Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
loyola11

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by loyola11 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:27 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:18 pm oh well. 3 goal loss to the defending champs. Much smaller spread for the goals than i was expecting.

some good things to build upon the loss.

Some bad things that need to be really really worked on.

Shafer faced a baptism by fire today and stood on his head
Great second half by Schafer, strong gritty comeback effort, lots to like.
It's very, very early.
Ugly stuff to be expected at this point.

That said, PB's predictions are 0-1. :roll:
Good second half. Agree early. Need to find right chemistry. Lots of faith in freshman. That did not look good. I know poitras was 1-2. But the entirety of his play is much to desire
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:19 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:18 pm oh well. 3 goal loss to the defending champs. Much smaller spread for the goals than i was expecting.

It's very, very early.

Good second half. Agree early. Need to find right chemistry. Lots of faith in freshman. That did not look good. I know poitras was 1-2. But the entirety of his play is much to desire
And what is up with our emo offense? And wing play. Our poles are awesome but. Savio needs help
Laxdoc31

Post by Laxdoc31 »

Kamish is a baller. Looks like another year of having to hop into a zone to stop the bleeding of poor man to man.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 pm
loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:19 pm

It's very, very early.

And what is up with our emo offense? And wing play. Our poles are awesome but. Savio needs help
we scored what, 3 extra man goals today? that was about half of what we scored in 6v6. That's were the step down looks came from.

I think wing play will sort itself out. But some of these issues need to be figured out in the week of practice to prepare for Hopkins. They looked good today vs Towson
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Laxdoc31 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:44 pm Kamish is a baller. Looks like another year of having to hop into a zone to stop the bleeding of poor man to man.
Matchups. Not everyone will be as deep as uva. Glad the zone worked, but a lot of teams will have trouble manning the hoos. Not the end of the world.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Just got back from Charlottesville, and am about to watch the TV recording, but thought I would post my thoughts first. Often, I find my perception of the game is very different in person vs. watching on TV with commentary.

I am very pleased with what I saw today. I figured our chances of winning were pretty remote, but I did see a lot positive signs. While UVA has the better (and bigger) athletes, we were the better prepared team. We played excellent fundamentals while UVA struggled to clear, went offsides twice (only one was called), and committed countless penalties. If Rode hadn't made 13 saves in the first half, this would have been a very different game.

We outscored the #1/2 team in the country 6-3 in the second half! I will take that any time! Holding UVA to 3 goals in a half is a huge accomplishment.

Lots of young players saw playing time today. Just need to figure out which combinations work best. Shafer had a great game. His outlet passes were consistently stellar.

Oh, question: is Matt Hughes hurt again? Both he and Railey were out of the lineup on defense.

I'm looking forward to a great season!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

One position you don’t need to worry about is GK
Last edited by OCanada on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molo

Post by molo »

Excellent summary from greyinghound. I didn't see the first half, which is when UVA built the lead, but during the part that I saw--most of the second half--the supposedly weaker team outplayed the supposedly better team. If I were a Hound supporter, I would be pleased with the effort. As a UVA guy who has gone on record saying how good they are, I saw reason for concern.
loyolapride2015

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 20208 type

Post by loyolapride2015 »

Loyola may be in some trouble this year. The concern is if Shaffer didn’t have 12 Saves in 2nd half and Baily did win most of faceoffs this game was heading for 20-8 type game.it was 9-3 at half and UVA did not handle zone very well. I do give credit to Loyola as they did fight back but UVA also took seven penalties that Loyola took advantage of. The problem with Loyola is they are very one dimensional, and they play with way too many dodge to shoot type players on their team. They make it easy for goalies to lock on the ball on dodge to shoot mentally all the time. They don’t initiate and pass as well as former Loyola teams in the past. They probably need to start initiating from the midfield because way too much it is coming from the attack which struggles to find the open man.16 is quick, but can’t hit the cage and took some ill advised shots. He was 0-10 shooting and that will need to pick up to be successful in the Loyola system. 19 also needs to take care of the ball. He had Lots of turnovers, and had 2 goals on 11 shots. The biggest issue for Loyola is now without guys who have a feed first mentality gthey can’t seem to get the ball inside to Lindley. He becomes an ineffective. On the positive Swindle was very good today with a goal and 3 assist. They do have a great frosh in 45. Well I need to clean things up this week better be ready for Hopkins because they will be coming at them hard.
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

loyolapride2015 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 am Loyola may be in some trouble this year. The concern is if Shaffer didn’t have 12 Saves in 2nd half and Baily did win most of faceoffs this game was heading for 20-8 type game.it was 9-3 at half and UVA did not handle zone very well. I do give credit to Loyola as they did fight back but UVA also took seven penalties that Loyola took advantage of. The problem with Loyola is they are very one dimensional, and they play with way too many dodge to shoot type players on their team. They make it easy for goalies to lock on the ball on dodge to shoot mentally all the time. They don’t initiate and pass as well as former Loyola teams in the past. They probably need to start initiating from the midfield because way too much it is coming from the attack which struggles to find the open man.16 is quick, but can’t hit the cage and took some ill advised shots. He was 0-10 shooting and that will need to pick up to be successful in the Loyola system. 19 also needs to take care of the ball. He had Lots of turnovers, and had 2 goals on 11 shots. The biggest issue for Loyola is now without guys who have a feed first mentality gthey can’t seem to get the ball inside to Lindley. He becomes an ineffective. On the positive Swindle was very good today with a goal and 3 assist. They do have a great frosh in 45. Well I need to clean things up this week better be ready for Hopkins because they will be coming at them hard.
From last falls scrimmages to this years villonova scrimmage, and after watching UVA, i have said all along the middies are not drawing and dumping to the attack. It is forcing lindley and olmstead to try and create their own offense. Too many turnovers. Swindell and wigley and deveraux should be the starting midline, they did fine. Second line up for grabs. Interesting that Seay and Cain, did not see the field and they looked good in preseason. Bateman, poitras, cox are not the dodgers they need, they are great at the step down, but not creating.

3rd attack, not Kamish, sorry, IMO not a baller... Pridemore will be there in due time.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

loyola11 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 am
loyolapride2015 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 am Loyola may be in some trouble this year. The concern is if Shaffer didn’t have 12 Saves in 2nd half and Baily did win most of faceoffs this game was heading for 20-8 type game.it was 9-3 at half and UVA did not handle zone very well. I do give credit to Loyola as they did fight back but UVA also took seven penalties that Loyola took advantage of. The problem with Loyola is they are very one dimensional, and they play with way too many dodge to shoot type players on their team. They make it easy for goalies to lock on the ball on dodge to shoot mentally all the time. They don’t initiate and pass as well as former Loyola teams in the past. They probably need to start initiating from the midfield because way too much it is coming from the attack which struggles to find the open man.16 is quick, but can’t hit the cage and took some ill advised shots. He was 0-10 shooting and that will need to pick up to be successful in the Loyola system. 19 also needs to take care of the ball. He had Lots of turnovers, and had 2 goals on 11 shots. The biggest issue for Loyola is now without guys who have a feed first mentality gthey can’t seem to get the ball inside to Lindley. He becomes an ineffective. On the positive Swindle was very good today with a goal and 3 assist. They do have a great frosh in 45. Well I need to clean things up this week better be ready for Hopkins because they will be coming at them hard.
From last falls scrimmages to this years villonova scrimmage, and after watching UVA, i have said all along the middies are not drawing and dumping to the attack. It is forcing lindley and olmstead to try and create their own offense. Too many turnovers. Swindell and wigley and deveraux should be the starting midline, they did fine. Second line up for grabs. Interesting that Seay and Cain, did not see the field and they looked good in preseason. Bateman, poitras, cox are not the dodgers they need, they are great at the step down, but not creating.

3rd attack, not Kamish, sorry, IMO not a baller... Pridemore will be there in due time.
Good summations by all. Playing Defending National Champs on their Home field. Great athletes on both sides of the ball and in the cage for the Cavs. The even raised the Title banner prior to the game. 1st qtr - Hounds kept it close. 2nd qtr - not so much. Thankfully Hounds found a better grove in the 2nd half but just couldn't capitalize on UVA miscues. Sitting there at halftime I had the feeling this could be an 18-5 blowout, similar to what LP2015 mentioned. However, coaches huddled near bench at halftime and figured it out.

Seems like each game going forward will be a dogfight but the Hounds do show some fight. The 2 quick UVA goals in the 2nd qtr on EMO really hurt. Got to play smart. On a positive note, Swindell had a nice game with 1 goal and 3 assists. I liked the feeds from 45. McNulty was near the cage and ready to shoot but a whistle stopped the play, denying 55 the chance to shoot and a possible goal.

I thought Wing Play was pretty good and Hounds pushed it. Agree with Loyola 11 that 13, 21 and 27 are first line but they can't play entire game so 2nd line has got to step up. Logan D 21 might be most improved player for the Hounds.

GK really stepped up his game in 2nd half and had some good clears - no problem there moving forward.

All in all, disappointed Hounds couldn't find a way to win. Dug themselves into a deep hole in 2nd qtr but they had their chances in the 2nd half. UVA play had a lot to do with Hounds being unable to get any traction in the 4th.

UVA showed why they are defending Champs.

Coaches now know what they have and what to work on. Not the end of the world. But PB may need to tamper his expectations just a tad. :D
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

Here is a stat the stands out to me Loyola 3 starting attackmen were (4 - 31) shooting, and had 1 assist and five turnovers between the three of them. Matt Ward said it best turnovers almost cancel out the goals you score in these types of games. Priedmore came in for some stretches in 2nd and 3rd but he is more of crease / man up guy but unfortunately can’t dodge on poles and looked a little off at the end off the game.. Loyola better start doing a lot of invert offense or Pick game to try and gain advantage in offense. These guys have to figure it out of the Blue Jays are going to take it to them next weekend. #21 and #13 had very good days at Midfield yesterday. Swindell need more shots and to be honest so does the entire 2nd midfield. I didn’t see Seay and Decker play much and Toomey mentioned him on his podcast so I wonder if they are hurt.

Lastly McNulty is a beast and did an amazing job on Dox yesterday. McNulty could be the best LSM in Div 1 this year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

It looked to me as if Loyola's inability to get to the cage was their biggest problem. Loyola possessed the ball for an awful lot of minutes in the fourth quarter and had plenty of opportunities to win the game but man for man UVA had better athletes who none of the Loyola players could get a step on. Nobody could beat their man one v one to create a slide/double/chaos in front of the goal. If you got points for moving the ball around the perimeter, Loyola would have crushed UVA but unfortunately for Loyola you've got to get the ball in the cage to get points. The D did their job in the second half but the O...not so much.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyolapride2015 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:53 am Here is a stat the stands out to me Loyola 3 starting attackmen were (4 - 31) shooting, and had 1 assist and five turnovers between the three of them. Matt Ward said it best turnovers almost cancel out the goals you score in these types of games. Priedmore came in for some stretches in 2nd and 3rd but he is more of crease / man up guy but unfortunately can’t dodge on poles and looked a little off at the end off the game.. Loyola better start doing a lot of invert offense or Pick game to try and gain advantage in offense. These guys have to figure it out of the Blue Jays are going to take it to them next weekend. #21 and #13 had very good days at Midfield yesterday. Swindell need more shots and to be honest so does the entire 2nd midfield. I didn’t see Seay and Decker play much and Toomey mentioned him on his podcast so I wonder if they are hurt.

Lastly McNulty is a beast and did an amazing job on Dox yesterday. McNulty could be the best LSM in Div 1 this year.
can someone help me out here, i'm trying to figure out who the starting D guys were? The camera angle made it hard to pick out numbers on the jerseys but all i saw was Wyers, McNulty, Boland and Razanka- Numbers wise. Whoever guarded Matt Moore got COOKED yesterday on some of his goals.

Seay definitely got some PT yesterday. Poitras is the lefty they said could play at attack but they're making him play midfield because Lindley and olmstead are the primary lefties on attack. IMO, we need a different QB type attackman. Olmstead didn't do much to initiate from X and his low angle shots were hard to watch. But maybe this will improve as the season goes on.

Absolutely need the significant win against Hopkins next week.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am It looked to me as if Loyola's inability to get to the cage was their biggest problem. Loyola possessed the ball for an awful lot of minutes in the fourth quarter and had plenty of opportunities to win the game but man for man UVA had better athletes who none of the Loyola players could get a step on. Nobody could beat their man one v one to create a slide/double/chaos in front of the goal. If you got points for moving the ball around the perimeter, Loyola would have crushed UVA but unfortunately for Loyola you've got to get the ball in the cage to get points. The D did their job in the second half but the O...not so much.
Thats the part that made me grit my teeth while watching. Loyola owned so many more possessions in the 1st quarter, had a lot of opportunities to score. But our guys simply could not beat their man when initiating from the midfield to get the ball to spin to the shooters or to the inside man.

Midfield punch and dodges needs to improve. props to swindell though for the 1 goal and three assists
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Olddog

Post by Olddog »

My few thoughts.

1. We’re going to be fine in goal. No 2 showed me for the first time that he can start on this team.

2. Hughs didn’t play? That will be a huge issue if he’s injured.

3. The run and gun is back. That means we’re going to turn the ball over a lot. We going to take risks in order to create transition. We need to be bit more understanding when it comes to that stat. They are trying to play twice as fast. We also need 55 to shoot more. I think he was a passer and not a shooter yesterday.

4. This team was down by 6 and fought back. They have heart and are grinders. You can’t teach that. Some teams would roll over and die.

My take.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Olddog wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:21 am My few thoughts.

1. We’re going to be fine in goal. No 2 showed me for the first time that he can start on this team.

2. Hughs didn’t play? That will be a huge issue if he’s injured.

3. The run and gun is back. That means we’re going to turn the ball over a lot. We going to take risks in order to create transition. We need to be bit more understanding when it comes to that stat. They are trying to play twice as fast. We also need 55 to shoot more. I think he was a passer and not a shooter yesterday.

4. This team was down by 6 and fought back. They have heart and are grinders. You can’t teach that. Some teams would roll over and die.

My take.
Watched game. Loyola surprised.Some new faces looked good . They win if Rode off.

PB need not be in hiding , just shouldn't do any Job Willie guarantees. Loyola -JHU is a helluva rivalry and going to be one of the cant miss games this year
molo

Post by molo »

I think some of you are being too critical. You got blitzed early by the NC, then recovered and outscored them 6-3 in the second half. I
didn’t tune in until the second half, but based on the part of the game that I saw, I came away feeling good about Loyola while needing to
pump the brakes on a UVA team that underwhelmed for half the game.
Next Saturday will be interesting. The demise of Hopkins, whom I was watching live for the first half of the Loyola-UVA game, is much farther off than the naysayers would have it. If the Jays prevail, Loyola could be the best 0-2 team in the country. If the hosts win, do we get free sandwiches on the way out of the RAC?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Is this mic on? Tap tap.

First, does anyone here work? Geez. If I don’t immediately post after a game the FL world assumes I’m hiding. I work 7 days a week and if things are especially good, I work 8 days a week.

Second, some of these posts are insane. ‘The Hounds are gonna be in trouble this year’. ‘The Hounds offense stinks’. ‘If Sam doesn’t stop 12 shots we’d lose by 15...’.

Listen to your sad selves. Did you see Rode’s save % ?! How about if Rode doesn’t save 67%, we win the game?

We lost by 3 to the NC who brought every player back except Conrad.

If we see the Hoos again in May, trust me we will beat them. These Hounds are built to win. Wanna know something real scary? We are a young team relatively speaking and next years frost class is IMO the best we have ever seen. The future is very bright at the RAC. Relax and let the boys play.

The only negative I saw yesterday is Army is obviously much better than I previously thought. That concerns me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm
loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:12 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:53 pm anddd as i say it were down 6 in the middle of the 2nd quarter. Wasn't expecting a win but im not surprised by this spread so far
PB. Our greyhounds look awful. Once again turnovers and poor shot selection. It will be a long season

Been a tad busy with work fellas. Cheer up. If you read this thread we are the worst team in America. Relax. Lost by three with refs home cooking. 😂

Do I owe any Hoos money or crabs? Speak up.

We will crush this team in May.

I did note army’s impressive victory. That has me thinking.
:roll: :roll:

As I said above, ugly stuff to be expected this time of year and plenty of positives to be found.
But the whining and boasting stuff just deserves an eye roll.
You're 0-1 on your predictions PB.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”