Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 am
houndace1 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 am
loyola11 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:44 pm just heard on the IL podcast that Hughes is still recovering from his torn ACL last season

also noting that the staff really believes that Jack Decker can be the alpha male in terms of physicality from the midfield...

Interesting..
I heard that Hughes was disciplinary and would not play first two games.

As for an alpha male at middie, they need to find some one... hope for a good week of practice and get a win. If we win on Saturday, IMO we can beat Rutgers and Towson. Be a great game against Duke. Coming out of the first five 3-2 would be amazing leading into patriot league play
you've gotta be kidding me. He can't play the first two games which are opportunities to help the team come pick up significant wins to help in possible post season play? An enforcer on D who can scoop up ground balls and he wasn't allowed to play due to disciplinary reasons.

Quite unfortunate but wish we could have him back for Hop

Also lets say we go 3-2 in the first 5 out of conference games. Dont forget Georgetown who is becoming a significant opportunity as well for a possible big win
Are you suggesting that winning is more important than culture of the team. Any one that knows Toomey, knows that he has a set of rules, and if you break them you pay the price... Maybe the player should not have been so selfish and not broken the rules?
Nooo noo I phrased that horribly. The reaction was how he unfortunately wasn’t able to play in 2 games that serve for resume builders to potentially get into post season play. If the vibe was that I was attacking the player for his actions - then i sincerely apologize.

Winning has meaning, but culture and relationships between players and coaches is what is more important in the long run.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Liked what Greying Hound had to say about Shaffer. Totally agree.

Picking this game - it's a toss up. I believe teams are evenly matched, but there's a lot more optimism on the Hop thread so take that for what it's worth.... :lol: And if we look at Polls Hopkins is ranked higher than Loyola, and therefore, I'm hoping for an upset. :D

Heard that Quint favors Loyola in this one but the fact is the Hounds are still working on their offensive chemistry. If they can find it before Saturday that's great. If not, could be a long afternoon at Ridley. Hounds have to find that reliable player on offense who can feed the ball to Lindley and I'm sure Coach MVA has been working on that this week.

Toomey will have his team ready and they will give it all they have. Guess we need to be there Saturday to see how it unfolds. As a Hound homer I'm picking Loyola in an upset.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

The first test in UVA showed me these boys are in fact top-tier D1 athletes and are can hang with anyone in the country. Talking heads expected a talent dropoff from Loyola and it didn't really happen. That was the main positive I took out of the last game. Now to keep building and fine tune things. There's not a better staff in college lax at coaching kids up. Toomey used to sit with me in the dinner hall and walk me through the sets I didn't understand on napkins... :lol: Hes just a great guy and good coach. He loves his people and the game! There's no doiubt in my mind these kids will be as ready as possible this season.

I have a strange feeling this year, more than others, will be all about the journey. Lots of new faces getting their shots. The fact that many of us who follow the program as closely as we do have whiffed on lineup predictions tells me the competition is real. That''s awesome to see and a helluva statement about the Loyola program. Toomey told me a few years ago that if you make the Loyola roster, you are a difference maker and you have a shot at contributing. That's awesome. It wasn't bs. It's culture. I love it.

For Hop, I hope the team:
-Changes defensive sets quicker - m2m to start sets and shifting to zone on restarts quicker and more often than last game. Keep Hopkins guessing early or in key situations.
-Shoots better. They did the hard part- getting open and beating their men. Now focus on finishing. More overhand, "boring" shots- changing planes, get the goalie to move, use bouncers, hiding that stick behind the helmet, shooting out of the dodge a step sooner/ quicker, use the defender as a goalie screen.

Regardless of the outcome, as long as these boys keep playing hard and grinding, I'm very excited about this year as a whole. That's somethign that not all teams do.

Time to start hanging some pelts on the wall!

:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 am The first test in UVA showed me these boys are in fact top-tier D1 athletes and are can hang with anyone in the country. Talking heads expected a talent dropoff from Loyola and it didn't really happen. That was the main positive I took out of the last game. Now to keep building and fine tune things. There's not a better staff in college lax at coaching kids up. Toomey used to sit with me in the dinner hall and walk me through the sets I didn't understand on napkins... :lol: Hes just a great guy and good coach. He loves his people and the game! There's no doiubt in my mind these kids will be as ready as possible this season.

I have a strange feeling this year, more than others, will be all about the journey. Lots of new faces getting their shots. The fact that many of us who follow the program as closely as we do have whiffed on lineup predictions tells me the competition is real. That''s awesome to see and a helluva statement about the Loyola program. Toomey told me a few years ago that if you make the Loyola roster, you are a difference maker and you have a shot at contributing. That's awesome. It wasn't bs. It's culture. I love it.

-Changes defensive sets quicker - m2m to start sets and shifting to zone on restarts quicker and more often than last game. Keep Hopkins guessing early or in key situations.
-Shoots better. They did the hard part- getting open and beating their men. Now focus on finishing. More overhand, "boring" shots- changing planes, get the goalie to move, use bouncers, hiding that stick behind the helmet, shooting out of the dodge a step sooner/ quicker, use the defender as a goalie screen.

Regardless of the outcome, as long as these boys keep playing hard and grinding, I'm very excited about this year as a whole. That's somethign that not all teams do.

Thatsmell with the money quote of the year so far on FanLax!!! True true.

(not only do we have the best team and the best stadium, remarkably we have the best posters!!)

Hounds by 10
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am
thatsmell wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 am The first test in UVA showed me these boys are in fact top-tier D1 athletes and are can hang with anyone in the country. Talking heads expected a talent dropoff from Loyola and it didn't really happen. That was the main positive I took out of the last game. Now to keep building and fine tune things. There's not a better staff in college lax at coaching kids up. Toomey used to sit with me in the dinner hall and walk me through the sets I didn't understand on napkins... :lol: Hes just a great guy and good coach. He loves his people and the game! There's no doiubt in my mind these kids will be as ready as possible this season.

(not only do we have the best team and the best stadium, remarkably we have the best posters!!)

Hounds by 10
kramerica willing to wager you heavily if you give 16
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am

Hounds by 10
kramerica willing to wager you heavily if you give 16

I'm pushing the betting line by 2 every game til we win; if we go 0-13, then play Lehigh in season finale, my spread will be 34 for Lehigh, at which time I'll buy anyone their beer of choice anyway because I'll be clinically insane.

Too much talent on this squad! Let the dogs out, Charlie! Let McNulty run wild! Aiden: go to the cage! Get my man Najee in the mix...dude could outrun an entire team on any clear.

More soberingly, Bailey will have a tougher test this weekend than the UVA FOGO. Wings need to be amped up and smart.

Best sport in the world! Let's go Hounds!
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Love it :D ThatSmell said it best, "I have a strange feeling this year, more than others, will be all about the journey". Couldn't agree more. Just keep getting better each day in practice, compete with each other, and let the Coaches decide the best lineup. Loyola has the best Coaches, staff and fans. Like I've said in previous posts, "Trust in Toomey". I believe Hounds will be ok and even really good by the time the Patriot Tourney rolls around (as long as the injury bug doesn't strike). Go Hounds!! :D
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola had hot new black lids against UVA.
Hounds totally on fleek.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm Loyola had hot new black lids against UVA.
Hounds totally on fleek.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Those are righteous lids. Look kinda like skunks from way up high in the bleachers. Bring on “the big stink”. That’s a positive admonition from the young un’s.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wish the coaches would agree to postpone Saturday's game to Sunday. Practically a 20 degree difference in temperature, Saturday will be bone-chilling.
molo

Post by molo »

Not a bad idea and doable since travel is not an issue but I don’t think a postponement is likely. Weather should be similar to last year’s UVA game—bitter but not as bad as some March games I’ve been to where the actual temperature was in the 20s or any number of games played in the worst weather for fans—just above freezing and raining. At least it will be dry. Plus, I found out about a month ago that I’m eight per cent Swedish and two per cent Norwegian. I’ll just layer up and summon my inner Scandanavian although drawing on a bit of the Irish solution may be in order.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Will it be as cold as the Towson game last year? - that was cold :D I guess some fans may need adult beverages to fortify (or insulate) themselves. And thank goodness Hounds don't play Colgate early in the season - great scheduling there by Staff.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am Wish the coaches would agree to postpone Saturday's game to Sunday. Practically a 20 degree difference in temperature, Saturday will be bone-chilling.
It will be chilly, I am planning on watching both the Men and Women, although I'll probably have a few A Bevs to at least make me feel that I am warm....All the concrete in Ridley holds the cold and it just goes through your shoes....
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:56 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am Wish the coaches would agree to postpone Saturday's game to Sunday. Practically a 20 degree difference in temperature, Saturday will be bone-chilling.
It will be chilly, I am planning on watching both the Men and Women, although I'll probably have a few A Bevs to at least make me feel that I am warm....All the concrete in Ridley holds the cold and it just goes through your shoes....
Add in the wind and a cloudy day...worse then The Mount's tundra! :lol:
molo

Post by molo »

At least the wind should be out of the NW, thus partially blocked by the stadium. We just got back from a two hour hike in northern Baltimore County. It wasn’t bad, but we were moving all the time.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

molo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm Not a bad idea and doable since travel is not an issue but I don’t think a postponement is likely. Weather should be similar to last year’s UVA game—bitter but not as bad as some March games I’ve been to where the actual temperature was in the 20s or any number of games played in the worst weather for fans—just above freezing and raining. At least it will be dry. Plus, I found out about a month ago that I’m eight per cent Swedish and two per cent Norwegian. I’ll just layer up and summon my inner Scandanavian although drawing on a bit of the Irish solution may be in order.
Haha, your inner Scandinavian (plus Irish elixir) should shine tomorrow. Great point about it being dry though. The worst conditions I can remember were at a mid-week game against UMBC in 2013. It was freezing cold with a torrential down poor. I just looked it up, and the box score says there were 442 in attendance, but I swear there weren't more than 20 people in the stands. Justin Ward went off for 10 points with no one was there to enjoy it. Everyone went into the restrooms at halftime to warm up, and I ended up talking to Coach Pietramala. He was very cordial, and when I told him I was tired of losing to Hopkins in OT every year, he said he would take our 2012 NC trophy over an OT win any day.

I hope never to be that cold and wet again. :)
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm Will it be as cold as the Towson game last year? - that was cold :D I guess some fans may need adult beverages to fortify (or insulate) themselves. And thank goodness Hounds don't play Colgate early in the season - great scheduling there by Staff.
Yeah, the Towson game last year was brutal. It didn't help that I missed the whole first quarter standing in line to buy a ticket after a 70-mile drive took me 4 hours. I'm hoping for an all-round better experience tomorrow!
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

YES! I will be wearing triple layers, and I have no doubt that my feet will be frozen blocks of ice by the end of the game.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 pm
YES! I will be wearing triple layers, and I have no doubt that my feet will be frozen blocks of ice by the end of the game.
At least there is another soul who will be like me.... Stomping feet... The best or least kept secret is the heater in the men's room is always hot😎🐕🐶

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”