Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Sagittarius A* »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 am
Hoponboard wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:28 am Most recent Jays win in the series was 2017: 14-13 on an OT Tinney vintage goal before a large crowd at Homewood. Forry tied the contest deep in regulation and Logan made a great save on Sherlock in OT. It was one of Shack’s best games. Cole made a memorable trail check to stop a Hounds fast break.

https://youtu.be/yeNHZdKPv7Q
Classic game and thrilling OT. Thanks for sharing. Hoping tomorrow's battle is equally exciting and fun to watch. Two outstanding programs.

Bundle up. Gonna be cold. :)
What is the strength of Loyola's team this year?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

From what I can see is they have a solid face off guy. A very solid d that loves to take off and run. Limiting their transition game will be huge. Oh and figuring out their zone would be a good idea. Benson struggles against zones without guys like Brown or Frazier.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 am When games were played at 2:00 on Saturdays and the season started in the middle of March the lines to get in stretched out to University to get in. Now Gabe’s at at 4 PM on Friday nights or Sundays or whatever and are broadcast or streamed. That seldom happened in the past. $$$ over attendance

attendance at sporting events is down across the board for NCAA games.

I doubt more emphasis here will make much of a difference who is going to do the work? The staff already works long hours. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be tried I just don’t see a large IRR
All good points but you know what also brings out people - winning. Something Hopkins hasn't done enough of over the last decade.

Would that cure the attendance issues? No, but it sure would help.

Not starting the season in February would also help. The fact teams (and this is not Hopkins specific) can't play a couple of mid-week games is absurd. Most of these kids played 2-3 games a week in HS. I understand the end of the season is anchored on Memorial Day Weekend, which makes the number of weeks to get games in a moving target. But, it has been like that for 30+ years and up until about a decade ago most teams started their seasons around March 1st - give or take a week. There should be no reason, why they don't do that now. The game isn't that taxing that you can't play 2-3 midweek games over the course of a season.

The NCAA should step in and say - season has 12-13ish weeks with end point being Memorial Day Weekend (3 playoff weekends, 1 conference tournament weekend and 8-9 weeks for games). Each team is allowed however many events that have now (games plus conference tournaments plus whatever you are allowed for scrimmages and fall ball) but real games can't start until the last weekend of February (for Dukes of the world). You can't start real practices until February 1st. If you want to have a game 3 week later - fine. Now, go figure it out.

IIRC, one of the reasons teams start the season so early now is that the earlier they start having games, the earlier they can start holding practices. i.e. the day you can have your first practice is driven on the day you have your first game (at least it was in the past). The more practices you can hold, in theory, the better you will be. Not sure I necessarily completely agree with that point.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

More good points. No doubt winning more would boost attendance
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Just watched the Towson game with an eye towards defense especially close defense and goalie work. I would be very pleased with Darby’s performance. Take away the transition “good luck stopping that” goals, his percent would be near 80%.

For D pole work, working backwards from only 7 goals allowed means good job. Fundamentally, better job recovering from a dodge than preventing the dodge which is what you see with younger poles learning the speed on advanced DI.

It is just one game but terrible start for someone who hates the band.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Jhu99 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm Why do you hate Cornell? Get a life. You’re a big bad Hopkins lax bad ass that no one remembers so you’re mad that people actually acknowledge Cornell? Get a life! Some people are passionate about the sport and they don’t need a direct connection to care about the program. People like you make me hate being from Baltimore and being apart of the “lacrosse elite”.
I've said many times his stuff on social media is great, many ppl on here I respect complain about his dave puddy act at games, but my point was a lot of programs post videos at beginning of season of coaches meeting freshmen at orientation to introduce the program. If they want to fill up the student section, especially coming off a lost decade, the kids are right there. As for the weather, my first game as a student was against albany 2003, snow was as high on the sidelines as the fence, we all went.

Back to the lacrosse, on the broadcast they repeatedly brought up the lack of a shooter now that marr is gone.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Plus he has his own thread. Cornell 2020.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 am Just watched the Towson game with an eye towards defense especially close defense and goalie work. I would be very pleased with Darby’s performance. Take away the transition “good luck stopping that” goals, his percent would be near 80%.

For D pole work, working backwards from only 7 goals allowed means good job. Fundamentally, better job recovering from a dodge than preventing the dodge which is what you see with younger poles learning the speed on advanced DI.

It is just one game but terrible start for someone who hates the band.
Gezz...you'd think Hop fans would hope the band haters would do well going forward. ;)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The band will die off too. We are all doomed.

BTW, the athletic dept did NOT pay to send the band to South Bend last year.

How’s that for athletic support?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

S-in-JohnS-is-usually-shit
S-in-JohnS-is-usually-shit
20437AF0-3189-4F49-94CA-EF1EB59DD4C0.jpeg (140.08 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36 pm The band will die off too. We are all doomed.

BTW, the athletic dept did NOT pay to send the band to South Bend last year.

How’s that for athletic support?
Was the band even there at Homewood in 2018? I thought they just generally didn't go to playoff games.
jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 am Back to the lacrosse, on the broadcast they repeatedly brought up the lack of a shooter now that marr is gone.
Degnon looks pretty good shooting from the lefty wing. And probably only a matter of time before Murphy starts making an impact on the other side.

Attendance discussion is so played out. Can't force students to go if they don't want to. The school has done plenty to drum up interest. It's out of their control. The students just aren't interested. Perhaps winning will cure all ills. I was frankly surprised to see any students there at all last weekend considering it was a February game against one of our historically "lesser" rivals. Against good opponents when the weather's nice, the student section can get pretty full, but short of that, it just doesn't happen anymore. Even in spite of all that, Homewood still consistently draws one of the biggest crowds in the sport. Other schools have it much worse than we do.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Does the NCAA forbid schools from sending bands?
Can't sell beer in the Dome during play off games.
Maybe ND paid Hop to leave their band at home?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:28 pm Plus he has his own thread. Cornell 2020.
awesome
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 am
NovaHound wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 am
Hoponboard wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:28 am Most recent Jays win in the series was 2017: 14-13 on an OT Tinney vintage goal before a large crowd at Homewood. Forry tied the contest deep in regulation and Logan made a great save on Sherlock in OT. It was one of Shack’s best games. Cole made a memorable trail check to stop a Hounds fast break.

https://youtu.be/yeNHZdKPv7Q
Classic game and thrilling OT. Thanks for sharing. Hoping tomorrow's battle is equally exciting and fun to watch. Two outstanding programs.

Bundle up. Gonna be cold. :)
What is the strength of Loyola's team this year?
Good question - still trying to figure that out. I would say that LSM McNulty leads a very good Rope Unit and the play off the Wings on Face Off's, helping FOGO Savio, is a strength. These guys will move it into transition quickly but with only one game under their belt it's hard to say how effective they are, or could become. This Unit has relentless hustle. Depth at each position, particularly midfield, might become a strength since there is not that much drop off in talent or athleticism there, but a lot of new faces trying to get into the mix. Attack - still trying build that chemistry, but with Lindley and Olmstead there you can not call it a weakness. Need one more solid piece to add to the dynamic duo and it becomes a strength. Defense - could be a strength. Lots of talent and athleticism there and with the return of several defenders to the lineup it should become a strength. For Hop - good that you are playing the Hounds early because I expect them to improve dramatically over the course of the season. Last year, with Spencer, Stover and Scanlon, Hounds started hot, slowed down a little, (not from effort but just having various players banged up) until the tournament and Cuse. Stover absolutely stepped up to protect some leads and reenergize the team. I would say the High Water mark for Loyola last year was Hopkins. Should be interesting game.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:59 pm Does the NCAA forbid schools from sending bands?
B1G rule = no visiting bands -- obviously money (f***ball) driven
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:59 pm Does the NCAA forbid schools from sending bands?
B1G rule = no visiting bands -- obviously money (f***ball) driven
Is it also an issue that the pep band is mostly non-students - if I understand that correctly? I have zero clue but what if a kid of the trombone player was a stud lacrosse player and Hopkins paid for the mom or dad to go to South Bend?

My take from watching Loyola: nice fast team. Attack can carry the ball and create. They showed some early season rust with shot selection even those that went on goal. Defensive man to man issues with UVA is more UVA than Hounds. 50% of your 1st six offensive players could be 1st or 2nd AA's and then throw Laviano and Cormier and others in the mix - Crossing 4 lanes of traffic - Good luck Everybody! If I was an opposing DC I would do everything I could to make the midfield's beat you. Almost an absolute necessity to win more face-offs than you lose and take way better care of the ball than you did last year. If you can't stand up to their pressure you will lose plain and simple. Darby has to show up and steal one or two. Zinn will be a key component to clearing and the midfield O = he must have a more complete game than just the flashes against Towson. Hoos gave Hounds 7 bites at the EMO apple and Loyola went for 42% It would be a good idea to flip that part of the script. I am going to hazard a guess that a player that hurt the knee he was wearing a brace on and went immediately to the locker room and came out in street clothes is not going to dress tomorrow. For some reason I have a sense no Epstein or a limited Epstein as well so while it may pay dividends down the road - this hurts for tomorrow.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

As we suspected this might be a very weak Towson 2020 team. They are currently losing to the Mount in the 3rd quarter. Changes perspective a bit.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm As we suspected this might be a very weak Towson 2020 team. They are currently losing to the Mount in the 3rd quarter. Changes perspective a bit.
Lost 11-10. Can't count on that being a quality win come selection time.

On the bright side, Navy and Delaware have both looked impressive so far this season. Perhaps one or both of those will present quality win opportunities.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm As we suspected this might be a very weak Towson 2020 team. They are currently losing to the Mount in the 3rd quarter. Changes perspective a bit.
Yep, Final

MSM 11
Towson 10

Next up for Towson: Cornell on Friday

Pull out the big eraser and wipe out any hopes of Towson being a quality win this year.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I can't say I'm surprised the Mount pulled out this win, but boy some terrible choices in the last 45 seconds.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”