Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by 51percentcorn »

Epstein plays
Darby

If Epstein plays who's third attack? If he doesn't? I say Degnon is third attack - Smith plays attack as well if Epstein can't go

McManus Calnan Steel - Need to Pick 2

Who's the third SSDM behind Hubler and Glassmeyer?

Is Jaronski the 2nd LSM

What is first mid-field? Epstein's presence/absence probably plays a role - if Epstein plays interesting choice between Concannon and DeSimone
I say Smith and Zinn are on firsts regardless - If Smith is on attack - Concannon/DeSimone/Zinn

2nds? - Baskin and an initial mishmash of a Concannon/DeSimone leftover (if Smith plays on firsts), Angelus, Murphy, Mabbett

Hard to remember so many questions
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Game notes are up: https://s3.amazonaws.com/hopkinssports. ... Towson.pdf

No projected lineup. Just a list of "key personnel"

- Degnon listed with the attackmen
- Smith with the middies
- Jaronski and Lyne only LSMs listed other than Reinson (and Lyne is hurt)
- Darby and Giacalone both listed
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:29 pm Epstein plays
Darby

If Epstein plays who's third attack? If he doesn't? I say Degnon is third attack - Smith plays attack as well if Epstein can't go

McManus Calnan Steel - Need to Pick 2

Who's the third SSDM behind Hubler and Glassmeyer?

Is Jaronski the 2nd LSM

What is first mid-field? Epstein's presence/absence probably plays a role - if Epstein plays interesting choice between Concannon and DeSimone
I say Smith and Zinn are on firsts regardless - If Smith is on attack - Concannon/DeSimone/Zinn

2nds? - Baskin and an initial mishmash of a Concannon/DeSimone leftover (if Smith plays on firsts), Angelus, Murphy, Mabbett

Hard to remember so many questions
Based on what I saw last weekend, McManus is pretty set in stone. He and Colwell played about the same amount and seemed to come off the field at the same time. I've got no freaking clue between Calnan and Steel though. Coin flip.

Lilly and DiPietro got a ton of burn in the Nova scrimmage, but Hubler didn't play. Handsor eventually came on very late in the 4th I believe.

If Epstein is out I definitely think Smith plays attack
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The Jays have a shot this season of becoming the first team ever, to win 1000 games over program history. Only takes 9 wins. Make the playoffs and it is likely a done deal. Syracuse is about a decade behind.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not really.
From wiki: Hopkins
The team was founded in 1883 and is the school's most prominent sports team. The Blue Jays have won 44 national championships including 9 NCAA Division I titles (2007, 2005, 1987, 1985, 1984, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1974), 29 USILL/USILA titles, and 6 ILA titles,[2] first all time by any college lacrosse team and second to Syracuse in NCAA era national titles.

Cuse:
Syracuse played its first intercollegiate lacrosse game in 1916, and captured its first United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse League (USILL) co-championship in 1920 based on winning its division. It would go on to claim USILL championships in 1922, 1924, and 1925 and a coaches' poll national championship in 1957.[2]

That's quite a head start Hop had.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:51 pm Not really.
From wiki: Hopkins
The team was founded in 1883 and is the school's most prominent sports team. The Blue Jays have won 44 national championships including 9 NCAA Division I titles (2007, 2005, 1987, 1985, 1984, 1980, 1979, 1978, 1974), 29 USILL/USILA titles, and 6 ILA titles,[2] first all time by any college lacrosse team and second to Syracuse in NCAA era national titles.

Cuse:
Syracuse played its first intercollegiate lacrosse game in 1916, and captured its first United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse League (USILL) co-championship in 1920 based on winning its division. It would go on to claim USILL championships in 1922, 1924, and 1925 and a coaches' poll national championship in 1957.[2]

That's quite a head start Hop had.
Think you missed the point. Syracuse will take about another decade to get to 1000 wins. Syracuse will probably make it to a 1000 in fewer total seasons. Looking at current records, Jays look like they will do it in fewest games played. Syracuse has already lost 10 more games than the Jays.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Guess I did and I still don't get it. How does Hop play for 33 more years than Cuse, yet make it in fewer games?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

all seasons aren’t equal in terms of games played and SOS with longer seasons in more modern times.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:31 pm Guess I did and I still don't get it. How does Hop play for 33 more years than Cuse, yet make it in fewer games?
Many fewer games in those 33 years on average than in the 20s and after. Some seasons Hopkins played 2 or 3 games. I think there were a couple seasons during WW1 where they played no games. Average season was probably only 4 games during that period. By the 20s that is not happening (except during war years). I will see if I can find a copy of Hopkins record from the 1880s on. Sure it can be found on the internet.

Perhaps OC has a PDF.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Here you go. Relevant info starts on Pg 82. Have fun.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hopkinssports. ... d_book.pdf

In there first 10 seasons they averaged 1.9 games per season.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was thinking when I asked, wth, they play 3 or 4 games a year? Would figure more than that even in the days of yore.
44 championships. Can't help but wonder, did Hop have to win both games on their schedule for a few of those? ;)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:20 pm Was thinking when I asked, wth, they play 3 or 4 games a year? Would figure more than that even in the days of yore.
44 championships. Can't help but wonder, did Hop have to win both games on their schedule for a few of those? ;)
First title was 1891, they went 5-1. You now have access to all the dirty secrets. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 pm Here you go. Relevant info starts on Pg 82. Have fun.

Thanks. Some pretty crazy stuff in there. Hop goes 3-3-1 (1918), wins the USILA Championship...my, my how things have changed. Quite a number of championships with 4-5-6 wins in the list of 44.
molo

Post by molo »

Looks like the rain will be over by Saturday and the temp should be decent for this time of year. Who knows whether Epstein will play at this point? With a healthy Epstein, I expect Hopkins, who I think will be similar to last year, to get by a Tiger team that needs to replace several key offensive players as well as a dominant FOGO. Epstein versus Smith should present an interesting matchup if the former plays. If he doesn't I imagine Smith will cover his old hs teammate. Towson usually comes up with tough dmen who play good team d, but this year they have not so far come up with a dm to replace the first dm to be named MOY.
Although many--myself included--criticized the Hopkins middies last year, there is room for optimism if Zinn proves to be as good as many think he will be and if Desimone shows the improvement one would have expected from his first to second year in this, his third year. Concannon is a solid complementary middie, and Smith, or whichever attackman who is bumped up to middie along with Baskin give the Jays a handful of middies who can score.
The d, a concern last year, took a hit with the loss of Rapine, and Towson returns two starting attackmen though fortunately for Hopkins, the best attackman from last year's Tiger squad has graduated. Defensive midfield play needs to improve, but last year even with a much maligned ssmd corps, Hopkins beat Maryland twice and threw a scare into PSU. Hopkins has experienced success at the dot against good teams and returns talent there while Towson looks to replace a star at FOGO. While I don't anticipate the one sided game Hopkins laid on the Tigers two years ago at Homewood or the physical domination that Towson showed in last year's win at the U, I expect the home team, who seems to me to be a little further along at this point to win a fairly close game, particularly if their best player plays.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 pm Here you go. Relevant info starts on Pg 82. Have fun.

Thanks. Some pretty crazy stuff in there. Hop goes 3-3-1 (1918), wins the USILA Championship...my, my how things have changed. Quite a number of championships with 4-5-6 wins in the list of 44.
Well, 1918 was a war year, and most rosters were probably depleted.

Plus, as you know, lacrosse players back in the day had to hunt for their own food, in addition to studying, practicing, and fighting off the occasional coastal pirate raiders. They also traveled to games on horseback, which was quite treacherous, with hazards like bears, wolves, and giant killer rabbits (now extinct) slowing their passage. Just playing a half dozen games was an impressive feat considering the hardships the lax players had to endure.

Lax players today have it easy.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well maybe one thing where lax players today do not have it easier - playing a game at the beginning of February. While it certainly could be a whole lot worse, 42-44 with winds at 11 so a feels like 38/39 is not that great either.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

I'm ranting again but that's what old geezers do( this is my 72nd year of being a Blue Jay believer ).
Not too many years back the season started in early March and games were still being played in the middle of June usually against the Mt. Washington Wolfpack.
With the intrusion of the NC$$ and the culture of the "playoffs" on Memorial Day the season has been corrupted by TV ; the tail is now wagging the dog.
Is this a good thing ? My legs are cramped from bending over rather then sitting in the stands at Homewood on a warm summer day sharing a cold one with my Brothers...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Mt Washington was the first game usually the second Saturday in March I believe. For a number of years Yale was the first college game.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Hope Epstein plays because that match-up against Smith is why you have to love lacrosse. Two elite players going head to head.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Here’s something that has me laughing:

I think the goons are after me.

Ernie didn’t send his weekly game notes to me.

But, they don’t know that I have several email addresses, some through (Hmm) certain non-CONUS VPN accounts.

So, I got them through multiple levels of indirection.

[email protected]

Let’s all keep this VER-wee qwiet!!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”