SU vs. Colgate (02.07.20 4 PM) Thread

D1 Mens Lacrosse
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: SU vs. Colgate (02.07.20 4 PM) Thread

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Impressive that Colgate could hang after the Carolina drubbing? Or, Syracuse meh? Not a lot to see here other than Rehfus opening this season in an effort to make up for his woes in '19.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Cuse is solid but if Mellon is out for awhile they are gonna give up a lot of goals.

Beardsley is perfect as a color commentator.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

TopShelf585 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm Cuse is solid but if Mellon is out for awhile they are gonna give up a lot of goals.
Mellen was getting rinsed by Griffin Brown before he got hurt

Scanlan is an enormous difference maker for the Orange. He doesn't miss when he has his hands free, which is seemingly quite often.
molo

Post by molo »

Hope Mellen is ok, tough loss if he’s out for a while.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Cuse has firepower but the D was not strong today. First game so...,
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm
Mellen was getting rinsed by Griffin Brown before he got hurt
Agreed Brown went off but Mellon is their leader and Cuse D looked lost after he went down. If Porter didn’t make some huge saves and Gate didn’t pi$$ away a 2 min unreleasable the score would’ve been even closer.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Dordevik ... 0-4. Inside lacrosse staff will not sleep tonight ! 20- % as Freshman as well. Good player, but mega- hype. Let him come back & blend in. Nothing against SU or TD, but the hype w his return is just too much. Especially, coming from the IL staff !
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 pm Dordevik ... 0-4. Inside lacrosse staff will not sleep tonight ! 20- % as Freshman as well. Good player, but mega- hype. Let him come back & blend in. Nothing against SU or TD, but the hype w his return is just too much. Especially, coming from the IL staff !
Dude just can't shoot. They should probably slide him down to attack, he's got some decent shake and bake but he can't hit the cage one bit. The hype was clearly proven as being ridiculous and OTT. Same with Brendan Curry, who wasn't really great either. Neither of those guys looked like the best middies on the team, Trimboli and Quinn were way better.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I’m not here to bash the player. But this slobbering over TD was just out of line. Let him comeback - see what happens . This IL staff slobbering over him was not appropriate.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Mr3Putt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm I’m not here to bash the player. But this slobbering over TD was just out of line. Let him comeback - see what happens . This IL staff slobbering over him was not appropriate.
Dude no offense but the kid hasn't played a D1 game in nearly 2 years , could he get more then 1 game back before we start ripping him, jeez
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I agree ! That’s my point, let him comeback and see how it goes .
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:05 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm I’m not here to bash the player. But this slobbering over TD was just out of line. Let him comeback - see what happens . This IL staff slobbering over him was not appropriate.
Dude no offense but the kid hasn't played a D1 game in nearly 2 years , could he get more then 1 game back before we start ripping him, jeez
That's the point. When you haven't played a D1 game in nearly 2 years you shouldn't be touted as a surefire All-American (he was a Preseason All-American!) and have to carry that weight into the year. He's a good player and I imagine he'll improve as the year goes on, but he was talked about basically as much as Scanlan by Carc and some others in the media and he's not that guy yet.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:13 pm Buttermore is good... Ridiculous 2nd line.
Yes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:13 pm Buttermore is good... Ridiculous 2nd line.
Yes.
Didn’t see game. Saw the score. How did the offense look compare to last few years? (I know they scored goals)
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not too much room to complain about with the O, lot of good sticks out there and they looked to be playing together pretty nicely. Lot of assisted goals in this game and that's a good thing in my book. A number of Scanlan's goals were not of the lift you out of your seat variety, just well placed shots from 8-10 yds out (Native box players see a lot of net from there and just place it by the GK), seemed to get himself pretty wide open to receive a pass and capitalized on it. While the first line middies get all the hype, I like the second line better/every bit as much. Buttermore remains under used and under valued, IMO...kid's just a player that makes things happen. Reminds me of a Galasso or Mariano...scored one (pipe shot on another), solid play from him.
I'm guessing you're asking because of March....time will tell but, again, not much room to complain about the O in this one (couple of nice rides from the attack too).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:08 am Not too much room to complain about with the O, lot of good sticks out there and they looked to be playing together pretty nicely. Lot of assisted goals in this game and that's a good thing in my book. A number of Scanlan's goals were not of the lift you out of your seat variety, just well placed shots from 8-10 yds out (Native box players see a lot of net from there and just place it by the GK), seemed to get himself pretty wide open to receive a pass and capitalized on it. While the first line middies get all the hype, I like the second line better/every bit as much. Buttermore remains under used and under valued, IMO...kid's just a player that makes things happen. Reminds me of a Galasso or Mariano...scored one (pipe shot on another), solid play from him.
I'm guessing you're asking because of March....time will tell but, again, not much room to complain about the O in this one (couple of nice rides from the attack too).
Yes. Very happy for him. The team will always find high quality shots. It’s a players’ offense. All about making reads. A lot of assisted goals and hard to defend. It’s early though.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Scoring 21 is impressive but giving up 14?! To Colgate? Room for improvement...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:17 pm Scoring 21 is impressive but giving up 14?! To Colgate? Room for improvement...
Yep that was surprising. Man down and transition d was poor and Mellen had a bad day at office which didn't help. It happens infrequently to the best . He'll return to good form. D unit as a whole had several changes and needs to improve on coordination and communication . The individual talent is there to be very good.

One questionable change was shifting a AA lsm in Kennedy to close. Supposedly done to cover quicker attackman but his speed and two way play have greater impact in open field than being a very good on ball close defender. At lsm and on wings , he created havoc both ways ,cut off field and his on ball didn't require help. Think he and UVA Conners were the best overall lsms and dont see UVA dropping Conners down despite having a need and lsm Rock because they know the overall impact of a AA caliber lsm is significant just as ND knew with Sexton.

The other notable change was shifting the 2nd and 3rd ssdm last year to poles. Supposedly had depth to do so but Oladuyne who is now the second dm in rotation was out. He should return shortly.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:42 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 pm Dordevik ... 0-4. Inside lacrosse staff will not sleep tonight ! 20- % as Freshman as well. Good player, but mega- hype. Let him come back & blend in. Nothing against SU or TD, but the hype w his return is just too much. Especially, coming from the IL staff !
Dude just can't shoot. They should probably slide him down to attack, he's got some decent shake and bake but he can't hit the cage one bit. The hype was clearly proven as being ridiculous and OTT. Same with Brendan Curry, who wasn't really great either. Neither of those guys looked like the best middies on the team, Trimboli and Quinn were way better.
I'm late to respond to this but this take is too ridiculous to ignore. Dordevic shot 26% as a freshman. That is not excellent but certainly not abysmal. You appear to be completely defining his skill set off of one game and acting like we don't have an entire body of work to look at. As a freshman Dordevic made up for a lack of pinpoint accuracy and box lacrosse style deception with a lightening fast shot and a seriously quick release that caught goalies off guard. He scored goals with both hands with a variety of release points. Silly to judge him off of one game.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Antonio114 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:09 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:42 pm
I'm late to respond to this but this take is too ridiculous to ignore. Dordevic shot 26% as a freshman. That is not excellent but certainly not abysmal. You appear to be completely defining his skill set off of one game and acting like we don't have an entire body of work to look at. As a freshman Dordevic made up for a lack of pinpoint accuracy and box lacrosse style deception with a lightening fast shot and a seriously quick release that caught goalies off guard. He scored goals with both hands with a variety of release points. Silly to judge him off of one game.
26% was the worst shooting percentage of all but 1 Cuse midfielder/starter. It's not a great shooting percentage. And if we're doing this "body of work" thing with Dordevic, as a freshman he had 15 goals in 14 games and had the same # of games with 0 points (3) as he did games with multiple goals (3). Forgot judging a player off of one game, this dude became an All-American off of basically hype and not anything he actually did on the field

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”