Schools with good engineering programs

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Jgugs

Schools with good engineering programs

Post by Jgugs »

Good Afternoon... first time poster.
I'm a parent of a 2022 Dpole that wants to play competitive lax and get his engineering degree (at whatever level). With not being able to speak to coaches we are trying to put our school list together ahead of time.

What are some good competitive engineering schools that are out there?

Thank you in advance
DeepPocket

Re: Schools with good engineering programs

Post by DeepPocket »

Off the top of my head RPI and RIT both have strong engineering programs and are very competitive when it comes to lacrosse.

SUNY schools have engineering offerings (much more affordable than the above, especially if you are a NY resident) and lacrosse programs that run the gambit of not competitive, competitive, and everything in between- providing a variety of options depending on his true skill and desired collegiate lacrosse experience.

I know you noted “at whatever level” but this is the DIII forum so I kept it to DIII schools. The other forums would probably be a good place to ask, if DII or DI are within his scholastic and lacrosse reality.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Alfred
CalTech
Carnegie Mellon
Case Western Reserve
Catholic
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps
Clarkson
Elizabethtown
Farleigh-Dickson
Illinois Institute of Technology
John Hopkins
LaRoche
LeTourneau
Lynchburg
Merimack (D1)
Messiah
MIT
MSOE
Norwich
NYIT (D2)
NYU/Polytechnic
Ohio Northern
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
Rochester Institute of Technology
Roger Williams
Rose Hulman
Rowan
Scranton
Stevens Institute of Technology
Swarthmore
TCNJ
Trine
Trinity
Tufts
Umass-Dartmouth
Union
Union College
University of Rochester
University of Texas - Dallas
USMMA
Washington University in St. Louis
Wentworth
Wentworth Institute
Western New England
Widener
WPI
York College
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

RIT and RIT are first that come to mind. Taking a look at York’s roster, many engineering majors in the program.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Washington and Lee offers an undergraduate engineering degree as well.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Speaking of Liberty League, in addition to RIT and RPI, Clarkson and Union have engineering programs.

The engineering program at W & L is not ABET accredited so be aware of that.

Some liberal arts colleges have 3-2 or dual-degree engineering programs through affiliated schools but they are not much use to a varsity athlete.
FriedSquirrel

Post by FriedSquirrel »

Oglethorpe has a 3 and 2 that allows the student to do their last two years at Kennesaw St, Georgia Tech or Auburn.

https://oglethorpe.edu/academics/programs/engineering/
Olylo

Post by Olylo »

Both RIT and Stevens have top 100 undergrad engineering programs, top 20 lacrosse and most importantly, high percentage of engineering students on the lacrosse team.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Essentially all of these schools will have disproportionate numbers of athletes in their engineering programs and visa versa--precisely because high school students who want to studying engineering and play at the D3 level have a relatively limited number of options.

Matnum PI has a list of what appears to be D3 schools with accredited engineering programs, which is probably the best place to start. Just note that not all of them sponsor lacrosse or play at the D3 level (off the top of my head, WashU, Claremont, Hopkins, Merrimack, NYIT, Rose Hulman, UT-Dallas all would not meet both criteria).
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

ergit wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:10 am Speaking of Liberty League, in addition to RIT and RPI, Clarkson and Union have engineering programs.

The engineering program at W & L is not ABET accredited so be aware of that.

Some liberal arts colleges have 3-2 or dual-degree engineering programs through affiliated schools but they are not much use to a varsity athlete.
Ithaca College used to have a 3-2 program with Cornell. AFAIK, they still do.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

If I could send my kid to any D3 Engineering school with lax being secondary it would be MIT then RPI.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SixBySix wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:05 pm Essentially all of these schools will have disproportionate numbers of athletes in their engineering programs and visa versa--precisely because high school students who want to studying engineering and play at the D3 level have a relatively limited number of options.

Matnum PI has a list of what appears to be D3 schools with accredited engineering programs, which is probably the best place to start. Just note that not all of them sponsor lacrosse or play at the D3 level (off the top of my head, WashU, Claremont, Hopkins, Merrimack, NYIT, Rose Hulman, UT-Dallas all would not meet both criteria).
Yes - I know 2 young men that went to York for Engineering and were recruited to play lacrosse. They simply could not make it past soph year with the academic/athletic balance, both said something had to give and that decision becomes quite easy to make.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

My nephew went to Bucknell.

Scored a job with GE Wind Turbine Division out of school and is currently employed by Tesla Battery Division out west.
The parent, not the coach.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”