Survey Question - Crosschecking

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Survey Question - Crosschecking

Post by wlaxnut »

It is more than obvious that the NCAA wasn't at all serious about this particular point of emphasis that was supposed to have been introduced this season:

“Cross Checks

The committee encourages officials to call cross checking consistently. The foul
cross check has been moved from its prior foul categorization under illegal use of
the stick to its own distinct foul. It is illegal for a player to initiate stick-to-body
contact and use the shaft of the stick to hit, push or displace an opponent. Cross
checking often occurs when a player plays an opponent’s body, and not the ball.
Specifically, cross checking an opponent from the rear position is dangerous and
has the potential to cause physical harm. The committee encourages officials to
card forceful stick-to-body contact to an opponent’s head, neck, shoulders, and
back. The committee also encourages coaches to instruct their players to slow or
stop an opponent’s progress without using dangerous or illegal means."

Here is my question:

What kind of feedback have you received from the players themselves? Do you get the sense that they are displeased or do they consider it a part of the game that they're okay with?

Please observe--this is not a question about how parents feel about this issue, but only what they have heard from their daughters, or student athletes who may have played for them, etc.
Dr. Tact

Re: Survey Question - Crosschecking

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:52 pm
What kind of feedback have you received from the players themselves? Do you get the sense that they are displeased or do they consider it a part of the game that they're okay with?

Please observe--this is not a question about how parents feel about this issue, but only what they have heard from their daughters, or student athletes who may have played for them, etc.
I'll ask...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:52 pm

I'll ask...
Thanks, Doc.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

feedback from D...."its just part of the game at this point...I dont think it needs to be its own foul, and if it is I doubt it will be called much....only the very obvious and bad ones get called anyways....it is how most defenders make contact now...no one really comes in and touches the opponent with their forearms and stick vertical hugging a tree-style..."
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:02 pm feedback from D...."its just part of the game at this point...I dont think it needs to be its own foul, and if it is I doubt it will be called much....only the very obvious and bad ones get called anyways....it is how most defenders make contact now...no one really comes in and touches the opponent with their forearms and stick vertical hugging tree-style..."
This confirms what I thought. I'm interested to hear what others say but I think I have my answer. I appreciate you asking. Thank you--both.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

This is from my D...

I think it's fine as long as you don't get knocked down or it doesn't clearly affect the play

Coming off a very physical game, where it seemed to have different criteria inside the 8 (called) vs outside the 8 (not called)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxDad23 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 pm different criteria inside the 8 (called) vs outside the 8 (not called)
So true....critical scoring area is a reasonable criteria for many fouls, but shouldn't be for Crosschecking...of course, that is wishful thinking...
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxDad23 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:25 pm This is from my D...

I think it's fine as long as you don't get knocked down or it doesn't clearly affect the play

Coming off a very physical game, where it seemed to have different criteria inside the 8 (called) vs outside the 8 (not called)
Thanks LaxDad. Appreciate you asking and responding.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:05 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:02 pm feedback from D...."its just part of the game at this point...I dont think it needs to be its own foul, and if it is I doubt it will be called much....only the very obvious and bad ones get called anyways....it is how most defenders make contact now...no one really comes in and touches the opponent with their forearms and stick vertical hugging tree-style..."
This confirms what I thought. I'm interested to hear what others say but I think I have my answer. I appreciate you asking. Thank you--both.
All of these attackers should be wearing bicep pads. The bruises are insane from the cross checks.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:44 pm All of these attackers should be wearing bicep pads. The bruises are insane from the cross checks.
Any feedback from what was originally requested?
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:52 pm It is more than obvious that the NCAA wasn't at all serious about this particular point of emphasis that was supposed to have been introduced this season:

“Cross Checks

The committee encourages officials to call cross checking consistently. The foul
cross check has been moved from its prior foul categorization under illegal use of
the stick to its own distinct foul. It is illegal for a player to initiate stick-to-body
contact and use the shaft of the stick to hit, push or displace an opponent. Cross
checking often occurs when a player plays an opponent’s body, and not the ball.
Specifically, cross checking an opponent from the rear position is dangerous and
has the potential to cause physical harm. The committee encourages officials to
card forceful stick-to-body contact to an opponent’s head, neck, shoulders, and
back. The committee also encourages coaches to instruct their players to slow or
stop an opponent’s progress without using dangerous or illegal means."

Here is my question:

From O....most of it is not that bad, part of the game. Some teams/players push the envelope.

Given the rule as stated above, nothing you can do about the bruised arms. I watched one game last year where two sticks were broken on the same player's arm in the same game and neither were even called fouls. By the letter of the law maybe that was right, but struck me as odd. I would like to find a way to eliminate the Cuse strategy of cross checking to stop clears up the field, without changing the game. Realize it is Legal, but seems like it shouldn't be. Not saying other teams don't do it too, but they make it pretty obvious.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm From O....most of it is not that bad, part of the game. Some teams/players push the envelope.

Given the rule as stated above, nothing you can do about the bruised arms. I watched one game last year where two sticks were broken on the same player's arm in the same game and neither were even called fouls. By the letter of the law maybe that was right, but struck me as odd. I would like to find a way to eliminate the Cuse strategy of cross checking to stop clears up the field, without changing the game. Realize it is Legal, but seems like it shouldn't be. Not saying other teams don't do it too, but they make it pretty obvious.
What do you mean by, "From O"?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm I would like to find a way to eliminate the Cuse strategy of cross checking to stop clears up the field, without changing the game. Realize it is Legal, but seems like it shouldn't be. Not saying other teams don't do it too, but they make it pretty obvious.
Going a bit off-topic here Nut, sorry, but responding to the above...the 3 fouls to the green card has definitely allowed the 2 foul strategy of slowing the other team...if you can get to them and its foul # 1 or 2, why not foul them. Not that I endorse fouling in general , but it shuts the break down...I can see why a team does it.

What I would like is more "persistent infringement" type calls...As a ref (which I am not, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn express last year), if I see one team taking advantage of the rules, as described above, I warn the bench then start throwing cards. Not sure if that would be a Green card to the bench or a yellow to the bench or player....that would locally stop the unnecessary cross-checking to slow the break.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:54 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm From O....most of it is not that bad, part of the game. Some teams/players push the envelope.

Maybe instead of D, he calls his daughter O?....I kid...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:57 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm I would like to find a way to eliminate the Cuse strategy of cross checking to stop clears up the field, without changing the game. Realize it is Legal, but seems like it shouldn't be. Not saying other teams don't do it too, but they make it pretty obvious.
Going a bit off-topic here Nut, sorry, but responding to the above...the 3 fouls to the green card has definitely allowed the 2 foul strategy of slowing the other team...if you can get to them and its foul # 1 or 2, why not foul them. Not that I endorse fouling in general , but it shuts the break down...I can see why a team does it.

What I would like is more "persistent infringement" type calls...As a ref (which I am not, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn express last year), if I see one team taking advantage of the rules, as described above, I warn the bench then start throwing cards. Not sure if that would be a Green card to the bench or a yellow to the bench or player....that would locally stop the unnecessary cross-checking to slow the break.
I understand Doc. I’ll post another exhortation shortly.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

To any future contributors to this particular thread, may I suggest that if you want to discuss your opinions about crosschecking in the game, please refer to a previously established thread available on these boards entitled Rule Changes We’d Like To See, if you would be so kind. I really only want to get feedback from the players themselves if they are sharing information with you or something you may have heard secondhand from the players themselves – not parents or fans – please. I would be most grateful.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:57 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:54 pm

Maybe instead of D, he calls his daughter O?....I kid...
I meant from Offense. Assume the other poster mean from Defense?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 pm I meant from Offense. Assume the other poster mean from Defense?
D stands for Daughter on these boards. Something I have come to learn over the years here.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Better make that DD. :lol:
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 am Better make that DD. :lol:
You have two daughters playing? I’m sure we would all be interested in their feedback if you get a chance.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”