Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

amazing photos! thank you!!!
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Trumansburger wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:49 pm
RedIvy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm I’m curious how the FO units did, specifically Petrakis who is a freshman, as we all know this is the single biggest factor for 2020 success.
Last year's .384 FO percent gave more than 100 extra possessions to opponents. Additionally, opponents had 20 more EMO's due to the disparity in penalties. That's a lot of pressure on the defense.
Methinks QK has been reading our FanLax posts. From this morning's Inside Lacrosse, Quint's Top 20:

"10. Cornell Face-off and penalty differential in 2019 were glaring. The Big Red were minus-103 face-offs and committed 20 more time-serving fouls than opponents. They open with Albany this weekend."
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Cornell held its final intrasquad tune up on Sunday - sun shining and temps relatively mild on the Kopf. The teams were divided into two groups - expected starters/contributors in white and remainder of team in red supplemented with some excellent recent alums and others. Among those who returned and/or played were Pannell, Buczek, Stevens, Pettersen, Pulver, Macullough, Dowiak, etc. There certainly were a few others, but hard to pinpoint. The white team prevailed 18-10 in a full game format with refs and working clock. It looked to be a good overall test and tune up for the team against some high level talent. Observations:

* this was as close to a game setting as possible - full man up/down, timed quarters. Coaches on white team used a pretty short bench - probably very close to what we will see in the early season. The play was spirited and sharp. The team in general looked good, although it is hard to draw too many conclusions considering it was an intrasquad game. Having players the likes of RP and Connor B on the other team certainly helped raise the level of play.
* starters looked to be: attack (Teat, Piatelli, Long); 1st mid (Fletcher, Telesco, Donville); 2d mid (Lombardi, Licciardi, Coyle); def (Salvatore, Adler, Doria); ssdm (Bardwell, Buczek, Ruff, McFarlane); LSM (Bartolotto, Karey, Boccafola, Gosnell); Chase I in goal. The attack and goalie did not change for the entire four quarters. Certain Poles moved between LSM and close. Among those not dressed were Wolf, Fields, Duggan.
*. All FOGOs were playing fast and hard. Things seemed to be pretty even among the group. Hard for me to differentiate. Looked like Petrakis wins clamps often but the wings were collapsing quickly. Wish I had more analysis to offer here.
* Offense (my scoring estimates in parens): the ball moved very quickly all day. All six players at any given time (incl 2d midfield) are encouraged and have a green light to dodge.
*. Attack was very sharp. Teat (4A) mostly laid back and moved the ball efficiently. Limited but effective dodging from left wing. The defense obviously knew him well and it showed. Overplayed him most of day. He looks like he take what is available to him all year and will not force a dodge or pass if not there. Of course if needed he can carry the ball more and dodge harder. He just did not need to today. Always very impressive. Nothing to worry about. Piatelli (6G) was outstanding. Can do everything. Now dodging from wing and is a matchup problem. Scores in every way imaginable. Will be a top emerging player for team this year. Shot well, passed well and dodged well. Long (3,3) played X and looked very good. Extremely versatile. Scored diff ways - unassisted on dodge from X, on a feed to crease in tight and lastly from a rip out front. 2-3 bigs GBs and several precise assists. Seems to be in the right place alot of the time. He frees up 51 and 41 to play wings where they are excellent. He has the chance to be a big part of an already strong offense.
Midfield: first line is big and fast. Donville (3,3) is fantastic offensive player. Always in right place and scores from anywhere. Deceiving dodger. Made 5-6 great passes in addition to shots. Often is off ball and benefitting from Fletcher and Telesco dodges where defense has to rotate. Like 41 - he has emerged as a top talent. Should be huge year for him. Fletcher (1,1) and Telesco (3,1) big and strong downhill dodgers but also had several off ball goals. Both very effective. Telesco got some great looks off ball. Second line mids got a lot of action. Wolf did not dress so looked like Coyle going to get middie looks early on. All three very quick and get good separation thru quickness. Particularly Licciardi. Quick split dodges up top force rotation and opportunities. Just need to see him shoot more. Does a lot but don’t think I saw him attempt a shot. Lombardi (1G) looks quick and strong. Had nice goal on crease from JT but created 2-3 other good shots on his own. Took good care of ball also. Coyle (1,1) a very nice surprise at mid. He is a match up problem for an ssdm or weaker LSM. Very quick. Also a lefty which helps balance the field. Plays man up as well. May play more at mid initially than attack and as a result second line could get a real boost. Either way he looks to be an important part of the offense this year.
* Defense: overall looked good. While there was plenty of offensive talent on Red team, there was more individual play since they do not practice together. RP is as good as they come and he dodged a lot from X. Mostly looked to feed not shoot. Cutting game was lacking a bit. Biggest surprise was Adler who did very nice job on RP. Despite his size he is strong and plays good position defense and is aggressive. He will be a key player on the defense this year. Salvatore looked very good as usual. He can do everything well and gets the ball up off the ground better than anyone. Doria also played well and is imposing. Took an early slash - which can be an issue for him as we know.
* LSM and ssdm: the standouts here are Bardwell and Bartolotto. Bardwell is a force. All over field. Can cover big and fast mids (CB). Great in between lines. GB machine and can clear. Bartolotto not flashy but very good. Got several GBs from wing. Also very strong. G Buczek and McFarlene other ssdms - with Duggan expected back and will get a lot of time. Another pleasant surprise is Boccafolo. Big and fast. Good instincts. He was noticeable and can be an impact player at LSM. He will contribute this year.
* Goal: Chase in goal for white team. Bullen for red. Both looked sharp. Chase in particular looked game ready in all aspects. Goalie will again be a strength for the team this year.

While it was an overall good display of high level lacrosse, it was not against a team wearing different colored jerseys. So I think expectations should be tempered a bit. But this is an experienced offensive team that can score. The usual variables - face offs and defense - will dictate results. The schedule is a brutal one. The first seven games will be an extremely tough stretch. Just hope the boys can play to their potential early on and get some momentum.

Would love to see any other perspectives from Sunday. GBR!

VF
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Italy could field a competitive World Lacrosse team if they could add Cornell players of Italian descent
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Velvet, awesome recap. Thanks.

A couple things I really like about this. First, the fact the coaches put together such a competitive and actual game scenario for the squad heading into opening weekend. Good for them. Second was your point about all 6 players on the offensive side having the green light to dodge. In the couple games I've watched so far this spring, it seems like all too often a middie or attackman had the opportunity to beat his man, but opted to pass or pull up because of the "set" offense they are supposed to run. Don't get me wrong, as a coach I want the players to run the offense dictated, but to the point here, also have the freedom and IQ to take what's given to them. Hoping for big things from the big red this season.

Good luck this weekend!
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

VF - Great post. Thnx.

-Any idea why Coach M was unable or chose not to schedule a scrimmage against another D1 team? Perhaps the schedule/logistics just didn't work out. Regardless, I was surprised. The good news for this Saturday is that I believe it will be Albany's first game as well.
-Hopefully, Duggan will be back on Saturday. Also, my guess is that when Fields returns, Salvatore may move to back to LSM. While Salvatore stabilizes the group at close, as another fan has previously posted, he is more of a force at LSM. If he stays at close, I was pleasantly surprised at Bartolotto's improvement over the course of last season.
-Did Batson see the field? I thought he showed excellent quickness and field awareness in FallBall vs. Maryland.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Sounds like your D is better, already have a top goalie ,just dont get teams moving top lsm's down to close as dont see same impact. Someonepreviously pointed out that Big Red had deficit of 100 possessions due to fogo issues. Halve that and Cornell plays with anyone
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Any intel on TV/Streaming availability for the UAlbany game?
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 am Any intel on TV/Streaming availability for the UAlbany game?
Haven't been able to find any TV/streaming coverage. Nothing listed at WHCU or Albany radio. That leaves Live Stats, which can be flakey. Maybe that will change as game day approaches.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

UAlbany website has an ESPN link: https://ualbanysports.com/sports/mens- ... e/schedule

Can't tell if it's E3 or E+.
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2020/2/1 ... ition.aspx

Cornell athletics website with a pre-season preview.

VF
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ivyman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am UAlbany website has an ESPN link: https://ualbanysports.com/sports/mens- ... e/schedule Can't tell if it's E3 or E+.
I don't think it's either. Has a "WatchESPN" link but I don't think it's a scheduled game. But hope I'm wrong.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Looking forward to Saturday's game vs Albany. Early morning temps in the single digits but "warming" to low 20's by 1:00 game time. Albany's a well coached team with Scott Marr and they return top scorers from last year and senior goalie. At 6'1" 250 pounds, Tehoka Nanticoke will be a handful for Big Red defenders and Jakob Patterson was America East offensive player of year in 2019. Last year CU eked out a victory with a Connor Fletcher goal with 0:14 on the clock.

This is a winable game for Big Red but not a gimmie. Albany usually plays physical and will be at home. Go Big Red!

Where's joewillie78?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Anyone find live video of Saturday's game?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm 1987 SU vs. Cornell (Full Game)

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/02/12/198 ... full-game/
thanks for sharing this-

which was more offensive, the redmen, the orangemen, or richie moran being a fiery irishman?

i also love how they talk about the wireless tech on the sideline.

the introduction to the starting lineups was so awkward.

some greats on the field here. my god schimoler, 31 saves, and pulled early! that's no pushover team they're playing there... in the Dome no less.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm 1987 SU vs. Cornell (Full Game)

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/02/12/198 ... full-game/
Fun to watch. Cornell beat SU twice that year. 19-6 and then 18-15 in NCAA semis before falling to Hopkins in Championship game 10-11. Finished the season 13-1.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am
Ivyman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 am UAlbany website has an ESPN link: https://ualbanysports.com/sports/mens- ... e/schedule Can't tell if it's E3 or E+.
I don't think it's either. Has a "WatchESPN" link but I don't think it's a scheduled game. But hope I'm wrong.
It's hard to tell if this will be streamed on the America East website, or if an ESPN link is required. Any insights appreciated.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Last year all of the AE games were supposed to migrate to the Watch ESPN app, but they were on American East TV which showed up as a link on the schedule page. This is is the first time I have seen the ESPN logo on the web site other than for a nationally televised game on one of the major ESPN channels. FWIW the Stony Brook - St John's game earlier this week was on AE TV so I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Just received this in an email from the Albany athletics folks:

"We are planning on streaming the game on the ESPN platform, but they have not told us if it will be on ESPN3 or ESPN+ yet. We will update the links on our website as soon as they let us know."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”