Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Stony Brook - Their Year of Reckoning, or Pretender Again?

Post by wlaxnut »

The decisive defensive strangulation beat down of the Buffaloes may have been Stony Brook’s toughest game for the regular season. Which team will they face that will be any tougher than a road game against (then ranked) #14 Colorado? —Denver? Towson? Princeton? Florida? Johns Hopkins? Penn State? I doubt any of those teams will really test the Seawolves if they play anywhere near the way they played against the Buffs.

I was impressed by their speed and their willingness to run full out without fear. They also displayed remarkable fearlessness when in the defensive zone. At least two times I saw Stony Brook players get whacked with the sticks from Buffalo players taking shots. I have to think that the Stony Brook players would have anticipated the shots coming, but they stood their ground and “absorbed the charge" if you will. They were at least twice rewarded for their bravery. Two Colorado goals were waved off for dangerous follow through, and naturally they got the ball on the turnover.

We all know they won’t be tested in the weak sister America East conference. They won’t really be tested until The Tournament in May. I’m not a fan of this team. I don’t like the braggadocio about them or their fans. But I must acknowledge that what I saw in this game was a fearlessly aggressive team that looks like they are on a mission this season. We’ll see in May if they can get over the quarterfinal hump to really challenge for the national championship. I doubt the rest of the regular season will be much more than an exhibition season for them. But we shall see…
Dr. Tact

Re: Stony Brook - Their Year of Reckoning, or Pretender Again?

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 am The decisive defensive strangulation beat down of the Buffaloes may have been Stony Brook’s toughest game for the regular season. Which team will they face that will be any tougher than a road game against (then ranked) #14 Colorado? —Denver? Towson? Princeton? Florida? Johns Hopkins? Penn State? I doubt any of those teams will really test the Seawolves if they play anywhere near the way they played against the Buffs.

I was impressed by their speed and their willingness to run full out without fear. They also displayed remarkable fearlessness when in the defensive zone. At least two times I saw Stony Brook players get whacked with the sticks from Buffalo players taking shots. I have to think that the Stony Brook players would have anticipated the shots coming, but they stood their ground and “absorbed the charge" if you will. They were at least twice rewarded for their bravery. Two Colorado goals were waved off for dangerous follow through, and naturally they got the ball on the turnover.

We all know they won’t be tested in the weak sister America East conference. They won’t really be tested until The Tournament in May. I’m not a fan of this team. I don’t like the braggadocio about them or their fans. But I must acknowledge that what I saw in this game was a fearlessly aggressive team that looks like they are on a mission this season. We’ll see in May if they can get over the quarterfinal hump to really challenge for the national championship. I doubt the rest of the regular season will be much more than an exhibition season for them. But we shall see…
I am peripherally a fan of the coach (or at least his coaching style). They have some really good athletes....but, Colorado is not a good measuring stick. Yes, as documented above, they looked fierce in that game with a hot goaltender as well...we will see when they come up against better competition. I don't think they sweep the remaining teams. Someone will find a way to slow them down...Come out with wins against Princeton, Florida and Penn State, then we will be talking about them being a legit favorite....157...that is the number of points to replace from one player last year :!: :o ....They got a good addition with Tabasso, but that is a big hole to replace. We will see....I wouldn't be surprised if they are there at the end in the final 4.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Although I didnt see the game, I think we have a tentative answer to your question....See today's game result...

24 turnovers...
aubartolomei

U of A next?

Post by aubartolomei »

I have a friend who works at Arizona and said that at their dedication for a new indoor facility today the president said something along the lines of "who knows, maybe we'll have a womens lacrosse team practicing here some day". Seems like an unnecessary thing to say unless theyre pretty serious about making that move.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Very interesting. I didn't see that coming. The Pioneers will be walking on air for a day or two after that win.

I think I'll pay for a month's subscription so I can watch the replay of the game. (I hope the camerawork is decent.)
wlaxnut

Who did play-by-play for SU/UVA Saturday?

Post by wlaxnut »

Does anyone know who did the play-by-play for the ACC Network Syracuse/Virginia game yesterday? There were technical difficulties early so the broadcast began with Syracuse already up 2-0 so obviously the pregame introductions were missed. Not sure if it was Tyler Aki. Whoever he was, he was driving me crazy by including the yard line markers in his call.

In any event, just to let you know, this is a 3 day sticky note that will go away afterwards.

Thanks for any help beforehand.
Badlands

Re: Who did play-by-play for SU/UVA Saturday?

Post by Badlands »

I think someone named Ross. At one point there was a foul called and he assumed it was shooting space. At which point you could hear the PA announcer say it was 3 seconds and then explain that the defender has to stay within a stick's length of the offensive player. The play-by-play guy then says "Sounds like the SU defender was too close to the offensive player." Huh?

BTW, I was intrigued to hear the PA announcer in the dome explain the rules after announcing what was called on the field. I actually liked it because he stated the rules clearly and succinctly. Good for the casual fan in attendance.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:11 pm BTW, I was intrigued to hear the PA announcer in the dome explain the rules after announcing what was called on the field. I actually liked it because he stated the rules clearly and succinctly. Good for the casual fan in attendance.
Wasn't the PA announcer like God from above with that booming voice on the broadcast?
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:51 pm
Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:11 pm BTW, I was intrigued to hear the PA announcer in the dome explain the rules after announcing what was called on the field. I actually liked it because he stated the rules clearly and succinctly. Good for the casual fan in attendance.
Wasn't the PA announcer like God from above with that booming voice on the broadcast?
Exactly, quite a voice. I bet he has a great head of hair too.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:01 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:51 pm
Exactly, quite a voice. I bet he has a great head of hair too.
Reminded me of when God was speaking to King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail....
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I assumed the guys in the ACC Network booth could not hear God, making and explaining the calls, because of the head gear they had to wear in the booth. But the juxtaposition of the announcer making the wrong assumption and God simultaneously explaining the pay and call, was pretty funny.

I think UVA is a pretty good team, and thought that Syracuse's wire to wire win was pretty impressive. Think the Orange will come down to earth in a few days.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm I think UVA is a pretty good team, and thought that Syracuse's wire to wire win was pretty impressive. Think the Orange will come down to earth in a few days.
I do too (UVA being pretty good), but then I thought Loyola was a pretty good team and they got spanked wire to wire as well. I think Cuse is right where they should be at #4...IMO It will take a near perfect game for them to get a win Saturday and break into the top 3.

If we are looking for an upset in the top 3, I would be less surprised by Navy beating BC than Cuse over MD.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yup, agreed Doc. People forget that BC graduated some significant role players (Hart, Chandler, a very able defender whose name I forget (No. 10) and the twins). They are still learning to play together on offense with Kent full time, and retooling defense. BC has started a Soph goalie the last two games, and she looks sharp and poised.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm Yup, agreed Doc. People forget that BC graduated some significant role players (Hart, Chandler, a very able defender whose name I forget (No. 10) and the twins). They are still learning to play together on offense with Kent full time, and retooling defense. BC has started a Soph goalie the last two games, and she looks sharp and poised.
Carly Bell wore number 10. I agree--Kaileen Hart and Tess Chandler were significant contributors on offense. Chandler especially was a big body that was hard for teams to deal with when she got open in front. Hart was a nifty player and good goal scorer (57 goals last year). Yes--Abbey Ngai looks good in goal the last two and a third games as she played the last 20 minutes of the blowout win against Harvard. I wonder if they're saving Daly or she's injured. Kent is a great play maker when she's not scoring goals. She's got 27 helpers so far. But BC hasn't really been tested yet. They had mild discomfort in Syracuse when they went down by 5 in the first half but rallied nicely. Their real first test will come at North Carolina in 3 weeks. They'll have revenge on their minds for their loss to the Heels in last years ACC final, and also maybe the brutal red card take down of Christina Walsh by Kara Klages toward the end of that game. Should be interesting!

https://youtu.be/awhYhJQMcrw
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:39 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm Yup, agreed Doc. People forget that BC graduated some significant role players (Hart, Chandler, a very able defender whose name I forget (No. 10) and the twins). They are still learning to play together on offense with Kent full time, and retooling defense. BC has started a Soph goalie the last two games, and she looks sharp and poised.
Their real first test will come at North Carolina in 3 weeks.
I dont know why, but I have this feeling (cue the sappy music) that Navy could test them...Larkin is a beast and Heyward, Harris, O'Sullivan shouldn't be overlooked...If BC is looking past the Mids to the Heels, they might stumble a bit in Annapolis (trap game?). Not saying they lose, but stranger things have happened. :twisted:
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:50 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:39 pm
Their real first test will come at North Carolina in 3 weeks.
I dont know why, but I have this feeling (cue the sappy music) that Navy could test them...Larkin is a beast and Heyward, Harris, O'Sullivan shouldn't be overlooked...If BC is looking past the Mids to the Heels, they might stumble a bit in Annapolis (trap game?). Not saying they lose, but stranger things have happened. :twisted:
It will be a decent little test—2 night games in 4 days. They should handle the Mids and the ‘Cats but I won’t be shocked if they lose one. Very much looking forward to watching both.
wlaxnut

Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by wlaxnut »

I know this was discussed quite a bit on the old LaxPower but I would be interested to rehash and reexamine how teams make their schedules. Obviously, some of the games are set before the season begins. Teams in their own conference, teams that are close by geographically, teams they play traditionally, teams that will help boost their RPI for the tournament, etc. But what is specifically on my mind is why teams schedule games against either dramatically inferior or superior teams. I can’t imagine it’s much fun for either team no matter which end of the blowout they’re on.

I am always intrigued and impressed by the amount of knowledge and experience that exists on these boards, (even though there’s only us “10 old guys” “who clearly have nothing else to do.” [as Badlands once humorously wrote])
seacoaster

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by seacoaster »

It's 19-1 Northwestern over Detroit-Mercy...with 1:45 to go in the first half. An intrasquad practice/scrimmage is more valuable to Northwestern.

Sorry, it is 20-1. Forty seconds to go in the first half.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 pm I know this was discussed quite a bit on the old LaxPower but I would be interested to rehash and reexamine how teams make their schedules. Obviously, some of the games are set before the season begins. Teams in their own conference, teams that are close by geographically, teams they play traditionally, teams that will help boost their RPI for the tournament, etc. But what is specifically on my mind is why teams schedule games against either dramatically inferior or superior teams. I can’t imagine it’s much fun for either team no matter which end of the blowout they’re on.

I am always intrigued and impressed by the amount of knowledge and experience that exists on these boards, (even though there’s only us “10 old guys” “who clearly have nothing else to do.” [as Badlands once humorously wrote])
Part of it is most likely filler. If you're in a six team conference for example, you need to schedule another 10-12 games, so some of those will almost always be mismatches. For teams in smaller conferences, the chance to play a major opponent is probably exciting for some of the players and could be used as a recruiting tool to some extent ("hey, we're playing Maryland and North Carolina this year"). For the top teams, it's a chance to get some reps in before heading into a big game. But ultimately, I think geography has a lot to do with the scheduling.

Syracuse will play Canisius in a half hour.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:52 pm It's 19-1 Northwestern over Detroit-Mercy...with 1:45 to go in the first half. An intrasquad practice/scrimmage is more valuable to Northwestern.

Sorry, it is 20-1. Forty seconds to go in the first half.
Maybe, but an intrasquad practice doesn't count as an NCAA game...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”