will be before long with the schedule ahead. Hopefully, they can find some help currently on the bench as the season progresses.

Three straight home games now. Including Haverford Wednesday, Springfield next Saturday and then number 1 Salisbury a week from Wednesday. Only a handful of practices in their to find answers if there is to be an upset in Hoboken against number.
if you are a stevens fan?, then you may want to not offer a scouting report on who is playing where! :roll: :oops:
viper

Post by viper »

I didn't think I was offering anything that wasn't already available in the live/on-demand stream and box score. However, if there is a sensitivity, then consider your point taken.
Last edited by viper on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Teams scout opponents on film in any case. There is nothing they can get here that they don't already know from watching film.
viper

Post by viper »

ergit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:43 am Teams scout opponents on film in any case. There is nothing they can get here that they don't already know from watching film.
I would also add that I would be very surprised if any coach/player was on here at all. And if so it wouldn't be for anything other than entertainment (using that term liberally) purposes. If they were looking for scouting information from essentially anonymous posters on an unmoderated forum, it would make me question their judgement just a bit.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

loose lips sink ships!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”