VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by wgdsr »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 pm Did he play in fall scrimmages? If so I believe you can’t just red shirt, if true another wonderful rule from the student athlete friendly NCAA. I know nothing about him or his situation, just curious about the rule if someone knows.
since summer 2018, out of season scrimmages (fall for lacrosse) no longer count toward eligibility for the no-play redshirt. came out same time as the 4 game football redshirt rule to allow for more equity to spring sports (olympic fall sports already benefited by playing their championship season first).
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 pm
molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm Maybe he wants to have a shot at starting at attack for four years.
If that's the case, he should have stayed committed to his original school. :D
Maybe, he wanted to play with a program with an uptempo style that had a chance to be alive Memorial Day weekend every year and not one whose best days appear to be behind them
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Maybe VA put together a much more attractive financial package. There are other possibilities including peer pressure. A too early commit that needed to be revisited etc
Last edited by OCanada on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Man some of ya'll do not understand how power dynamics work. Being okay with the decision and going "yes coach, anything for the team, coach" is different from actively wanting to do something. Perhaps he felt pressure to say yes when asked. Perhaps at some point he will change his mind about the whole thing. Considering he switched high schools not once but twice and also changed college commitment, I wouldn't rule that scenario out completely. All I said was the decision—no matter whose it was—is a risk (assuming it's true, still haven't gotten verification). In my opinion, it's not one worth taking. There may be benefits three years from now, but they're outweighed by the potential downside. Risk a lot to gain a little. He'll be sitting out competitive lacrosse for an entire season for, I assume, the first time in his life. That's tough. If he's ready to play (which he is, he was the #1 recruit for goodness sake) then let him play and he'll carve out a role. Hope it works out for the kid. If the team is so good then it doesn't really matter either way does it.
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:02 am
molo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm Maybe he wants to have a shot at starting at attack for four years.
Maybe, he wanted to play with a program with an uptempo style that had a chance to be alive Memorial Day weekend every year and not one whose best days appear to be behind them
If that's true then why did he commit to Hopkins in the first place? He chose them over 70+ schools. Obviously he thinks pretty highly of the program and its staff even if he ultimately decided he'd be a better fit for his hometown team.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am If that's true then why did he commit to Hopkins in the first place? He chose them over 70+ schools. Obviously he thinks pretty highly of the program and its staff even if he ultimately decided he'd be a better fit for his hometown team.
He THINKS pretty highly of the program or he THOUGHT pretty highly of the program? He committed to Hop directly following their last Final Four appearance, then witnessed two 8-7 seasons and bounced. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall...
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am Man some of ya'll do not understand how power dynamics work. Being okay with the decision and going "yes coach, anything for the team, coach" is different from actively wanting to do something. Perhaps he felt pressure to say yes when asked. Perhaps at some point he will change his mind about the whole thing. Considering he switched high schools not once but twice and also changed college commitment, I wouldn't rule that scenario out completely. All I said was the decision—no matter whose it was—is a risk (assuming it's true, still haven't gotten verification). In my opinion, it's not one worth taking. There may be benefits three years from now, but they're outweighed by the potential downside. Risk a lot to gain a little. He'll be sitting out competitive lacrosse for an entire season for, I assume, the first time in his life. That's tough. If he's ready to play (which he is, he was the #1 recruit for goodness sake) then let him play and he'll carve out a role. Hope it works out for the kid. If the team is so good then it doesn't really matter either way does it.
If that's true then why did he commit to Hopkins in the first place? He chose them over 70+ schools. Obviously he thinks pretty highly of the program and its staff even if he ultimately decided he'd be a better fit for his hometown team.
Imagine if posted on Hop thread by someone with “UVaFan” in their username.

“I heard Epstein is injured and may redshirt. I wonder if he will consider transferring? I wonder if he was pressured by the coaches. If so, that’s a risk. The kid might not be happy with that. I wouldn’t rule out that scenario.”

How do you think that would be received? So why are you posting on this topic on this thread? How about you focus on rooting for your team and the players currently on it.
molo

Post by molo »

Do specific teams “own” threads? If that’s the case, I guess I can post on just the UVA and maybe the Hopkins threads. Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with a comment from Hopkins fan on a UVA thread. There are some fans of other teams—a certain Maryland fan comes to mind—who seem to know as much about opponents as they do about their own favorite teams.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BigTom4 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:56 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am If that's true then why did he commit to Hopkins in the first place? He chose them over 70+ schools. Obviously he thinks pretty highly of the program and its staff even if he ultimately decided he'd be a better fit for his hometown team.
He THINKS pretty highly of the program or he THOUGHT pretty highly of the program? He committed to Hop directly following their last Final Four appearance, then witnessed two 8-7 seasons and bounced. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall...
Pretty sure it had a lot more to do with the coaching change at UVA.
Laxter wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 pm

“I heard Epstein is injured and may redshirt. I wonder if he will consider transferring? I wonder if he was pressured by the coaches. If so, that’s a risk. The kid might not be happy with that. I wouldn’t rule out that scenario.”

How do you think that would be received? So why are you posting on this topic on this thread? How about you focus on rooting for your team and the players currently on it.
Is Shellenberger injured? That's why he's redshirting? If not, what you said makes no sense whatsoever.

So defensive for fans of a team that just won a title. We've got non-Hopkins fans in our thread CONSTANTLY. Yet the moment someone else posts in this thread you freak out. This is for discussion of the Virginia 2020 team—not a clubhouse for UVA homers only. You already have The Sabre for that.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

well put Hop Fan. Mr. Jefferson had some pretty strong feelings about freedom of speech by the way.....

as far as changing his mind, perhaps he had a chance to compare co-eds???..... :o 8-)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

trying to run anyone off a thread by allegiance ain't what we should be doing here. not a ton traffic on fanlax yet as it is.

saying that, again hop you have absolutely no idea, if even accurate news, how it played out. not sure why you're throwing up reenactments like you are there, but i'd hope most can guess you're not working off any kind of inside info.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The fact is there are a host of possible reasons he changed. From what I read no one knows why he changed and there are at least six possibles I can imagine. He made his decision and I hope it works out for him and UVA.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thank you for the freedom to post anywhere, Mr. Jefferson.
Enjoy, fellas.
Gotta be a fool to bootie up next to this gal (talkin' to you J.Lo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KO3CEMt-Lw
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:29 pm trying to run anyone off a thread by allegiance ain't what we should be doing here. not a ton traffic on fanlax yet as it is.

saying that, again hop you have absolutely no idea, if even accurate news, how it played out. not sure why you're throwing up reenactments like you are there, but i'd hope most can guess you're not working off any kind of inside info.
I agree, and just to clarify, I was not trying run anyone off of this thread. It’s a free country/message board and I enjoy the discourse. I was simply saying that it seemed, to me, that certain recent posts seemed to be uninformed and unfairly speculative and motives were even more suspicious coming from a rival team’s fan. Personally, I don’t enjoy those types of posts and don’t make posts like that on opposing team’s threads; the optics are poor IMO. I probably could have used better tone/verbiage to make my point. Let’s all enjoy the lax!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am Man some of ya'll do not understand how power dynamics work. Being okay with the decision and going "yes coach, anything for the team, coach" is different from actively wanting to do something. Perhaps he felt pressure to say yes when asked. Perhaps at some point he will change his mind about the whole thing. Considering he switched high schools not once but twice and also changed college commitment, I wouldn't rule that scenario out completely. All I said was the decision—no matter whose it was—is a risk (assuming it's true, still haven't gotten verification). In my opinion, it's not one worth taking. There may be benefits three years from now, but they're outweighed by the potential downside. Risk a lot to gain a little. He'll be sitting out competitive lacrosse for an entire season for, I assume, the first time in his life. That's tough. If he's ready to play (which he is, he was the #1 recruit for goodness sake) then let him play and he'll carve out a role. Hope it works out for the kid. If the team is so good then it doesn't really matter either way does it.

They are fine with it. But it makes sense, really. Hopkins fans hate on their team and coaches more than any Hopkins "outsiders" do.

:lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Truth
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:11 pm

They are fine with it. But it makes sense, really. Hopkins fans hate on their team and coaches more than any Hopkins "outsiders" do.

:lol:
Are you suggesting there is now a chance that Epstein is unhappy and transfers?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No. But Hopkins is in “show me” territory until they shake off the mediocrity that’s befallen their program.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

11-8 UVa in the 4th, Hoo fans getting nervous.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Hoo fans relax 12-9 Hoos with 42 seconds to go.

UVa holds on to win 12-9
Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Nice, gritty comeback by Loyola.
UVA lost the momentum...need to figure out how to break those runs, not just pray time will run, but nice lead IMO made possible by stellar first half by Rode couldn't be overcome..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”