Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 pm am I correct we haven't swept loyola/towson since 2012?
Whatever it is, it’s been forever as in a blue moon.

And I hate Blue Moon. That’s a white Coors with an orange slice.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I really miss laxpower’s ratings and scores database. Being able to look at current and multiple past season records and scores was awesome.

It would also be nice to have a place where you could see all current scores on a Saturday.

NCAA website has the games for each day but is super slow to update them. In today’s age with access at the fingertips, it sucks that lax has no good resource.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 pm I really miss laxpower’s ratings and scores database. Being able to look at current and multiple past season records and scores was awesome.

It would also be nice to have a place where you could see all current scores on a Saturday.

NCAA website has the games for each day but is super slow to update them. In today’s age with access at the fingertips, it sucks that lax has no good resource.
Laf (aka Laxpower) has updated his new site with historic Laxpower type data.

http://www.laxbytes.com/2020_MD1_archives.php

And, there’s always Lax.com, not entirely maintained, but ok.

https://www.lax.com/team?url_name=loyol ... &year=2020
Last edited by 10stone5 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 pm It would also be nice to have a place where you could see all current scores on a Saturday.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DI/scores ? They do a decent job of keeping it updated.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Thank you both!

:D
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:41 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 pm am I correct we haven't swept loyola/towson since 2012?
Whatever it is, it’s been forever as in a blue moon.

And I hate Blue Moon. That’s a white Coors with an orange slice.
Hey, there’s no room for such small minded beer-ism on these boards. Have a little empathy.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jaronski's hit on the Towson FOGO is all over social media. I cannot scroll through Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram without several people in my feed arguing about it. Pretty interesting. Most agree with Dixon's call that it was a good clean hit. Two hands on the stick, shoulder to chest, within 5 yards of the ball. Lacrosse does not have a "defenseless player" rule like football does. Maybe it should. Even if it did, tough to tell if the Towson player was actually defenseless. He was focused on the ball—would have seen Jaronski coming toward him if his head was up. Not buckling the chinstrap also made it look worse than it was.

The game this weekend will be streamed here: https://watchstadium.com/live/johns-hop ... aryland-2/

Obvious questions:
1) Does Epstein play, and if so, how much, and where does that put Murphy/Smith/Baskin
2) Can Darby and the defense follow it up
3) How far will our dear friend Peter Brown move the goalposts if the result does not turn out positively for the Greyhounds
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Hopkins LaxPhan received a special 40th birthday present in 2018.
Just saw this in my Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 31744?s=21
Last edited by Hoponboard on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molo

Post by molo »

I would not count on Epstein's playing. Any update on Concannon? Assuming neither plays, I think the team that played most of Saturday still has enough offensive contributors to win. To me the question is about Loyola's d. Will we see the team that couldn't contain UVA man to man--which hardly makes them unique--or the team that held UVA to three second half goals when they went primarily to zone?
How about face-offs? Prouty and Narewski are an effective one-two pair. Will Savio fare as well against them as he did against LaSalla?
Hopkins' d looked dominant against a Towson team that was short a couple of players projected to see significant time. Is the d better than anticipated or is Towson, as someone suggested less diplomatically, still an emerging team? The bigger, deeper pool of ssdms is an upgrade.
I may be overrating Loyola to some extent because I was so impressed with their second half showing against a UVA team that I had rated number one. They did, their second half nothwithstanding, lose the game. Hopkins, who I thought would have problems without their best player, got an expectedly big game from Williams, a DeSimone game worthy of his reputation, and several nice goals and assists from new faces. Both teams, despite some tough criticism from their fan bases, looked better to me than I expected them to this early.
I'm tempted to lean toward the Hounds in a close one given home field advantage, but I think at this point I'm going with the team that won last week to make it two in a row. I'll still take the free sandwich if I'm wrong.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Bundle up if you’re going to Houndstown on Saturday. Game time temps of 35 will feel like 25 with a 14 mph wind.
molo

Post by molo »

And it gets shady early with the stands on the western side of the stadium.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Notes have been posted. After Petro won 13 in a row, Jays have dropped 5 out of last 6 to Hounds.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hopkinssports. ... Loyola.pdf
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:58 pm Notes have been posted. After Petro won 13 in a row, Jays have dropped 5 out of last 6 to Hounds.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hopkinssports. ... Loyola.pdf
Seems like those weekly "projected lineups" are a thing of the past. Might as well at this point—they never actually gave away pertinent info. On the list of "key personnel," the only changes from last week are Lyne has moved from LSM to D and Degnon has moved from attack to midfield.

Williams' 7 points last week were the most for a season opener in five years
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

That's the second video on top of the 2342 pictures they've posted with the 42 year old superfan. How about one of him walking 100 yards over to terrace to introduce himself to the 1300 freshmen who've mostly never heard of him and to fire up support for the program.
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Why do you hate Cornell? Get a life. You’re a big bad Hopkins lax bad ass that no one remembers so you’re mad that people actually acknowledge Cornell? Get a life! Some people are passionate about the sport and they don’t need a direct connection to care about the program. People like you make me hate being from Baltimore and being apart of the “lacrosse elite”.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Jhu99 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm Why do you hate Cornell?
Great question. Allow me to speculate ———-
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Most recent Jays win in the series was 2017: 14-13 on an OT Tinney vintage goal before a large crowd at Homewood. Forry tied the contest deep in regulation and Logan made a great save on Sherlock in OT. It was one of Shack’s best games. Cole made a memorable trail check to stop a Hounds fast break.

https://youtu.be/yeNHZdKPv7Q
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’m going to stick up for 06 here. His main point isn’t what you talking about Willis. 06 has constantly stated that JHU does not do enough student engagement to get the student body to the stands. And even their social media show that lacking effort.

We’ve talked about attendance. Hopkins has an aging fanbase. At this point, it’s probably mostly distributed around age 50 and higher. Once they all die off, the stands will be far emptier.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

When games were played at 2:00 on Saturdays and the season started in the middle of March the lines to get in stretched out to University to get in. Now Gabe’s at at 4 PM on Friday nights or Sundays or whatever and are broadcast or streamed. That seldom happened in the past. $$$ over attendance

attendance at sporting events is down across the board for NCAA games.

I doubt more emphasis here will make much of a difference who is going to do the work? The staff already works long hours. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be tried I just don’t see a large IRR
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:28 am Most recent Jays win in the series was 2017: 14-13 on an OT Tinney vintage goal before a large crowd at Homewood. Forry tied the contest deep in regulation and Logan made a great save on Sherlock in OT. It was one of Shack’s best games. Cole made a memorable trail check to stop a Hounds fast break.

https://youtu.be/yeNHZdKPv7Q
Classic game and thrilling OT. Thanks for sharing. Hoping tomorrow's battle is equally exciting and fun to watch. Two outstanding programs.

Bundle up. Gonna be cold. :)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”